“It's the Atlantis, what more can I say.”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This place lives up to all the excitement and hype that is advertised. A fun water park, giant fish, very nice grounds and plenty to do for everyone. The rooms are average, with tacky bright colors and hard beds, but if you're like me you only come to the room to sleep. I would not pay more for the Royal tower. Its all connected and you have access to all the same stuff. Its not worth a few hundred more a Night. You'll need that extra money. The things you need to think of when coming is price and cleanliness and safety outside the resort. The prices in the Bahamas, especially at the atlantis are crazy high for everything. Not high like a few dollars high. High like double. And the rest of the island outside of any resort or excursion is gross. Two people with me got sick from the fish fry. The resort and excursions are worth going, but just think Tijuana when you wonder what the rest is like.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jason M
Write a ReviewReviews (6,414)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed July 9-14, 2013 and had a fabulous trip! We stayed in the East tower this trip, and that was nice to be so close to everything. The room was clean and the view is amazing. I do think it is worth paying the extra to be in the Royal Tower because it is so centrally located to all of the rides and everything that you will want to do and see. We paid for the terrace view, but were upgraded to the water view. I have stayed in both and liked both areas. I love all the waterslides and pools, and it is so neat to see all marine exhibits. Most of the waterslides do require you to be 48" tall to ride, but they do have a couple areas dedicated to smaller children. We did have the dining plan, and we ate at the buffet in the Royal Tower (Marketplace) most of the nights we were there. It is delicious!! It has a little bit of everything so you can have different things each night. I loved the stir-fry station! The bottle water is a bit pricey at the pool, but we got a liter bottle and asked for 4 cups of ice to go with it - it was $9.78. They do add 15% gratuity onto everything (including a bottle of water) so be prepared to pay that when you get there. We had a great time, and I would recommend this resort to anyone!

Room Tip: Get a room in the Royal Towers!
4  Thank YvonneB_71
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just like the name, you do get a feeling of the Atlantis world. It is a 5 star resort and everything is neat and clean. All water sports are amazing, they are a bit expensive from locals, but then the machinery used is absolutely brand new and updated ones.
Make sure to pre book in advance. We went here while taking a cruise to bahamas.

1  Thank Aarian
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have traveled to the Atlantis 6 times in the last 10 years. We have stayed at the Royal Towers, on the Club level, each of the visits except the first. I have traveled with my spouse, with a large group of families (including 8 kids), and with girls' on a girl's getaway. We live in Florida, and the Atlantis is close and full of family-friendly activities. As such, we have absorbed the extraordinary expenses related to the resort, usually, with a smile on our collective faces. I have just returned from the Atlantis and believe, without hesitation, I won't be back. This saddens me, because, in the past, I have been really quite happy there - the adults enjoy the casino, aquaventure and fine(er) dining - and the kids (aged 3-18) love the entire experience - NO DOUBT about it.

Now, unfortunately, the place has become dirty. There are stickers (from the photographers) and chewed gum (from unclean guests) stuck all around the Rapids attraction. There is garbage thrown into the landscaping. There is garbage throughout the "Dig" - the pool decks aren't draining (after the rain) and the grounds seem run down in general. The walkways to the slides are littered with trash. I didn't feel great about walking barefoot with the kids, at times. Again, this saddens me, as I was a big, big fan and a bigger proponent of the property to friends and family looking for a great vacation destination.

The staff (with the exception of the concierge, bartenders on the Club level at the Royal Towers - who are really, quite great) don't seem to care. They are rude, at times, and genuinely resentful or uninterested at others. The towel hut attendants are dismissive, in general. Some of the wait staff seem less than interested in serving their guests, and seem annoyed to even be at work.

Allowing non-Atlantis "visitors" to come to the property (cruises unload every day, it seems) for day trips, takes away what used to make the Atlantis special - you can't get served, you can't get towels, you can't get chairs and the lines to the slides are bordering on ridiculous. Maybe these are the same people who, because they aren't paying for the resort, find it acceptable to "trash it". Who knows, but the owners of the resort need to take a hard look at what they have allowed to occur to this once beautiful property.

The property used to thrill me. It now disappoints. If your kids really want to go there (and trust me, I understand this) - then take them, but a few tips to remember (1) stay on a club level - it will save you countless dollars in the long run on food and drinks + you will have much better service from the time you check in, until the time you check out and (2) don't expect "Disney" cleanliness nor "Disney" service - you will be disappointed. This is not the Ritz. They don't pride themselves on service. You have to pretty much accept that you are going to pay through the nose, and look the other way when things disappoint, all in the name of a good family vacation.

I am actively looking for another Caribbean destination - one that offers 4 to 5-star service and attention to detail AND offers the great pools, water park feel the Atlantis used to offer, so everyone can again be happy.

