“prepare in advance! It will be a great and memorable trip.”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed August 19, 2010

This was a trip planned 6-7 months in advance. We had a large party 10 adults, a teen,
three kids and a 17 month old. We booked 2 two bedroom deluxe villas.
Cost was 8400 for four nights. If you go to starwood vacation you could probably reduce
the cost to 5800 but you may possibly have to listen to a timeshare presentation. The cheapest room at atlantis is about 400 or 450 per night and the most expensive
would be at the cove 650 or ocean club 700 per night. Given the fact that there is a plethora of activities and beautiful scenery and of course, all the water parks- the rooms are reasonably priced.
It was hot and humid so august may not be the best time to visit. They say this is slow
season but the hotel was very very crowded. Reserving your spot is crucial if you want
to lounge with some shade. Go early before 930 am and you should be fine.
Always go through either the coral or royal tower if you don't want to walk for miles
to get to the pool sites. The grounds are well maintained and the pools are very clean.
The temperature of the water is very very pleasant and warm.
FOOD: I would recommend fathoms (in front of the DIG) for breakfast. 17.95 per person
Carmines is great but portions are gargantuan. One order feeds at least 3-4 people.(35-50 entree prices)
The titanic is a great dessert that literally will feed 5-6 people. We really liked the poop deck across the bridge but the cab ride is rather expensive.( 4 dollars per person ) THe plantains here are a must try and the fish was very fresh.
We ventured into the fish fry area and ate at seafood haven which was more authentic
local cuisine. There was live music and a very casual atmosphere. Again the cab ride
at 3-4 dollars per person the 15-20 minute ride to the downtown area can be a deterrent.
Realize service is rather slow so be prepared to wait at most restaurants. Advance reservations will always save you precious time if you are on a schedule.
We really saved money by eating breakfast and lunch at the condo.
There is only a stovetop and toaster and microwave available. NO OVENS.
Pack water and soda and snacks if you can. Prices are astronomical.
My brothers did some grocery shopping( juice eggs milk water, two bottles of wine, maybe 24 cans of beer, cream cheese, oil, butter, 20-24 cans of pop) 300 dollars!
We brought bagels from home(costco) , a brita water filter, oreo cookies, pringles cans
starbucks coffee, and granola bars. These proved essential for our family trip.
Final note: don't forget the sunscreen/block and aloe vera gel unless you want to pay
17-30 dollars a bottle. (hats and sunglasses too) floaties, toys for the beach and swim diapers for those with young kids

THere are a ton of activities all listed on the atlantean newsletter.
Free movies and free scheduled classes are available if you have the time.
THe shuttle leaves every 4-7 minutes from the villas and this is very very convenient.
Internet is available in the lobby for 15 minutes per day and is complimentary but there is usually a wait.
Housekeeping comes daily. We had issues with the safe and electrical outlet but these
were corrected immediately.
GET YOUR WRISTBANDS at the pool by HARBORSIDE villas NOT at the main pool .
You will avoid long lines.
THe marina is a great place to go in the evening, shop and admire the beautiful boats.
CASINO is a terrific diversion for the adults.

