“HARBORSIDE IS WONDERFUL!!!”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“HARBORSIDE IS WONDERFUL!!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2006

We just got back from a 5 day/4 night stay at Harborside Resort/Atlantis. What a great place to stay. The resort is kept beautifully, the staff friendly and helpful, and being part of the Atlantis resort makes it even better. We stayed in a one-bedroom premium suite. We were 3 adults and my 10 year old son. There was plenty of room and privacy for all of us. The amenities in the room are all top notch, including a Bose sound system, flat screen tv's and cd/dvd players, and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The pool at the Harborside is real nice, the pool water was cold the first day we got there, but the large jacuzzi was very warm and welcoming! After full days on the beach and at the awesome water slides and pools at the Atlantis, it was nice for all of us to be able to come back to the suite and be able to make a pot of coffee, watch some movies or listen to some music while waiting for the other to get ready for dinner. Speaking of food, it can be very pricey to eat, especially the restaurants in Atlantis itself. Although the food was good at the buffets, I don't think it was worth the $180+ cost for the 4 of us. But, we found a really nice place to eat, Anthony's Caribbean Grill, a very short walk from the Harborside. The food was really good, with many choices on the menu and reasonably priced. We had a breakfast, lunch and dinner there and every meal was better than expected. All and all, if you've never been to the Bahamas, the Atlantis is the place to go and you will not be disappointed in the Harborside Resort. We took the promotional time-share tour for the $150, and wound up buying one! We can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed February 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Main Atlantis resort was superb - the facilities, pools, fish tanks etc. all fantastic.

My main gripes with The Harbourside are:-

Location, across the marina and we were told that we could use the lockers at the transit lounges to go swimming and leave cameras, valuables etc. Well we couldn't (only on day of arrival and departure). So to go swimming / on water slides and take pictures / videos - you can only take a disposable. Then back round the marina or a ride on the shuttle to get your things.

View, there were no direct beach / sea views from the rooms, some had marina or nassau harbour views but that is not the same.

Price, bearing in mind the location and view at Christmas it is ridiculously overpriced.

The above all said, the apartments were nice and very functional, but I wouldn't return to the harbourside, I would prefer to wait for the new all suite block which is being built (nice beach / sea views) right next to the main resort.

For couples I would definately recommend the One & Only Ocean Club.

The gourmet restaurants were great - especialy Dune for location and food, Fathoms location and food, Bahamian Club for food and Villa D'este for food. They are all extortiently priced though with cheques for 2 x adults and 1 x infant ranging from $230 to $350 !!!! That's without bottles of champagne which were priced at 3-4 times shop price and I don't mind paying double but that's daylight robbery. Down the road from Coral Towers, pink shops with 2 off licences / liquor stores - go to the one in the middle / off the main road, got 3 x Moet Rose for about £30 each !!!

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We returned today from our four-day, three-night vacation to Atlantis. We had a wonderful time and I wanted to thank those of you who posted comments about Atlantis and the Harborside Resort at Atlantis-- your comments were a great resource for us as we planned our trip. I am writing in case something about our trip could be helpful to those of you planning to come to Atlantis soon. I will attempt to be fairly detailed for those of you who, like me, find details helpful.

CHOOSING THE HARBORSIDE

We chose the Harborside Resort after initially making reservations at the Comfort Suites right outside Atlantis. We knew we wanted to spend our time at Atlantis, but we weren't willing to spend $3-500 for a room. After booking a room at the Comfort Inn (which I had some reservations about, given the number of negative reviews on this site), my husband and I saw an online ad for $499 for three nights at Atlantis. We called just to check out the deal and found out that it was $499 per person (as we suspected) and, just as I was about to hang up the phone, the agent said that they had a different special going on where you could stay in a one-room suite at the Harborside, which is part of Atlantis, for three nights-- round-trip airport transfers included (over a $50 value) and taxes (between 12-15%)/maid fees ($4/person/day)/energy charges ($4/person/day) included-- for only $701. When she described the room and I did the math, I realized that the Harborside would actually be a better deal than the best rate at the Comfort Suites.

ARRIVAL/ATLANTIS (THE MAIN RESORT)

When we arrived at the resort, our room wasn't quite ready (we arrived before the 4pm check-in time) so we left our bags with a bellman, who took them up to our room when it was ready. We headed immediately to the main part of the resort, which completely blew us away. We travel fairly frequently and have stayed at some neat places, but nothing really prepared us for Atlantis. In a word, Atlantis is spectacular. My description could never do it justice and I only wish that I had pictures to attach.

