“Mega Resort with something for everyone...except”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great resort for active families, couples, singles. Teens center, Crush, the best anywhere so if traveling with 10 and up great vacation, be prepared for hefty day pass rates or check on a package rate. Rooms are nice, decent size with great location in the tower which is closest to the waterpark etc. Prepare for lots of walking, not much privacy or quiet time, as it's a very busy tower and resort. Meal plan definitely worthwhile as typically at Starbucks for coffee/muffin $10, lunch $25minimum, dinner minimum $50 etc. Nice size Casino. Grounds are beautiful with plenty of chairs around the pool etc. Pools are not heated so can be cold during the winter months. 15% gratuity is added to all services, this is applicable to the entire island. Ferry to downtown Nassau $4 and a quick 15 min crossing. Buses are your best bet for a reasonable ride. Taxi $10-$28 downtown/airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie B

Reviewed April 2, 2013

After several trips to other Casino's in the island you will find that this property is well run and top notch for service. Limits are as high as vegas and and plenty of tables to play. Craps has 8 tables to play and on weekends all 8 are open and close to full. Managers are extremely aware of who and what you are betting, so more than fair ratings are written down. Comps are very tough because of the quality the hote. Food is great. Pools are great! Everything is great, except that it is very, I mean very expensive with automatic gratuity on everything. Once you stay at this hotel, you will not want to stay anywhere else. Quality Quality Quality on everything they do, but at a price. Beaches are outstanding.

Room Tip: Beach tower lower end, Coral tower lowest end but if you kids good side to stay on since beach and k...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank eric b
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We absolutely loved our trip to Atlantis. We traveled to Atlantis for 5 days back in September and I won't return unless it's during that time of year again. Yes, it's the "off-season" and people are concerned about the weather....but the staff was overly nice, we never waited in line at the waterpark for any ride, we had any option we wanted for loungers at the pool and the beach, we were not required to make dinner reservations even at the fine dining locations, and guess what, the weather was PERFECT. Highly recommend traveling in September!

Starting from the airport, please read the signs posted everywhere. The taxis are only allowed to charge you a certain amount per person/group. The taxi drivers want to talk your ear off but they are rude when they don't get the response they want. Customs takes forever, if you are hungry, get something in the terminal before going down to the customs area because you cannot go back and the process is at least an hour and a half, plus another 45 minutes before getting to your hotel.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. Very will maintained and very expansive. When you think you're done exploring, you're not, there is so much to see. The Dig is amazing, very cool aquarium and setting, you feel as though you are submersed into another time and culture. There are multiple lagoons throughout the property with different marine life in each. The Beach and Coral towers are dated, the Royal Towers are well maintained and in the middle of everything, The Cove made you feel like you were in NYC and not in the Caribbean, but I guess that's personal taste. Each tower had its own feel.

We stayed in an Oceanview Room. It was average, standard Caribbean style room. I don't go on vacation to stay in the room so I don't pay for extravagant. The room was nice, bed was very comfortable, and housekeeping never missed a beat. The balcony is a walk-out, not a sit down, which was also fine for us. We had an upper level room on the East side which gave a perfect view of the grounds, waterpark, and the beach (the beach is far because of the size of the grounds).

When we booked, we got the $200 airfare credit that came right off of our invoice. We also got 1) One Shallow Water Dolphin Interaction 2) One Round of Golf 3) 2 cocktails at Seafire Steakhouse 4) One Sushi & Sake Sampler for 2 at Nobu and 5) I forgot what this was because we didn't use it. All the vouchers were very easy to use with no trouble or expectation to purchase more, with the exception of the Dolphin Interaction. We have done plenty of dolphin interactions in the past so we were only going to do this one because it was "free". One person does get to do the interaction for "free" but nobody can even go back to the area with you unless they pay...just to enter the area and watch. I thought this was crazy and my only bad experience. I didn't want to do the interaction, I just wanted to watch my husband do it and I couldn't unless I paid. Other than that, the package was a great addition.

We did not purchase the dining pass. Personally, I think it's a waste of money. After we left the airport, we had our taxi stop at the local grocery in town to get some snacks, water, and mini meals before crossing the bridge to Paradise Island where Atlantis is located. This saves a lot of money! When we did eat at the resort, we ate at Atlas Bar & Grill and at Virgil's BBQ. Both places have very good food and their meals are big enough to share! We were always full and had leftovers every time. Sharing also saves money! For breakfast we just picked up a breakfast sandwich at the bar next to the Marketplace Buffet instead of paying all that money to eat at the buffet. This is what everyone is talking about when they say it's so expensive! They are talking about the food, but there are ways to save!

The waterpark was everything I expected. The Lazy River and The Current was the best "river" rides I've been on. It takes about 30 minutes to finish so it's very relaxing and chill. There are plenty of exit points so don't worry about getting stuck. Pretty much all the rides let out into the river. Be careful on The Falls, the water coaster, you have to lift your butt or you will come off with a nice bruise from hitting the bottom! The beach was very clean and beautiful.

On site they have a free movie theater that shows movies that are pretty current every night. They also have a Comedy Club that was worth the $20 to get in for the entertainment. The Marina Village for souvenirs was good. Also, they have a library in the Coral Tower that you can get free internet if you are going through withdrawals.

