“Outstanding Resort”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed in the Royal Towers and they were certainly royal. Its all about the view and we certainly had one overlooking the lazy river and ocean. One of the many things this resort has going for them are the employees, everyone was helpful, pleasant and greeted you warmly. I don't think rude employees are tolerated. Yes prices for food are high, but you can get around that. Shark Bites (poolside) offers meals for lunch for around $11 and that included a sandwich, fries and a drink. Murray's Deli also offers some inexpensive and large serving meals. We did splurge on a dinner at The Bahamian Club, a 32 oz porterhouse steak, cooked tableside which was outstanding. The resort was decorated for the Holidays and was beautiful. The pool areas were clean with plenty of staff if anyone got into trouble. The only reason this was not given an excellent rating was that so many of the restaurants ,and the pool/lazy river by the Coral/Beach Tower were closed Also the transit lounge was closed on our day of departure. The casino was nice with a good variety of slot machines, but could has used a better ventiliation for the smoke. The lack of ashtrays in the casino really made a mess with people putting out cigarettes where ever they wanted.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,488)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The personnel are courteous and efficient; the grounds are immense and beautiful. The rooms are poorly maintained, ranging from cockroaches, stained or torn pillows, stuffed drains, doors that either don't move or don't close. Repairs must be inititated by the guest. Food prices in restaurants generally start at $40 per person. Keep your receipts and review your bill carefully. Promo material can be misleading. Example room service breakfast is complimentary in the suites but they fail to tell you there is an eight dollar delivery charge

3  Thank ForestGroup
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just returned from Atlantis - Royal Towers after spending 12/19/13 - 12/26/13. We were a family of 5 in one room (2 adults, 8 year old, 5 year old, 11 month old obviously in a crib)

First of all, very easy to get there by plane. Two quick 90+ minute flights from Chicago to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Nassau (United added a direct flight after we booked last February). Trip did not start out so hot because customs was terrible. Line was not long at all (filled 3 of about twelve lanes of the queue) but they only had three people working depsite about 25 windows. We waited just over an hour which was not a fun way to start the vacation. We had heard that Bahamians arent in a rush so to speak (good for them - probably healthier than being impatient like me) so it wasn't very surprising yet still frustating as we were eager to start our vacation

We took the standard shuttle (Majestic Tours) to the hotel which was fine. I think it was $80 round trip for all of us so $242 for the limo was not worth it. It took about 40 minutes to get to the hotel due to cruise traffic in downtown Nassau. There can be upwards of 6 ships in port at one time in Nassau. We spent all of our time at the hotel on Paradise Island with the exeception of one trip to dinner at Poop Deck (no I did not say that wrong and yes the food was great and had great views of the harbor). Atlantis does allow cruise ship passengers to buy daily passes to Atlantis and the water parks/acquariums but claims they limit it during busy times of year.

Check in was fast and our food (rum, vodka, soda, bottled water) from the online delivery service was there when we arrived and the bellman helped bring it to our room. Important to note, my wife had done a lot of research in advance of the trip and we packed a suitcase full of snacks to limit our purchases at the hotel. Food prices are astronmical. We did consider the value meal plan ($80 per adult, $30 per child with one free child with two paying adults) which includes breakfast and dinner at the buffet restaurants plus Olives and a couple of the casual places like Murray's Deli. It does not include alcoholic beverages nor any lunches. We had reservations at 5 restaurants (Olives (2X), Bahamian Club, Mesa Grill, and Carmines) and canceled all of them except Olives for Christmas Day. The reason: prices were through the roof. Entrees all $40 plus meaning chickens and pastas were $40 and up from there. Instead we ended up going offsite twice, went to Murray's Deli twice had pizza once, the buffet once, and Olives. The dinner buffet while good was $165 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Oh, and before I forget, no matter where you get food (incluing walk up service at pools) they add a 15% gratuity which is fine for sit down meals but crazy at the other places. Lunches by the pools were actually reasonably priced relative to what the dinner costs were. For example, you could do burger, fries, and a soda for $10 which is still high but I have seen worse. Good news is there are multiple Starbucks onsite and a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance for breakfast. Also Quiznos

The room was plenty big for us and for the most part was clean (I have seen others on this board complain about dirty rooms. Housekeeping was somewhat frustrating as I left a note multiple days requesting 5 towels and they would always leave 3 or 4. Royal Towers is very centrally located to pools, water parks, and the aquariums which was nice. Kids club was also right at the bottom of the West Tower where we stayed (for those wondering, we sent our 8 and 5 year old there 2 times for the afternoon 1:00 - 5:00 session and it was $45 each kid each time.