This place is grand and opulent and similar to LAS VEGAS combined with pools and a waterpark.
YOU WILL ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!!!!
FUN SUN REST AND RELAXATION.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank napervilletraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Another location that my wife and I make numerous trips to each year is Harborside at the Atlantis in the Bahamas. The atmosphere of the entire complex is great . Our accommodations at the resort are top shelf, along with an excellent management team.
As far as food goes, too many restaurants-all good. Activities-too may to indicate. Harborside affords us the quieter side of our time spent there, private pool, fitness center. Nightlife is very good-having a choice of numerous activities at the Atlantis itself or in town. There are numerous tour trips available as well as visiting the out islands such as Eleuthera. The entire complex is quite extrodinary, never had a moment of boredom. A great place for couples or families.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed at Harborside July 24-31. There were 9 of us (two families) with kids ages 16, 14, 13, 13, and 8. Our flight arrived over an hour late but Sandra Ferguson was waiting on us when we stepped out of the airport. She put all the luggage in one van and all of us in another van. (Highly recommend Sandra, she called us to arrange our transportation back to the airport too.) We stopped at the liquor store and the grocery store. I was surprised that the grocery store had most of the same name brands as we have at home. Some things were more expensive and some were about the same. We did see some out of date items. We packed one suitcase full of snack type foods and were glad we did.
We rented a timeshare from an owner on the internet. He had told us we would receive a certain unit (he gave me the unit number) indicating it was one of the best locations available. Therefore, I didn’t make any special request on the room. I called two days before we were to arrive to confirm reservation and I was told we were not assigned to any particular unit, it would be assigned upon arrival. This is very different from what the owner indicated. We arrived about 7pm on Saturday night. There were two others at the desk complaining about their locations. I asked for the unit number the owner had told me and was told it was not available. The lady at the desk (she was very nice) went to the back for about 5 min or so and came back to say she was able to get us a better unit than originally assigned. We were in building 2 overlooking the pool and harbor. We have rooms 3732 and 3733 (a large one-bedroom connected to small one-bedroom). The location was very good. The units had been renovated with new carpet, furniture and appliances. I was very happy it. I think we lucked out on the location. There are quite a few buildings that have no views whatsoever. We got a roll away bed since we have 3 kids. Two slept on the fold out sofa and one on the roll away. There was plenty of room in the living room for the roll away. The girls said the sofa bed was very comfortable.
Every morning I would leave our condo about 7:45 and go over to the Royal Towers to save chairs for the day near the Mayan Temple. The first morning I didn’t do this and there were only a few chairs open at 10am and none with shade. We took an ice chest with drinks and snacks to the pool every day which I highly recommend. We ate lunch every day at Shark Bite Express. They had value meals for $8-$9 that included a ton a fries and refillable drink. We shared and it was plenty. The water rides were a lot of fun. The lines were not long – typically less than 10 minutes. We would leave the water park each day about 4pm or so and go back to the pool at Harborside. We made drinks in the condo and would take down to the pool. Also, The Point had $5 drink specials at happy hour every day 5-7pm. It was fun to relax in the pool and watch the big yachts come in. The girls went to bingo a couple of days and thought it was fun. They also did arts and crafts a few times. The kids went to Club Rush every night – they loved it. They met lots of kids and would meet up with them at the water park the next day. We felt safe letting the kids run around on the shuttles. The staff was always nice and helpful.
One of our most fun days was a snorkeling/island excursion. We rented a boat from Basil Taylor for the day and he took us on a tour around Paradise Island, snorkeling (3 stops) and to Rose Island. It was so much fun. I was so glad we were not on the tour boats with 100s of people waiting to get in the water. Basil was very professional and flexible. His website is blueholewatersports. Next time we will feel comfortable driving the boat ourselves.
I had done lots of research prior to our trip on restaurants. We only had reservations at Carmines. The service was slow but the food was very good. The bill for 9 of us was about $170. The adults ate at Carmines a second time. Again the food was good - service just so-so. We also ate at Murry’s Deli – ok; Bimini’s – we liked it, good service, just walked in about 7:30pm and got seated right away; Green Parrot – terrible service, food and drinks just so-so, will not go back; Marina Pizza – very good, the Bahamian Chicken Pizza and garlic bread was excellent; Hard Rock – ok; Anthony’s – ate breakfast here, service was very good. One night we went to Twin Brothers Fish Fry – the food was very good. We ordered pizza for the kids several nights. Dominoes had a special – two large cheese pizzas and 2 liter soda for $20. Overall, our eating experiences were very good. I thought the prices were very comparable to Disney restaurants.
I was very glad we stayed at Harborside and when we go back we will stay here again. I thought it was an excellent value. I loved having room to spread out and the washer and dryer. We heard lots about how expensive Atlantis was before we went. I thought it was very comparable to other resort vacations. It cost less than our ski vacations and about the same as Disney (with 2 rooms at a value resort). Our kids said it was one of their favorites because there were so many kids there to hang out with. We are already talking about next year! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
9  Thank TXLisaP
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My husband and I took my parents to the Atlantis to celebrate their 60th birthdays. After much consideration, we chose a 2 bedroom condo at Harborside. For the price, I feel this was the best option for us. Nowhere else on property could we have stayed a whole week with 2 separate bedrooms and baths for what we paid.

I will say that travelers on a budget should explore options other than booking directly through Harborside. You can get a much better price by finding timeshare websites that list timeshares that are available to rent for the week directly through the timeshare owner. You can also sometimes find good Harborside timeshare deals on Ebay.

When we arrived in the Bahamas, the wait at the first check-in at customs was very long. Be prepared if you arrive at a time when many other flights are arriving. I am used to much faster customs experiences.

We had our cab driver stop at the grocery store on the way to Harborside. I HIGHLY recommend doing this. Harborside runs shuttles from the resort to the grocery store, but they leave at 10:00 am, and they stay at the grocery store at least an hour, so by the time you get back to your room, put groceries away, and get dressed for the pool, you have lost a lot of vacation time. We were very happy with our decision to get groceries on the way in.