FOOD

We were starving, so when we'd gawked at the fish for long enough, we plopped down on some beach chairs by the lagoon and ordered lunch (cracked conch). The food was good, but I can't give the poolside food the same rave reviews that I'd give other aspects of the resort. It certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything to go on and on about. Even though I can't give the food high marks, I agree with other reviewers who said that the cheapest place to eat pool-side is the little hamburger bar that's right by the waterslides. On our second day we ate there and ordered the combo deal with two cheeseburgers, two fries, and two cokes for under $15. Not a bad price for pool food, particularly considering the free refills at the soda fountain!

Our one dinner at the resort was at the Atlas Grill in the casino and I would give it very low marks. My "Thai Beef Salad" consisted of cold slices of fatty beef on top of shredded iceberg lettuce-- a far cry from the description on the menu. We also went to the Poop Deck (next door to Bahamas Divers) for lunch. The view is pretty and the hamburgers were good, although nothing to write home about.

Note that whenever you eat in the Bahamas, you should check your bill to see if a 15% service charge has been added "for your convenience." Chances are, it's on there... even if your waitress/waiter was surly and your food takes 25 minutes to come to the table.

POOL/WATER SLIDES

One of the things I appreciated about the pool area was that, even though they take hoardes of non-guests on tours of some areas, they don't let them traipse through the areas where you're laying out. Furthermore, I think I've seen more lax security in some airports than they have at the Atlantis pool area. You CANNOT get to the pool without your room key, nor can you get towels without it. As long as you remember your key, you'll appreciate that aspect because you won't have to fight a non-guest for a lounge chair and you don't have anyone asking you if you want to buy a sarong or have them braid your hair.

I don't recall any reviewers talking about the water slides at Atlantis, so I'll just mention that they're terrific. My husband rode all of them over and over like a little kid, and I thought they were a blast, too. My favorite was the slide where you ride an inner tube down the slide and shoot right through the shark tank (don't worry-- you're inside a plexiglas tunnel). It was very, very cool!

OUR ROOM AT THE HARBORSIDE

After we'd had enough sun, we walked back to the Harborside. The walk between the main resort and the Harborside takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on whether you stop to grab some ice cream or check out the stores. When we got to our room, we were thrilled. Our room was actually a suite, with a full kitchen (small oven, full-size fridge/freezer/ice maker, dishwasher, microwave, blender, etc), a dining room, living room, washer/dryer (BYO detergent), king-sized bed and a jetted garden bath tub. Our room also had a neat view of the multi-million dollar luxury yachts docked in the marina situated in between Harborside and the main resort. The room looked EXACTLY like the pictures on the Atlantis website, so check that out if you're wondering how it will look. All in all, it appeared nearly brand new and was very clean. We also were extrordinarily pleased with the service at the front desk-- they seemed happy to help at all times.

ACTIVITIES

We were there for a short time, so we only had time for a 2-tank dive and a jet ski rental. We dove with Bahamas Divers because they were much closer to the hotel than Stuart Cove's and we didn't want to lose the 2+ hours that it would take to drive back and forth to Stuart Cove's. The dive was pretty, but I would just call your attention to the fact that the price they quote you does not include a snorkel and fins or a wet suit, which are essential to the operation. If you're doing multiple dives and can bring your own equipment, I would recommend it.

We also rented a jet ski on the beach. When they initially approached us they wanted $60 for a half hour... with hardly any bargaining they brought the price down $10.

CHECKING OUT/AIRPORT

The checkout time at the Harborside is 10 am. There is a $150 fee for late check-outs, but ask to use the "Transit Lounge," which is a facility at the main resort where you can store a small bag with clothing and toiletries after check-out, then shower and change before you leave for the airport. Towels, shampoo, conditioner, and liquid soap are supplied, as is a hair dryer. They even have a machine that dries your swimsuit for you.

Allot roughly one hour to get to and from the airport. We arrived on a Saturday and departed on a Tuesday and the air port was not terribly crowded. You should absolutely, positively NOT wait to eat at the airport, nor should you plan to buy a magazine or book while you're waiting for your flight. The food was poor and the prices for books/magazines/souveniers were laughable. For example, a souvenier rum cake on Paradise Island was $3.75; at the airport it was nearly twice as much. Two small bars of soap, each smaller than a deck of playing cards, was $9.75.

