“Atlantis Royal Towers - West Tower”

The Royal at Atlantis
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed March 2, 2014

OK, before we get started, let's get 1 thing out from the get go. The Atlantis is VERY Expensive! You should know this right up front. Once you realize this, and know it is coming, it makes the vacation a whole lot better. You are charged for gratuities out the wazoo, from $1.60 per person per night, to $10 for housekeeping gratuity, plus 15% on EVERYTHING from Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, to all restaurants. And the meals in all of the restaurants borders on outrageously expensive. So getting past this, now the resort.

The Atlantis is a beautiful resort. Our stay, except for 1 incident which we get to later, was a very nice week. I was faculty at a CME course on Friday, Saturday & Sunday, so we arrived on Tuesday to get away from a winter that just won't quit! Now I lived in Nassau for 3 months during my training, so maybe I had a heads up on things to avoid. We took a regular taxi, NOT Dan Knowles, and were charged the proper fare. We arrived at the Atlantis, and had VIP check in, with the concierge was extremely helpful and actually walked us to our room in the West Tower. I just read a recent review that blasted the West Tower because you need to "walk outside." Atlantis is HUGE, and you will do a lot of walking. But the weather was gorgeous and coming from Illinois where the Polar Vortex has taken up residence this winter, walking outside was a pleasure. Yes the East Tower is connected to the Royal Towers check in, but we are talking another short walk outside! Not miles! So the walk was not an issue. We had a very nice room on the ocean side, which was clean. It did have a slight odor that did not bother me, but my wife definitely noticed it. You are on the Atlantic Ocean, and when the A/C is not working while you are out of the room, you do get a very slight, not offensive smell. Not a real problem. We had 1 pair of slippers and no robes in the room when we arrived. Also the light on the desk would not shut off. I left a note for housekeeping the next morning and immediately we had 2 robes, another pair of slippers, and the light was just pugged into the wrong outlet. It should have been controlled by the switch at the door. Fixed! We have traveled a great deal of the world, and the Atlantis was a very nice, expensive as it is, resort. Our one "major" problem is what you read in a number of other reviews. Staff. On Friday, I was teaching and my wife was outside reading. When she got back to the room, the room was completely made up, but we had not 1 towel, bath, hand, face, in the entire room. She called housekeeping and the person on the other end said they would send some up "right away." One HOUR later, when no towels arrived she called the VIP Concierge and asked if they could help us get towels. Every time we dealt with the VIP Concierge, things were done immediately. Well 30 minutes later, now 1.5 hours after placing the 1st call, no towels arrived at the room. So she called housekeeping once again, and blasted the same person she had talked to 1.5 hours earlier. He "assured" her towels would be sent up this time. They were "having problems." After 30 additional minutes, she left the room to physically walk down to the front desk, and she met the housekeeper coming to our room with some towels. These were not the same towels we had previously received, or received after this episode. We always had thick, plush towels, and these were thin and very rough. They had a significant influx of guests on Friday, with at least 3 weddings that we saw. I think that with the cut back in staff and the increase guest load, they just ran out of towels. But except for this 1 episode in 6 days, the stay was pleasant and we did have a very nice time. Just prepare yourself for sticker shock when you go.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, get a Oceanside room on a high floor. Royal Towers and The Cove are excellen...
7  Thank Eyedoc44
Write a ReviewReviews (6,558)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We came to Atlantis on January 12-16, 2014. This trip was incredible to start to finish. After finding out I was going to Atlantis I initially got excited about it and the resort but then I started reading reviews... you know how this goes. You read a majority of good reviews, a lot of sub-par, and then the unfortunate experiences some people had and just HAD to go on and explain how they would never go back or refer this place. I just saw a few of these and starting getting nervous about the resort. Don't let people's bad experiences get the best of you because when you read these, they make you think of the negative the most. This place is awesome.

Atlantis was an absolutely incredible hotel with great decorations everywhere making you know you are in a Caribbean resort. It was very well kept and clean everywhere I went. From the immense aquarium that welcomes you into the Royal Tower lobby, all the way to the view of the property from afar, it is just all around paradise. No matter if you are staying in the Royal Towers or the Beach Towers or the other buildings, they all give you a relaxed feeling with a very rich Caribbean decor.

