“Excellent place to stay”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My family and I spent 5 days at this wonderful hotel in February 2014. The apartment style hotel was very spacious enough to sleep four people comfortably. There was some repairs being done to update the exterior of some of the buildings but didnt bother us. Best part is you get full access to all facilities in Atlantis. Nassau is right across the bridge if you want to ve nture out. Overall a great place to vacation.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Arvindnc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Polish first
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was my second stay at Harborside. My prior visit was 2 years ago and it was outstanding. This time, not so much. (Note - I am a Starwood 4-star elite owner and this is a Starwood affiliate property…but you can tell Atlantis rules the roost here and not Starwood).
1) Check In - I checked in on a Wednesday, so it wasn't busy at all. Don't tell them you have been there before or you will get NO information. They will assume you already know it all. They'll take your credit card, hand you a key and map and send you on your way. I missed 2 owners welcome parties because the front desk staff couldn't bother to tell me what was going on that week. I had to track down a bellhop. It seemed very understaffed all week. Don't expect anything extra as an elite owner!
2) The Rooms - Building 6, first floor 1778 & 1779. These rooms are right on the corner and abut the toll bridge booth (less than 100 ft away). Talk about noise! No one should be put in these rooms EVER…not just elite owners! Add the fact that the rooms were surrounded by scaffolding (repainting? never saw anyone working) and you can imagine how annoyed we were. rooms were average cleanliness except the patio (1779). It was covered in dust, construction dust, and bird droppings, making it unusable. Avoid building 6 if you can!
3) The Beds - HARD as a ROCK with pillows as flat as pancakes. Sleeping was miserable. I also woke up in the middle of the night with my toe stuck in a hole in the sheet. I pulled back the blanket to find the sheet riddled with holes!!! This is UNacceptable!
4) The Point Restaurant and Bar - Friendly and wonderful staff (thank you Vijay and Terrel). Good food with slightly less expensive prices than the rest of Atlantis.
5) Pool - Closes at 5 pm. An announcement was made at 4:45 telling everyone they had 15 minutes left to swim and at 5 everyone was told to get out. Really???? There was over an hour of day light left! Let people swim at their own risk, even after the sun goes down. I don't think 9 pm is unreasonable!
6) Internet - $21.95 per day for up to 4 devices (even though the info I received at check-in said $19.95 and there is no discount for multiple days). If you have more than 4 devices, bring your own router and connect to the line in the room. That will allow you to use unlimited devices in the room and still have 3 other devices you can roam Atlantis with on wifi. (This is the only Starwood timeshare property I know of that doesn't have free wifi).
7) Avoid the sundry shop if you can! Prices are INSANE. $7.55 for an 8 oz. bag of Chex Mix!
8) Concierge - Most were extremely helpful and nice, some were rude and unhelpful. Find one you like and stick with them. You don't have to use your "assigned" concierge. Get a receipt or voucher for EVERYTHING you book (including restaurants) especially because deposits are paid in cash ONLY. I booked some diving with Stuarts Cove and woke up sick and unable to dive. It was a battle to get my deposit back from the concierge (clearly she didn't want to refund her commission) but one of her co-workers was on my side :-)
9) The Good - Restaurant/Bar staff helpful and friendly (they had great tips) & good food, having a kitchen in the units (BIG plus), getting to use the perks of Atlantis without staying at Atlantis, unlimited use of pool towels at Harborside and at Atlantis, having a washer/dryer in the rooms (pack light and bring home clean clothes), shuttle bus to Atlantis main property ran often and the drivers were nice, walking the harbor to get to Atlantis was always interesting and relaxing (the yachts and ships are incredible), full use of Atlantis facilities.

Would I return to Harborside? Yes, it is the best option/value if you want to experience Atlantis and is a decent location (except Building 6). All in all Harborside is nice (although I had a much better experience 2 years ago - that was 5 stars). Maybe this was a fluke??? I hope so, but if not, Harborside and Starwood better wake up and get to work! My advice…go to Nassau and Atlantis expecting HIGH prices (and then add another 30% on to that expectation) and a few rude/unhelpful employees and locals. Every place in the world has those people, so don't let that deter you. Just be prepared, ask questions and don't be deterred. If I let the bad things of every vacation get to me, I would never travel.

Room Tip: Avoid Building 6
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank studyinblue
Bridgeport, West Virginia
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

At check-in, if you want the person at the front desk to take over 30 minutes to "find" your reservation, when you have a confirmation number this would be a great start to a vacation for you. After they finally found our reservation and we got checked in, there weren't any apologies.

The room was dirty. Mildew in the tub and shower. Sink was gross.

The staff our entire stay was rude and made us feel we were an inconvenience to their social time with their fellow "employees". You can't get a straight answer on any service questions you have. The resort has more than enough employees but they might want to consider training them. Not just at Harborside but the entire Atlantis. If you ask for directions be prepared to still find your own way because they were rarely correct.