SUMMARY

In sum, we would give the highest rating to the Harborside Resort as well as Paradise Island in general. We spent no time at all in Nassau, not only because we had a short time on the island but also because it frankly wasn't very appealing. Our rating takes into account the fact that no vacation, and no resort, can be 100% perfect, but the Harborside came as close as possible for our purposes. If a room is not available at the Harborside and you are deterred by the cost of a room at the main resort, I recommend looking into the Comfort Suites. The access to Atlantis will make it worth every penny.

Enjoy your trip!

48 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St Augusitne, FL
Reviewed January 23, 2006

I just spent a long weekend with my husband at Harborside Resort. We had a great time! The resort is actually a timeshare (5 star Sheraton). We went on the "timeshare tour" and were given two $75 vouchers to use at Atlantis or to cover any incidentals at check-out. Not bad for a 90 min of your time.

Our room was the smallest one bedroom available. It had a handicap bathroom (walk in shower, no tub), but we didn't care. They offered to switch us when I asked about it. The kitchen was stocked with everything you would need for a short trip. It had a two burner smooth top range, toaster, coffee maker, blender, can opener, pots and pans, dishes and bake ware. There was also a washer and dryer, iron and ironing board.

We didn't eat at the resort resturant, but did have drinks and watch the sunset- great view (on harbor)! The pool is large with a zero entry end. It was never as crowded as the Atlantis pools. There was a seperate kiddie pool. Also, Atlantis did not have any working hot tubs when we were there (Jan 19-22), but Harborsides was working.

The shuttle transportation to Atlantis was very easy. There are two shuttles, one to the Beach/Coral Towers and one the the Royal Towers. They run every 10 min or so. To walk to the Royal Towers/casino takes about 10 min. the beach is about 15 min.

If we go back to Atlantis, we will take our kids next time and stay at Harborside again.

19 Thank amw1998
Reviewed January 23, 2006

Beautiful Location. Clean and well groomed resort. Family oriented. Something for absolutely everyone. Friendly people. Expensive, but you can go on a somewhat limited budget also.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tampa, Fl
Reviewed January 17, 2006

We love going to Atlantis, Paradise Island. I have been to Club Med before and it is not comparison. We have been for weddings and leisure and there is plenty to do. The amazing pools, slides and beach, fantastic service, great gambling and the nightlife makes you not want to be anywhere else in Nassau or Paradise Island!

4 Thank stephp6
Reviewed January 15, 2006

We just returned from a week at Harborside. We had an awesome time!!!! We will definitely return. The rooms were large and very clean. It was great having the kitchen. My husband,myself, and our 8 year old went. We did the gourmet meal plan but wouldn't do it again. We felt obligated to eat a ton of food to get the most for our money and would have spent less if we had just paid for it on our own. We took 2 suitcases full of water,pop,snacks, mac and cheese, candy, crackers and had them for lunch everyday. We ate out every breakfast and dinner. The Marketplace was awful, the food was cold. Water's Edge was ok. Seagrapes was the best for breakfast. Dinner at The Cafe of the Great Hall of Waters was not very good. Carmines was ok and had a ton of food but no kids menu. If you are on the meal plan you can still get an appetizer, dinner, and dessert there each even though they try to talk you out of it because it is so much food. We took the leftovers back to the room and had them for lunch. The Dunes was very good and beautiful view outdoors overlooking the ocean. Fathoms was very good also and had great service. By the end of the week we all were sick of fancy food and ate at Seagrapes the last 2 nights for their buffet. They have a great magician and clowns for the kids on the weekends. My son and us loved the magician, he had us cracking up!!!!. The water was nasty there and the pop had an aftertaste. The pool at Harborside was never busy and it was huge and very clean. We lived in the pool. The waterslides were fun and we did the one with the slide through the sharks a billion times. The beaches were beautiful and we never had any problems getting chairs. We went through the aquariums at least 5 times. My son did the discovery camp one morning and didn't like it so he didnt go back. We also did the timeshare meeting and earned $150 to put towards the gratuity on our bill. It was worth an hour of our time for that. We also took the ferry to nassau and did the straw market. It was fun and you learned a lot of bahamian history along the way. My husband and son did the dolphin swim and had a ball. It was the best part of the trip for my son. It was really neat to watch. They charge a ton for pictures but if you get the right photographer they will bargain prices with you. The entire staff was very helpful throughout our stay and did their best to make it wonderful. We took a taxi to and from the airport and it cost 31$. The shuttles run all the time between the towers and we were glad we were at Harborside as it was much more laid back. If you go across the street from the Marina village you can get souveniors much cheaper. I hope all this info. helps. Feel free to email me with questions. Put Harborside in your title so I will know they aren't junk mail.

51 Thank melhen95