We stayed here in January and had incredible weather. It was about 80 degrees every day with sunny skies. We saw a minimal amount of rain/storms. This is a great time to go because its not so scorching and direct sunlight. I still left with a major sunburn/tan which you can't leave the Caribbean without!

Also during our stay, the PokerStar Poker convention was being held with thousands of poker players around. One of the nights they was a large PokerStar Tourny After Party which was just extravagant. My brother and I ended up making it inside the party and enjoying Atlantis from another light which was real fun! It made for an exciting trip and story!

Towers:
Our vacation here was with my Mom's company so I knew people staying in most of the buildings. The people said they enjoyed the other buildings and after checking them out, I can vouch that they were very nice. I stayed in the Royal Towers though with my family and could not have been happier. The Royal Towers are in the prime location for most of the area and right by the pools. The casino, which was quite large and always active, was right outside our lobby. You could walk to anywhere on the property from the Royal Towers which make them very convenient. Not to say that you cant from the other towers, but they are just in their own respective locations on the property, further away from the Royal Towers.

Rooms and locations:
Our room was perfectly clean and well decorated when we arrived. People have complained about cleaning or construction going on around sometimes, which I don't understand as they have to do it at some point. I had encountered minimal work that was going on around the property but just simply ignored it. For example they were trimming all the branches of palm trees around the main walking areas, covering and blocking them off. Yes it was inconvenient, but no, it didn't ruin anyones trip. They have to maintain the property somehow! They just seemed to be on point with maintaining this beautiful property and the buildings themselves.

Water Park:
The water park was the best part of the trip! The amount of different attractions and areas in the park to serve all types of people was great! They had small, big, long, and short rides and slides for kids to adults. They even had 2 DIFFERENT lazy rivers, one being more of a rapid river. I HIGHLY suggest the rapid river; we couldn't get off of it! It is over a mile long and ends goes through different types of rapids and then ends either in more rapids or up on the slides: your choice! I also highly suggest the tallest slides as they only get more fun the taller they get! Overall, the water park was very fitting for all people and families and not to mention very clean and well kept.

Staff:
The staff and workers around the resort of Atlantis seemed to all be very cheerful and happy to help you. I encountered very few individuals who were resistant to talk or interact but they seemed to be more of the "night crew," working later at night. Just ask if you have any questions and the staff are happy to help!

Negatives:
I would say the biggest downfall or negative quality that Atlantis has is the cost of living there. When I say this, I mean the cost to stay at the resort for a day. You have to understand this, though. This resort is expecting all types of people from billionaires to families on a budget! They have to have amenities that will fulfill the requests of the richest of people! The price of food is very high in the main hotel restaurants. We ate in places like Johnny Rocket's and the pizza place which were located by the Marina. These places were less expensive than the restaurants sponsored by the hotel, so you can imagine these restaurants, which we didn't visit. A burger, fries, and drink was probably around $16 at Johnny Rockets as an example. A large slice of pizza and a salad was probably around $10-$12. Both places had quality food though so it wasn't like it wasn't good food. I also saw a Quiznos right by these places too, just more expensive still. Just make sure you understand this and plan accordingly! Also, as you can imagine, drink prices are quite expensive, unless you are playing at the casino.

**TIPS**
Atlantis is expensive! Use 2 mindsets when going here:
- Do not worry about money and enjoy your trip here if you have the option of being able to do this. (LIVE IT UP!)
- Understand it is expensive! Plan for the expenses and prepare your group accordingly by some tips I have. (PLAN AND BUDGET!)

1.FOOD
- We brought a checked bag full of breakfast food and snacks to snack on throughout the day in the room. This seemed to be a great idea especially traveling with kids or bigger groups!

2. ALCOHOL is very expensive as you can imagine.
**THERE IS A LIQUOR STORE ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE RESORT!!!**
This liquor store is across the street from where Johnny Rockets is, by the Marina! This was so helpful since you can buy liquor here for CHEAP and make your own drinks in Atlantis! The selection was quite extensive too!
** I read about this liquor store in reviews and questioned it's location prior to going and you DO NOT NEED A TAXI!** It is within walking distance, like right across the street! Just keep this in mind because it will save you $$$!

