“Very Good but will never be Great”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Let me start by saying our family has stayed EVERYWHERE. So I write this with a pretty good knowledge of what should be expected at quality hotels. Although this is a beautiful property, the service provided is definitely second to third tier. This being said I do not blame the staff. They were, contrary to other reviews, very friendly. They have simply not been trained in how to provide world class service which is a direct reflection on management.
If your looking for a very nice family vacation this an excellent choice. We swam with dolphins, parasailed, went on countless water rides, and spent countless hours doing what we do best, laying by the pool with margaritas. The DIG , which is an inhouse aquarium was also very nice. There are definitely a plethora of activities. Mesa Grill was excellent and we've been to the restaurant on 5th ave 5 times. Nobu was also good, better on 57th st though. Seafire Steakhouse was fair and Carmines was well, Carmines. Mesa and Nobu will set u back about $400 with drinks for 4. Prices are about 20-30% higher than NYC if you can believe that. Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio was $70, its about $55 in NYC. Stick to beer for the adults- about $8 for all kinds. They are willing to split dishes for kids so you figure 1 filet mignon $55 divided by 2. I have read people recommending the meal plans- no way. I calculated I saved about $300 doing it on my own compared to picking the Gourmet plan. In Disney the meal plans are great-not here. We also had a dinner at a couple of places at Marina Village for around $80.
The property really does have it all. It just isnt going to be a bargain and you're not going to get world class service. We've stayed at Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Grand Floridian, Ritz Carlton-Cayman etc. which all have world class service and will cost you the same but you know what? Your kids will have a better time at Atlantis(except for Disney). I sincerely hope this review has been helpful. The only way you really know if its worth the trip is if you can trust a review, whether it be word of mouth or written.
P.S.- I booked it through their website 9 months ago and called about a month prior and saved $800- it cost us $550 a night in Royal Towers- double queen

2  Thank Ny_nyHonestreviewer1
There are newer reviews for Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection

Reviewed July 20, 2008

I just got back from a 5 night stay at Atlantis. My husband, 2 year old daughter and I stayed in the Royal tower. We also traveled with extended family (about 20 of us total). I am from San Diego and am used to traveling to nice, luxurious places. I was very excited to travel to Atlantis after reading reviews and researching Atlantis, but I was let down. I am not picky, but when I pay for a top notch vacation, I expect the best. I am not exagerating about any of what I am about to share with you. Where should I start:

CHECK IN: We arrived at the Royal tower and we waited for a person to check us in for about 20 minutes. Check in took forever (about an hour long). There were numerous problems. One of our rooms were ready, while the others were not. They expected us to stick around until a room was available. We were all seperated when we were promised rooms in the same tower. Some had to go over to the East tower, while others in the West tower. They even said one of us were staying at the Cove, which was not true. Many of our families rooms were not ready until 4:00 or 5:00 that day. Total waste of a day for them and they had young children with them who needed a nap. Now to the rooms.

ROOMS:
The rooms were horrible. We booked about 6 rooms and each one of them smelled like mildew. The rooms were very small and looked runned down. We had rooms in the West and East wing and this was the same for both. The rooms are very basic, not luxury at all. You cannot walk out to the balcony either. One of the rooms had an ocean view, but you couldnt open the sliding door to look outside. Even though the Royal tower is the center of the all, it takes forever to walk to the beach or pools. Be prepared to walk, walk, walk. If you have children, bring a stroller. It is a long walk to everywhere. You varely spend anytime in your room because it takes forever to walk from the room to the pools, beaches, and resturaunts.

POOLS:
There are many pools to choose from, but none have ocean view. To me the resort seemed more like a theme/water park then an upscale resort. Very Vegas style. The only pool that looked clean and relaxing was the Cove pool called Caines. The only problem is that you have to be a Cove resident and no kids allowed. There are too many pools and it is overwhelming. You cant enjoy a drink in the water either. There are children and families everywhere, so if you are on a honeymoon go tot he Cove or dont go to Atlantis at all. Not a romantic place. All pools close at 7:00pm. I know I like to enjoy the pool area at night, but your not allowed.