We were in Phase II, building 5. I had requested an upper floor with a harbor view a month before our trip and again a week before our trip. We were given a room on the bottom floor facing the pool. No big deal, we're on vacation and this was not something to fret about, but it's worth noting that I don't think they really even made an effort to honor requests, so don't get your hopes up. It is worth noting that we had no problems with bugs in our room. We have had issues with creepy crawlies in other Caribbean hotels on the bottom floor, so we very much appreciated whatever measures they have taken to control the pests.

Also, our room assignment turned out to be a blessing in disguise. You have to pay for internet in your rooms at Harborside, however there is free wireless by the pool. Our room was close enough to the pool that we could sit on the balcony and use the free wireless, so getting a ground-floor room by the pool may be a great money-saving option for anyone planning to use their computers on the trip.

We did not take any perishable groceries with us (though we did take snacks and pop tarts) but I do recommend packing a soft collapsible cooler in your suitcase. We took an insulated beach bag and it came in handy. At the grocery store on our way in we bought our perishables but our room was not available yet, so we threw the perishables in the cooler and had lunch at the Point where they filled our beach bag/cooler with ice. Our food stayed cool until our room was ready. Each morning when we would head out to Aquaventure, we would fill our cooler with drinks we bought at the store. It was nice to have with us.

The room itself was fine. It's not a luxury accommodation, but it was adequate. If you are looking for a luxury experience, consider the Cove, Reef, or One and Only Club. Though you're paying luxury prices at the other hotels, the rooms are not luxury. We were prepared for this, so there were no surprises.

If anyone in your group has any difficulty with mobility, rent them a motorized scooter. The resort is enormous and your trip will be much better if they aren't limited by their mobility.

Shuttles - I do have a serious complaint about the shuttles. There is only one shuttle that is handicapped accessible (has a lift for a wheelchair) and that shuttle is usually parked somewhere in a lot without a driver. Anytime we needed to transport my father who was using a motorized scooter, we had to wait for them to send a driver and get the shuttle. We do appreciate that they have this shuttle available, but there were times when we waited 30-45 minutes. There was also an instance where the handicapped shuttle was broken down in the lot and they had no alternative for us, and another day the lift was broken, so while they got the shuttle to us, they couldn't get my dad in it.

Eventually we realized it was just easier for my dad to ride his scooter to wherever we were going, and the rest of us took the passenger shuttles and met him at the destination. This arrangement worked out fine for us, but it was really a shame that this is the best option we had. For families who have someone with limited mobility who isn't independent enough to learn their way from Harborside to the other hotels by themselves, I would discourage you from staying at Harborside.

Because I had done a lot of research on the Atlantis before our trip, I was prepared for the expensive food there. In fact, we were over-prepared for the cost. Things weren't nearly as expensive as we had expected. You're on vacation, things are going to be a little more expensive, but we ate what we wanted, where we wanted, when we wanted, and our food bill for all 4 adults for a week was $1200. We ate breakfast in the room, lunch by the pools (often getting a combo meal) and then dinner at Mesa Grill, Murrays x2, Marina Pizza, Carmines, Market Place, and Bimini Road.

For those who are packing food for breakfast and lunch, account for leftovers. We were not prepared for how large the portions were when we went out to eat, and we often had tons of leftovers after each meal. (In hindsight, we probably could have shared entrees.) We have fairly hearty appetites, and we always (except for Mesa Grill) had enough food left from dinner for at least one meal the next day (though we did not bother dragging our leftovers to the pool, we wound up throwing most of them away when we left).

Overall, we had a great time at the Atlantis, and I would recommend Harborside for anyone who is not limited by mobility. You get the most for your money here.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
12  Thank NegrilBride
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We are a family of 5, with a 13, 10 and 3 year old. Our kids, especially the older ones are water kids, love to swim, anything water they love.

We loved Harborside, we stayed phase 1, building 1 in a newly renovated 1 bedroom premium (which is the larger one). It was plenty of space for all of us. In addition to the king bed, pull-out, you can request a twin bed roll away which was perfect for my 13 year old. Having a kitchen with fridge, etc was perfect for our lazy mornings.

Shuttles between buildings were great, we never waited more than 5 minutes for one.

