“Tropical treasure in paradise”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Middletown, New Jersey
“Tropical treasure in paradise”
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Just returned from 7 days in Paradise and the trip was awesome.

I would like to begin by saying that I am an owner of a 2 bedroom lockoff unit in Building 2 and was quite concerned as to what we were going to find after reading all the reviews on this site. We have been to Harborside as a family four times prior to this visit, with our last visit in June 2006.Fortunately, our fears were unfounded.

Travelled with a party of 4 adults( 50ish) and two twenty somethings and stayed in the actual unit that we own. (3726/3727).
From one of the earlier reviews, I found the name of Trevor Ferguson, owner of a fleet of transportation vehicles, who met us promptly at the airport, picked us up in a white stretch limo, brought us to the supermarket and then off to Harborside. Much cheaper than arranging the transportaiton through Atlantis. He then returned mid week to take our daughters to the airport and then end of week to take us back to the airport. On the trip back to the airport he went a scenic route and even pointed out the cemetery where Anna Nicole Smith is buried.
If interested you can contact him at royality65@aol.com. Great guy and great price.
We arrived at Harbordside at 1:00 PM and our room was not ready. The checkin process went very smoothly and we set up the separate room charge accounts and all worked out fine,
I had brought one of those hot/cold bags from home and had put the refrigerated items that we bought in the supermarket in that bag. Lovardo, who took our luggage, took the cold bag and put the groceries in the refrigerator in our unit at checkin. We were now free to roam the grounds. We had lunch at the Point which was very good. The pool area was beautiful, not crowded at all and the new buildings (3,4,5,6) looked nice. I was concerned that with the new phase completed, the pool area would be overcrowded but that was not the case for the full 7 days we were there.
Since we had some time before checkin we took the shuttle over to the Cove and the Reef. Absolutely Stunning. More about those resorts later.
We were able to checkin to our rooms at 3:30 and all the luggage was already in the room. I was very curious about the wear and tear that everyone has been talking about so I went around the unit very carefully. Our unit looked great. The walls had not a scratch, my feet did not turn black after walking around the unit and the bathrooms were immaculate. The problems we encountered were there were no blankets for the pullout sofa bed. I called houskeeping and they were delivered in 20 minutes. The metal fram of the sofa bed was mangled in the corner and it was difficult to set up the bed. I called front desk the next morning and they directed the call to engineering. A man showed up that afternoon and repaired the frame. There were no placemats and no frying pan in the larger unit. I can live with these type of problems on vacation. The sofa definitely looked worn and needed to be replaced
At our owners update, I was told that beginning about October 2008, the units in Building 1,2 and 3 are going to be gutted and totally refurbised and redecorated. Also told that Harborside is going to build another phase the other side of the harbor where the silos now stand.

We made good use of the washer/dryer and the dish washer and they performed perfectly.

The jitneys at Harborside do not run frequently enough in the AM and later in the day. There is a large group waiting when going to the beach in the morning and then returning from the beach at 5. They need to improve that system.