SERVICE:
Most everyone who works at the resort is slowwww. It takes them forever to take your order or deliver your drinks and food. Many of them expect a tip from you even though gratuity is added to your bill. My nephew got injured on the kiddy slide and was gushing blood out of his eye and it took the life guard 10 minutes to get to him. It didnt seem like the workers were there to serve you. many of them were rude when you asked a question, but not all. They will clean your room only upon request.

PRICES:
I am used to high prices, I live in San Diego and dine out regularly and to nice restuarunats, but I have never seen prices like this. Ridiculously priced! We were expected to spend money at Atlantis, but the prices here are like no other. We have been to New York and spent a lot of money on food and didnt have a problem because it was good quality food, and we are used to resort prices, but I have never seen anything like this. A small bottle of water was 5.00 and hamburger and fries were almost 30.00. A drink at the pool is at least 10.00. Buffet dinner is 52.00 a person. A bagel is almost 10.00. We even went to the local market and prices are expensive there too. I felt ripped offf and I know I was. I dont like the feeling of being taken advantage of and I know I was and could not do anything about it.
FOOD:
The resturaunts at Atlantis are not that good. The quality of the food is just ok. The buffet at the marketplace was decent. Mesa at the Cove was decent, but nothing special. For lunch, all there is to eat is fries, hamburgers, hotdogs and nachos. How much of this can you eat though. I am sick of the fried, fake food being served. Very commercial food. I think I lost weight while I was there because the food did not taste good. We went to town twice and ate at Senor Frogs, which was probably the best meal we had and Fish Fry which was disgusting. One of us actually got sick from it. I do not reccomend leaving the resort for food unless you go tot he market. Marina Village is a good place to eat, but very pricey and a far walk. Pool drinks are not good either. Very commericial pina coladas and daquiris.
NIGHTLIFE:
None. Don't leave the resort because there is nothing out there. Every store closes at 5:00 pm and it doesnt seem too safe. That is just my opinion. Senor Frogs one night was fun, but thats it. We walked the Marina Village every night that we got sick and tired of it. Nothing to do if you are looking for a fun time.
BEACHES: The only beach that is nice for swimming and lounging around is the one near the Cove. It is a long walk from the Royal tower though. This is where we hung out. My daughter could play in the sand and we sat in the water. The other side of the beach, by the casino smells and is not swimmable.The lagoon, which is like a fake beach smells and has mildew growing in it.
COMMUNICATION:
THere is none. Cell phones dont work in or around the hotel. We called our provider and even activated the international calling, but none worked. When we got off the resort, they worked. I reccomend taking walky taklkies or something, because the resort is huge and it is almost impossible to find your family. A collect call is soemthign like 20.00 a minute and calling cards can only be used in 1 area and there is always a line to use them.
OVERALL:
Atlantis is a rip off. I think it is hyped up too much. The landscape is nice, but nothing special. It reminds me of a Vegas hotel. The resort is not very kid friendly in my opinion when it cmes to restuaruants. We like eating good food and all the decent restuaruants do not allow children under 12 years old. So we were limited to eating at the buffets and bar and grills which were awful. I would much rather go to Cancun. Nicer beaches and water, resorts, and food in Cancun. When you walk up to your rooms and pass the Manta Rays and fish, it smells really bad, like the sewer. If you do stay at Atlantis, I would only stay at the Reef or Cove, they seemed like the only clean towers. I am happy to be home. As soon as I got to the U.S airport, I rushed to get something decent to eat. Never will travel to the Bahamas again. I will go to Cancun in a heartbeat comparing to Atlantis.
No luxury unless your at the Cove. Beaches are just ok and food is horrible. I really am not that hard to please when it comes to hotels and vacations, but I just dont want you to get ripped off like we did. If you ahve questions, please feel free to ask and I will give you my honest opinion.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank attarc
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Stayed at the Royal Towers July 2 - 12. Their celebration of our 4th of July was awesome.
Unlike other reviews we had read, our experience with the staff - everyone (housekeeping staff, bartenders, wait staff, life guards) - was friendly, courteous, well mannered, helpful and pretty much tried to please any request if asked.
The food and drinks are pricey, but at least they are all very good. In the end, we didn't mind the automatic 15% gratuity add-on because service was always excellent.
Water park is a lot of fun, slides are great, wait times not long at all. Lagoons are awesome, great snorkeling.
Hotel lobby is beautiful. Their "aquariums" are amazing, the marine life is just spectacular and is just a pleasure to look at.