We really loved Marina Village, we ate dinner at Carmines, food was very good, large portions and we did have left overs. Food is generally very expensive, we did get groceries on our way to Harborside from airport, worked very well. You do not need to call ahead to reserve taxi, there are plenty waiting outside airport. We did not try any buffets, I think a few had been recommended but to justify how expensive they are for what we truly eat as a family, we just didn't do it. There are several outdoor pool places (Shark Bites Express) that have some "value meals" that we did have a number of days for lunch. It still is high but relative to a la carte items, a pretty good deal. As long as know that you are going to spend a lot on food, you are fine. If you can't past that, this may not be the right place for you.

The water park, Aquaventure and all surrounding pools, are wonderful. We loved the lazy river, especially our 13 and 10 year old. Based on previous recommendations, we went to the Cove Beach/Pool and really enjoyed it too. The locals are not able to come on this beach to try and sell their water activities, jewelry, braiding, etc. It didn't really bother us on the other beach, but it was a nice change at Cove Beach.

Overall, I would recommend Harborside/Atlantis,especially to families. I think it is a great place to stay for families, gives you so much more than a hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Shannon H
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We started our trip by having Sandra Ferguson pick us up at the airport $65.00 for the 6 of us with a stop at the grocery and the liquor store. 50.00 for the trip back phone# cell 242-376-9391 or 242-525-9532 the hotel will call her for you to schedule pick up time back to the airport. We had 2 adults and our 25 and 27 year old children and there boyfriend and girlfriend. The 2 adults took carry on luggage in place of our check in bags we had a pull with wheels cooler and a large suitcase for food. NOTE if you go over 50 lbs in the cooler it cost up to $50.00 and a second cooler is only 20.00 so you may just want the second cooler. We brought most of our own food. Food is not cheep
Breakfast:
We brought mini bagels freeze them and then put them in a back pack to carry down
cereal, pop tarts,cream cheese
Lunch:
We brought down lunch meats turkey, ham, cheese, we also brought down cans of tuna and chicken for chicken salad. If you put the lunch meats in between the frozen food it stays fine.
Each person carried 2 containers of pringles for chips
Dinner:
We frooze saugage , boneless chicken which we cut ahead in strips, shaved steaks, hamburger patties, hotdogs, meatballs, salsa,spagetti sauce, peppers, onions(in ziplock double bags) We cooked some of the chicken and make chicken salad for lunches.
Snacks:
We brought popcorn, cheese to cut up .we packed crackers put them in your cooler bags so they dont get crunched. We brought crystal light to mix with our water.
Bring:
extra zip lock bags to make your lunches in ,we also had each person with there own small carry plastic cooler bag for waters lunch and beverages. small mustard ketchup and mayo (plastic bottles), salt and perrper. we brought purlex pads in the box to do your laundry. They had dishwasher detergent and dishwasher soap.
Note: we took the plastic cups from the first day and filled them with water and made ice for our cooler bags.
Store: we brough our milk , gallon bottles of water ( get enough, we went thru 2 a day) and we brought ?16oz water bottles for each person to have there own each day bring sharpie to label. bread for sandwich, rolls for hot dogs and hamburgers , lettuce, celery,eggs if you want.Food is cheaper off the island so get enough when you go to the store.
Beverage: Beer is very expensive on and off the resort. Vodka ($7.00), wine etc is not. Soda across the street from the resort is cheap.
There are stores across the street go to the pharmacy if you need more water 2.95 or so for a gallon jug 5.00 at the store.
Bring plenty of sun screen very expensive there.Happy hour at the pool bar 5-7 $ 5.00 for frozen drinks.
We ate at the poop deck (taxi ride) $4.00 per person each way.$200.00 for the 6 of us with 2 drinks each and appetizers and meals.
We also ate at the green parrot walking distance very resonable for food and drinks.
Have a great time we did.
Hope this helps
Also if you want a spa they offer discounts we got 1 hour for 89.00

Have a great time we did..

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank Doug C
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a week’s stay, May 30-June6, 2010, at Harborside Resort. We are Starwood Vacation Owners and used our StarOptions to book this stay. We had a wonderful week, and will definitely return to Harborside.

Accommodations

We were joined by 2 other couples (everyone aged 28-35), and we stayed in a 3 bedroom lockoff (1 bedroom adjoined to a 2 bedroom) on the top floor of building 4. The rooms were very clean upon arrival, and check-in was a breeze. The carpet was wet in the 2 bedroom as they had just finished cleaning it. This was no problem as we immediately notified the front desk .Housekeeping was very quick about brining blowers to dry it. There is a complimentary touch up on Wednesday. You can pay to have housekeeping come in more than once during your stay. Our travel companions said that the rooms looked just like the picture and was everything they expected it to be.