The pools and slides are all over and there are plenty of them. The best part though was never had an issue with reserving chairs and there were always some available. Pools and slides open at 9AM and 10AM. The beaches also had chairs that each had their own canopies. We spent each day at the Colonnades Bath (except the first which we spent at Splashers?? (the kiddie pool with slides and waterfalls). Important note: If your child is under 48in then he/she will not be able to do any of the slides with the exception of the kiddie pool and then can only do the Rapids Ride (lazy river with some small drops and rapids) in a double tube with an adult. The Rapids Ride is generally very fun but does get a little hectic at points (I capsized once with my son, hit my head and scraped up my elbow but was fine) so be prepared although I still highly recommend it. The pools, slides, acquariums, and just the grounds in general are beautiful and really make the hotel feel like a tropical paradise

Didnt spend any time at the casino but looked very nice and the brand new sports book was great and had large LED screens. The hotel feels like a cross between the Bellagio and a resort in Hawaii. My wife described it also as Vegas with tropics and fun stuff for kids.

You need to be prepared before you go. You may prefer to not worry about the money, go to all the restaurants and I am sure have a blast but then be preapred to spend a lot of money (if you go to all of the fine dining and even most of the casual dining restaurants for dinner each night, you are easily looking at $350+ per day in food and if you spend a lot on alcohol, I could see that creep towards $450). If you come prepared with some food, order your alcohol/soda/water from the delivery service, and manage the restaurants so you do maybe just 1 or 2 nicer dinners then $200/$225 per day on food is doable. Also, if you want to do the Dolphin experience, be prepared for $185 per person and if your child goes then one of the adults has to go as well. My daughter wanted to do it but we just couldn't justify it. She still got to have plenty of fun

Overall, we had a great trip and would definitely go back.

8  Thank ejages76
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had a great time at Atlantis this Christmas. Before going people need to realize that this is not a traditional Caribbean vacation spot. Its more a combination of Las Vegas and a really nice water park on with beautiful view of the clear blue Atlantic. I do not believe I heard a Bob Marley song the whole time I was there. The service was surprising excellent. The hotel suite was a great size with a comfortable bed. The interior is on the verge of being tired but still acceptable. We found the room clean, however, one of the closets was wet due to a leaky pipe. However, maintenance cleaned up and there was no smell. The water park was great and the grounds were immaculate, a credit to the hard working friendly staff. The food at the pools was mediocre as was the food at the marketplace all you can eat. I would highly recommend Virgils Barbeque!

I could complain about the high prices, artificial environment, etc, but we knew this ahead of time. The Aquariums located throughout the property are fantastic. The dolphin interaction was slightly disappointing but the stingray interaction exceeded our expectations. My wife and kids had a great time! Thanks Atlantis!

1  Thank paul k
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We did not stay in this hotel, it was just a day trip to swim at the beach. However the beach access is restricted for visitors. We thought beaches are open for everybody. However hotel does not allow visitors to reach the beach without paying an expensive fee. This is too absurd. This hotel was one of the best in its class once, but it was not renewed over years and now it is very outdated and looks old school. Most of the main lobby is covered with an old-fashioned carpet in a beach resort!

1  Thank travelguru-su
Reviewed December 26, 2013

During our 6 days trip, we stayed in the royal tower, the view of our room is amazing (we booked a deluxe ocean view room), it is on 17th floor, we can see almost the entire resort from our room, including the beach. Here are some details about our trip:
Wifi: they do charge for wifi $19.99 per day in the hotel, for the first night, I ordered the wifi at about 10pm for the next 24hrs, so on second day, I could still use the wifi before 10pm. It is like paying $19.99 for two days. We paid for the wifi for only 1 day, for the rest of our trip, we went to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast every day, then we used the free wifi there, but the connection was poor and slow.
Eat: we had breakfast in Dunkin Dounuts almost every morning, since the price was cheap and we could use the free wifi there. We spent like $12 for two every day. We did have breakfast in the marketplace in the hotel once, it was all you can eat, it cost like $65 for two. For lunch, we ordered pool side food with the snacks we bought. For dinner, we walked to Marina Village almost every night, had dinner and enjoyed the view there. We had our 1st anniversary dinner in Olives (the restaurant in the casino, the food was nice).
Entertainment: we enjoyed the pools and rapid river. We went to the beach twice. The first time was in the evening, the second time was at noon. The views were different, but they are both beautiful, so try to go to the beach in different time, then you will enjoy it more. We also tried the dolphin activity in dolphin cay, it was a great experience, you can kiss, hold feed and take pics with the dolphin in your group, it is about 30 mins activity. At the end, we ordered our pics with the dolphin also.
Shopping: we left the hotel once for shopping in downtown. We took water taxi. The location is a little hard to find, since it is behind some buildings. You can walk there through the Marina Village, if you cannot find it, you can stop by the info center out of the Marina Village and ask for help. It is safe and almost all the people on the same boat are tourists. We bought almost all our souvenir from the straw market.
It was a nice trip, we will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: try the deluxe ocean room, the view is amazing!
1  Thank WinnieT1212
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We just returned from a 5-day vacation with our family of 4 at Atlantis. I want to preface this review by saying that I had scoured other reviews carefully and was wary of what to expect. I should also preface by saying that I can be quite particular about what I like and what I don't. Having said that, I LOVED this vacation. I have to question if the negative reviewers stayed at the same property I did. I am so glad the negative reviewed did not turn me off from going.