Now for some dining and recreation experiences.
Dining ;
Carmines; food and service was great. Big fan of Carmines in NY and Atlantic City. Found the food here just as good. The baked clams were tiny compared to back in the states but delicious.
Market Place Buffet - pricey $52 but nice variety. Enjoyed the sushi and the Mongolian cooking stone. They have a great group that sings Happy Birthday to a Caribbean beat. My 20 something got up with our waiter and joined the group. It was a blast.
Bimini Road - Since we are a party of 6 we had to wait about an hour for a table. They then squezzed us around a round banquet table that was entirely too small. I noticed any party over 4 was seated in tight quarters. The air conditioning did not seem like it was working. The food was good but the wait and seating experience was not.
Johnny Rockets - went in for a Vanillaa Shake which was delicious. Lots of families with kids running around.
Anthony's - found this to be the best priced restaurant with delicious food. Have eaten here on an earlier visit and would certainly go again.
Chop Stix - food pretty good but way over priced. Party of 4 adults, 2 appetizers, 4 main meals 2 drinks ($350). Yikes!!
Murrays Deli - I was not impressed but the other 3 adults enjoyed their corned beef and pastrami sandwiches.
Waters Edge Buffet - fish is main entree at this buffet. Food was good and the setting is nice.
During the day at the pools we had lunch which was pretty good
Greek Salad $10/Hamburger $8.50/Fries $3.50. Since we had the unit, we had lunch several times back at home. We did pick up botttled water at the supermarket that we would freeze the nite before and then take to the beach/pool in a zip lock bag and it worked out great.
Trips:
Andastara Gardens - Flamingo show was fun. Ate at Conch Fritters in town and then did some window shopping.
Majestic Tours Rose Island for a picnic and snorkeling- Very disappointed. $55- very few fish, reef looked dead, food very disappointing - facilities for changing non-existant. Did this trip 6 years ago and it certainly has gone down hill. Did Blue Lagoon Island 2 years ago and found it very very difficult to get into the water with all the rock formations. Probably best to try a snorkeling trip where they take you out and you jump off the boat.
Grounds of Atlantis
River Pool by the Beach tower was great. You can easily access Paradise Beach from here. The lazy river here is still a favorite.
Royal Tower Pool - nice large pool and can enter the new water rapid ride from this area.
The Baths Pool - this is a new pool over by Cove Beach and it is large and beautiful. You also have easy access to Cove Beach. This is a great area for the beach and the rapids and Tower of Power.
Went out walking early every morning from 7-8:30 and did not see towels on chairs . Went to the Fitness Center over by Royal Tower 3 days/$40 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Center at Harborside too small. Walked over by the Cove in the morning and could see the dolphins at Dolphin Cay jumping around. Truly beautiful.
Checkout was fine with no unauthorized charges to the room.

Had fun in the Casino at the penny slots and had a great time in Marina Village. I miss my morning walk around the marina into the Village and then a Starbucks Venti Black Iced Tea sweetened($3.45).
I hope you found this information helpful and I can't wait to return to see what the new renovation will look like.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Level of transportaiton service
12 Thank kmc1021

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I don't want the 3 stars to scare you. We had a fantastic time at Harborside, and there is no doubt that Atlantis is a first class resort. Our problem was with a few nits at Harboriside. First, we weren't able to get our unit until 5pm, which is a big bummer after a full day of flying. Secondly, our room did not have all of its tableware, etc. We were in Phase 1, Building 1 with a terrific view of the marina and Royal Towers. I do not recommend this building if you plan on sleeping in the LR. The noise from the tunnel can be loud. You will not notice it back in the bedroom.

The toilet also leaked all week. We asked them to fix it, but they never did. I also told them at checkout. I left with the distinct impression that the next occupant would have the same problem. The beds are hard, and they provide very thin pillows. These units also still only have VCRs.

Otherwise Harborside is great. The pool is very nice. Atlantis is unbelieveable. We really enjoyed the water rides, especially the Current. The marine parks are great. Make sure you go to one of the feedings. Another good tip is to bring your own snorkel equipment. You don't need the vests. They are complimentary. We had fun snorkelling in the lagoon area where they rent paddle boats. There is no coral, but the fish are pretty over by the breakers.

There is a liquor store and a small convenience store outside of the main entrance of Atlantis along a little strip mall. The prices still aren't good, but they are better than Atlantis. I do not recommend flying Bahamas Air. The planes are very old, and they routinely run late.

• Liked — amenities of Atlantis
  • Disliked — the beds
3 Thank atstpier
Jackson, California
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We just returned from an amazing vacation at The Atlantis...we stayed at Harborside! We were a group of 8 people...my parents ages 58 & 57, my brothers ages 20 & 16, our kids ages 8 1/2 (boy) and almost 3 (girl) and us ages 38 & 37...we travelled from California. It was the first time for all of us to The Bahamas!

Flight There: We left LA at 6am! This worked out well for us even though it was very early (4am arrival at LAX). We flew on American Airlines and the flight there was on time and very uneventful. Our daughter did great, she's a good little traveler! We arrived in Miami on time and ready to get our connection, we had a 50 minute layover and I was pretty concerned about making the connection in time. Our connection went smoothly, our connecting gate was just downstairs from our arriving gate (same airline).