Room Tip: Always book in the Club levels.
7  Thank TeresaFLA
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family of 3 stayed at this hotel for a week. This was not where I wanted to go, but my daughter has seen the commercials for the water park and this was her choice, so we did it. It did not start well. First, the weather was bad for the first 3 days -- constant rain and cold and the water park was closed most of the days. When we first arrived from our delayed flight due to weather, we were given a key to our room. Upon getting to our room, we found that the room had not been prepared since the last guest left. The hotel comped us a few dollars on our bill, but we had to wait about an hour for the room to be cleaned. There was nothing open except the Market restaurant (all buffet style), so we thought we would use the room comp to pay for the meal. The comp didn't even cover half of the meal. Then, after we got to our room and we unpacked all of our belongings for the week, we realized that the Air Conditioner was set on about 50 degrees and we were unable to turn it off. We slept with the balcony door open to warm us up. The management came the next day and said that we could move 6 floors lower to a room with little view (we paid for a water view) or we could stay in the room with bad AC. Moving would have required we lose even more hours at the resort and lose the nice view we had on an upper floor. We stayed in the room because my husband discovered how to disconnect the AC, so we were either without AC or freezing. I dreaded going back to the room because we were usually wet from the water park and the room was soooooo cold (unless we dismantled the AC). We were not offered any other comps after the first day being delayed to check in. Then the AC started leaking and the carpet was soaked and every item from paper to clothes was wet with the humidity in the room. And by the 4th day it started to smell. Still we stuck it out and stayed in that room. The hotel is starting to show some age, and in fact, the service button to request room cleaning fell off the wall before we left. Additionally, for a high priced hotel room, we would expect not to be able to hear our neighbors or those in the hall. We could hear every word our neighbors spoke through the walls and people running in the halls. The food is also ridiculously expensive. And, I found that if you shop at the hotel gift shop, the items are sometimes more expensive at the Royal Towers than they are at another gift shop at the other end of the resort. We purchased two souvenir beach towels and paid $14 more at Royal Towers than we would have paid at one of the other shops. Shop around before you buy. Okay, these things notwithstanding, we had a fantastic time at the resort. The hotel is in the best location for the water park, dolphin cay and is still very close to the beach and other amenities. If we ever go back, we will stay at one of the less expensive hotels or the villas so that we can even cook in and not pay for every meal at a restaurant. We loved the Bahamas and most of the people we met were very nice. We felt very safe at Atlantis. The beach and all the amenities were clean and well cared for. This is a beautiful property, but we will stay at one of the other hotels next time.

4  Thank 3skippingtown
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went to Atlantis with my husband and two daughters ages 4 and 11 forr my husband and 4 year old birthday. i booked my trip thur travelocity and got a really good deal with my 15% off coupon i stayed at royal towers Aleitha at the front desk was so nice as were all the staff. The room was nice and clean and when ever i had an issue they dealt with it ASAP and even called to check to make sure everything was ok. food was expensive but Virgils was not too bad because its family style dinning and the plates are large. Market Place Buffet was good and nice family atmospher my kids loved the deserts just a little to expensive it came up to $146 for the four of us. We ate downtown at scans food was pretty ok and prices were resonable. it fun to take the ferry during the day cost the same as a cab ride. The stay was great and i travel alot have never had such a nice time in bahamas and i have been there twice before and was not impressed but Atlantis changed that i will be returning. O and the Beach is the best and im not a beach person but i loved there beach it was nice and clean with no sea weed.

Room Tip: take ferry and go into town or a cab food is cheaper and taste good
1  Thank r c
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Atlantis for my daughter's wedding. My husband, myself and 5 of our grandchildren were at the Royal Towers. Our rooms were in the West Tower, which appears to have been recently renovated. Our adjoining rooms were spacious, roomy, cleaned daily and considering there were 5 kids in the room, Bernadette did a wonderful job keeping it clean! Having vacationed at Atlantis a couple of years ago I was looking forward to returning. Boy, was I ever in for a rude surprise! Although the kids loved the water attractions I must say this stay was a major disappointment. I found most of the staff to be as helpful and pleasant as before (with a few exceptions), however the price gouging and the crowds were ridiculous. Generally around 9 or 10 AM the tour groups from the cruise ships start arriving. The tour groups were then paraded through the facility prior to them settling down poolside. One particular day there were 4 ships docked and literally, you could not walk through Atlantis - it was like a mall the day before Christmas! The pool areas were so crowded you couldn't get a poolside chair or a tube to float down the Lazy River! And the prices! Wow, how a family can afford to eat there is beyond me! And there was no refrigerator in our room in the West Tower - other than the stocked bar, with very explicit instructions that if anything in the refrigerator was even moved - you would be billed for it! And there are lines for everything! Lines for coffee, lines for meals, lines for activities - it seems the paying guests at Atlantis take second place to how many people Atlantis can pack in daily from the cruise ships! And as a cruiser myself I certainly have nothing against cruise ships, but one resort simply cannot realistically accommodate 4 shiploads of passengers along with their own paying guests! Additionally, my daughter had purchased some sort of "package deal" for various activities for the children. At check-in we were given a total of 5 discount cards - one for each child. We ultimately found out that Atlantis would only accept 3 of these discount cards per activity/per family and ended up having to pay the difference at checkout. So why were we given 5 discount cards when Atlantis only accepted 3? In closing I must say that I was extremely disappointed with our experience. I have had excellent experiences with other resorts in the Caribbean and in the future will not be returning to Atlantis. There is a new resort scheduled to open in 2014 - the Baha Mar - and I think Atlantis better get their act together or they're going to be in a very bad way!

5  Thank plm124
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
1 mi away
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
1 mi away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!