“Still loving Harborside after 3 return visits”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Seattle, WA
Reviewed February 13, 2006

This was our thrid trip to Atlantis Harborside. We actually bought there five years ago, but have traded out in two of the years.

The resort just keeps getting better and better. The new Marina village is up and running with four great restruants and some wonderful shops --including a full sized Starbucks. The resort is great --my only complaint this year was the hot tub was too hot --I amguessing about 106 degrees. No one could stay in for more than few minutes except a Japanses family that thought it was perfect. We complained every day and every day we were told the tub was fine and they wouldn't lower the heat. At one point there were six of us sitting around the tub with nothing but our feet in the water when the manager came over. He stuck his hand in the water and say that feels fine. Everyone sitting there complained, but he still wouldn't do anything. Finally he comes back with a small bucket of ice and throws it in this tub which is 12 feet across and said "maybe this will help." We all burst out laughing.

Here are some tips to save money. They say you can't check in to your room unitl 4:00, but we found the rooms are almost always ready about 2:00. When we arrive at the airport, we ask the taxi driver to take us to a supermarket to buy food. There is a large supermarket in the suburbs near the airport on the way into town. It is much cheaper than the city market in town or the little market in Hurrican Hole Plaza across from the resort. Obviously if you arrive at 9AM you wouldn't want to buy much frozen or refrigerated products, but we usually get in about noon or 1PM, so by the time we shop and get to the resort we can usually get right into our room.

We always go out to one of the expensive resturants at least twice, but like to save money other nights.
A great place to eat, drink and meet people is the Green Parrot Bar at the Hurrican Hole Marina. Its about a 5 minute walk from the resort --just ask the front desk for directions because it is hidden away. The food is excellent, the view is awesome and its cheap !!! Another good place is Anthony's Bar adn Grill, just across the street from Marina Village. If you look at the Scotia Bank on the cornor, go left and walk about 100 yards and you will find Anthonys. The menu is Italian and Bahamahian. There is also an excellent small Italian resturant in the Hurricane Hole Plaza. I can't remember the name but its easy to find.

Breakfast: Most mornings we just cook and eat in the room, but we do like to go out once in a while. When you corss the street to the Hurricane Hole Plaza there is always a cute Bahamian girl standing there with menus and she directs you to the Good Foods place with the Yellow Umbrellas. Just before you get to it, you pass a place with blue umbrellas. Stop There. The food is good in both places, but the place with the Yellow umbrellas has horrible service. There is one redeeming feature about Good foods with the Yellow Umbrellas --they bake fresh bagles every morning (which are very hard to find in the Bahamas). The service is so bad I don't want to sit down and have a bagle, but I sometimes walk over in the morning and buy a few and take back to the room. They even give you cream cheese and jelly with each bagle for no extra charge.

Cool Trip: One of the best trips to take is the day-long Island World Adventures. You ride out to a distant very private island in a fast Cigarette-type boat. It really moves and can be a little chilly so always take a sweatshirt or light jacket. Once there you have a great lunch with open bar and explore the island. Next they take you to a fabulous snorkle place --very private and teeming with fish. Next you stop at a sand bar in the middle of the ocean and get out and walk around. Fianlly you go to another private small island where you feed these big lizards. You get back to Nassau about 4PM. Really Really cool trip.

Stayed: February 2006
33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed February 8, 2006

Just got back from a weeks stay at Harborside. (Jan 24-31) Travelled with my husband, 18 month old daughter and sister-in-law (brought to help with daughter). We all had a fantastic time! We stayed in the smallest one bedroom, but lucked out with a corner unit so we had an extra 60 or so square feet and a balcony with table and chairs. The condo was super nice! Granite counter tops, Bose stereo system, 2 big TV's with DVD players and excellent beds. My sister in law said the pull out couch was very comfy as well. Harborside provided a full size crib with bumber for my daughter as well as a highchair! We were very happy with the unit.

We didn't meet anyone who was unfriendly. Everyone was so happy to have us and took the time to talk/play with our daughter. Atlantis is a wonderful place for small children. My daughter loved the zero entry pools and kiddie waterslides that we could ride with her. The aquariams are amazing! It wasn't crowded at all while we were there so getting poolside chairs was no problem. We will definitely return in the future.

