“Amazing”

Atlantis - Harborside Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Atlantis is an amazing huge resort type hotel.

It has many activities to offer for all ages and all costs. It is not all inclusive although you have the option to purchase the food plan. It is a very well run hotel with lots of activities to keep you busy.

There is tons of staff throughout the resort to help you. Unfortunately, we had poor customer service from the pool boys and the pool food staff. They were very unfriendly, slow and showed no interest to provide any service. Other than that, the staff were exceptional in all areas especially at our checkin.

Atlantis is divided into towers – Beach, Coral, Royal, Reef and Cove.

We contacted Cheryl Fox to pick us up in her taxi van. She charged $40 including the bridge toll and can be contacted via email at cherylfoxferguson@live.com. She was prompt and efficient in responding to our emails and provided great service. Her taxi van is a bigger van with lots of room for families and luggage. She also offers day excursions – www.cherylbahamastaxiandtours.com.

We booked the harbourside villas via www.vrbo.com. The rates were much cheaper than booking it via the Atlantis website. We paid $1895 inclusive of taxes. Booking a room at the Beach Tower worked out to be $300 a night…harbourside worked out cheaper for us for 7 nights. Plus we had access to a full kitchen and spacious one bedroom villa. All passes into atlantis and taxes were all included. We had housekeeping once during the week.

It was a convenient 10-15 minute walk to beach towers. We occasionally took the complimentary shuttle to the towers but preferred the walk over. We got our wristbands from the harbourside pool area. There was never any lineups. You only need to get your wristbands once at the beginning of your stay unless it happens to come off.

There is two computers set-up in the harbourside lobby for internet usage. Free 15 minutes per 24 hours per room is allowed. Otherwise, internet and Wi-Fi are charged for a fee.
The Atlanta newsletter was published every morning which highlighted all the activities for the day. This would help us plan for the day. We did many free activities which the kids enjoyed very much:
• Cartoon Network Cartoon viewing on the beach (got free sunglasses and beach balls)
• BINGO
• Free movies throughout the day at the Atlantis Theatre
• Cartoon Network Obstacle Course (believe cartoon network activities were only their for the summer)
• Etc.

There are many pools at Atlantis. There are DJ’s playing pumping music at many of the pools. We mostly hung around the Royal and Bath Colonnade Pool.

The water rides are amazing. All the slides are sensational (my family tells me). Although, I don’t do rides – my favorite was the Rapid River Tube Ride. It’s a better version of the lazy river. A must for all ages!!

The drinks are food are very reasonable. After reading some of the reviews, I was very hesitant and we packed non perishables to bring with us. Combo’s by the pool include Burger, Chips and drink for $10.00 plus 15% gratuity. Beers were $6.50. Daiquiris were $9.00. Virgin daiquiris (banana, mango, strawberry, pina colada) which my kids loved were $6.50 each.
All the casual eateries at Atlantis were all very reasonable and the food was delicious.
Marina Shopping Village is connected with the Atlantis and has many restaurants to eat at. Marina Pizzeria was delicious. Medium 12” pizzas were $21.00 and large 18” were $32.00. There is also quiznos, dunkin’ donuts, johnny rockets, starbucks and other high end eateries.

There is another shopping village which is owned by the locals called Paradise Shopping village. There is a convenience store, banks, clothes store, and Anthony’s Grill. The service and food were not up to par. However, if you do want to go and try it – go during happy hour which is from 4-6 or 9-10:30 everyday. Wine and beer is $4.00 and appetizers (nachos, wings, conch fritters, calamari) are all in the $5-$6 range. Spend the extra and eat at one of the Atlantis properties…its not too much extra if not the same!

We had brought cereal and only needed milk. We bought milk form the Paradise village from the convenience store for $5.50 for ½ gallon. This was the same price from Murray’s Deli in Marina Village. Beer was $3.50 per bottle and wine $10-$15 at the convenience store. The grocery store in town (Super Value) sold milk $3.50.

We walked to downtown one day. The walk was approximately 3.4 km. We were exhausted by the heat by the end of the walk. We enjoyed subway (foot long sub $8.50...prices comparable), McDonalds and drinks at senor frogs. We took the ferry back at $4.00 each. We just paid the ferry guy to skip any service charges hotels charge.

We also walked over the non-toll bridge hunting for a closer Subway (1.3km walk). We did find it but has changed its name to Bahama Subs. $5.00 for footlong subs…similar promotions of subways and exactly the same subs as subway. There is also dominoes and dairy queen in the same complex (Harbour Shopping Complex). If you go over the non toll bridge, turn immediate left and keep walking down pass Esso and Texaco. You will see starbucks and will find the other eateries in the same complex.

On the way back, we tried Twin Brothers which is one of the shacks under the toll bridge. Had daiquiris there…sizes ranged from small to extra large - $3.00/$4.00/$5.00/$6.00 add $2.00 for alcohol for any size. Didn’t have a chance to try the food but was very busy with tourists. Menu offered $6.00 hamburgers, lots of seafood options.

My kids visited Crush nightclub one evening. They went during the tween hours from 4-8pm as they were under 13. It was a $25.00 cover charge unless you have the kids fun pass. Lots of video games, internet usage and dancing.

My kids enjoyed the Magic Show one night at the Jokers Wild. It was $15.00 for 12 and over and $10.00 for under 12. The show runs one hour. They also bought a CD at the end of the show of the magic tricks for $20.00.

We went to the comedy club one night and that was a blast. It was $20 each for a 90 minute show. You can order drinks – no food offered.

I attached a sample of the daily activities at atlantis and sample pool lunch bill.

All in all - amazing trip and memorable trip!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank 1975RB
Write a ReviewReviews (1,793)

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Been coming here annually for 6 years. The island, the people, and the water are just as wonderful as ever.

However, the resort has changed. Checking in has continually taken longer and longer due likely to an antiquated system. The cleanliness and or maintenance of the rooms is reduced. Despite being there for a week, we were denied the standard mid-week complimentary room service. Internet is now $20/day, used to be half that, employees on site are not as gracious (not true for all-yet it was distinctly noticeable) as in past years.

We generally book two rooms: Most needed paint work, scuff repair, missing items in rooms, no bathroom towels in rooms at arrival, etc.

On a vacation, our aim is to enjoy and not think or notice peripheral issues; this time we could not. We love this place yet were disappointed as to the large drop in attention to detail of such a beautiful location.

Our regular taxi guy over the years, Stefano Wilkenson, is still awesome, helpful, friendly, and extremely responsible.

We hope they take these concerns seriously or people will stay elsewhere on the island as there are many many other choices on Paradise Island and Nassau.

Dolphin Cay at Atlantis: It is a separate fee. Frankly, it is amazing to see those people dropping $220 per person for an hour (actual 1/2 hour with dolphin). What a rip-off. Your choice of course. All other items on the premises are free. With a family of 4 you are spending almost a $1,000 for 30 minutes. Hmm.

Room Tip: One major tip: AVOID THE PEOPLE ON THE BEACH WHO WANT YOU TO PARASAIL AND ESPECIALLY JET SKI. THEY A...
5  Thank TexasEyedoc2020
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We wanted to visit Atlantis, and not go broke, and this is the way to do it. First and foremost, the rooms are larger. No one is stepping on eachothers toes. The kitchen and washer/dryer is what makes it great. Making breakfast and lunch certainly helps your wallet. We also took a water taxi to downtown Nassau and ate at the 'fish fry', just for a change of pace. I let my kids roam around via the shuttles during the daytime and felt very safe (ages 11 & 13). I would highly recommend this way to vacation!