Airport Transfer

We used Fergie’s Taxi service. We booked with her about 2 weeks before departure. The cost for 6 people was excellent in comparison to some of the other services available. Fergie’s was prompt at arrival and departure.

Food is expensive at Atlantis. This is something you are aware of before traveling, so simply plan accordingly. We actually spent a lot less money than we expected even after ordering drinks, dessert, and appetizers most nights. Initially, we contemplated the dining plan, but we were very pleased we did not at the end of our trip.

We stopped at the store to buy water, milk for cereal, and a few other incidentals before we arrived at Atlantis. If you choose not to stop on your way in, that is not a problem as there is a store across the street from the Marina Village, which we discovered on the last few days.

Most days, we did not get up and out in time to catch breakfast. We ate on snacks we brought with us or ate at the poolside bars and grills, which are relatively inexpensive. We ate dinner all nights at the Atlantis restaurants.

Places we dined:

Mosaic – excellent food! It’s a buffet for $59 per person, but well worth it; About $130-150 with drinks.

Mesa Grill – Fantastic food! Best margaritas on the property; $130-150 with drinks and dessert.

Carmines – Family style Italian. 4 of us ate here. We had one appetizer, one entrée, one side and had to pass on dessert because it was too much food. This was more than enough food. Carmines will be the best value for families because you will have leftovers. Costs only about $60 per couple and this was with drinks.

The Pointe –Best burgers! A little expensive, but they have $5 drinks from 5-7.

Bimini Road – our least favorite spot. Food was mediocre to say the least. The service was bad. Although, we had great drinks. Cost $100-115. Probably would not go back here on our next visit to Harborside/Atlantis. There are too many other places to choose from.

Seafire Steak House – Excellent Steaks! This was our most expensive dinner. We had steaks, sides (the creamed spinach and artichokes are to die for), drinks, and dessert and that tab came to $195.

Nobu- You must try the Black Cod! The sushi was the best we ever had. The chocolate box cake with green tea ice cream was simply scrumptious. With entrees, sushi, dessert, and saki, the tab was about $150.

We also enjoyed Jamba Juice and Ben and Jerry’s in the Marina Village. On the last day, we went across the street to Anthony’s Grill for breakfast, which was reasonably priced and good food.

Food Tips:
1. Set a food budget.
2. Bring dry foods with you to cut cost.
3. Look at the menus on Atlantis.com before you go. Get an idea of what you might order to plan your budget. The menus posted are not limited to the items listed. Also, there are more restaurants available on the property than are listed on the website.
4. Make dinner reservations before you go. We did this, and we were able to get all the times that we wanted.
5. You don’t have to cook, unless you just want to, to keep food cost inexpensive.
6. Save on alcohol by buying making drinks in your room instead of ordering them.

Activities
We had planned to do several things while there (powerboat, Dolphin encounters, Snuba, Comedy Club), but simply ran out of time.

If you don’t want to go off site, there are plenty of things to keep you occupied at Atlantis. We were able to do the following:

1. Explore the property. (Do this on the first day to get yourself oriented with where things are.)
2. Check out the Dig and all the marine life exhibits.
3. Golf lessons at the Ocean Club. This was a great experience.
4. Aquaventure – the slides and the current were addictive. We spent several days doing them. They can be a bit crowded on days when ships are at port, but it was not unbearably crowded as there are many pools for people to go to.
5. Rock climbing – there is a $15 cost for this. It is worth it though.
6. The beach and Jet skiing – on the beach there are vendors (not affiliated with Atlantis) offering parasailing and jet skiing. The offering price is $70/hour, but that is negotiable. We got 1 ½ hours for $130. If one vendor will not bend, then just go to another one.
7. Walk the bridge – Found this to be a free way to get some panoramic shots of Atlantis. The walk is not bad at all and it doesn’t take that long to get to all the shops on Bay Street and the Straw Market.
8. Spa - Has a great ambiance and a wide variety of excellent services. Excellent massage treatments.
9. Movie Theater - offeres complimentary recent movies through out the day.

Getting around

Shuttles between the buildings are abundant and make getting to and from places a breeze. Even if you choose to walk, it isn’t so bad.

All in all this was a great vacation. There are no complaints about anything in our travel group. Everyone had a very relaxing week. Staying at Harborside is the best way to really enjoy Atlantis. It is quiet, and it is accessible to the best playland in the Bahamas for a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple