“Great Week at Harborside - Something for Everyone!”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Carlsbad, CA
“Great Week at Harborside - Something for Everyone!”
Reviewed December 19, 2005

We just returned from a week at Harborside. We were extremely happy with the experience, and highly recommend staying at Harborside instead of a hotel room in Atlantis. We rented a 1-bedroom lockoff, which is a premium 1 bedroom plus an adjacent 1 bedroom unit, for our family of 4 plus my mother-in-law. The unit exceeded our expectations! We had a large (1400+ sq. ft), corner unit with a view of the harbor. It was clean and well-furnished, with jacuzzi tubs, Kitchenaid appliances, and all of the pots/pans and utensils you might need.

A few things are not included, however, so you may want to bring them with you if you can't live without them. There are no coffee filters in the room (we used paper towels, worked fine), no salt/pepper, no oil/cooking spray, and no laundry detergent. They do supply a few tablets of dishwasher detergent, which we found sufficient to run a load of dishes once every 1-2 days. We purchased milk, butter and eggs in the store inside Harborside. There is also a small store in the same shopping center as Zio Gigi.

We only took the shuttle a couple of times - it is an easy 10 minute walk via the Marina Village to Atlantis. We ate breakfast in our room every morning and then ate out for lunch and/or dinner. We ate at the Marketplace buffet, Waters Edge seafood buffet, Carmine's, Anthony's, Bimini Grill, Murray's, and Zio Gigi. To be honest, none of the meals were outstanding, and all were expensive. They were all good, but nothing memorable. The buffets were overpriced for the quality of the food, and I would skip them unless you are a big eater or can't live without peel and eat shrimp. Marketplace was far better than Waters Edge. Since we had a kitchen, we often ate half our meal at the restaurant and saved the other half for another meal. Zio Gigi was the only restaurant we returned to - the pizza was very good. We paid $80-100 for 3 adults and 2 kids at each meal, with the exception of the buffets ($45 per adult, $16 per child, half that for lunch). This is not including alcohol or dessert.

We found the service at the restaurants and everywhere in Atlantis to be excellent - friendly and helpful. We encountered not one rude employee.

Our kids (ages 6 and 7 1/2) tried the Discovery Kids Club and loved it. Jet-skiing is a good value - we paid $40 for a half hour - and it was fun, especially when the surf was a little rough. We had great weather and enjoyed the beach and pools every day. One day we went to the straw market for shopping. There are many vendors there, mostly selling the same things - straw bags, t-shirts, and designer bag rip-offs. There were a few vendors selling more unique items - but you had to search for them. We went to the Atlantis Theater and saw a few movies, which we never seem to have time to do at home. We also lost quite a bit of money in the casino :(

One bummer - we left about $100 worth of stuff in our room in a cabinet we forgot to clear out - tennis rackets, robes, etc. and Harborside refused to send it back to us without a Fedex number. We called Fedex and it would be over $100 to send... wish they would be more flexible on this.

In a word -- if you want a relaxing beach vacation with something for everyone - go! You will have a great time! Just make sure to check all the cabinets before you close your suitcases!

• Stayed December 2005
35 Thank morgueman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Polish first
Carmel, NY
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My husband and I stayed in Harborside during Thanksgiving week '05. We loved our villa - large and comfortable with every amenity including washer and dryer. A shuttle is available to a fully stocked grocery store. The marina at Harborside is an attraction in itself. Atlantis is fantastic - as in pure fantasy. Everyone was friendly and helpful. There's a lot of walking so wear comfortable shoes and enjoy it as much as we did.