Arrival in The Bahamas: Arrival was on time. We went through customs and on to the luggage carousel very fast. There were plenty of people around to help us with our luggage and get a cab/shuttle for us. As it turned out our luggage didn't make our flight, probably due to the short connection time. We went to the luggage assistance desk and filled out a form and then they explained to us that once our luggage arrives (PROBABLY by the end of the night) then they will have it delivered to Harborside for us. So, without our luggage and a little frustrated, we hopped into a shuttle (Fergies Taxi). Our driver, Cheryl Ferguson (Taxi #310, phone #242-423-4982) was GREAT. She pointed out all kinds of sights on our way to the Harborside as well as told of lots of history of Nassau and New Providence Island. She also made arrangements to pick us up on our departure date and called us the day before to confirm it! Needless to say, Cheryl turned our moods around and got us off to a great start...and to the Harborside safely.

Harborside: We arrived at the property around 5:30-6pm. Check in went smooth and the agent was friendly. When we made our reservation (8 months prior thru SVN trade since we own in Maui) we requested a 2 bedroom lock-off and a 1 bedroom Premium unit and we requested to have all the rooms next to each other or as close as possible. We were very happy to be all next door to each other. We were in Phase 2 in Building 3 (rooms 3790, 3791, 3792...I think). I was hoping for building 5, but no luck with that. Oh well, we didn't really mind at all. All the rooms were clean with nice furnishings and amenities. The beds were comfy, even the sofa beds and the kitchens had everything that we needed. The floors were a little dirty and the furniture was showing wear and tear, but nothing to complain about. Probably our biggest complaint (which certainly didn't ruin anything for us) was the lack of hot water in the morning usually around 9ish and in the evening usually around 5 or 6ish. The pool at the Harborside was nothing special and we (just my son & I) only hung out there for 2 hours on our last day. The sundry store on the property had small things that we needed if we ran out of something, but of course they were expensive. The don't have liquor there either. My mom and I packed lots (1 small suitcase each) of snacks, coffee/filters, laundry detergent, dishwasher dertgent, muffins, bagels, peanut butter, jelly, etc. On Sunday AM she and I took the shuttle to the City Market for $7 each and bought water, sodas, milk, bread, meats, stuff for 2 dinners that we cooked in (pizza & salad as well as tacos), cheese, eggs, etc. The clerks at the store were helpful and packed our groceries into 2 boxes so that made it easy for us to carry. Also, the grocery store doesn't sell liquor. Oh, yes, we got our luggage about 10pm on our first night...thank goodness!!

Atlantis/Casino/Pools/Marina Village/Slides: We spent almost everyday at the Atlantis pools. We hung out in the same general area everyday so that if some of the group came later they would know where to look for us. Our hang out was either at the Mayan Temple or the Kids Pool right by the Mayan Temple. We never had a problem finding chairs. My daughter loved the kids pool and loved the little slides that are all around the Mayan Temple pool. My son loved ALL of the slides and the river ride. My husband, brothers and dad all loved the slides/river ride too! My mom and I were a little more conservative and didn't try everything, but loved what we did do. The pools/slides at the Atlantis are great for people of ALL ages, there really is something for everyone. Dad, husband and brother went to the casino a couple of nights (my 20 year old brother would sneak off there during the day when he was tired of the pool). No poker in The Bahamas. No one lost or won much money. They said the casino was nice, but nothing special and just like any other casino. They did say that the dealers at the blackjack tables were rude. I wouldn't say that all of the employees at The Atlantis are rude, but they definatley weren't very friendly for the most part...some just didn't seem happy to be working or helping us. Not sure if it was meant to seem that way or if that is just the Bahamian way. Regardless, it still didn't turn us away that's for sure! There is so much to see at The Atlanits. I feel like we saw a lot, but missed a lot too. We loved The Dig, especially my daughter, and it was a great short cut too...we would take the shuttle to the Royal Towers...take the elevator downstairs...walk through The Dig and then out to the back of the Lagoon and then a short walk to The Mayan Temple (with lots of photo opportunities along the way). We went into all of the buildings at The Atlantis, Coral is nothing speical it reminded me of Las Vegas, Beach was nice and that's where the pottery place was (which we enjoyed very much), Club Rush (which my son loved in the evening from 4-7), Reef looked nice too, Royal was very nice, I would love to see the rooms there, Cove is beautiful! Marina Village was a very nice place to walk around and do a little shopping, had an ice cream and enjoy the people watching and the yachts.

