“Love the Atlantis”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed October 8, 2007

This was my third trip to the Atlantis , this first time was in the Coral Towers the second was in the Beach Tower.
We booked the coral tower but when we got there the Coral Tower was over booked and they wanted to move us to the Beach Tower for the night, which i thought was not right since we paid for the Coral Tower being moved to the Beach tower (even for only one night) was a downgrade , so i asked to be mover to the Royal Towers and we were.
Once we were in our room and we got our luggage we really didn't want to have to move again so we called the front desk and we were able to stay in the royal tower for out whole trip.
which was GREAT since pretty much anything that you will want to do or see is closer to the Royal Tower.
Our room was very nice and the staff in the Royal Tower was very friendly.
I went with 2 girlfriends and we had a great time, you do not need to have children with you to have fun.
When i go back i will definitley stay in the Royal Tower

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Bella3034

Reviewed October 6, 2007

Do not go to Atlantis Paradise Island expecting the level of service you would get at other hotels of similar price.

Our family went in August and could not believe the service. When we arrived at the Beach, we upgraded to the Royal Tower and the lobby staff took our luggage (and $20US tip) and indicated they would ship our luggage to the Royal Tower.

* The luggage took over 2 hours to get to our room. The Royal Tower staff indicated that the bus that takes luggage was broke and that the Beach tower staff was waiting for permission to pay a private taxi to take our luggage to the Royal towers. I am not joking, Hard to believe, but true.

* This was the start of 4 days of similar unbelievable explanations for bad service....
* no towels at the pool (but you can walk 1/2 mile to the Cove to get some)....
* you are to small ride the water slide ( but if I took the time to measure you I would see you are OK to ride).....
* I will get you hot coffee (here is a new carafe but the coffee is also not hot)...
* Access your Atlantis Photos taken by our photographers (but we cannot find your photo because your id looks like it includes all the pictures taken by photographer of everyone in the pool that day).

In the end, we loved the water park!! Do not got to Atlantis if you have no kids!!

We had a great time at Atlantis because of the weather and pool and because we ignored the bad service and enjoyed our own company.

If you are looking for a premium or special experience for your premium dollar, do not go to Atlantis. Expect bad service. I would recommend Paris (which would be cheaper or Nevis for sun and fun!)

If you travel a lot, domestically and internationally to nice resorts, you will be amazed at the bad service!

Do not blame the staff, obviously they are not expected to provide service so they are meeting the requriments of management.

I have told everyone I work with (in NY Wall Street) not to go to Atlantis unless they have kids who love water parks, and expect the unexpected when you get there!

Thanks to all tripadvisors who prepared me for the bad service, we got what we expected based on your reviews.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank cloneen07
Reviewed October 6, 2007

By far and away one of the best hotels we have stayd at. we are both young, early 20's, and had a real gud time. did all watersports, chilld out on the beach, sipped jd and coke!! trust me, go there with open mind and wallet and you will have a blast. its is expensive, bt u pay for quality, ppl who gave this a poor rating, i think they thought it wud be cheaper, it aint, bt we think it was worth every penny. some ppl want 5star hotel bt b&b prices, it jst dont happen!! enjoy!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ydnasun
Reviewed September 27, 2007

I travelled to Atlantis the first week of August 07. It was definately one of the nicest places I've ever visited. I travelled with my parents and my 17 year old brother; I'm 18. We stayed in the Royal Towers, East Wing - room 7544.

After reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a bit worried about all the complaints towards the employees and service in the hotel. However, as soon as we arrived we realized the reviews were wrong. We originally booked a terrace view room, but when we got to check in, we were automatically upgraded to a harbor view room. We then asked about a possible upgrade to an ocean view room, and the front desk attendant gave us a new room overlooking the ocean. The room was ready right away, even though it was at least two hours before check in. He accidentally told us we were in the West Tower, so we were confused when we could not find our room in that tower. A member of the housekeeping staff noticed we looked confused, so she volunteered to call the front desk for us, and made sure the room number was correct and that we were actually in the East Tower. Throughout the entire trip, every staff member we encountered could not have been more friendly.