20 Thank MaryAlice10512
New York, NY
Reviewed November 27, 2005

The Atlantis is the cheesiest hotel I have ever stayed at. It felt as if they exported the worst parts of America to a once pristine strip of oceanfront property. Workers there were openly rude, especially since tip is already included in all services. If you buy a candy bar at the snack stand, be prepared to pay 15% on it. The property in itself is rundown. Water tanks were crusted in crustacean filth and hotel property looks as if it has not been updated since it was built. The beach, which is the best feature of this hotel, is packed and dirty like Jones Beach. It is also tacky. The whole Atlantis storyline is less of a fairytale and more of an infomercial for the hotel's products. Not only that, but the food was horrendous. It was New York 3-star restaurant prices for food that my local diner would be embarrassed to serve. It is difficult to get basics wrong, but Atlantis was very good at it. I asked for Belvedere on the rocks, and I'm telling you that it was nothing close to it. When I pay $100 per person for 2 courses, I expect something that does not look as if it was just microwaved in the back kitchen. Atlantis is a tourist trap. If you decide to fall in, I suggest that you eat $6 sandwiches at the newly opened Starbucks and have free drinks in the Casino. Or, you will leave with an empty wallet and a bad taste in your mouth.

• Stayed August 2005
15 Thank DX2010
Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Just returned from Harborside. Me, my wife and two children, ages 6 and 8, spent seven nights over Thanksgiving. We stayed in a two bedroom, which was very clean. Actually arrived at 10 AM, and despite having 4 PM listed as the check-in time, our room was ready right away. Bell service had our bags in the room in 10 minutes. The shuttle service to and from Atlantis was great...never waited more that 10 minutes, and the walk along the Marina between Atlantis and Harborside only takes about 10 minutes. The shuttle drivers were great to the kids and by mid-week they knew all of our names. We got the American meal plan which was $67 per day per adult and $30 for each child, and I'm not sure if it was worth it or not...we probably would have taken advantage of the kitchen in the room if we didn't get the plan. I do know we felt like we had to eat and as a result I don't want to see another buffet for a while. Kids loved the Seagrapes Buffet located in the Beach Tower...at dinner they had clowns, magicians and a lot of great people who really took care of the kids...pretty good food variety as well. Discovery Channel Kids Camp was fun for the kids. They participated three mornings and seemed to really enjoy ($35 per kid for 3 hours). Only negative was how crowded the pool was at the Royal Towers...I saw two fights/arguments over beach chairs. If you want laid back, the Beach Towers pool is much better, but you still need to get there by 9 AM to save a chair. The workers were the nicest most polite people you could ever imagine....from the waiters to the lifeguards, everyone wanted to help. Great place.....we'll go back!

• Stayed November 2005
28 Thank bucs14
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 25, 2005

Stayed there over Thanksgiving week. Rooms have a nice layout, very clean/modern, and closer to the main part of Atlantis (about 3 blocks walking distance) than other reviews suggest.

Nice pool area, very quiet. Ate at the restaurant by the pool... simple food, but same quality as rest of Atlantis resort at lower prices.

Only gripe is that the water went out for a few hours. Don't enjoy paying $200/night for a hotel room without running water.

Avoid the ferry to Nassau: slow, hot, dirty, and you'll be harassed by a "tour guide" who aggressively demands tips at the end. (It's not run by the Atlantis resort.) A taxi is a better bet.

Overall, Atlantis is a good place for a few days, but probably not enough to do for a week. If you are thinking of a longer vacation, go to Hawaii or Aruba.

Another note: Paradise Island is near the "bad" side of the island (i.e. the ghetto is across the bridge.) Cable Beach is on the "good" side among luxury mansions. I didn't check out any hotels there, but would probably try Cable Beach if I go back to Nassau.

