“Just as wonderful the second time around!”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
“Just as wonderful the second time around!”
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The Harborside is a timeshare resort within the Starwoods Network that can be rented by non-owners. Yes, this resort has a pool, a gym and a restaurant on site. But what makes this resort a WINNER is its proximity to Atlantis and the fact that all guests have full privileges at Atlantis. I love being able to partake in all that Atlantis has to offer and then retire to these quiet, spacious villas at the end of the day. For those who like to walk, Atlantis is less than 5-10 minutes away. Most guests, however, will take advantage of the convenient shuttles that leave every 10 minutes or so.

When booking your room, it helps to know that the resort was built in two phases. The phase 1 villas are decorated in a vivid, blue tropical scheme but are starting to show their age. They will all be refurbished starting some time in 2010. The phase 2 villas are decorated in muted earth tones and have flat screen TVs. Photos of both and floor plans are available on H---------m.

You will not get assigned to a specific villa until you arrive but your day of check in will decide what buildings you may be assigned to. The list below will let you know what buildings are phase 1 or 2 and what views the building has. When you look at an Atlantis Map, the building immediately above the words Harborside Resort is building 7. Continuing counter-clockwise to building 1, then 2, then 5, then 6, then 3. Building 4 is in the middle.

Bldg 7 (saturday check in,marina view, phase one)
Bldg 1 (sunday, marina, phase one)
Bldg 2 (friday,pool,phase one)
Bldg 5(saturday, pool/harbour/gardens, phase two)
Bldg 6 (friday, gardens/harbour, phase two)
Bldg 3 (saturday,gardens, phase two)
Bldg 4( sunday, gardens, phase two).

Check-in is at 4pm. If you will be arriving before then, pack your swimsuits in your carry-on bag. Once you've checked in, you can have lunch by the pool, change into your suits and have a relaxing swim while you wait. The bellman will keep your bags and deliver them to your room when it becomes available.

The kitchens are stocked with pots, dishes, etc. A bus leaves daily at 10 o'clock (8 on Sundays) to take you across the bridge to a Nassau grocery store. I think the fee is $7 a person. A convenience store is in the shopping center across the street and a sundry shop is off the lobby for small items like milk, eggs, bread, coffee.

One downside is that the timeshare folks are everywhere. The concierge is really a front woman to get you booked into a timeshare talk. She will offer you a free dinner ($150 value) if you go but keep in mind both husband and wife must be there to get the free gift. Your kids will be given something to color while they wait for you. They say it will take about an hour but it will take a little longer.

This was our second time visiting the Harborside Resort at Atlantis and I would not hesitate to stay here again. If you are interested in some tips that I've picked up along the way, keep reading.

Tip #1: Take a taxi from the airport instead of the ground transportation that Atlantis arranges for you. Taxis are abundant and most are minivans that can easily accommodate a family and their luggage. The cost is $32 for the first two passenger and $3 for each additional passenger. Atlantis, along with many other hotels and resorts in Nassau, contracts with Dan Knowles Tours. You'll have to wait in line at the airport while they verify your paper work, you'll have to wait for them to fill a bus, and then you have to drive around the island dropping off passengers at various hotels.

Tip #2: Don't overpack. You will spend 80% of your time in your bathing suit. A cover-up is necessary. Water shoes are really nice to have.

Tip #3: Make some decisions about meals before you go. The gourmet dining plan is $99 per adult per day and $50 per child per day. The casual dining plan is $69 and $35. These prices don't include the mandatory 15% gratuity and some items on the menu will not be covered.

Without a meal plan (in 2007), breakfast in one buffet restaruant cost $19.50 for an adult and $11.00 for a child. Dinner at the Marketplace (buffet restaurant) cost $124.20 in 2009 for two adults and a child. Dinner in a casual restaurant for two adults, no alcohol, costs us around $120. Dinner in a gourmet restuarant for two adults, with alcohol, cost us around $250.

Food is an area where you can save a good bit of money. We froze everything we would need for breakfast (bacon, pancakes, juice,etc) and brought it with us in a soft-sided cooler within our luggage. We bought eggs and milk in the sundry shop on site . It was nice to have a big, relaxing breakfast in the room before we set out for the day. Our next meal was typically eaten at a poolside restaurant later in the day. For a family of three the cost was typically around $35. For dinner we tried as many of Atlantis' restaurants as we could.