Here are a few tips:
1) Don't eat at Bimini Road. The food is horrible. It looks inviting, but don't be fooled!
2) The grounds of Atlantis are not stroller friendly. We brought a small light weight stroller and ended up carrying it up and down the stairs.
3) The ferry to Nassau and the staw market are fun to do. Again DO NOT bring a stroller into the straw market. The asiles are so narrow you can barley walk through them.
4) Zio Gigi's is a great little Italian resturant off site that has excellent food at resonable prices. It's a quick 5 min. walk from Harborside in the Hurricane Hole plaza. (we ate there twice!)
5) Bring snack and meals for little ones if you are travelling with small children. Kids meals are outrageously priced. I paid 12 dollars for a small bowl of noodles and marina sauce for my daughter..We tried to feed her before we went to dinner and then let her nibble off our plates.
6) If you travel in the winter, bring a sweater or light jacker to wear in the evenings. Also it gets pretty windy that time of year. We had 30 mph winds one day!!
7)The Harborside pool was not heated and felt very cold. We spent all of our time at the Atlantis pools. This was a bummer because the Harborside pool is very nice and convient.
8) Be on the look out for celebrities! We saw former president Clinton, Cedric the entertainer, Alan Thicke, Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley to name a few!

Anyway, loved the Harborside and can't wait to return!

26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2006

Harborside is a wonderful resort. The staff-professional and friendly, the room-great view of the marina and the multi-million dollar yachts, great amenities, if you come prepared. Furnishings-excellent, bed-very comfortable, nice to have a washer/dryer.

We stayed in the first phase, had a VCR instead of a DVD, and an older TV, but what are you in paradise for? Our view of the Royal Towers was blocked a bit by the palm fronds, but the view of the marina was excellent.

We'll be back at Harborside. Kudos to Kenva, the concierge desk-she took care of all our requests very professionally, and with a great smiling attitude.

Note that you should be prepared-no coffee or filters in the room, no laundry soap, and two packets of dishwasher detergent. Bring your own coffee (about a pound for a week) and filters!

20  Thank bankerdavid
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 5, 2006

Just got back from a 7 night stay at the Harborside with my two year old and I realized that it is much better to stay at the Harborside if you have a child than at the main resort.

Room - We stayed in the Premium Deluxe room which was about 1000 sq ft. and had a full kitchen, washer dryer, two tvs with DVDs. The room was great because it was large and relatively new. My wife took the shuttle to the grocery store the first day and stocked up on the food. It was nice to wake up in the morning and eat breakfast in the room instead of going to a restaurant. Harborside also has its own pool which is nice if one day you want to get away from altantis and just have a regular day at the pool.

I talked with a couple families that were staying in the beach or coral towers and were not too happy with their rooms specifically the guests mentioned that the rooms were drab and had not been updated in a while. This was not the case at the Harborside

Food - The highlight of our trip was eating at Nobu. It has only been open for a couple weeks but the food and the service were great. We also ate at Dune at the Ocean Club which has a great view of the ocean and good food (the food was not as good as Nobu) but still very good. In addition we ate at Johnny Rockets which was good if you just want a burger and fries. Bimini Road was horrible and should be avoided. The buffet at the Marketplace was good but I could see how it could get really old, really fast.

Baby sitting - The Baby sitting was very reliable and professional. I was told that each sitter is CPR certified and has had a background check done on them. I used them twice and was extreme happy with the service

Service - The service is hit or miss. I attribute that to the fact that a 15% gratuity is added to every restaurant bill. Once you sit down and order there is no reason for the server to go out of their way for you. At some places the service was great and at others it was passable. Things are expensive here and the service should be more consistant.

Resort - The grounds of the Resort are impressive and well maintained. There really is something for everybody here. If you want to play golf the Ocean Club's course is beautiful. There are two great kids pools and slides and the Marine life is more impressive than I thought it would be. The walk from Harborside to Atlantis takes you by some very impressive yachts in the Harbor. There is also a bus service which runs every 5mins but the walk was easy and took you by a starbucks so we walked the majority of the time.

If you are looking for a warm place nearby to spend with you family Harborside is a good place to go.