The Atlantis grounds are absolutely gorgeous!! There are gardens everywhere on the property, and everything is well-kept. There are pools and lagoons with fish all around the resort. Even just looking out from the balcony, all you can see is palm trees and water. The amount of marine life at the resort is amazing. I saw so many different creatures and types of fish during my week at the hotel. Definitely walk through the Dig, which is a collection of aquariums and lagoons with all kinds of fish. Its something to do when you want to escape the heat/sun because it is mostly indoors. You will never be bored here, there is always something to do at Atlantis. For example, one night my brother and I were walking around when we saw some kind of movie set. Turns out, they were filming a Spongebob movie. We hung around and watched for a bit, and we eventually got to meet the star of Ned's Declassified on Nickelodeon and the guy who does Spongebob's voice. It was pretty sweet.

The new waterpark, Aquaventure is amazing! I made sure to do all the water rides at the resort before I left. The Current (lazy river) was much more fun compared to other lazy river rides. Be prepared though, this is because there are several sections with rapids, a wave generator, and a conveyor up to the Power Tower. We went around the Current several times during our stay. The Power Tower was lots of fun! Even though its definately slower that walking up the steps, take the conveyor to the Drop or the Falls. It provides a great view of the resort! The Abyss, the body slide in the Power Tower, was also lots of fun. It is very similiar to the Leap of Faith in the Mayan Temple except its in complete darkness. You have to try the Leap of Faith. I did it a few times; it was scary each time, but I loved it. Even though it goes through the shark tank like the Serpent Slide, you have no idea because you're going so fast. The Serpent Slide is cool because you go through the shark tank, slowly so you can actually see the fish and sharks. Aquaventure is amazing and I definately recommend spending at least one day by the pools and on the water slides.

There are two main beaches at Atlantis: Atlantis Beach and the Cove Beach. The Cove beach is much more quiet and relaxing. It is a great place to watch the sunset. Atlantis beach is the main beach where all the families go during the day. There are many local vendors wandering the beach, trying to sell jewelry, drinks, hair braiding, etc. It may be annoying, but just say no thanks, and they will walk away. There are also vendors selling jetski rentals and parasailing. My family did a banana boat ride one day, and it was so much fun! It provides a beautiful view of the beach. The sand is white and the water is crystal blue. Its gorgeous!

Dining at Atlantis is extremely expensive so be prepared to spend a large amount of money on food per day. We decided not to buy a meal plan because we are all rather light eaters, and didn't want to feel obligated to each so much every day. Each morning we got coffee and muffins from the coffee bar in the Royal Towers lobby. A light breakfast for four would run about $30 each morning. If you're by the pools at lunchtime, the pool cafes offer four burgers, four sodas, and two fries, all for less than $25, which is probably the best food deal at the resort. When we were in Nassau one afternoon, we had lunch at Senor Frogs, on the water by the Straw Market. The food was wonderful and we had a nice table overlooking the harbor and the cruise ships. For dinner, we ate at Johnny Rockets twice, Murrays Deli, Bimini Road, and Marina Pizzeria. The food everywhere was great. The service was a bit slow at a few restaurants, but no big deal. We enjoyed every meal. Bimini Road was our most expensive meal at $160, for four entrees, two appetizers, and sodas.

My family booked a day trip through Powerboat Adventures, where we took a speedboat to the Exumas and spent the day on a private island. There was great food, snorkelling, swimming with sharks and sting rays, etc. Expensive at almost $200 a person, but definately worth it. It was a wonderful experience and one of the best days of the trip.

The only negative we encountered during our stay in the Bahamas was with the bath towels. Even though we were four people, we often got only two sets of bath towels. We would repeatedly call housekeeping for more, but they rarely were brought to our room. One night we called around 7:00 for more towels, but they didn't arrived until later that night when we were all in bed. This got very frustrating very quickly, especially compared to how they just hand out several towels per person downstairs at the pools.

There is so much more I haven't even covered, but I could probably go on about Atlantis forever. It was such an amazing vacation. The islands of the Bahamas are so beautiful. It was one of the best weeks of my life. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
17  Thank tkf24
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I know you are curious to see what all the hype is about at Atlantis, but my advice is to go somewhere else!

It reminded me of staying at Disney. It would have been better if we had kids, but not for couples.