If you do plan on going to one of the gourmet restaurants, don't forget that you can't where shorts. You will need long pants (not jeans) and shoes (not tennis shoes). Cafe Martinique suggests a jacket.

Tip #4: Shuttle buses are available to take you from Harborside to either the Beach, Coral, Royal or Cove towers. Once on property there is a different shuttle bus that takes you between the Beach, Coral, Royal, Cove, One and Only Club and Golf Course. For families with babies or toddlers, bring an umbrella stroller. The bigger ones are difficult to get on and off the shuttle bus.

Tip #5: You must be 48" to ride the signature slides. They enforce this. There are some smaller but fun slides around the Mayan Temple pool and the Goombay slide near the
lazy river for those adventurous kids just short of the height cut-off. For the little ones, there are great slides at Splashers kid pool and some little ones at Ripples.

Tip #6: The Harborside, River, Mayan Temple and Baths pool are zero depth at one end. The Lagoon pool is 4 ft. The Royal Baths Pool starts is 3ft. Atlantis beach is the most convenient one to run back for food and drinks and is near the River Pool. The Cove Beach is quiet and can be entered near the Baths Pool. The Paradise Beach, Cascades Pool and Cain Pool are only available to residents of the Cove and the Reefs.

Pools close at 7pm. The Harborside has a huge hot tub and an infant 2ft pool. Hot tubs are located near the Lazy river and at the Mayan Temple.

Tip #7: Bring enough sunscreen for a week. Sunscreen costs over $20 at the resort. Some empty water bottles are nice to bring too. Bottled water can also add up.

Tip #8: Only those with AT&T will have cell phone service here. Walkie talkies are a nice way to keep in touch.

Tip #9: The Pirate Museum in Nassau is nice but I wouldn't make a special trip in just to see it.

Tip #10: Pick up the Daily Atlantean each evening for the next day. It is a newsletter containing the daily activities. There are some cute activities for kids and adults alike. Movies are free but snacks will cost you. The comedy club offers family shows.

Tip #11: The Earth & Fire Pottery Studio has pieces that you can buy to paint. Each color must be applied three times and dried in between before the piece is fired. You then pick it up the next day. The cheapest piece cost around $15 -$20. There is now an Atlantis Pal Shop, think Build a Bear Workshop.

Tip #12: Get your bands and towels at the Harborside pool before you go to Atlantis. You will avoid long lines. Don't be shy about moving towels. Most people just leave their towels on the chair when they leave the area instead of putting them up in the towel bins.

Tip #13: The kid's club (ages 3-12) is expensive but worth the splurge. My son loved it and it allowed my husband and me to try out some of the gourmet restaurants and evening activities. The morning session is available Monday to Saturday from 9 am till noon and costs $40 a child. The afternoon session is from 1pm to 5 pm and costs $45. A full day including lunch is $90. The evening activities are for kids 3 to 12 and are available Wednesday to Saturday. This costs $60 for 6pm till 10pm. Dinner is not included but snack food that fits the theme is. The themes are Willy Wonka wednesday, Buccaneer's Bash thursday, Candy carnival friday, Pizza and coketail saturday. Baby sitting costs $20 an hour. Everything has to be pre-arranged. Don't forget to bring your child's passport or other id. Will need it to register them and pick them up. You can view the facilities around noon each day when the children are not in the facility.

Tip #14: Club Rush is open from 4pm -7 pm for 6-12 year olds. 13-17 year olds use the same facility after 8pm. The charge is $15. This allows the kids to mix and mingle, watch movies, play Play Stations, XBoxes, etc. Again, don't forget an ID for verification of the child's age.

Tip #15: To use Gamer's reef you must buy a card. The cheapest one is $20. The games are around $2 or so.

Tip #16: Atlantis speedway is so fun! $75 to build a car to keep. $20 for 12 races. If you don't build your own car, you can use theirs. There is a Nascar Race Track, a separate Monster Race Track and Wii Racing.