3. DRUGS
I know this section shouldn't be relevant but it is and I just figure it is smart to know.
- Any island in the Caribbean you visit, there will be people asking if you want drugs.
- I am 23 and have experienced these requests in all the islands I've been to so it is not just the Bahamas or Atlantis, so don't let this draw you away because you will hear about it anywhere
- If you are younger looking (teen or older) and not with your family or "older people" then there will be people who ask you if you "are looking for a good time," "are looking to get high," or "need anything."
- Just say "no thanks" and walk away.
- Don't get offensive - they will not pressure you for or do anything if you aren't interested
- Mostly on the beach, sometimes by the casino or marina at night.

- If you are into this sort of thing, watch out for "undercover cops"
- I got asked in the middle of the lobby at night and figured he was probably "undercover"
- Watch out for these "undercovers" because they are looking for tourists trying to cop some drugs
- "Beach/jet ski guys" are the "best bet" if you know what I mean

BE SMART!

Overall, Atlantis is an incredible beach resort for any type of people. Whether you are a billionaire, on a budget, going with your best friends at 25 for a vacation, going for a family vacation, or an anniversary at 50, this place has it all and will accommodate your needs.

You will not be disappointed coming here as long as you prepare yourself for it!

Room Tip: All the rooms have pretty great views. Our room looked out towards one area of the property and then...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Just got back from a 5 day stay and must say how fantastic this place was for us. I have read everyone else's reviews an was really nervous before arriving but I was pleasantly surprised. It was my husband's birthday and we were upgraded to a harbour view room in the East Tower which was a great location for everything.

We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly (perhaps they liked the British accent and found politeness towards them refreshing!) in all locations.

Food was pricey, but so are all holiday locations at this time of year. Poolside food was good value and the Marketplace buffet was pricey but the choices were endless . We ate at Virgils and Carmines - the portions are HUGE, one entree was easily enough for a family of 4. Dunkin Donuts in the adjacent shopping centre was a bonus.

We used the tennis centre every day. Great courts and a great view. Towels and unlimited drinking water are provided. Shuttle bus runs here every 10 minutes or you can walk if you can stand the heat!

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a family vacation out of the summer season. If you love Vegas, you'll love this!

Room Tip: East Tower is better than the West Tower. Our room had sun on the 'balcony' all afternoon.
2  Thank HampshireSunseeker11
Reviewed March 1, 2014

On February 18, my family, and friends flew to the Bahamas. Upon checking in at the Sun Lounge, they advised me that I would be in the West Tower. I do not like the west tower because you need to walk outside to get to everything. The East Tower is centrally located. When I walked into the West Tower on my floor I smelled fresh paint. I could not believe they were putting me in this room. I walked back to the Sun lounge and demanded that they switch my room as well as my friends; room they were on the same floor. Luckily, the switched us to the East Tower. I have been to the Atlantis several times and noticed that they are not really keeping up with the maintenance of the hotel. Years ago, you would see people cleaning up by the pools, mowing the grass. Not anymore. I am sure that this is due to cutbacks. My step father who came with us also, remarked how beautiful the hotel is. Yes the lobby is georgeous and the pools and slides are great, but the upkeep is not the same. Beware of the taxis: The taxi fare should be $32 and 3 dollars extra per person, including 1 luggage and 1 carryon. There is a big sign right next to the taxi stand at the Atlantis. My parents met us 4 days later and the taxi driver was trying to double charge them for the fare. They try to get away with charging for luggage. Be aware!!!
The food was average. The one great meal was had at Nobu and Bimini Road, Olives was so so. The weather was beautiful the whole time. The casino was very tight, I did not see too many people winning, but the drink service was good.