Food/Restaurants: I made all of our dinner reservations about a month in advance which was helpful, especially with kids. Our first night we ate at Carmines which is in the Marina Village. It was GREAT and a HUGE hit with everyone. Portions are HUGE and served family style. We brought our leftovers back to our rooms and ate them on pizza night. For our party of 8 we ordered 3 pasta dishes, 1 chicken dish, 1 salad, 1 bottle of wine, 1 beer, 4 cocktails and 3 sodas for a total of $350 (includes tip). Excellent food and service! Night two we ate at Bimini Road Cafe. Food there was good, nothing really special and service was fair. We had 1 appetizer (conch fritters), 6 entrees, 2 kids meals, 6 beers, 3 sodas, 1 non-alcohlic "cocktail", 1 cocktail for $370 (includes tip). Bimini doesn't take reservations, but we arrived at 7pm and only had to wait about 5 minutes for a table. Night 3 my parents, husband and I went to The Mesa Grill while my brothers watched the kids and they walked to Johnny Rockets. They said Johnny Rockets was just like at home but was $65 for the 4 of them. The Mesa Grill was absolutly fabulous!!! Food and service were above top notch. My dad is very hard to please and he said his dinner was the best meal he's had! We had 1 bottle of wine, 5 cocktails, 2 appetizers, 4 entrees, 2 desserts and 3 cups of coffee for a total of $500.00 (that is including the normal 15% tip that they add on plus a little extra). That place is amazing and is not to be missed...no kids under 6 years of age. Night 4 we ate in...frozen pizzas made in the convection oven without a problem, cesar salad and leftovers from Carmines. Night 5 (mom's bday) we at at The Cafe of the Great Wall of Waters. I was really looking forward to this place and hoping it would be a special bday for mom. I am sad to report that it was a BIG dissappointment. Food was average to below average and service was lacking for sure. Our party of 8 had 1 bottle of wine, 2 beers, 1 cocktail, 3 sodas, 3 cups of coffee, 2 desserts (one of which they brought out for moms bday and charged us for it), 2 kids meals and 6 entrees for a total of $525.00 (standard 15% tip included). We will not eat there again. Night 6 we ate dinner in...tacos and spanish rice. Good thing we had plans to eat in that night...daughter was sick...flu or too much sun...not sure but it only lasted for a day! Night 7 we ventured off of Paradise Island and took a taxi to The Poop Deck. We had a 7:30 reservation, but didn't get in until 8:00. Also, this place is not airconditioned so it was very stuffy and hot in the bar while we waited for our table. There are fans in the open air seating/dining area which helped some, but it was still a warm night. Service at the Poop Deck was slow and the server was a little rude (the Bahamian way???), the food was good to average and the atmosphere was fun. This place was a little less expensive than the places at The Atlantis...our total bill was $300. Next time we will probably try the Fish Fry. Food at the grocery stores was definatley more expensive than what you pay in the US. I say that if you are going on a vacation to a resort area then you better be prepared to pay extra for dinners out and food at the stores...don't complain about it...if you are going to complain then maybe The Atlantis isn't for you. To me vacations aren't for trying to save money, they are for splurging!

Excursions: We did the dolphin swim with Dolphin Encounters at Blue Lagoon Island. We all really enjoyed it and felt like it was well worth the money (& cheaper than the Atlantis if you are looking for a deal). The boat ride there and back was nice and the island itself is very pretty. It was a great way to spend a few hours! By the way, my 3 year old loved it. My parents did a tour (can't remember the name of it) of the zoo, flowers, wildlife in Nassau. They weren't impressed. My dad, husband and brothers did the Sub Bahamas trip with Stuart Cove's, they had a great day doing that.

Trip Home: Check out from The Harborside was fast and easy. Cheryl from Fergies Taxi picked us up as promised by 9:30am and we were off to the airport for a 12:15 departure. The lines were very long...checking in, security (twice) and customs, but we made it to our gate with 30 minutes to spare. We left on time and arrived in Miami ready to eat lunch during our 2 1/2 hour layover. Left Miami a little late so we of course arrived back in LAX a little late. Lots of thunderstorms all over so the ride home was a little on the bumpy side.