26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dutchess County, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2006

We just got back from a 5 day/4 night stay at Harborside Resort/Atlantis. What a great place to stay. The resort is kept beautifully, the staff friendly and helpful, and being part of the Atlantis resort makes it even better. We stayed in a one-bedroom premium suite. We were 3 adults and my 10 year old son. There was plenty of room and privacy for all of us. The amenities in the room are all top notch, including a Bose sound system, flat screen tv's and cd/dvd players, and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The pool at the Harborside is real nice, the pool water was cold the first day we got there, but the large jacuzzi was very warm and welcoming! After full days on the beach and at the awesome water slides and pools at the Atlantis, it was nice for all of us to be able to come back to the suite and be able to make a pot of coffee, watch some movies or listen to some music while waiting for the other to get ready for dinner. Speaking of food, it can be very pricey to eat, especially the restaurants in Atlantis itself. Although the food was good at the buffets, I don't think it was worth the $180+ cost for the 4 of us. But, we found a really nice place to eat, Anthony's Caribbean Grill, a very short walk from the Harborside. The food was really good, with many choices on the menu and reasonably priced. We had a breakfast, lunch and dinner there and every meal was better than expected. All and all, if you've never been to the Bahamas, the Atlantis is the place to go and you will not be disappointed in the Harborside Resort. We took the promotional time-share tour for the $150, and wound up buying one! We can't wait to go back next year!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bournemouth, UK
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Main Atlantis resort was superb - the facilities, pools, fish tanks etc. all fantastic.

My main gripes with The Harbourside are:-

Location, across the marina and we were told that we could use the lockers at the transit lounges to go swimming and leave cameras, valuables etc. Well we couldn't (only on day of arrival and departure). So to go swimming / on water slides and take pictures / videos - you can only take a disposable. Then back round the marina or a ride on the shuttle to get your things.

View, there were no direct beach / sea views from the rooms, some had marina or nassau harbour views but that is not the same.

Price, bearing in mind the location and view at Christmas it is ridiculously overpriced.

The above all said, the apartments were nice and very functional, but I wouldn't return to the harbourside, I would prefer to wait for the new all suite block which is being built (nice beach / sea views) right next to the main resort.

For couples I would definately recommend the One & Only Ocean Club.

The gourmet restaurants were great - especialy Dune for location and food, Fathoms location and food, Bahamian Club for food and Villa D'este for food. They are all extortiently priced though with cheques for 2 x adults and 1 x infant ranging from $230 to $350 !!!! That's without bottles of champagne which were priced at 3-4 times shop price and I don't mind paying double but that's daylight robbery. Down the road from Coral Towers, pink shops with 2 off licences / liquor stores - go to the one in the middle / off the main road, got 3 x Moet Rose for about £30 each !!!

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cape Coral, FL/New York, NY
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We returned today from our four-day, three-night vacation to Atlantis. We had a wonderful time and I wanted to thank those of you who posted comments about Atlantis and the Harborside Resort at Atlantis-- your comments were a great resource for us as we planned our trip. I am writing in case something about our trip could be helpful to those of you planning to come to Atlantis soon. I will attempt to be fairly detailed for those of you who, like me, find details helpful.

CHOOSING THE HARBORSIDE

We chose the Harborside Resort after initially making reservations at the Comfort Suites right outside Atlantis. We knew we wanted to spend our time at Atlantis, but we weren't willing to spend $3-500 for a room. After booking a room at the Comfort Inn (which I had some reservations about, given the number of negative reviews on this site), my husband and I saw an online ad for $499 for three nights at Atlantis. We called just to check out the deal and found out that it was $499 per person (as we suspected) and, just as I was about to hang up the phone, the agent said that they had a different special going on where you could stay in a one-room suite at the Harborside, which is part of Atlantis, for three nights-- round-trip airport transfers included (over a $50 value) and taxes (between 12-15%)/maid fees ($4/person/day)/energy charges ($4/person/day) included-- for only $701. When she described the room and I did the math, I realized that the Harborside would actually be a better deal than the best rate at the Comfort Suites.

ARRIVAL/ATLANTIS (THE MAIN RESORT)

When we arrived at the resort, our room wasn't quite ready (we arrived before the 4pm check-in time) so we left our bags with a bellman, who took them up to our room when it was ready. We headed immediately to the main part of the resort, which completely blew us away. We travel fairly frequently and have stayed at some neat places, but nothing really prepared us for Atlantis. In a word, Atlantis is spectacular. My description could never do it justice and I only wish that I had pictures to attach.

FOOD

We were starving, so when we'd gawked at the fish for long enough, we plopped down on some beach chairs by the lagoon and ordered lunch (cracked conch). The food was good, but I can't give the poolside food the same rave reviews that I'd give other aspects of the resort. It certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything to go on and on about. Even though I can't give the food high marks, I agree with other reviewers who said that the cheapest place to eat pool-side is the little hamburger bar that's right by the waterslides. On our second day we ate there and ordered the combo deal with two cheeseburgers, two fries, and two cokes for under $15. Not a bad price for pool food, particularly considering the free refills at the soda fountain!

