“Great but would do it differently next time (to make it cheaper)”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed April 6, 2012

First of all, the resort in general was gorgeous! The rooms and grounds were nicely kept, the staff was very helpful and personable. There were several different types of pools and the beach so you could pick a different one each day. There is a walking path that goes in front of the resort so you can get in a daily walk/run. Never had bad service at any of the restaurants or bars. There was entertainment nightly in the little lobby area (bar). They also changed all the beverages out in the mini bar to what we drank upon request, which was nice because the alcohol from the mini bar was cheaper than at the bars and restaurants downstairs. The only bad thing I really would say about the place is that they do charge you extra for every little thing and they add gratuity to every charge for drinks or food, even if there was no one serving you (like at the buffet).

Now as for what I would do differently, first, if you are trying to do this trip a little cheaper, I would not buy the meal plans. The meals can be done cheaper a lot of the times by just going to the places, unless you want an appetizer, meal and dessert per person at every meal. There were several times when we just wanted something small so we'd just go downstairs to the bar area and they were serving sandwiches, breakfast, yogurt, etc (ie, in the mornings). Second, I wouldn't necessarily stay in the royal tower but one of the cheaper ones. Granted we had a great view. I walked through the cheaper towers on my daily walks and the lobbies were just as nice and everything was connected. The resort isn't as spread out as it looks.

In all honesty, I think the resort was great, but as I dont' have kids and I'm not a big water park person, I'd probably stay somewhere else on Paradise Island next time and do a day pass to Atlantis.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Amberh1982

Reviewed April 6, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Atlantis (Nassau) for spring break and while the rides are great, and the RT was a fine hotel, the place was way overcrowded. They have decided to let in cruise ships everyday (they didn't before---but bad economy, and over-extended on bldg. Dubai) and it's ridiculous!! People are hoarding rafts and you cannot find them for rides. Plus, the staff can't keep up with the messiness, and that's awful. Used to be they grounds were spotless (like WDW!), but now there's trash all over and it's gross. Who wants to pay a premium rate to stay on-site for such long lines, expensive food/drinks, trashy grounds, etc? We complained at check-out and got a credit of $100/day (very nice), but they didn't even blink when we told them about how the place has gotten much worse. Too $$$ for these hassles. We'd recommend going only at off-peak times.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank travelfamily2572
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I think I have mixed feelings about the Bahamas but the Atlantis makes it worthwhile. Its a fabulous hotel experience that you really need in the Bahamas where after beach time there really isn't much else to do. What better occasion to really take advantage of a hotel that has a lot to offer. This place also attracts a lot of celebrities including Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky! If thats an incentive ;) The pools are awesome and there are many options.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kundara
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Here's the bottom line--if you read these reviews and don't understand going in that Atlantis is extremely expensive, then it's your own fault. You are going to pay a lot for everthing and, put bluntly, they don't need your business. That being said, the views, the service, the amount of things to do, frankly, everything, was just incredible. It is one of the few destinations that is truly awesome for all age ranges. We were there for 6 days and were finding new things on the last day. We can't get back there fast enough. Atlantis isn't for everyone though; if you are trying to do a vacation on a budget, go somewhere else, otherwise you will have a miserable time.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the middle of the action, book Royal Towers. If you want peace and quiet, book...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank eat2much83
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Every time I turned around there was some form of additional charge. A 15% gratuity was added to each meal, including the take out subs I got from Quizno's at the Marina.

The facilities are nice, I had a good time but I left with the feeling of having been abused. I was a captive audience at this hotel and the management took advantage of this fact.

I will not be returning to the Bahamas, it left that bad of a taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: Go to another Island where you will not be abused.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mbrody442
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Granted it is spring break and it is crowded, but I am unable to find even one chair at the pool nor anyone to assist. The water park is open to other than hotel guests and they take up all the space. The air conditioning in the rooms is very loud and the rooms in the coral towers are run down. You wait for everything. It took 30 minutes to check in and we were second in line! The food is also unimpressive for the price.

• Stayed: April 2012
8  Thank Vacationcritical
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Atlantis is an amazing property! The buildings are large and the art that has been created to greet visitors and top buildings is often nautical in theme and always beautiful. Our room in the Royal Towers was nice, not awesome but very good and the view was cool from the 8th floor, I know the higher you go the better the view of the pool areas, fish aquariums, and beach. The casino is really nice, it's a good addition to the resort. In the casino area are a couple bars and a club. You get comped drinks in the casino but not at the video poker in the bar. Food and drink at Atlantis are pretty expensive no matter what you get but I have to say the food is good for the most part so that is good. There are various levels of price for restaurants but none are really inexpensive - maybe Quiznos in the marina area. If you have money to spend there are lots of high end clothing and jewelry stores and some local crafts and Bahamas related gifts. My husband and I decided to splurge on the restaurant Seafire for dinner, I was not overly impressed. I would call it good but not excellent, I wanted excellent for 2 people for dinner at $200 total. I hate to say it since you can get it in the US but Carmine's Italian restaurant was very good. The breakfast sandwiches at Platos are good, egg, cheese, ham on a croissant. Basically all the fruity and frozen drinks are yummy. The water slides, pools, rivers are awesome. We spent some time in the rapids river, which was just fast enough and fun. In March it is about low to mid 80s so you are not sweating which is good but you are not hot which would make you want to be the water more. The beach is nice and there is a little inlet area that is good for families. There are tons of kids but some pools shave less kids than others. Some pools have dj's which are entertaining. There are servers for the pool which rocks since who doesn't want a frozen drinks delivered to their beach chair?! Service is very good at Atlantis everyone I came in contact with was professional, pleasant, friendly, and prompt which is great since sometimes the Caribbean gets a bad rap for slower customer
service. Note that servers get 15% gratuity automatically so tip more if you want but just a heads up. The aquariums are so incredible, if you like fish and wildlife you will love this. The aquariums are floor to ceiling with manta rays, all types of fish, eels, jelly fish, sharks, etc. It is awe inspiring. If you what you can have encounters with dolphins, sea lions, sharks, or rays. It also is great that Atlantis/Bahamas is a short flight from the East Coast, gotta love that. There is golf too for people who like to golf. I definitely recommend Atlantis! Lastly we did go to the fish fry in town, we went with a group around the dinner hour, we didn't eat since we ate earlier but everyone I talked to liked their food. It is a strip of local restaurant/bars. I am not sure if I'd spend the night out here but good for dinner in my opinion. Last thing I hear if you have the money stay at the Cove and that the Reef is good for families because they have a kitchen.

Room Tip: Definitely get beach front room and get one on a higher floor so you can see the vast property. I h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!