2  Thank Cici30
Reviewed July 18, 2008

The grounds, water venues, landscaping, interior design, aquarium life, and rides were phenomenal!! We enjoyed the tube rides every day, loved the foliage, music playing all over the grounds, plenty of chairs with sunshades by all the pools, great rapid river ride, great water slides, beauty everywhere! There's no solution for the expensive food. You are trapped on the island with $60. rountrip taxi rides to the mainland to purchase less expensive food. Overall the grounds are worth visiting at least once in your life. The Royal Towers were in a great location and beautiful hotels!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank gioia26
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We had a wonderfull stay at the Atlantis ! We were a family of 6,mom,dad,grandma and kids,13,10 and 8.We were there for 5 nights 6 days. We used the car service "Celebrity" , very nice company and very prompt. We used them for arrival and departure. We had 2 adjoining rooms,clean,big and comfortable.We stayed on the 17th floor,ocean view, gorgeous !!!. Our stay was great , the service was great. The employees were very nice, laid back , but still very nice. The first thing to do is tour the property and learn your way around on the first day !! This will make navigating in this huge resort much better. And ask,ask,ask, any of the staff,for directions. It is better than trying to find your way around from solely the map that they give you .
We were on the gourmet food plan, which in our opinion was too much food ! It is worth it for those who like to have a gourmet sit -down dinner every night and then a nice big breakfast every morning. We ate at some very nice places that we would not have done off the food plan,but it was still too much food. We had dinners at:
Carmines- good food,huge portions,took some food back to room for next day lunch
Bahamian Club-very good food,normal portions,elegant setting
Great halls of Water-good food,smaller portions,beautiful aquarium setting.
Casa d'Angelo-great food !!! Loved everything about this place, fresh food, good portions .
Mosaic-high end buffet, very good as well. !!!! Everything from sushi to steaks,pasta,stir fry,salads, antipasto........
Our breakfast places were:
Mosaic- buffet,very good, our favorite for breakfast
Marketplace- buffet,good food
Murrays deli-sit down brakfast,just o.k.
Food is expensive there but if you do a little extra planning,it will not be that bad. We brought a collapsable cooler and bought waters and soda at a convenient station before arriving at the resort. Our driver "Farley " from the car service stopped there for us at no additional charge. We also requested a refrigerator in our room to keep the drinks and any leftovers from dinner cold. We would order the fresh friuit plate for dessert at dinner and have them wrap it up to take,. It made a great refreshing snack the next day at the beach. We also bought some individual bagged snacks,rice krispie treats, M&M's and Hershy kisses for the room, from home. Thiese things kept the kids happy !Pack them in your suit case in a hard plastic container and they wont get smashed.
We like the Cove beach the best and stayed there ,it was also close the the "baths" pool which was also our hang out. The slides were great and the "current" lazy river ride was also fun,but be careful because there are some rough water spots..
We did the Dolphin encounter at Dolphin Cay, the kids loved it . It is a 90 minute presentation from start to finish. This means about 30 minutes in the water with the dolphins.The pools were beautiful, the grounds were clean. It did get crowded at the pools by 9:30, so we would get there early and get our towels on beach chairs to assure our spots.
Shopping is very upscale and expensive on the resort, such as Guccie,Versace, Faconable,cartier,,,and so on. We did however take a ferryboat ride to Nassau and did a little shopping at the Straw Market. It was an experience but still fun. You can find some good deals on ,t-shirts, costume fun shell jewelery and things like this for a fraction of the price the resort had them for. We did take a taxi back . One way on the ferry was plenty !
The Dig is a must see , you walk through a under ground museum, engulfed with aquariums of beautiful sea life. Very soothing place to be. You can go through in about 10-15 minutes and it is open all day long.
All in all it was a great trip. Yes it is expensive,but worth the experience. We cannot wait to go again.