A great vacation that I think everyone should go on at least once, as long as you are prepared for the cost. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank StarPlayer77
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Unfortunately, as it seems, not only in Brazil consumers have their rights violated. Some companies prefer to take advantage of their position and simply ignore when a costumer faces problems inside their domains. In my case specifically, The Atlantis Paradise Island, located in the Bahamas, a company with a great reputation, didn’t live up to its name.
From the 18th to the 24th of January, both my girlfriend and I, stayed at the Atlantis Royal Towers, in The Bahamas. Even though the service was great and the accommodations wonderful, on the 23rd I decided to pay our bill and, apparently, something went wrong.
Around midnight, 24th, I approached the front desk and explained my wish to end my debt. At first, we tried to solve this using a debit card, however it didn't work. I proceeded to the nearest ATM (in the Casino) and withdrew the amount necessary to pay the bill and returned to my room.
On the last day, I went back to the front desk. I explained to the hotel employee I was checking out and wished to end my debt in cash. The concierge took the money and confirmed that the payment was done, gave me the change and said I owed nothing else. He, then, gave me the receipt in an envelope, which I took and left.
To my uttermost surprise, when my credit card company sent me my bill I noticed that I was being charged again, for the amount which I had already paid IN CASH at the moment of my check-out. For that reason, I immediately, contacted the hole, via phone, to try and solve the issue.
Mrs. Suzanna Knowles-Fernander, Quality Assurance Manager, said that to resolve that matter I would have to send an e-mail soliciting that an administrative investigation took place. Thus, I proceeded as instructed by Mrs. Suzanna Knowles-Fernander and sent an e-mail requiring that the company watched the footage of the security cameras to see that I wasn’t lying and just wanted to preserve my rights.
On February 20th, I sent an e-mail in which I elucidated every detail of the situation. However, the company didn’t respond. I insisted and sent another e-mail on February 28th, to which I got a response on March 4th. And once again, I was taken by surprise.
The hotel offered me a 2 night complimentary stay at the Royal Towers Water view, which added up to US$640.00 and was far from what I had been charged. Hence, on the 15th of March, around 5 p.m., Caribbean time, I tried calling the hotel to discuss the problem, but was unable to find somebody, even Mr. Ghandi Knowles-Thompson – Risk Management Manager, who could solve the question.
Finally, on March 20th, I stayed for over half an hour on the phone with the hotel director, Mrs. Deedee. And, believe it or not, after almost two months, I was told that all the hotel could do for me was to extend their previous offer to a 4 night stay. How they could possibly imagine I would want to spend more money on travelling after the torment it had caused, astonished me.
I was then informed that, if I really sought reimbursement, I would have to take legal measures. As I live in Brazil, the time, trouble, and money I would spend to make my rights prevail are not worth the trouble it would cause me.
Therefore, I just want make other people aware of this situation, so they won’t fall for the same trap, and have to face all the inconveniences I had to.
Beware, everyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Fabio_H_S_Almeida
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had a great stay at Atlantis, beautiful place. My 10year old loved the rides and the preteen club, CRUSH. Staff very nice and helpful, however, because the towel huts don't open until 10, the staff developed a side business where guests would "hire" them to go out there early to hog beach lounges and set up camp. When I saw them with a cart full of towels and asked for a couple, they said those were reserved for some guests but ended up releasing two towels to me. Not being able to get beach towels before 10 was an inconvenience as we were on the beach at 8. DJs by both pools extremely loud, not relaxing at all. The setting, however, very beautiful and property well maintained. Food was good and fresh.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank LiciaFreeman
Reviewed April 1, 2013

When planning a family vacation to the Bahamas there is really only one place to stay and that is the Atlantis. We traveled with another family and booked the trip well in advance but for some inexplicable reason my family was in the West tower and our friends were in the East tower. We have young children that were looking forward to vacationing together and the kids were very disappointed. They also upgraded my friends for the inconvenience to a very large suite. (Advice to hotel- you cant upgrade one family but not the other when you make an error. It just made things worse).

After way too much arguing they somehow found a room on the same floor as my friends and said we could move the next day. Of course when the next day came they had no rooms on that floor but at least moved us to the same tower which helped. I dont need so much aggravation on vacation.

Everything is way overpriced and I mean everything. The only 'cheap' food alternatives are in the Marina but I am not sure that slices of pizza for $6.25 can be considered cheap. They charge $20 per day for WIFI and $15 per day for the gym. I am sure they would charge for air if they could.

If you want chairs by the pool you either need to claim your space by 630 am or bribe a pool attendant the day before to set you up. $20 (per day) should do the trick and there are no limits to the amount of chairs they will set you up for.

Lunches by the pool are also a nightmare with long lines, few places to sit and limited choices. Set aside at least 60 minutes for a 'fast food' lunch.

Dinner reservations are a must but they are just an approximation as to when you may be seated. Carmines is the worst culprit and will never seat you at the time you reserved.

On the plus side- the people that work in the hotel are all very nice and friendly. There is also something to do for kids of all ages and they can roam freely around the vast grounds.

Room Tip: The suites in Royal Towers are all roomy and can easily hold a family of 4. The East tower is closes...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank rick b
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Spring brake 2013: lobby beautiful, room average/uncomfortable mold odor:( At the royal towers, Aquarium excellent , rides not clean at all, mold on slides and borders of the pool, definitely dirty , unkept. Price per room is not true add 120 dollars more per night when you check out in taxes, gratuity and utility that hotel charges separately. In comparison with hotels same price in USA there is a HUGE difference in quality. We spent same money in Hawaii at Grand Wailea resort and the cleanliness the service, the rooms are excellent. Definitely not worth the money

• Stayed: March 2013
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!