“Awful, go elsewhere and save money!!!!”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The property grounds were amazing but that was about it. The customer service was horrendous. We first checked into our room to find the bathroom was never cleaned. There was small little hairs all over the bathroom sink and the garbage can was full of trash. When we called the front desk they simply asked if we wanted a new room but never apologized or even seemed like they cared. We then waited about 20 minutes to get into another room to find the sheet in the bed had a large tear. I again called the front desk to be told they would get a housekeeper to change our sheet for us which took another 20 minutes, again no apology or even pretending to care. We finally get out to the pool after all that fiasco to find out that the pools (all 11 of them) as well as the water slides closed at 5 pm. The closing of the pools and waterparks at 5 pm was never disclosed to us prior to us that evening. WE are on vacation there is no reason why in the carribean we cannot swim after 5 pm even if it is at our own risk. For the money you pay to stay at The Atlantis you should not only be able to do these things later in the day on your own but I even think they can afford to have lifeguards. Following day my daughter and I at 3:30 pm decide to go on the lazy river and grab some tubes from the side and were told to not grab tubes but that we have to wait for an empty tube to come by on the river because they are starting to clean up for the day. This is at 3:30 when there is still 1.5 hours before they close the rides and pools. Everything was ridiculous expensive and don't get me wrong I expected expensive but not like this place. $8 for a small bag of cheetos is a little crazy, $40 for wings as an appetizer is nonsense!!!!

Room Tip: we found out on our last day that the comfort inn is right beside the Atlantis and you can use the A...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank jctt
There are newer reviews for Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just got back this weekend after spending all last week at the Atlantis. Rooms were nice and clean - a bit dated, but nice. Friendly staff greeting you at the door and ready to answer questions. So many things - beaches, pools, rivers, slides and aquariums. Yes things are a bit expensive, but everything has to be shipped to the islands. Service everywhere was great!! This place is what you make of it. Before I left I read both positive and negative reviews. All I can truly say is the people who make the negatives, will probably rate anyplace negatively. I would lov to answer questions. I would love to go back and take my kids next time!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MTTraveling
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I travelled to Atlantis along with our 5 year old son the week of Feb 24-March 3rd, 2013. We stayed in the Royal Towers, East side, on the 9th floor (9-534). Our room faced the ocean and the bulk of the water park. A stunning view!
We arrived late on a Sunday evening. Check-in was quick. I asked for an upgrade but since we already paid for a water view there was no further upgrade.
On arrival to the room, it was nice and clean. A little worn out and tired looking, especially in the bathroom but was still nice and comfortable, and met all of our needs.
A cot was delivered to our room for our child within 10 minutes of arriving in the room. I noticed that there was an ironing board but no iron in the room so when the cot arrived, I asked for an iron which was delivered 5 minutes later. The next morning I tried using the iron and it was broken. I called housekeeping and it was exchanged within 10 minutes.

Atlantis is a paradise for kids. My son loved every minute of it from the Aquaventure pools, slides, rapid river, and kids water park, to the indoor arcades, ice cream parlour (Ben and Jerrys), and Animal Pals build a bear.
We were out in the water every day. The beach was not my favourite. The sand is so coarse, the drop off is very steep on entry, and the waves were really high. I am definitely spoiled by the lovely powdery sand and calm blue waters of Varadero! My only disappointment was getting injured in the Rapid River when the life guard told me to get off the inner tube to steer myself toward the Tower of Power (water slides). Well, I got off and was sucked into the rapids instead. I seriously scraped my knee, palm, and big toes requiring first aid. I also severely sprained and possibly broke a toe as well. The lifeguard chased me down the rapid to grab me. I am a strong swimmer but it was no contest. My advice is to NEVER get off the inner tube. That was a bad call on the life guards part but he did pull me out and take care of my cuts and scrapes afterwards. I dod not report the incident but I am still limping and nursing massive cuts 5 days later.

In terms of the food, it was mostly delicious. Yes, it is expensive but thanks to all these reviews we were prepared. The biggest waste of money is the breakfast buffet. We went to Marketplace. Over $100 for the 3 of us for breakfast to eat two omelettes, some bacon, fruit, and juice. Really not worth it since we are not huge eaters. Instead we went to Starbucks in the Marina and had muffins or Banana bread.
Shark Bites was by far the best place for outdoor lunch. My husband loved the conch plate and I had the flat iron steak sandwich twice. When we had poor weather over the last weekend we ate at Mosaic at the Cove for lunch buffet and it was AMAZING. We wished we had found it sooner.
Bimini Road was just okay. My husband liked his fish dinner.
We ate twice at Nobu. By far the best!! Lobster tails were delicious.
I did not have a great experience at the Bahamian Club restaurant. The service was poor and my steak was well done instead of medium. Nobody came to ask about our food and the table was cleared without a mention of why my steak was still sitting there basically uneaten. I left hungry! And that bill was over $200.
We also ate at Virgils BBQ. That place is a heart attack waiting to happen! LOL. The food is yummy but the portions are ridiculously huge. It is family style but for a family of 8..really. The 3 of us could not even half finish anything. The ribs were good. The pulled pork nachos...need I say more?
Best drink is the Mudslide at Shark Bites!

Regarding customer service, we received two calls during our stay asking if we were having a nice stay. I thought that was a nice touch. I mentioned the poor service at the Bahamian Club and the cost of my steak dinner was refunded. We were also granted late checkout to 3pm at no extra charge which was helpful since our transfer to the airport was not until 7pm.