Tip #17: 15 minutes of free internet per adult is available at the Library (Coral Tower). Internet hot spots are available for free throughout the resort.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
23 Thank synewton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Just a quick review to say that we stayed in building 4 from May 31 to June 7th and had a great time. We are a young family of 4, kids are 18 months old and 3 1/2 and this was our 3rd trip to Harborside at Atlantis.
The weather was nice. My daughter enjoyed the kid's splasher pool and my son could not get enough of the big aquarium. There is definitely sometime for everyone at Atlantis. Our walk from the Harborside to the Mayan Temple (where the splasher pool is) was about 15 minutes but was still very enjoyable as we stopped every morning by the Jamba Juice shop to pick up some drinks.
We ate lunch everyday by the pool and spend about 45$, which is not too bad. We went to Carmine's, Marketplace and Mosaic for dinner and found that Mosaic was the nicest. It is slightly more expansive, but the staff is more attentive.
Have a great vacation!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Redempteur
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We used star options to excange to Harborside and booked it the first day we could 8 months ago. We invited our son (26yo), dil (26yo), son (24 yo) and youngest son (recent college graduate) (22 yo) and his gf (20 yo) to join us. My youngest has a job starting in June and it would be some time before he would be able to go on any vacation. We couldn't have been happier that ALL could come since we hadn't all been together for a vacation in about 7 years. My son and dil live in the Chicago area and were not able to come home this past year for the holidays so while we have visited them all the siblings hadn't seen each other for a year. To have them all together for a week was going to be fantastic!! Reading all about the costs we decided we needed to so some budgeting. After reading about bringing a lot of your own food you could really save some bucks - everyone was on board with the idea.

So I planned simple meals that would be easy to prepare and use simple ingredients so it would not take too long or seem too much of a burden. We order pizza on Saturday night after we arrived. We ordered from Domininos.........I didn't think it was too bad.........6 medium pizza's for $36 ..........we ended up with a pizza and a half left over which ended up as good appitizers/snacks as the week progressed.

We were fortuate because of my dh's traveling (premier gold status) that we didn't have to pay for any of our luggage. So we brought 4 pieces between the two of us. I had purchased a soft sided rolling cooler at Costco and packed it in our large suitcase and packed all the cereal/pringles/seasonings/mexican rice/etc. in this suitcase. I purchased from Costco a whole beef tenderloin(already trimmed, a large package of chicken breasts - two pounds of ground beef from Walmart - a couple of packages of Costso Deli meat - turkey and ham and a cheese tray from Costco too, froze a pound of butter and a couple of tub margarine. Froze all the meat - did not freeze the cheese. Wrapped all the meat in paper and then in plastic and loaded up the duffle bag.

We were never asked what was in our luggage and if we were bringing food into the Bahamas. We did get a porter to help us with the luggage and were not stopped and we were outside finding our taxi with no difficulty. We did use Fergies and they were waiting for us when we arrived. We stopped at the grocery store and I had a list of fresh fruits/veggies/milk/ water and soda - I was surprised after hearing all the complaints about prices at the store.........the hot dogs were only $3,50 a package...........yes, oreo were $6 but not everything was like that.

I made Chicken Fajitas/mexican rice/ pan fried steaks and baked potatoes/ spaghetti, salad and garlic rolls/ Hot Dogsand french fries/ Lemon Chicken and Rice/ Red Snapper (went down to market across the bridge and purchased the fresh snapper) with leftover rice and potaotes. We took drinks and lunchs to Atlantis everyday but once where everyone got burgers/fries which were only around $9. I made Tuna one day and egg salad another and we had the ham/turkey for the other days. The day we went to the Straw Market and into Nassau we ate a big lunch at the Fish Fry........we had a great meal at The Haven. We also went to Johhny Rockets for sundae's one evening after we went to the movies at Atlantis. Everyone pitched in with the cooking or clean up and it really didn't seem too bad. Actually I felt like there was a lot of doom and gloom over the food prices and yes at Atltantis the restaurants there are expensive but there were many alternatives right outside the door that you could have that were on par with Disney World which we have done for many years.

Everyone loved the slides/rapids at Atlantis. The pools are wonderful and you just feel transformed to be surronded by such beauty! The grounds at Atlantis were just magnificient! Waterfalls/fish/sharks/dolphins/everywhere you went something to explore. My sons gf and I did go to the earth and fire shop and make ourselves some momento's of our trip one rainy afternoon. Something I had never done before and I came away with a lovely plate that I can use and always remember our vacation. We went to the Casino one night for a little while. First we are not gamblers - it is hard for me and my dh to throw money we have worked hard for down a machine in hopes that we get lucky..........So when I lost $5 in three pushes of a button at a slot machine.......I was like OK..........that wasn't too much fun. One of my kids played roulette and won $23 and said he was quitting while ahead. I did find a keno machine which when we were in Arizona I enjoyed because it seemed like you got to do something and it took maybe 30 minutes to lose $5...........well, I didn't like the Keno machines they had here and it took about 20 min. to lose $10 - I hardly ever won anything. The Casino itself was not filled with people..........very dead..........