Room Tip: bldgs 3 & 4 appear not to have great views....we were in bldg. 6, which was the farthest, but we...
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Spent a week at the Harborside Resort July 14-21. Our premium 1 bedroom suite was very nice, and had plenty of room for my family, including 2 adult children. Wasn't sure what to expect from some of the reviews, but we were in Building 4, and our unit was beautifully decorated and very clean. Used the Foodstore2Go service before we left home to order breakfast and lunch supplies, and they were great. Delivered our food right after we checked in, and even put it away. One item had been forgotten, and was immediately replaced. It really does save a lot of money to eat at least some meals there. Even lunch for 4 adults was average $100 at restaurants! This was our first visit to Atlantis, and it is a beautiful resort with plenty to do. Beaches were great, and pools were a nice option also. One thing to be aware of is that getting to the beach from Harborside does require a quick shuttle ride to Cove Beach (the closest one). However, the option of the larger unit and cooking facilities made this location the best choice for us. The employees of Atlantis without exception were wonderful. Very helpful and courteous. Would definitely go back again!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We arrived at 4:00 in the afternoon for an overnight stay in a deluxe king at the Harborside. At just over $1000 for our family of 3 I was hopeful to enjoy what many had told us was a "must see" resort. What I got was quite different. We waited for nearly a half hour before reaching the front dest and the attendant took 3 phone calls while making us wait as he described weather, room features and other information to callers. The search for food was equally frustrating as all the poolside restaurants begin closing around 5:00. We finally found one that was dirty, slow and charged us 15% gratuity for handing over a sack of fries and burgers after another half hour wait. The suite was dated, tiles are cracked, paint is peeling and the jacuzzi tub had hair and mildew. The only pleasure is the opportunity to post this review, but first I had to pay another $20 for wi-fiI. Seriously Atlantis?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank ebwebster
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for posting the feedback on your visit. At Harborside, it is our mission to create positive and memorable vacation experiences and it is always disappointing when we fall short. The concerns you mentioned are not typical of the level of service we strive to provide and I would like the opportunity to further discuss your concerns. Please contact me at hsresponse@atlantisparadise.com at your convenience. Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week as part of a timeshare exchange. This property is far and away once of the nicest places I've ever stayed. The room was somewhat standard, basically a one bedroom apartment. The kitchen came in handy as we brought lots of food with us and took advantage of local supermarkets as well. The bed was nice and comfy, the living room area was convenient and nicely appointed, and the bathroom was spotless.

We spent every day (of course) at the main resort. The shuttles to and from were very convenient and we rarely had any sort of wait at all. I also would like to add that this property is really not very far from the main resort--there were many times that we just walked. We were always able to find adequate seating, no matter which pool we visited. Some of the concessions were surprisingly reasonable, however the alcoholic beverages were severely marked up. We brought our own alcohol which we bought at the local liquor store on Paradise Island and nobody every gave us any grief about it.

I have only two minor complaints, and they were really so minor that they are barely worth mentioning and had little to no effect on our stay. The first, which is no secret, is that this place is PRICEY. Particularly the local restaurants and bars--if you want a better bang for your buck, adventure out to the main island where there are tons of options at much more reasonable prices. Transportation is very reasonable, especially if you've done your research and know about some of the roads less traveled (water taxi, Jitney bus, etc). Second, is that the service by Atlantis employees left something to be desired. Its not that they were outright rude or discourteous, we just noticed that a lot of the service staff seemed to be disengaged with their guests and almost indifferent towards us. But again, it was certainly not enough to ruin our trip.

The scenery was truly gorgeous and the architecture is amazing. I loved seeing all the huge yachts come into harbor every day. We went as a couple, but I can see this being an outstanding destination for families and friends as well. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Do research on Nassau as well and consider dining and entertainment options there
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrbrightside3108
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Atlantis Harborside Resort. All in all it was a terrific vacation. We have 4 boys (ages 17-13-10-4) and finding a destination that has something for everyone can be a bit of a challenge but we were very happy with our Atlantis vacation.

I rented a 2 Bedroom lock-off at Harborside through VRBO.com. This was very economical and the extra space, full kitchen and washer and dryer made up for the slight inconvenience of having to shuttle over to the AquaAdventure water park, pools, restaurants, etc. I pre-ordered some breakfast and snack staples from Foodstores2go.com and they were very acommodating. Our flight was delayed by almost 5 hours and our scheduled evening delivery became problematic. They were very willing to work with me and eventually made us the first delivery the morning after our very late arrival. The food was a little more expensive than what you might expect in the states...but not by that much and the quality was just fine. I wanted to avoid shopping on Paradise Island. Harborside does offer shuttles to the grocery store every morning but I didn't want to mess with that. It was nice to plan and place my order before we left and have delivered upon arrival.
The food at Atlantis is very expensive...which we expected...so having breakfasts in the room made a lot of sense for our family of 6. I also packed a carry-on bag with snacks and non-perishable items which came in very handy with the unwelcome departure delay and saved us a lot of money in Harborside's sundry shop.