The shuttle between the hotel is a joke. Several times we waited almost 30 minutes. I had an appointment at the spa, waited almost 30 minutes for the shuttle and finally walked the 15 minutes to get there. While I was being checked in, at the spa, another couple that was waiting for the same shuttle I was finally made it 10 minutes after I did. You can do the math on how long it took the shuttle.

Food is way over priced. Be sure to go to a grocery store on your way to the resort, IF you decide to visit. We did not buy a meal plan and from talking with fellow vacationers that was a good thing.

I am a frequent traveler and will not return to the Harborside, Atlantis or even the Bahamas. For the price, there are many nicer resorts to visit. Hawaii was even cheaper than this vacation. Even taking price out of the equation, I wouldn't return simply because of the lack of hospitality.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank emily m
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvements and your feedback does just that. Thank you for your comments about the maintenance and service issues you encountered. We would like to be able to correct this immediately. Please feel free to contact me at hsresponse@atlantisparadise.com as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring. Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We have been here twice as owners exchange from Starwood. Both times we have thoroughly enjoyed this resort. Yes the old side needs refurbished but even now it still is very nice. They could do a little better job with the little things like supplying laundry and dish washer soap but all in all a good stay. Only complaint is with Atlantis charge for everything policy. 22 bucks a day is silly for wireless. I am surprised they don't charge us for the sun we soak up. Not a cheap place to bring family.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank LarryS769
London, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2014

While the rooms could use updating, overall this is a good place to stay. Having the kitchen facilities is a big plus on Paradise Island as eating there is very expensive. The units could use some updating (eg. replacement of carpets which are stained) but the pool is nice and staff are friendly and helpful. It is certainly a plus having access to the Atlantis facilities included in the price of staying at Harborside. The main drawback for us is that the resort is not very close to the beach, although shuttles which get you closer to the beach are very frequent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool or harbour.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michele154995
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Great vacation, good staff, however, as previous reviewers stated, the resort is dated and in need of updating.

Tips to others- bring laundry detergent pods, coffee filters/ground coffee, dishwasher detergent/sponge.

Bring some snacks/food.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
8 Thank P K
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Eight of us stayed at the Harborside for a week beginning Jan 5th. We had a two room lock-off unit on the second floor. We did not experience any of the maintenance issues that other reviewers have noted. The carpets could use a good cleaning, but everything functioned properly and felt clean and updated. We asked for a corner unit so that both rooms would have a balcony and that request was graciously met.

Our party was made up of 2 forty something's and 6 early twenty something's. There was definitely something for everyone. This seemed like a dead week for the resort. There were plenty of pool chairs and no lines for the water slides. The comedy club was great, although we were never able to get the attention of the one drink waitress. The beaches were clean and beautiful. The surf was high that week and there were a couple of days that the beaches were closed.

The pool at the Harborside was my favorite because it was smaller and very quiet. But if you want more activity there were many, many other options. Getting towels and wristbands was super easy.

The whole resort felt very safe. We never worried about our party being out late or walking through the property. There are plenty of shuttle buses running every 5-10 minutes.

I have to agree that it was very expensive, but not too unlike any other US resort. Some restaurants seemed very expensive for what you got. Others seemed very comparable to Chicago or Las Vegas. Drink prices also seemed very comparable to big cities in the states. What surprised me was the cost of some groceries. Generally everything seemed almost double what we pay. The most expensive items were snacks like chips, crackers, and frozen pizza. A large brand name frozen pizza was almost $13 where we pay $5 at home. A case of Budweiser was over $50. So be prepared. Many reviewers packed a suitcases just for snacks. It's probably worth the $20 baggage fee if you plan on cooking quite a bit.

Pack some laundry detergent pods and dryer sheets. Also pack a variety of ziploc bags. They come in handy for a variety of things, especially storing leftovers.

We ate at Mesa Grill which was fabulous. Also had good meals at Bimini Road and Dune (at the Ocean Club). If you go to Dune go before dark so you can watch the ocean. We went after the sun had set and thought it would be better had we gone earlier. All the restaurants add an automatic 18% gratuity and I think that lessens the service staff desire to provide above average service. We also ate at Anthony's and the Green Parrot. They weren't terrible, but I wouldn't really recommend either.

One cloudy day we took the ferry over to downtown Nassau and walked around. It's the typical tourist shopping with tshirt and souvenir shops. Again we felt very safe. It can get pretty crowded because the cruise ships dock here for the day.

We all had a great week and will definitely go back. Atlantis is a fun place for families of all ages. There is plenty to do as a group or individually. We are Starwood vacation owners at the Cancun resort. While the Cancun property is definitely a little more upscale, everyone in our party had more fun at Atlantis.

Stayed January 2014