It rained quite a bit while we were there but it didn't really seem to bother us. The first day we went exploring The Dig and walked around in the rain. We ended up in the hot tub at Harborside in the rain.......... We caught an afternoon movie..........I had brought some cards/games and we would play and I bought the local Hopping around the Islands game I saw in a store. It was informative and fun. We ended up going to at least two movies in the evening. My middle son scuba dives and he took the shark dive at Stuarts Cove and loved it. The Harborside pool was wonderfully quiet and we enjoyed it after the rain as it was warm. A great place just to relax.

We were in a 3 bedroom lock-off. It was great. Clean. Yes the sofa looked a little tired but everything else was great. Some of the kitchen stuff was not there but what our unit didn't have the other unit had so it wasn't a problem.

The shops in Atlantis were nice and my son's purchased T shirts, I got a special pair of sandles. Bring lots of sunscreen because if you forget the cost at Atlantis is crazy expensive ($36) but if you go to Marina Village it is cheaper and if you go across the street to Paradise shops it's even cheaper yet. At Paradise Shops there is a small grocery store where we were able to replenish our water/bread/milk and any other things we forgot.

I have yet to total up the cost but I know it was a lot cheaper than it could have been. The most important thing for us was to have some time to enjoy being together as a family. As the family will be growning again next year and we add a grandchild to our group this was a perfect time to go to the Bahamas. My dh and I both commented on how a week really wasn't enough to do all that you could do and we will need to come back again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank MLindaG
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 6, 2009

This was our 2nd stay at Harborside. The facility has been consistently clean and well maintained. It is a Starwood vacation property that is only associated with the Atlantis - so you can use your options to stay at Harborside but you cannot use your hotel points to stay at Atlantis. But you have access to everything at Atlantis when you stay on the property. The units are well equipped TV, DVD, Stereo, washer/dryer, microwave, refrigerator, etc., and the kitchen is completely stocked with all necessary utensils. Internet is hardline only and is an additional charge. Access to the Atlantis is easy and convenient by shuttle buses that run regularly to all Towers or on foot, you can reach the Royal Towers in 5 minutes. There is a bus that leaves daily and takes you to a local market for supplies. Adjacent to the property is the ferry which cost $6 for round trip to downtown Nassau.
Atlantis is truly amazing. It is beautiful. There are enough activities to keep every one engaged: Casino, shopping, tubing on the Lazy River or tubing on mild rapids, watersides, an Aquarium called the Digs, a Turtle refuge, swimming with dolphins, jet skis, parasailing, fish and Manta Rays in the water throughout the property, night clubs and movies, etc. My daughter was even able to see a Mylie Cyrus concert while we were there! The only pool areas you don't have access to are the Cove and the Loft - but you can access there their bar and restaurant facilities. Some of these restaurants are world class and the buffets have good food and variety.
When we just wanted to just chill, the pool and hot tub at Harborside are nice and their restaurant, The Point, served good food. Snacks are available poolside.
Nothing is cheap - especially at Atlantis! On this occasion we were attending a destination wedding and most family and friends stayed in the Royal Towers at Atlantis. Everyone was impressed and had a great time. From teenagers to people in their 80's, I never heard a complaint. We organized a city tour by bus with a guide, golf at the Ocean Club, and a Sport Fishing outing where our catch was cleaned prepared and served at a local restaurant called the Poop Deck. Atlantis has something for everyone - but again, it's not cheap!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank mxgriffin
Lexington, SC
Reviewed May 30, 2009

My wife and I just got back from a week at Harborside - May 17-24. Rained all week but we made the most of it. Just like lots of you reading this, my wife and I read every review before we went and found some great info. Some of the stuff I will talk about others have written before, but I also have new things to add. I will say that you have the best of both worlds staying at Harborside. It’s quiet; you have your own pool and a room to cook in if you like. The Coral and Beach Towers seem nice but are loud, busy and crammed with people. The Royal tower loby is always busy, but I assume the rooms are very nice and quite. With a simple wrist band you can take advantage of all the activities/fun, but come home to a nice, relaxing place to chill when you are ready. I have lots to talk but will break it out into sections:

Rooms: This was our first trip to any of the Atlantis properties. We are Starwood owners and traded in for the week. Something to note if you want a room with a nice view: Check in on Friday as early as you can. I did not see any of the other reviews talk about check in days but Sunday is NOT the best day. They have assigned buildings for the 3 check-in days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). We got stuck in Building 4 with a view of another building. The room was great, but not so much the view. I would also suggest calling the week before you get there and ask for the building/type of view you want. There are several buildings with views of the Royal Towers and others with views of the pool and harbor.

Groceries: If you do happen to check in on Sunday, most everything on the Island closes at 2:00 so you will have to wait until Monday. Most of the cab drivers will stop by the grocery store and liquor store if you ask and pay extra. Standard fare from the airport is $32 + $1 toll for the bridge. The property does run a shuttle every day at 10:00 AM to the store. It s fairly large store with most everything you need and a liquor store is across the street. We got food for breakfast, snacks, water, lunch meet, bread and beer. We actually got too much food and left some behind. We did pack some stuff like salt and pepper, cereal, olive oil and bagels. The groceries are more then what we pay in the state, but still not too bad. Beer is very expensive, but liquor is not. You can spend as much or as little as you want.

Local Restaurants: Other than Mesa Grill (A must do for everyone, awesome food and people – Julian the bartender)and Bimini Road (at the marina village – ok food and drink prices compared to other places) we ate local the entire trip. Great food, much better prices and the people are great to talk with. My wife and I like to sit at the bar and eat, strike up conversation with the bartenders and people around us. It’s the best way to get local intel and get a real since of the culture. The Green Parrot is a must do. Is a short walk from the resort and right on the harbor. The two bartenders Santi and Richie are the best. They joke around all the time and make seriously strong drinks. Happy Hour every day from 4-7 and everything is $3.50 – beer and liquor drinks with one liquor. Large portions of food (split if you don’t eat a lot). Be sure to try the works burger – you’ll thank me later. Also eat at Poop Deck – free Conch fritters during happy hour. Had the Grouper and it was good. About all local dishes come with peas and rice (local staple, a bit like black-eye peas and rice in the south) – very good. Of course Arawak Cay or as the locals call it “The Fish Fry”. Cheap drinks and great food. More peas and rice, great Mac and Cheese, Cracked Conch, Conch salad, etc. Twin Brothers was the best. Also eat at Goldies and Big 10. Get a strawberry/banana daiquiri from Twin Brothers with Rum. The best $7 you will spend all week.

On resort food and Drinks: We did eat and drink at Atlas Bar and Grill in the casino. Big burger with fries about $14 and the beers are %6.25. Beach bar is a must for drinks – great view of the ocean.

Walking vs shuttles: We read lots of people complaining about the shuttles, but the most we every waited was 5-7 minutes. If you are heading to the Coral or beach towers it’s an easy 7 minutes walk along the street, or 15 minutes though the marina (do this at least once to see the HUGE ships). You can walk down to the straw market where the cruise ship come in (about 30 minutes) or take the ferry boat (under the bridge) for $3 per person each way. You can then take the #10 bus to the Fish Fry for $1.25 per person each way or make the 15 minute walk down West Bay Street.

The people and service: We also read some complaints about the people and service. Let me say that every local person we ran into, spoke with, had serve us, drove us around, sold us something, you name it was very appreciative of us being there and was extremely nice. The service everywhere was prompt and courteous. The only exception is at the Fish Fry. Things are slow and your order may not be right the first time, but hey, it’s cheap and you’re on vacation. All the Atlantis folks are spot on with everything they do.

Activities: We had several excursions planned (Dolphin Encounters and the Power Boat Adventure) but they were canceled. We had rain every day on the trip but made the most of it. We were able to do all the water activities at all the towers (slides, the lazy river, the current, all the tunnels and aquariums, the dig, etc.) They are all musts while you there. We did the straw market (crazy while the ships are in port), Senior Frogs (lots of free shots when the place is full), Dragons (a dance place in the casino they gets started about 10), & Aura night club (similar to Pure in Vegas). If you like the club life and like to dance, it’s a ton of fun. Very expensive though - $8 beers, $20 cover charge for the guys. Only open Thursday –Sunday. The Dolphin Cay - Not sure if you are allowed to walk in and watch without being signed up but we did.

