“In Dire need of a renovation”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

To be fair, I am a bit spoiled in that I get to stay at many nice hotels. This one did not fit the bill.

I went with my wife and another couple. My room was terrible. It smelled so musty that my wife asked to switch rooms, which she never does. The smell was so bad that it stuck to clothes I never removed from my bag. Room was outdated with old carpet, old sheets, stains on chairs. Not comfortable.

The staff was generally not that friendly either. Especially not at the hotels restaurants

The cafe Martinique restaurant was nice and had the best service. However a friend got very sick from eating at the seafire grill steakhouse

The beach and pool was pretty nice. My recommendation is that if you really want to go down there to enjoy the weather and beach - stay in Cove or Reef which were newer nicer and infinitely cleaner. They are so nice that you are not allowed at the Cove pool if you are staying at the other towers.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank AHSteinberg
Write a ReviewReviews (6,413)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just returned from our trip to Nassau and a stay at Atlantis in the Royal Tower. My family and I were nothing short of impressed and amazed and left with such good memories. If you are looking at giving your children the 'wow' factor, this is the place to take them. The stingray waters, waterpark and view from our hotel room overlooking dolphins diving, were spectacular! The customer service here with unlimited beach towels, seamless check-in and accomodating attitudes is a good reinforcement that the hotel is of top quality in management. I would agree, there are a few nicks in the walls which are an indicator that it may be in need of minor updates, but the overall grounds are immaculate and the architechture is beautiful.

I did find that this hotel is very expensive and there is a mandatory 15% tip applied to all services (and yet they still seek an added tip on top of this...even for self serve food purchases). For a few bagels, yogurt, tea and fruit bowls, we paid $50. Although expensive it was all still worth it. My one complaint would be that the male staff in the waterpark (and there are many of them) were quite pervy with my 16 year old daughter, looking her up and down and calling her 'baby doll'. Recommendation: bring a pack of water for your hotel room as in some shops, it apparently costs $8 for a large bottle.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jennyjenjenjen
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to Atlantis a couple of years ago with my daughter & ex wife(I know it's weird) and we had the absolutely best time ever. Atlantis is unbelievable, when you arrive the entrance is fantastic and it looks as though you are entering a massive rock cave surrounded by water. We checked in and my ex hadn't booked because it was a last minute decision to come. The receptionist was great she allowed her to stay in our room for free and where we had booked a meal deal for our stay she gave Debbie that free too. The hotel is obviously designed around the lost city of Atlantis and is fabulous. The main attraction for me was the outside pools and water parks. There were pools to swim in, to lounge in, paddle etc. All sorts of water slides and rapid rivers etc. Lagoons to look at sharks, sting rays and loads of other fish etc. Fantastic beaches all around. Over 12-15 restaurants to choose from to eat. We changed our room 3 times until we found the best room for us with a balcony overlooking the entire water park and sea. We all had an incredible time and loved Atlantis. If I could make any slight moan it was a little lacking in things to do at nightime after dinner but that's all folks

Room Tip: Try and get one overlooking the sea
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mcfcfanBournemouth
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We recently returned because of a work conference.This is our 6th trip to the Bahamas,our second stay at The Royal Towers.
Very large lots of walking 5* everything 5* prices.

Room overlooked the harbour almost the exact same view as when we stayed 8 years ago.Very clean standard room comfortable bedding.Sliding glass door and voila you have a balcony almost..I took the 2 room chairs and positioned them to face out. All basic amenities provided .

Weather - can't control that but of 7 days 5 were beautiful 1 overcast, 1 overcast cool and rain.The rest gorgeous.

Bar & Food Service- No complaints other than dinner will cost you 200.00 per night 1 bottle of wine in that price.Unless of course you eat pizza ,or Starbucks.

Breakfast in The Royal Tower( Market Place) ok...pricey not good value I thought it had gone down( food quality) since our last visit.

Lunch-most days grabbed a quick bite around the pool...remembered the Conch salad from last visit very good ! ALERT - DO NOT EAT AROUND THE ROYAL TOWER POOL !!! I was attacked by seagull
s like something out of THE BIRDS !! My hubby was in meetings so I just grabbed a tossed salad which looked great and a bag of Lays (needed some salt)...out of the corner of my eye I see wings coming at me ..salad goes flying I take cover and when I return for the all safe ...they took my LAYS !!!sooo no lunch for me...we also ate at Murrays Deli very good corned beef not like NYC but still good,The Lagoon Bar & Grill again with the seagulls kinda turned me off as they were all around the food stations.We really enjoyed Virgils in The Coral Tower pulled pork nachos very yummy!dinner at Casa de Angelo was good, and The Bahamian Club even better very attentive waiter enjoyed that night.
Pools- we preferred the BLU pool at the Coral tower (No Gulls that bothered us)and quieter.
I tried the lazy river at The Coral...typical lazy river ...I also tried the other river ride and that was fun but please be careful 2 of the ladies were injured on this one banged up knees and one broken arm !!!Did not try the slides this time because I am 8 years older and did not enjoy it the first time...but lots for the kids to do !!!There were many families there ...and some we met had been several times.They must have deals in the USA because I can't imagine what it would cost a family of five.
Internet was located at The Coral tower so a bit of a jaunt from the Royal.
Staff amazing only saw one not smiling.
Casino -made our donation ...have to try the SLOTS and hubby likes the tables.
So to summarize ..We enjoyed our time , will we return probably not, but if you have never been here you have to experience it at least once...we just found it costly ,we are not frugal people travel extensively ..just not value for money spent.

Room Tip: Coral Towers are older but have balconies think I would have liked to try it this time.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2013

A very nice resort, lots to see and do. So many pools you'll wonder exactly how many there are! Be prepared to do lots of walking as it is a very big place. The room in the west Royal Tower was nice, if it did show its age a bit. The restaurants we tried were nice, good food and great service, if just a bit pricey. Kids have more than enough activities with all of the water slides, pools and lazy rivers. The casino is big, lots of tables and slots. The aquariums and all of the sealife is amazing, don't miss it! And one final thing...the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in!

Room Tip: If you can get a room in the Royal Towers East you will save yourself alot of walking.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been to the Atlantis approx. 8 times. It has always been a pleasure until this trip. Complaint #1. We went for a couples massage and it felt like the two people that gave the massages were not even certified.We spoke to the management just so they were aware and they gave us an 11.00 credit which was the difference of a deep tissue massage and a sweedish massage (funny hah). We weren't even looking for a credit. The last time we went we had massages two days in a row because it felt like a massage. We were looking to rest not get aggravated. We get them all of the time. Complaint #2. While gambling, which is the main reason I like to go to the Bahamas, I left my card on the table and my husband motioned to the pit boss to take the card because no one was picking it up. We didn't think it was a big deal. Well what a attitude we got from them. As if that was the worse thing we could have done. We told them how to do their job. Wow. Last complaint. The 15% tips are always included but we always give the additional 5 or so to everyone. That was a problem this time because it seems that the 15% is enough for 40% of the staff because the staff has such attitudes specifically the little cafe next to the market where your would have your breakfast in the morning. They don't even look you in the eye if you ask a question. Seems like you should be able to tip people yourselves. This was you get the correct service. But still 60% of the staff were still great. With competition coming in to the Bahamas this is not the time for the reputation of the Atlantis to be heading downwards.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank maha n
Reviewed February 12, 2013