Our room at Harborside was about what I expected. We were in a Phase I unit which was pretty basic, but very comfortable. I was a little disappointed that we were in Building 4 and on the ground floor. We had a view of another building and a small road. The cars going by were annoying and loud. Suffice it to say I only used the patio to put on sunscreen. However, we were not in the room that often and it was really not that big of a deal. We were short some towels and blankets upon arrival and it took a couple of phone calls to get the needed supplies delivered. My boys locked themselves out of the in-room safe as well as their side of the room and security was very patient and willing to help..

Most of our meals were in the Marina Village (Johnny Rockets, Bimini Road, Marina Pizza) as well as Seagrapes Buffet(in Beach Tower). All the meals averaged about $200 for 6 people. Marina Pizza was the exception and came in around $90. The food was fine....nothing fancy. I didn't think that Seagrapes was worth the $240 it cost my family to go there but there were endless choices of food items and something for everyone. We did have Dominos deliver on our last night and we ate at Anthony's in the shopping center across the street from Harborside. It had great drinks and a diverse menu that satisfied all my boys.

My oldest son enjoyed the teen nightclub, "Crush," in the Coral Tower. He purchased a $75 pass that offered him entrance every night for the length of our stay. He more than got his money's worth. He enjoyed the dancing, video games and opportunity to escape his younger brothers. A word of caution, however, on the first night he was approached by a man offering to sell him cocaine right outside the hotel and he was propositioned by a prostitute upon leaving the hotel at 1:00am a couple of nights later. The shuttles do not run between Coral Towers and Harborside after midnight and the club closes after 12am. I would highly reccommend that your teenagers leave Crush and walk back through the shopping area and casino to the lobby of the Royal tower where they can pick up a shuttle to Harborside. Clearly, walking back through the marina was a bit problematic.

We snorkled the "Ruins of Atlantis" which is essentially a guided tour of "The Dig" Aquarium. After a short introdcuton, you have about 45 minutes to snorkel with all the amazing sealife you witness while walking through The Dig. I must admit, I was not very excited about snorkling in a tank after experiencing some fantastic snorkling (see below) in the open ocean but I have to say, it was pretty cool. When "Athena" the giant manta ray swim just a few inches below me, I could see why my kids pushed so hard to do the excursion.

We did two trips off-property. The first was a snorkling trip with the Stuart's Cove outfitter. We spent an afternoon snorkling in three different open-ocean sites and had a great time. Even my 4yo got in on the action and after some initial nerves on the boat ride, hopped right in the water and saw his first live shark. It was a great afternoon. They pick you up right at Harborside and bring you back at the end of the day in their bright pink & white bus. My only suggestion is to be sure and bring drinks with you on the boat. They have a big cooler to keep them in and after a very hot afternoon and many mouth fulls of salt water, a Diet Coke would have tasted really good.

We also spent some time at Blue Lagoon Island. It leaves from the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal which is just a short walk from Harborside. I did the "Dolphin Swim" with one of my boys and the two older one's did the "Sea Lion Excursion." Both were a huge hit. Unfortunately, my 4yo was not old enough to participate and that did not go over very well. I noticed upon leaving that they offer the opportunity (through their Guest Services desk) to have a photo taken with a dolphin giving you a kiss for less than $20. It was offered three times througout the course of the day and I REALLY wish I had seen that before the trip was over. A picture with the dolphin would have prevented a lot of tears with my youngest and been money well-spent. The encounters were a little pricey and the pictures/videos are not cheap either. Nevertheless, this was a highlight of the trip and I am glad to have come home with both.

Finally a huge shout out to Sandra Ferguson (sexy_sanny@hotmail.com) and her son Wesley. Their taxi service was wonderful and it was so nice to have someone meet us at the airport after our miserable flight delays en route to Nassau. Upon departure, Wesley picked us up at Harborside and returned us to the airport. Check-out days at Harborside (and all the Atlantis hotels) are a little hectic and it was very nice to have Wesley show up right on time and take us on our way.

Would Harborside and Atlantis be my first choice as a vacation desitnation for my husband and I? Probably not. It is huge, crazy and not very relaxing. However, it was perfect for our family. All my boys LOVED it and as I have mentioned, there was something for everyone. Being able to escape the chaos of of larger hotels and return to Harborside was well worth the inconvenience of having to use the shuttles to get around. The cost of the trip was high but if you are on a budget and plan accordingly, you can certainly mitigate some of the expense.

Room Tip: If you want a view, avoid Building 4.
11  Thank K H