Weather: It was hot and humid, but not unbearable at all, we expected a lot worse actually. We had on good rain storm on one morning, but it was clear by noonish. One afternoon we had rain again and had to leave the pool around 3:30...due to rain and thunderstorms. Another afternoon the slides closed about 4:15 due to thunderstorms, but that passed within about an hour. I honestly expected more rain and hotter weather so I was very pleasantly surprised!

Overall: For the last 5 years we have gone to Maui every year and have all loved it. At one point my son said he wanted to move to Maui. Before we left to The Bahamas we booked our trip to Maui for 2009 (my cousin, his wife and their 8 year old daughter will be joining us this time). My son has since informed us that he never wants to go to Maui again...he LOVES The Atlantis, The Harborside Villas and everything that the resort has to offer ALL OF US. My husband & I totally agreed (except we WILL be going back to Maui again someday) with him and we are hoping that come October we can book the same rooms at the Harborside again for June...maybe we will even buy a vacation ownership there too!!

• Liked — The location, the room and The Atlantis...pools, slides, restaruant choices
  • Disliked — lack of hot water
8 Thank TeVo2
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Travelers beware of the 'explorer package' at Harborside. It's a package they offer you when you decline your first timeshare presentation in order for you to come back. They offer a 'discounted rate' that at first seems worth while, but its a scam! With this package, you are required to pay maid gratuity and energy use per person/per night. For a family of 4, thats a totzal of $57 extra bucks added nightly. At first this wasnt a problem, but when youre paying gratuity for maid service you AREN'T recieving and $10 per person per night, it racks up. I could see if it was $10 a night PER ROOM, but $40 a night just for energy? By the time you check out, you're paying well above the regular nightly room rate! I would reccommend staying at the Cove or the Reef at this price.
The room was another downside. Nothing worked. The hairdryer was broken, the iron was broken, the fridge was leaking water, the kitchen was incomplete and our toaster almost caught fire by simply toasting bread for breakfast! At 50K for owning a piece of this dump its not worth your money at all!

4 Thank jetsetter0793
Morgan Hill, California
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We just returned from a week at Harborside in building 6 (Friday check in) which is in phase II. We are Westin Maui vacation owners and chose Atlantis this year. This was our first trip to the Bahamas & loved the condo which was very clean and nicely decorated. We had a water view with the bridge just to the left of us. The windows work well so we never heard any traffic noise. We had a 2 bedroom deluxe which accomodated our family of 4 perfectly. I posted a detailed trip report in the forum for those interested in other details, but we will defnitely return in the future and would recommend this resort.

1 Thank Potari
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I came to Tripadvisor before we left for our visit to Harborside to get a few tips for keeping our trip cheap and efficient. I have to say I was really nervous considering a few reviews that mentioned how dirty and outdated the rooms were. Happily, we had the exact opposite experience.

The really clarification here needs to be if you are staying in Phase I or Phase II of Harborside. Phase I is older and has a bright Carribean decorative scheme (a little tacky and definitely more worn). Phase II is beautiful - a very neutral scheme - carpeting and upholstery is clean and very current. Phase II is a little further removed from the front entry as well and it was so quiet we didn't even know we had neighbors. If you don't own a timeshare definitely request Phase II!

As far our travels, my husband and twin six year old boys managed to have a fantastic time - without spending a bundle of $$ (much in thanks to the wonderful tips I found on this site). Here are a few of the ones we used and found most helpful.

- Order from Dominos one night! We ordered two larges and got two meals and a lunch out of it for less than $40!

- Definitely take the $7 bus into the grocery store. You get an hour to go to a local strip mall - enough time to buy the fairly reasonable groceries and even hit the liquor store. (I should note that I'm from a major US city so that should be kept in mind when considering what is "reasonable"). I went by myself and they packaged everything in boxes. The bus took us back to our buildings so it was fine to just send one representative for the family.

- Definitely do the OFF site swimming with the dolphins! Here's the kicker - our Harborside concierge recommended it! It only cost $85 to take the ferry from near Harborside to a gorgeous island about 1/2 hour ride away and we had the experience of a lifetime with the dolphins! (FYI - check out the cost of the Atlantis experience - about $140 per person!)

- Thank you, thank you to the guest who recommended going to the slides later in the day! My family had a fantastic time because of this! We would go to Harborside's pool in the morning, head back to the unit for lunch and then take the shuttle to the Cove (covered separately below) Beach and then off to the lazy river/rapids and slides around 4:00 - no lines, less crowd - a great time!

- To all families with little kiddies who enjoy the beach as well as the pools - definitely head to the Cove Beach! So absolutely beautiful and there is an "arm" of land that comes out (to the right side (by the Power Tower) that protects an entire section from the waves so it's PERFECT for kids to float and play. Don't be afraid to pack pails and big shovels if your little ones like the sand. We brought big shovels and every little one on the beach watched my boys with envy. Honestly, they didn't take that much room in our luggage and we spent hours in our lounge chairs pulled right up to the water's edge while they played in the sand. FYI - water shoes weren't needed for this beach - in retrospect we wouldn't have brought anything but flip flops for this trip.

- DO explore the Atlantis property thoroughly! Everytime we walked, we found different caves and tanks and lagoons to explore. Take the path least travelled - it probably goes to a rope bridge or a waterfall with tiny baby stingrays swimming in it! : )

In the end how much $ you spend is entirely up to you. We eat two meals a day in our room and enjoyed another out. This trip is completely do-able if you do the same. Enjoy! (I know we did!)

• Liked — Variety of pools and activities
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank wanderlustdance
North Carolina
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Atlantis. We took our two children - a 15 yr old boy and 8 yr old girl with us, and it was awesome. The service throughout the resort was wonderful. We stayed in the Beach Towers, and the room was great with an awesome view. Each evening someone from housekeeping stopped by to check to see if everything in our room was okay. With four of us staying, we went through a lot of towels, etc and each time we called to ask for more we got them almost immediately. The staff here was great. I talked with one gentleman at guest services a LOT, and he was so helpful and friendly. I wanted to take back souvenirs for my classes and decided to take them back some coins from the Bahamas. The girls in the sundries shop saved out as many as possible for me and called around everywhere to find me more. Even when I returned after 11 pm one night, she still remembered and was still saving them for me. The food is good, Atlas(off the casino) is a great place to eat - the ribeye chop was delicious. It is a bit pricy, but not more than what we have seen in similar resorts (Vegas was ridiculous) and the drinks were cheaper here than in Vegas. You can get a soft drink for $4 at the grills by the pool and there are free refills all day. (We took a suitcase full with us to have in the room) A mixed cocktail is $9, but in Vegas we found them to be 14 or 15. Carmine's is as good here as in NYC, and keep in mind that the $40 pasta dishes will serve between 2 - 4 people depending on your appetite.

We did the shallow water interaction with the dolphins and it was one of the most awesome things I have ever done. My daughter LOVED it. Electra (our dolphin) was so SWEET!!! My son and husband did the jet skis off of the beach for $60 a half hour - they will try of course to get you to do an hr but they were both exhausted from riding it after a half hour. The pools are great! Our favorite was the one right in front of Royal Towers with the suns on the bottom. The boys LOVED the slide into the shark tank. The current(the rapid "lazy river" is a little rough, but fun until my daughter and I were dumped out of the raft and she went under, so I'd skip that if you have a child who is not a confident swimmer. Be sure to go to the beach early because it was much calmer in the early morning but by after noon very rough close to shore.
We took the shuttle down to the Ocean Club to see the Cloisters and the gardens there - beautiful and great photo op. Have the photographers in Atlantis follow you and take pics if you'd like to do that, if not, there are a lot of them in the hotel in the evening taking pics.
We took a taxi into Nassau one evening for dinner($5 each person) - our driver suggested we go to the "Fish Fry" - which is really a row of restaurants. The one he took us to was the Twin Brothers, and the food was AWESOME - conch fritters were 2.50 for 6 and delicious, and then our fried shrimp was great. My son got the grilled grouper fingers (in foil with sweet potatoes, onions, plantains, etc) Delicious flavor! Great pina colodas!

• Liked — Atmosphere/Service
  • Disliked — Distance to get to some places
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family