All in all a great trip. Our son cried the last day because he did not want to leave. We will definitely return to Atlantis with our son. It was a wonderful family getaway and I would recommend it to my friends with kids. For older adults or those without kids, stay at the Cove Atlantis!!

4  Thank Phillicl
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We (husband, 7yo and 16 month old) just returned from a 5 night stay in the Atlantis Royal Tower. I was very skeptical of going, as we usually hate big resorts, but due to promotions at Atlantis and short (and cheap) flight from BWI we decided to give Atlantis a try. I was pleasantly surprised with how our vacation turned out.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon. We cleared customs and immigration in record time and took a taxi to Atlantis. Check in went smoothly and we went to our room. At check in we were told that the resort was completely full. Our room was in the West tower on the 17th floor with a view of the water park and beach. The rooms are pretty basic; ours had 2 queen beds and a crib (not a pack & play) for the baby. The rooms are a bit damp, but you should expect that in the islands. Overall the room was clean and comfortable and we felt that being in the West tower made for easy access to the waterpark.

We walked quite a bit on our vacation; there are shuttles to different areas but we never used them. If you are traveling with a stroller or a wheelchair be advised that it can be difficult to get around. After a few days we discovered alternatives to going up and down steps but it is not always easy. This is an area that the resort should consider in future renovations. During our time walking around I was pretty amazed that it never actually felt crowded. Also, we never had trouble getting beach or pool chairs and the wait times for water slides was pretty minimal (if at all). This was impressive and surprising considering the size of the resort and the number of cruise ships in port each day. My 7 year old spend most of her time riding the waterslides and the rapid river ride with her dad while the baby and I hung out at the Splashers pool. The pool was closed on several occasions due to “accidents”. I did not notice any signage regarding swim diapers but this may be another area for the management to consider. The wait staff at the pool was great. They were constantly coming through to take orders and were fast with turn around time.

My daughter and I did the sea lion interaction. This was a great experience for both of us. Due to the small group size (7 people total) we got to have a lot of interaction with the sea lion and we were even taken behind the scenes to see the new dolphin born at Dolphin Cay. The groups for the dolphin experience looked to be about 20 people and from what I heard was not as interactive as what we had. My husband played golf one day; he had an enjoyable time and said that the course was in good shape. For the price however he said there are much better courses in the Caribbean.

With regards to food, I was well aware of the 15% service charge on everything. We ate dinner at Carmine’s, Mosaic, Virgil’s and Mesa Grill. We did not feel that the prices were too far out of line, especially considering the portion sizes. We had our breakfasts at Starbucks (one day we walked to DD) and lunches around the pool. The lunches around the pool were definitely our worst meals mostly due to the seagulls. The seagulls are the worst thing about Atlantis. If idiot patrons would stop feeding the seagulls and pigeons they would be less of a nuisance. Consider other people before you feed the birds. Since there is a 15% service charge on all food and beverages throughout the resort, do not hesitate to use the mini bar. The bottled water in your minibar is the same price as the sundry store.

The staff at Atlantis was great. Everyone was friendly and did their best to help out. The staff seemed genuinely happy to work there, answer questions and provide other details about the resort. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: West Tower has better access to Aquaventure and Dolphin Cay. Also it is the quieter side of the res...
4  Thank MelDC
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great hotel, got there using Cheryls taxi service, they are great and the best and most honest in Bahamas cherylfoxferguson@live.com, Tel - 1 (242) 423 4982.

The hotel is very nice, the only fault the pools close at 5pm.

The dolphin and Seal centers are very great and they love work.

Our room was really nice, take mosi sprays.

Great Bell service, make sure your room is not above the outside bar, we were kept awake on the 10th floor until 3am.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hugo h
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at Atlantis Royal Towers for 3 nights before our 1 week stay at a private villa on Nassau. 6 adults & 2 children, ages 7-41.

The property is huge & absolutely beautiful. The water park was a hit with the entire group. We especially enjoyed the tube rides. We recommend the 'Snorkel the Ruins' tour. It is a bit expensive but it was worth it to swim with Athena (10ft manta ray).

We also rented a cabana one day at the Baths Colonnade Pool. It was $200, was equipped with 2 loungers, chair, loveseat, bar table & chairs, safe, change area and offered food & beverage service. It was the perfect base for the day for our group, with everyone coming and going & nobody carrying cell phones.

The food was expensive and not really geared toward our style of vacationing for this trip. We like to eat when the mood strikes at wherever piques our interest. Unfortunately this means long wait times at peak hours. We ate dinner at Bimini Road & Johnny Rockets. The food was good but overpriced for what you are getting. During the day was no problem as the pools all have snack bars but they all close down by 5pm (at least the ones we went to) I would definitely plan ahead and book reservations at the nicer restaurants to avoid the waiting.

We were happy we had the 'Atlantis Experience' but definitely enjoyed the week at our private oceanfront villa with no crowds, much more.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 10th floor and it had a fantastic view.
2  Thank WanderLori
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Nice water park, nice suites with great views but that's it. Tremendously over priced. Not good food. Food is horribly over priced. Service is very spotty at best. Staff not very attentive. Never saw anyone from management. Smelled cigerette smoke in almost every area of the hotel. Not very clean either. I saw a pretzel crumb on the sofa my first day and it was still there when we checked out. Lack of management was very obvious throughout the resort.

They have more ways to take your money than any hotel I have ever seen. Very poor overall value. We don't mind spending money for a great experience. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed in every area. Save your money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!