Our one dinner at the resort was at the Atlas Grill in the casino and I would give it very low marks. My "Thai Beef Salad" consisted of cold slices of fatty beef on top of shredded iceberg lettuce-- a far cry from the description on the menu. We also went to the Poop Deck (next door to Bahamas Divers) for lunch. The view is pretty and the hamburgers were good, although nothing to write home about.

Note that whenever you eat in the Bahamas, you should check your bill to see if a 15% service charge has been added "for your convenience." Chances are, it's on there... even if your waitress/waiter was surly and your food takes 25 minutes to come to the table.

POOL/WATER SLIDES

One of the things I appreciated about the pool area was that, even though they take hoardes of non-guests on tours of some areas, they don't let them traipse through the areas where you're laying out. Furthermore, I think I've seen more lax security in some airports than they have at the Atlantis pool area. You CANNOT get to the pool without your room key, nor can you get towels without it. As long as you remember your key, you'll appreciate that aspect because you won't have to fight a non-guest for a lounge chair and you don't have anyone asking you if you want to buy a sarong or have them braid your hair.

I don't recall any reviewers talking about the water slides at Atlantis, so I'll just mention that they're terrific. My husband rode all of them over and over like a little kid, and I thought they were a blast, too. My favorite was the slide where you ride an inner tube down the slide and shoot right through the shark tank (don't worry-- you're inside a plexiglas tunnel). It was very, very cool!

OUR ROOM AT THE HARBORSIDE

After we'd had enough sun, we walked back to the Harborside. The walk between the main resort and the Harborside takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on whether you stop to grab some ice cream or check out the stores. When we got to our room, we were thrilled. Our room was actually a suite, with a full kitchen (small oven, full-size fridge/freezer/ice maker, dishwasher, microwave, blender, etc), a dining room, living room, washer/dryer (BYO detergent), king-sized bed and a jetted garden bath tub. Our room also had a neat view of the multi-million dollar luxury yachts docked in the marina situated in between Harborside and the main resort. The room looked EXACTLY like the pictures on the Atlantis website, so check that out if you're wondering how it will look. All in all, it appeared nearly brand new and was very clean. We also were extrordinarily pleased with the service at the front desk-- they seemed happy to help at all times.

ACTIVITIES

We were there for a short time, so we only had time for a 2-tank dive and a jet ski rental. We dove with Bahamas Divers because they were much closer to the hotel than Stuart Cove's and we didn't want to lose the 2+ hours that it would take to drive back and forth to Stuart Cove's. The dive was pretty, but I would just call your attention to the fact that the price they quote you does not include a snorkel and fins or a wet suit, which are essential to the operation. If you're doing multiple dives and can bring your own equipment, I would recommend it.

We also rented a jet ski on the beach. When they initially approached us they wanted $60 for a half hour... with hardly any bargaining they brought the price down $10.

CHECKING OUT/AIRPORT

The checkout time at the Harborside is 10 am. There is a $150 fee for late check-outs, but ask to use the "Transit Lounge," which is a facility at the main resort where you can store a small bag with clothing and toiletries after check-out, then shower and change before you leave for the airport. Towels, shampoo, conditioner, and liquid soap are supplied, as is a hair dryer. They even have a machine that dries your swimsuit for you.

Allot roughly one hour to get to and from the airport. We arrived on a Saturday and departed on a Tuesday and the air port was not terribly crowded. You should absolutely, positively NOT wait to eat at the airport, nor should you plan to buy a magazine or book while you're waiting for your flight. The food was poor and the prices for books/magazines/souveniers were laughable. For example, a souvenier rum cake on Paradise Island was $3.75; at the airport it was nearly twice as much. Two small bars of soap, each smaller than a deck of playing cards, was $9.75.

SUMMARY

In sum, we would give the highest rating to the Harborside Resort as well as Paradise Island in general. We spent no time at all in Nassau, not only because we had a short time on the island but also because it frankly wasn't very appealing. Our rating takes into account the fact that no vacation, and no resort, can be 100% perfect, but the Harborside came as close as possible for our purposes. If a room is not available at the Harborside and you are deterred by the cost of a room at the main resort, I recommend looking into the Comfort Suites. The access to Atlantis will make it worth every penny.

Enjoy your trip!