“Nice tropical vacation...first time in the Bahamas.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Nice tropical vacation...first time in the Bahamas.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was a little worried after reading so many negative reviews but we had a great time over Winter Break this February. Our 4th floor corner suite in the West Tower was spectacular with an ocean view and three balconies--two large and one small. Our 16 year old slept on the sofabed in the living room and had his own bathroom, we had a king size bed in a separate bedroom with our own luxorious bathroom. We also loved the central location of the Royal Towers.

We enjoyed the beach, Aquaventure, the deep water dolphin swim, an off site snorkeling trip and shopping. We ate at Bimini Road on Wednesday night and finished up just as the parade was to begin around 8pm. Other places we ate included Virgils BBQ, Lagoon Bar & Grill, Waterfalls Cafe (?), The Point Restaurant and none of them were very good...they were adequate and average at best. Portion sizes were VERY big and the only really good meals were at the "fine dining" Bahamian Club and our room service breakfast. The drinks, however, were fantastic everywhere we went!

We didn't have any problems with service, cleanliness, etc., and we spent exactly what we expected to spend...it wasn't a budget vacation. I would recommend it to others considering a vacation in the Bahamas and we are all really glad we went.

Room Tip: 4th floor ocean view corner suite in the west tower was perfect!
1 Thank sandkmom1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,270)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband n I went there for our babymoon. The hotel, location was awesome. But the hotel was pretty busy. It felt like a bit of disney world to me . There's lot to do inside the resort. Bahamas is expensive , food and esp water inside the hotel. But was a fun n a memorable trip. Enjoyed interacting with the dolphins:)

• Stayed February 2013
Pequannock, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As we left New Jersey the snow was starting to fall at a good clip. We were all praying that our flight would get out. It did we were the last flight out of Newark before a major storm hit. In 3 hours we were landing in the beautiful sunshine and warmth. We had never been to the Atlantis before and I had read good and bad reports. I am always the optimist, need to see for myself. Upon arrival we were told to go to the Sun Lounge to check in. The local residents who worked at the resort were some of the friendliest people I have ever encountered. Bright smiles, big Hellos. At check in we were told we will be staying in the Imperial Lounge (section) in the Royal Towers. A woman took us up to our room and all I can say was "WOW". We had a fantastic view of the grounds and a balcony with table and chairs. My group was my daughter (30), my sister and her daughter (16). The sun was shinning and the pool was calling. For the next 4 days we did nothing but enjoy the surroundings and the sun, while our husbands were shoveling snow.
I would definately go back to the Atlantis. It really was everything I hoped it would be. I will say though the food at the high end restaurants were NYC priced but the meals were very good.
I am sorry for the people who write such bad reports about the city of Nassau and the cab rides. That is how it is in some of the islands, not everyone has the luxuries we have of living in the United States.
All I know is that when the next winter storm heads east I think I am heading back to the Atlantis. Actually my husband and I turn 60 next year and we are getting a big group together and plan to spend a long weekend there.

Room Tip: I would ask about the Imperial Lounge rooms. Our room was very clean and great view.
1 Thank JCoyne127
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had to attend a 3 day/4 night meeting at the Atlantis in mid-February. One member of my group booked through the meeting sponsor's travel agent but I decided to use the special sale rates advertised on The Atlantis website. Ultimately the prices were about the same ($352 vs $329 per night) and I received no better/no worse room than other attendees. However, all of us had the same additional charges which result in rooms actually costing just short of $500/night. To be fair these charges are in the fine print but!

I grant that the resort itself is very clean and well maintained and certainly costly to operate with the large aquariums and pools but for $500 a night I would expect some real luxury. The public areas were generally over the top but the rooms were just nice rooms. When you add in the costs of meals (invariably expensive), entertainmment, and additional activities it gets to be a very expensive vacation. And virtually everything at Atlantis is extra. Want a mini refrigerator in your room--$15/day; rollaway bed if your party is larger than 4--another $15/day.

And don't forget that once on Paradise Island you are somewhat trapped. Going into Nassau proper involves a tax ride ($10+ each way) or a water taxi ride ($6/person round trip) which involves about a half mile hike and when we were there was virtually impossible due to construction. A hike over the bridge is a strenuous but not impossible task.

Want wi-fi? It's a mere $20/day altough I was advised you could use free wi-fi in the lobby area and at the pools. Couldn't receive free wi-fi in the meeting rooms.

There are some great restaurants but as I said above, invariably expensive. Most of our meals were banquet style with the group and better than average. We sampled sushi and sake at the Nobu in the casino and have to say that it was very good. On the other hand the hamburgers at the Dive In in the pool area were very mediocre and grossly over-priced for the quality.

If you have kids and can afford it, The Atlantis can probably be a very vacation. The activities are all right there and there is little in Nassau tself that the kids would really care for.

Be forwarned. Throughout most of the Bahamas, an automatic 18% gratuity is added to virtually all meals and hotel rooms; even simple hamburgers or a beer. How much of this actually filters through to the employees I don't know but don't over tip.

To confirm a comment by reviewer Snooge42, the Bahamians are extremely friendly. This is true regardless of where you stay or what you are doing and is especially true in the Family Islands.

Room Tip: The reservation agent recommended a harbor view room over an ocean view but I think she was wrong. S...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Gary M
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I took advantage of a Delta Vacations Presidents Day weekend special and paid a little extra to stay at the Royal Towers. This was a good move, as it is as close to "centrally located" as it gets at a property as ginormous as Atlantis. As other reviewers reported, we were immediately offered an upgrade at check-in which put us on a higher floor with a beautiful view of the waterway between Atlantis and downtown Nassau. We did notice a very slight moldy smell when we first walked in, but this was not an issue at all during our stay. Otherwise the room was beautiful. However, the sliding door to our balcony didn't work, but because our stay was so short we didn't bother reporting it. We did have one MAJOR issue in our room: On the last night, our in-room safe would not work. Luckily, we discovered this around 6 pm. When we reported it in the lobby, we were relieved (though surprised) that the person we asked didn't seem surprised and knew immediately whom to call. Long story short: several people came and were unable to open the safe. Finally, an on-property locksmith was called and successfully opened the safe, which contained our passports which we needed to get on our flight the next morning. We were glad we reported the problem immediately. Because the locksmith was going to get off work at 8 pm, I shudder to think what could have happened, given the gauntlet of people we had to go through to get to the locksmith. Had this happened the next morning, we would have been screwed and missed our flight.

On a positive note, we successfully negotiated the potential exorbitant food charges many have reported. We took our own stash of nuts, chips, granola bars, etc., so the only charges we had on our bill at check-out were for our regular meals: 2 dinners at Mesa Grill to be exact. We did not eat lunch during our stay, but instead took the ferry into Nassau and ate at the breakfast buffet at the very cool old Colonial Hilton -- saved us a lot of money. Also, a BIG TIP on getting a Mesa Grill reservation: Call the Atlantis dining reservations 1-800 number, NOT the restaurant directly. We didn't know this and by the time we figured it out, it was too late -- so we got to Mesa Grill the minute it opened and ate at the bar. EXCELLENT FOOD -- WORTH IT!!

All in all, we had a great time. My hubby did encounter an extremely rude staff member at the water park, but everyone else was nice. Will go back for a longer trip next time.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

For a one-day business trip I got an eye and nose fill. First of all I must compliment the locals who are just the most friendly people you can imagine--and believably genuine. However the new airport experience wasn't pleasant as the immigration line was enormous and the "cab" ride to the hotel included what I call the "Cuba Equivalent" of vehicles that may or may not get you to the hotel. Choose something that looks at least new. Then you have to travel through downtown Nassau when there are the visitors from four huge cruise ships--another not fun experience. The facility is just beautiful but almost overwhelming. Visitors have to tromp through the smelly casino to get from place to place. A strange mix of high rollers and families with many children make this for an unusual experience. The breakfast croissants appeared to be left over from the previous day while my dinner in the Bahamian included a large slice of swordfish that didn't make it off the grill the first time. The ride back to the airport was just as unsettling.

Room Tip: Ask for higher up rooms to get a better view of the island. I got stuck facing the parking lot. Also...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Snooge42
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The hotel is amazing and the view was the killer. We were 2 family and had an inter-connecting room. It was perfect for us and also the view to the Pool and Ocean was great. We did bunch of activities, my wife enjoyed Snorkeling and swimming with the dolphins. We had picked up the full package which includes Breakfast and dinner. All though the food was boring after first day, it was very comfortable and in-expensive with the package. We stayed for 4 nights and had great time in and out. The casino was good enough for couple of nights.

Room Tip: Pick up ocean view from floor 10 and above.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 stars 2,284 reviews
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 stars 3,372 reviews
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!