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I get sad everytime I see an Atlantis commercial on tv : ( I just want to go back!! I had such a wonderful time in the Bahamas and so glad we stayed at Atlantis. We stayed at the Imperial Club Royal Towers. We got there at night time and had the drapes closed while sleeping. When I woke up and opened those drapes.. WOW.. My eyes could hardly take in all the vibrant, breath-taking colors of the landscape. There was never a dull moment and so much to see and do at Atlantis. The rooms were slightly outdated decor-wise, but I didn't go to the Bahamas to sit in the room. The concierge service was fantastic. They called each evening to see if we needed anything and to see how everything was going. We ordered room service once and it was delicious, plus the lady who delivered it to us was a hoot! We had such a fabulous time! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Edahl874
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Let me start by saying my family had a wonderful time in Atlantis, it is a great resort filled with very friendly people. Having said that, our transfer experience was anything but good. We booked our entire trip through Atlantis and they selected Dan Knowles for the transfers to and from the airport. This was a special trip for our 10 and 12 year old children so we decided to book the private limo for our transfers. This was a fairly expensive option (which we paid for fully in advance), but again it was a big deal for the kids who had never ridden in a limo before. What a great way to start of vacation....unfortunately it didn't work out that way. When we arrived in the Bahamas (within 20 minutes of our scheduled arrival time) there was no one waiting for us with a car. We had to search for a Dan Knowles employee and once we did we were quickly ushered to one of their dirty old passenger vans. We explained that we had booked the limo and the employee informed us they had given our limo to another group that had arrived a little early and our car would not be back for 1.5 hours. Our options were to wait 1.5 hours or take the van. I was very displeased with these options and the Dan Knowles employees were absolutely no help, they simply walked away and told me those were my options. I asked to speak to a manager and was given a phone number to call that didn't work. At this point my daughter (who was soooo looking forward to the limo ride) was now in tears, so my wife and I decided to just take the van and deal with Dan Knowles later. The van was dirty and the ride very unpleasant. I explained the situation to the Atlantis front desk and they promptly called Dan Knowles, explained the situation and was told I would get a credit for that transfer, unfortunately it is going to take three weeks for the transfer to go through (holding my breadth). We confirmed with both Atlantis and Dan Knowles that we wanted to limo for our return, confirmed the date and time and was assured everything was set and they would make it up to us. Well.....upon our departure we walk outside Atlantis and no Dan Knowles limo to be found. I asked the Atlantis employees to help and they called Dan Knowles and the arguing ensued. They said the car had this time taken the wrong people and we would again have to wait. I expressed my frustration with Atlantis and the employee confirmed that Dan Knowles is not a quality organization and they often have these problems. The last conversation I had with Dan Knowles, the individual actually hung up on me once they realized how badly they had screwed up. Absolutely no customer service whatsoever. I've spoken with the Atlantis management and informed them that their reputation as a quality resort is being tarnished by recommending and associating themselves with Dan Knowles. Bottom line...they cannot be trusted...DO NOT USE DAN KNOWLES FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank FamilyVacation22114
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Let me preface my review by saying that I travel to Mexico or the Caribbean at least once per year, so my review is in comparison to other resorts (large resorts like Iberostar in Domincian Republic and Mexico, midsize resorts in Mexico like Dreams Resorts & RIU in Costa Rica, and small/boutique resorts like Ladera in St. Lucia). Also, for some context, I traveled with my spouse and 10-month old son.

My main issue with the Royal Towers is that they have private events directly in front of the rooms that include loud music until 11pm or 12am. Of the 4 nights we were there, there were private events 2 nights (one went to 12am and one to 11pm). We were in the corner suite which was closest to the event (we were about 100 yards from the pool which is where they set up). We called the front desk to complain since the noise was waking up our son @8pm and preventing us from sleeping @10pm. Their response was "it is a private event" as if they hotel has no control over what was happening. We called 3 times and were told the last time that someone would call us back (never happened). On the 4th call, they offered to move us to another (smaller) room in the back of the hotel, which we accepted. Still, in that room, we could hear the music. We have a white-noise machine for our son and could still hear the music with it on. Before we moved rooms, we went to the front desk to ask if there would be another event (didn't want to move all of stuff unless necessary) and they told us there was no way for them to know if there was an event happening that night (?!??!).

This leads me to the my second issue with Atlantis -- the staff and service. It is so hit or miss. Some people there are very pleasant and friendly (had good experiences with the lifeguard in the kiddie pool and waiters), but others are downright rude. There was someone setting up tables in the pool area so we asked her what time the event would go until (concerned about noise again) and she said, "Why would I know that?" before sulking off. Uhm, because you work here. I realize that low-level staff may not know the answer to the question, but the least you can do is try to find out the answer. The front desk staff was also hit or miss with some being very friendly and others not even responding when I said "good morning" or "hello." I am used to staff members are resorts being over-the-top, I guess I have been spoiled.

We definitely won't be returning to Atlantis. It is not worth the money.

5  Thank Danielle K
#1 of 36 in Nassau
The Coral at Atlantis
The Coral at Atlantis
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Royal at Atlantis? Share your experiences!