1  Thank melinaMissouri
Reviewed July 12, 2008

What can I say about the Atlantis, except for it was great. Some of these reviews are way off. First the food is very expensive but if you go expecting the high prices and save for it, it is not a shock. The gourmet meal plan was well worth the money. We got into every restaurant we wanted to all but one in a 6 night stay without a reservation. Carmine's and the Bahamain Club were our favorites. The staff could not have been nicer we did not run into a rude person once at the resort. We were always greeted with a friendly good morning or good night. Every night we walked around the resort after dinner and took in the fantastic sights and great aquariums. My daughter loved the kids club she attended 2 afternoon sessions and had a great time. It was very safe and I felt fine leaving her there. Casino was fun, we won a couple of times. As far as cleanliness I saw staff cleaning constantly from around the pool area to all the restrooms throughout. The problem with litter and filth I saw was that people feel they are on vacation so they do not have to clean up after themselves and that I feel is rude. Throw out your own trash. The lounge chair issue is also the fault of the guests, on several occasions I saw towels left on lounges all day and the people never came back to use them and they sat empty. I felt that was wrong. We found a lounge everyday. We loved the pools and slides especially the lazy river/current ride. For us it was a great time at a beautiful resort and we highly recommend it.

2  Thank LIgirlNewYork
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I stayed at the Royal Towers 15th floor for 4 nights and I thought that was great. I dont agree with some of the reviews that the service staff was not friendly. The moment I walked out my door, I was greet by the cleaning staff to just about everyone with a "Good morning" "Good afternoon".

That place is a family's paradise. I however, went for for R&R and although there was a great deal of children around, it did not bother me too much because there are so many options during the day that you interaction with kids can be minimal. The Cove, has an adult only pool, but its only for Cove guest - bummer!

The Dolphin Cay experience was just about the best thing at Atlantis. Although they do not allow you to take your cameras and then charge you $15.99 for one picture or US$125.00 for a CD with all your pictures. The best advice, is take someone extra with you, who can sit on the beach chair and take your pictures for you. Of course you will have to have a camera with a decent zoom.

The spa layout is great, service - ok. Prices - just like any other high-end resort Spa. So no complaint here. I think everyone should have a spa experience here.

The water rides are awesome- lots to do! And the Mayan Temple ride is crazy!!! I wish I could tell you I enjoyed it, but I closed my eyes and scream the entire way down. I would do it again, but I need my friends with me.

i love the fact that I did not have to walk around with cash. The room key acts like a credit card. So you must have your room key everywhere you go...Spa, Dolphin Cay, restaurants etc and its charged to your room and you settle at check out and you can check your bills on the TV in your room (and check out).

Of course your room key doesn't work in the casino, save an except, everytime you play you should give them your key to note you have played and rate you. Apparently, once you play more than $50-$80 in a 4 hour period you qualify for comps (complimentary services). I was very happy to find out that all my food and beverage charges to my room would be comp!!! However, I only found that out the day I was checking out - otherwise, I would have ordered more! I am not a huge gambler, but I played 2 games - the roulette and caribbean stud poker. didn't win. but had fun and the staff was great.

I found the guest toilets around the property should have been equipped with the sanitary (disposable) toilet covers and the staff are hungry for tips which are such a turn off.

There is no doubt the food is double its price on this property. But if you read the reviews before, you not only expect that you can take active steps to reduce those cost. The buffet are wonderful at the Cove esp breakfast. You have a good meal in the morning, you dont have to eat a full meal till dinner time. And you pack your mid-snack in your luggage or go out to Awarak Cay to try the local foods which are much cheaper.
When I went to the Spa, I took part in the free fruits etc At Dolphin Cay I stocked up on the free drinks! And I only time I ordered alcohol was when I was at the Casino and the drinks was free! Just give the wait staff a little tip and the drinks flowed whole night.

The only bad experiences was with the IT staff who was supposed to come and assist me in 10 -15 mins and still never reached! And on 2 occasions I called guest services and no one answered. Never really experienced that at another so called "top class" hotel before.

Overall, I had a great time, and intend to go back for sure!

Stayed: July 2008
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!