Stayed November 2005
17 Thank 77Man
Ashburn VA
Reviewed November 9, 2005

My husband, son (2 years old), mother-in-law and I stayed at the Harborside from 10/29-11/4. We are Starwood timeshare owners elswhere and used StarOptions for our week at Atlantis. I must say that I can't quite give the whole experience as positive a review as many of the other posters. Atlantis itself is amazing and the main resort and facility are just spectacular. We were there during the bad weather mentioned in another review (first four days were overcast with very high winds-some trees uprooted)and do not agree that there was plenty to do indoors--especially not with a toddler. The Aquarium and Dig were great, but other than the casino, there was nothing else to do indoors but roam the shops that were too "Rodeo Drive" to really provide any actual shopping opportunites. Overall, I found the attitude of the staff to be less than average. The front desk staff and concierge (although helpful) were not warm and welcoming and somewhat "robot" like. Our arrival was very poor. We arrived 1pm, 3 hours prior to check in at 4pm, and were told to leave our bags with the bellman and go get lunch and check back at 3pm. We took our bags out front and the bellman said "I'll take them." But he didn't give us a claim ticket or in any way affiliate our bags with our check in. As a seasoned traveler I refused this and asked him what my name was and how he was going to know what to do with my bags. He looked confused, at which point a desk clerk came running out front shouting my last name at him and telling me not to worry. I questioned her about this again and she told him my name again and told him to hold my bags. I was never offered a claim ticket and off went my bags. We then went to the pool bar (very excellent service by exceptional waitress Lynette). At 3pm we checked with the desk and were given our room key. Over two hours later, despite two calls, we still did not have our bags. I called again. I was asked what my bags looked like and that they would be right up. After another half hour, I finally walked to the check in building and met a bellman (a different one) on the way with our bags. He apologized and said that the bags were in the back of storage with no tags and no name, so no one knew anyone was waiting for them. ARGGHHHH! Good lesson-trust your gut and get a claim ticket. Also called them after checking in because our room safe was not open and it took three calls and THREE days for them to come open it. Food at the resort was expensive, but we expected that. It was also excellent. Buffets were very good and meal at Fathoms was very good also. Have no food complaints. Bimini Road was fun, too. I took the daily grocery shuttle ($7 round trip and very efficient) to the store and we stocked up on breakfast, snacks and water for the week. We ate lunch and dinner at Atlantis every day except one lunch in town and spent about $1600 on food and drinks. Be prepared!! Both my husband and I booked packages at the Mandara Spa and were not at all impressed. He found it to be average and I found it to be far below average. For the price (over $400 with tip) it should have been excellent. Only one working shower in the women's lounge, unfriendly front desk staff (very snobbish), mumbling and disorganized lounge staff (only smiled at me AFTER I complimented her on something), a very unfriendly and bossy therapist who made me feel like she was chastising me versus relaxing me, etc. Good pedicure--but you can get that anywhere. One nice clerk-Avala-was friendly and helpful. Just say no to the spa. For a facility as impressive as Atlantis is, they could and should at a large heated pool or two for crummy days. At least heat the little kids pool because there is nothing else for kids under three to do--nothing. They could also consider adding an indoor play area.
We don't think we'll return. We found the general attitude of the Bahamians to be somewhat unfriendly and disdainful and enjoy visiting places where we are more welcomed such as the US Virgin Islands.
Overall, it was an average resort experience for us but worth doing once just to see the amazing place.

• Stayed October 2005
33 Thank t8ergirl
Long Island, NY
Reviewed November 6, 2005

My family and I just returned from a week long stay at harborside and it was fantastic!!! We arrived on 10/30 at 11am and our room was ready. We had a 2 bedroom villa and it was perfect. We traveled with our 3 teenage daughters and they loved the Atlantis pools and activities. We purchased food at the city market on monday and it lasted us all week. We ate breakfast in the villa every morning and lunch and dinner out. We found lunch to be quite reasonable!!! All the staff could not be friendlier.....We are already planning are trip back next year.. A few helpful hints leave yourself plent of time for your return trip to the airport we left 2 hours before our flight and barely made it. The airport is only 20 minutes away but the check in system is horrible.
Anthonys restaurant across from the Atlantis is real good the owner is a nice man who checks on you many times during your meal and the food is good and reasonable!! I dont know how people can constantly complain about ths Atlantis it was a terrific family vacation and I cant wait to get back there!!

• Stayed November 2005