Here's what you should know:

Yes, Atlantis is expensive. If you are looking for a best bang-for-the-buck deal, you are probably better off at an all-inclusive in Mexico or the Dominican Republic. Nearly everything is a la carte here and prices do add up. We knew and accepted this going in and felt that, while pricey, it was worth every penny for the fun we had.

Yes, Atlantis is large. If you prefer a more compact resort, you likely won't like it. We found it amazing that every path we took unveiled something new and exciting to see - a beautiful lagoon, a view, a rope bridge, another awesome aquarium. So much to see. We quickly determined our favorite area - the Bath Colonnade pool, less crowded that the Mayan Temple but right next to an entry point for The Current, our favorite water ride, and we had no trouble finding seats there each day as long as we got out by 10 am. I would suggest doing ample research in advance so you can pick which hotel is best for you depending on what is closest.

Yes, food is costly. We signed up for the Atlantis meal plan (more on this later) mostly because I didn't want to have to worry about prices while at the resort or feel I needed to skimp. This allowed us to dine just about anywhere for breakfast and dinner. We made reservations well in advance and had a nice dinner our each night. The food is far better than nearly every Caribbean resort we've been to. You do pay for it. Lunch is not included and so we grabbed food from the bar and grills available throughout the resort. They have healthy items available too - grilled chicken, fruit, veggies, etc. Keep in mind this is an island and nearly everything offered needs to be flown in, so it already is more expensive before the resort mark up. But I do not think those prices were outrageous ($9 for a combo to buy my kids a hot dog, fries and a drink).

Yes, 15% gratuity is added to everything. It is unfortunate to have to tip for bad service. But I would say that with the exception of a handful or surly or seemingly lazy employees, 90% of the ones we encountered were incredibly gracious, hardworking, helpful and friendly. 9,000 Bahamians are employed by the resort and I'd imagine many are paid via the built in gratuities. We had little issue with this and found it common practice actually, even at the airport cafe where we grabbed a bite before our trip home. What I encountered way more than rude or lazy workers were rude and lazy guests who couldn't deign to say please or thank you, complained about lines and left their trash all around on the beach. Some even hoarded the inner tubes for the slides, stacking them next to their lounge chairs even when they weren't in use as if they owned them. They did this because it was difficult to find a free one on one particular day. The reason is was difficult is because guests were hoarding them!

Yes, the beach area is largely public and you have to avoid/ignore some local sellers there. So what? We wound up getting braids fo rmy daughter's hair ($15) and taking a jet ski out ($40 for 30 minutes... we could have bargained more) and enjoyed both. The beach itself is beautiful with enough surf for jumping the waves and ample lounge chairs.

Yes, the resort gets crowded with cruise ship visitors. There was really only one day I noticed this when we had to wait a little longer than usual on the water slide lines. The nice thing is the resort is so large that if one area and pool is crowded, you can generally find another.

We stayed at the Royal Tower and had no issue with our room. Reviewers who complained their rooms were dirty or full of broken items must have been terribly unlucky. We requested a high floor when we checked in (we had only paid for a basic room, lowest price level) and were given one on the 6th floor. It overlooked the car park / arrival area but was high enough that it had a lovely view of the harbor. Everything was clean and in working order, the bathroom nicely stocked. There was a bit of mustiness the first day - you are surrounded by water after all - but I didn't notice it after the first day.

What was GREAT:
Water slides particularly the Serpentine that leads into the shark tank which we rode dozens of times and The Current - so much fun!
The beach - beautiful, great water, waves, steps from the resort
The grounds - so much to see, underground tunnels, aquariums, lagoons, sea turtles, sharks. We took a different path everywhere we went. Free entertainment.
Marina Village - just walking through here on the way to the restaurants, we loved seeing all the million dollar yachts parked here!
The restaurants - we had daily breakfast at the Marketplace buffet each morning. A multitude of options, 5 omelette stations (to minimize waiting), an entire carafe of coffee each, etc. Had an amazing meal at Mesa Grill, loved the appetizers at Casa d'Angelo and the desserts at Olives. Also ate at Cafe Martinique and Seafire Steakhouse. Too much food, all excellent.

What was not so great:
Water pressure was low in shower around 5 pm when rest of hotel is showering. One day we were shorted a towel and had to call down twice for it. Service at two of our dinners was very off with long waits between courses. These were nuisances but not vacation ruiners but I sense the kind of thing other reviewers would make major complaints about.

No cameras allowed at dolphin experience = $70 charge for selection of 5 "professional" photos

If I were to go again, I likely wouldn't do the expensive meal plan. The food was EXCELLENT but was more than we really needed (we don't usually order an appetizer and a dessert each) and for our kids who fell in the 7-11 "must order off the kids' menu" range, it was not worth the $50 per day for each. Some restaurants didn't even offer apps or desserts on the kids' menu - Atlantis should correct this. Unless you only like to eat the most expensive fare at the most expensive restaurants, I think you can dine cheaper without the meal plan.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room - even if facing away from the beach (you likely won't get an ocean vi...
4  Thank Val G
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
1 mi away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!