My boyfriend and I were looking for an exciting vacation, and decided to check out the Atlantis for ourselves. Stayed at Royal Towers, but he room smelled so bad, like mildew, and was just like any other hotel room, nothing special about it. One of the worst smelling rooms I've ever stayed at. We took a look at the other towers' rooms and they looked better.

The tower was always crowded, but outside was even worse. It took us so long just to go to the beach, it was crazy! First you have to go through the crowd and walk in a maze to get towels at the towel hut, then you have to find your way to the wristband hut, then to the lockers, then to the beach. Fun the first day, annoying after that. Hardly a relaxing vacation when we wanted it to be. The day we decided to go on the water slides, we did the whole routine of getting wristbands, tubes, locker etc, then found our way through the crowd to the slide..and they were all temporarily closed! They opened back up after an hour, but was again annoying!

The worst part about this hotel is the RUDE staff. People were not happy here, every other Island resort I have visited had the nicest staff, but not here. My boyfriend had asked the hostess at a restaurant a question, she looked at him, and just turned here head. This was just 1 of many similar experiences.

You pay for everything once you arrive. I dont mind spending money when it comes to vacations, but this was the first place that really got to me. We had to pay $15 each everyday to use the gym. Breakfast is $25 per person plus tip. They do not make you feel welcome here at all...

We went to The Cove for a day and lounged at the Cain pool. That was fun for about 5 mins. It's like a Miami beach club outside, very nice looking, but a bit cheesy.

So my advice, save your money, go to a beautiful resort in Mexico where you will get so much more of an experience for your efforts. You take time off work, plan a trip, and spend a good amount of money. So, go somewhere better than here!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sweetheart81
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We visited the Atlantis in September, after Labor Day. We couldn't have picked a better time to go. The weather was nice, not too hot, and those normal afternoon summer showers cooled things down and only lasted about 15 minutes. We were told that there were very few people there this time of year and the staff agreed with us that it was definetly the best time to visit.
We stayed in the Royal Towers. If you visit the Atlantis, you must stay here. Otherwise, you will be disappionted in your accomodations. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we were automatically upgraded to a suite. We had a large bedroom, large walk-in closet and balcony. Our room was wonderful and everything was updated. I do not belive this is the case in the other towers. The rotunda (lobby) was phenominal with paintings, massive windows and views of the fish tanks.
The resort itself has so much to do. Many water slides for kids and adults, several pools and our favorite was the lazy river rapids. The beaches were nice, too, but we spent most of our time on the lazy river and at the adult pool. There are many aquariums to see all kinds of sea creatures. They also had free movies at night for adults and during the day for kids. You will not get bored or run out of things to do at this resort! It is so nice to be within walking distance to everything and being able to return to your room at any time without having to get a taxi.
Now, here's the down side. It is really expensive! The hotel rate does not seem too bad, but you have to add on 12% hotel tax, around 11.50 per day per person for resort fee and another $5 for a bellman fee. This was my least favorite part, I hate feeling like I'm being picked apart for more money. The food was also very expensive. The least expensive meal, even a hamburger will cost around $20.00 because they add 15% gratutity to everything, even an icecream cone. The buffet one night was about $50 per person. You can get cheaper food if you leave the hotel but we had a group of 8 and it cost us $5 each to get to town and the same going back. But, it was nice to eat some 'native' food and get a real feel for the Bahamas.
Yes, it was expensive, but it was FUN. We were there on business but will definetly will return with the kids someday! If you visit the Bahamas and stay anywhere else you will be very disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank Jake&Maggie
Reviewed September 16, 2007

When we first got there at the airport ,people were nice and all.
But as we got to the Hotel property everything seems like it was going in a Rush! Do this Do that! Not sense of direction what so ever and no one will tell you where to go.I guess I could have name my Vacation "LOST" to begin with, but then the waiters and waitresses starting to ask for "TIPS" on top of the TIp already given to them (up to 15%) without asking us.Ha.Was so mad I wanted to get out there in the same RUsh I got IN.
Got my experience ,will never go there again and probably will boked back my vacation in the Dominican Republic which it was GREAT ,from the year before.
good luck .

Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!