After many years of hearing friends and family say how amazing Atlantis Resort was, we finally booked our 6-night/7-day trip (it wasn't long enough!). Even with all the hype, the resort was everything we expected and more! Staying in the Royal Towers was the prime location...it's central to everything...the restaurants (Nobu, Cafe @ The Great Hall of Waters), casino, the Marina, aquariums, Water Park & Kids Water area. Our stay happened to be in early December; when there weren't too many people which worked out nicely as far as the Water Park went. The longest we had to wait in any water slide line was about 5 minutes. Apparently, if you stay during peak times (summer), the lines can be unbearably long...no thanks. My 9-year old son couldn't get enough of the slides, especially the Leap of Faith and The Abyss. There are two main towers with 4-5 slides on each. There's a good mix of regular slides and ones that use inner tubes. On the Mayan Temple, the Serpent Slide (inner tube) has you end up in a tunnel in the Shark-filled lagoon. In the Power Tower, the Abyss has you end up in this underground grotto/aquarium...super cool. I will never again be able to ride a normal lazy river after riding the one in Atlantis. It's a lazy river cranked up to a hundred...miles of roaring rapids that my 5-year old son couldn't get enough of. Since he was 1-inch too short for any of the main slides, the lazy river was his main source of water fun, but he didn't mind...it was that fun! Also a cool feature is during the course of the river, you have the option to direct your inner tube to go up the Power Tower to experience the Drop or the Surge slides. We had so much fun seeking out all the various aquariums in the resort. There's the main one located in the Royal Towers, called The Dig. And there are a about 10 others sprinkled throughout the resort. We were still finding new ones even at the end of our stay. We ate at most of the restaurants...Nobu, Mesa Grill, the Cafe, Murray's Deli, Lagoon Bar & Grill, Virgil's BBQ, Quizno's and Ben & Jerry's, plus the pool eateries. The food is good, but be prepared to spend most of your money on food. There's a cart located just past the bridge near the beach that serves fish & chips and ginormous soft pretzels. SO GOOD!!! My mouth is watering just writing about them. I want to go back to Atlantis just for these two items. One complaint about the food is that there aren't enough affordable breakfast places to quickly grab something (Starbucks was the only option, besides a place in the lobby but was pricey...$10 for a breakfast sandwich). Another complaint...not many dessert places. We ended going to Ben & Jerry's almost every night because besides eating dessert at the one of the sit-down restaurants, there wasn't another place to quickly grab dessert. One of those serve-yourself yogurt places would be nice or a shave ice cart? We did grab dessert one night from Starbucks...yummy key lime tart! One place that we discovered during out trip was called Crush. It's a teen club located in the Coral Towers, but during the hours of 4-8 pm, they open it up for families. My boys loved the floor-to-ceiling video games w/ gaming chairs, private video game rooms, state of the art computers for internet access, touch screen games (chess, checkers), dance floor and cafe. I wish I had a place to come like this as a teen. We took part in the Dolphin Interaction at Dolphin Cay. It was a good experience getting to touch, hug & kiss the dolphins, but now that I've done it once, I'll probably never do it again. The price isn't cheap and on top of that, they get you by not letting you take your own pictures & making you buy theirs...which also is not cheap. As far as the room went, they are a nice, comfortable size. We were able to get adjoining rooms with my in-laws so having that door open between us probably made it seem bigger too. We had a great view of the Water Park area and the lagoons with the sting rays. The only down side to our room is that we found a couple of small cockroaches, but nothing we couldn't handle. if you're thinking of venturing outside the resort...don't. My brother warned me not to go into downtown Bahamas; that everything we needed was within the resort. We didn't listen because my boys wanted to see go shopping and get some souvenirs at the many flea markets. It's basically a tourist trap of little knick knacks and stuff probably made in China. Next time, we'll probably only venture out to eat since we heard of a couple good seafood restaurants that we didn't get a chance to visit. I got a chance to visit the other Towers...Beach & Coral. I didn't get to see the rooms, but as far as the lobby of these Towers went, they were a lot busier and not as luxurious. We'd consider staying in these other towers next time but get two adjoining rooms for our family for the price of one room in the Royal. Otherwise, we'd probably stick to the Royal...much nicer and again, centrally-located :-)
If you're thinking of booking a trip to Atlantis Resort...DO IT! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with family and you each have your own room, consider getting adjoining rooms t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
1 mi away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!