Money: Things are expensive about everywhere you turn, but it’s an Island were %80 of everything is imported. The local beer Kalik will range from $5 at Bimini Road to $6.25-$6.50 at the towers. On resort Bahama Mamas will run $21 for two. Hamburgers run about $14. Remember 15% gratuity is added to every check no matter where or what you get. Again you can spend as much or as little as you want depending on what you want to do.

Beach: If you are a beach person, head over to the Cove beach. Better beach, better views, lower surf and more room. Though it's all good no matter where you are.

Must do’s: All the slide and water fun, Green Parrot, The Fish Fry, Beach bar, Dragons, all the tunnels with the aquariums, the casino, the Dig.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Dclem67
LizGilmore58
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Atlantis has it all! From a not so lazy river to a large Vegas style casino.
We were originally put off by the rates on the Atlantis website. We weWe ended up booking through www.staytimeshare.com We booked an owners 1 bedroom unit and saved over $1,400. We travel a ton, and will certainly return to Harborside.

At Harborside you have access to all of the Atlantis attractions, however you can escape to the laid-back Harborside pool. The spacious units were plently big for us. The fully equipped kitchen was ideal so we could save money on meals.
Before traveling, we read that the food in Atlantis is insanely high. We found this to be partly true. We ate breakfast at the condo. The Power Tower Burger Combo Meal at all the pool food stands was plenty big for two people (Cheese Burger, Fries and fountain drink for $9).
Drinks at the pool bars are expensive about $12 each. You're welcome to bring a cooler with cans of beer or mixed drink from your condo to the pools. No one bothered us.

The beer is expensive even at the super market, $50 or so for a 24 pack. The booze was cheaper than back home at the liquor stores. A bottle of Absolulte that sells for $20 or so in the U.S. was just $14 on Paradise Island.

Great trip... awesome timeshare. will absolutely be back. We're bringing friends and family next time we return!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LizGilmore58
Orange, California
Reviewed May 15, 2009

I was able to exchange my timeshare into this resort. Besides the usual comments mentioned by other (free shuttle & access to the Atlantis resorts, full kitchen with W/D), I'll comment on other items not discussed.

Fortunately as an owner, I was spared of the miscellaneous charges like $9.50 per person per day utility fee, $8.25 per person per night mandatory maid gratuitiy (even though the maid comes only once during midweek), and a 12% resort tax on top of all this. For a party of 4, this could easily be $80/night. If you want to access the Internet during your tropical vacation, there's a $14/day fee.

The full kitchen does come in handy for a quick breakfast. Do bring your own coffee, pasta, dry food, etc. Groceries are outrageously expensive ($8 for box of cereal, $6 for 1/2 gallon milk, $2 for a yogurt, $6 for bottle of water).

Unfortunately, the Atlantis Resorts nickle & dime you for EVERYTHING. For example, there's a fee of ~$4/towel for beach towels at the Beach & Coral towers. Interestingly, The Cove (which is higher-end) does not have a beach towel fee. It's quieter and there's a beautiful, uncrowded reef where you can snorkel. The Beach tower side is adjacent to the Riu, which has tons of rich teens blowing off daddy's fortune & creating a spring break scene all year long. Vendors selling seashell jewelries, hats, & alcoholic drinks also raid the beach.

All food & beverages come with a mandatory 15% gratuity. This even applies to fast food places like Starbucks & Murray's Deli where they don't even serve you. So, unless you're at a high-end restaurant where they do pay attention to details, expect slow service or lack thereof at most places.

Many nice restaurants claim you need "resort elegance" attire for dinner. I was told by the waiters that this translates to nice cocktail dresses for ladies & dress shirt & slacks for men. Baloney! There were men with shorts & t-shirts and women with jeans and capris.

The straw market is nothing but a compact group of outdoor vendors all selling the same items (fake brand name handbags & souvenirs) under a white tent with a strong sewage stench.

Overall, imagine a combination of Las Vegas & Disneyworld's water park in the tropics. Expensive is an understatement, rip off is a more appropriate word. With all these excess charges, I think I left my arm & leg back there. The only thing free is the amazingly beautiful turqoise water with tropical fish that swim up to knee-deep waters.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends