“A great family place”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
New York
“A great family place”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My family stayed at the harborside the week after Thanksgiving. We have 2 sons, 8 and 6. The harborside is a great place to stay. It's proximity to the Water park is it's best feature along with the free wristbands you get everyday with your stay. Although the walk to the Royal tower is a good 10 minutes, it's a pretty walk through the marina. There are also regular shuttle buses that are efficient. The Hotel is fine, not luxury but well appointed. The upside to the Harborside is as follows, the location is amazing, it's close to all of the main attractions but also much quieter then the other towers, great for family. The pool is big and has a zero entry for young children. Most of the Bahaman people are wonderful, friendly and very happy! We booked the value meal plan and I am so glad we did. The food is VERY expensive, but the mal plan gave us several dining options, including 2 extensive buffets. The plan is only breakfast and dinner, however, we were able to bring leftovers home to our fridge for lunch and snacking. The plan was a great value! The water park is SO MUCH FUN and the aquarium is really beyond the imagination. We will definitely return as there is so much to do for the entire family. Most of the slides have necessary height restrictions, my 8 year old was fine but my 6 year old was limited in the fast slides he could go on. Truthfully he was fine with it. The restricted slides are tall and fast, he wanted nothing to do with them. And there were plenty of other places for him to enjoy. The downside to the harborside was that I felt we were a little lost as far as customer service goes. There was a wonderful young man at the front desk, I believe his last name is Winston and he just had a baby, his managers should know that he is excellent! Truly exceptional customer service. I was unimpressed with the concierge, as I was printing my return boarding passes, she approached me and apologized for over looking my family all week. She was supposed to contact us with a welcome and never did. Unfortunate for them because we own a Westin timeshare and always attend the seminars. I also think our trip may have been enhanced if she had made an introduction for us at the start of our vacation. There was a rude evening manager, our shower head broke, rusted out on our last night and was truly uncooperative and rude on the phone. The following morning, upon our departure the next manager John was apologetic and rectified the situation. The shower head was not representative of the room we were in. The rooms are nice, just a shower head mishap. The bead and pillows are not heavenly as they are in the other Westin resorts, the bed was fine but the pillows are way to big and don't give. Bad pillows! Otherwise it's a great place to be and we will definitely return.

2 Thank RASG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I recently traveled to the Bahamas to stay at the Atlantis Resorts for a week in November of 2012. The material we read in preparation for the trip did not really prepare us for what we found. The resort is divided into a number of regions based upon the specific complex in which one stays. The various complexes appear to be of differing construction age and further, appear to be designed to accommodate different budgets and/or needs. As such, some complexes are much more plush than others. But, except for the pool area at the adults only complex, all activities and restaurants at each complex are open for use by the residents of the other complexes. A wrist band system is used to allow you to move freely from complex to complex without challenge by the large number security personnel stationed strategically at key access locations to verify persons entering are not interlopers straying onto the property looking to spend a casual afternoon by the pool.

The primary attractions of the resort fall into two categories: 1. water related activities ;and, 2. gambling. As to the first, there is absolutely no way you will struggle to find a place to swim in either a fresh or salt water pool. The majority of the property in the resort seems to be a pool of some type. As to the gambling, it is centered in one primary location and is not the main focus of the resort.

Both my wife and I were pleased with the friendliness of the staff as well as the overall cleanliness and upkeep of the entire resort. That being said, there were some detractions. First, there were constant outdoor “functions” taking place each day at the resort. Each such function caused at least one or more large areas of the resort to be blocked off from our access for the life of the function. I realize the resort makes its money from charging people to use its premises for the functions. But on more than one occasion the blocked off are lay between us and where we were headed. Resultantly we found ourselves being forced to circumnavigate which was no small task considering the vast number of pools and other outdoor aquatic amusements barring a straight path of travel.

There was also several areas closed off by privacy fencing due to what was listed as renovations. Yet, I could not see anything actually under renovation when peering through slits in the fencing. However, there were a couple of aquatic attractions in the older complexes that definitely need renovation but which had no visible repair underway.

The entire resort is located on Paradise Island just across the narrow finger of water separating it from Nassau. Unless you are prepared to cross the bridge to go over to Nassau, you were fairly captive to eating at the resort. While the food at the restaurants in Nassau could be pricey, it was actually pretty cheap compared to the food at the resort restaurants. When eating at any of the numerous restaurants located at the resort we spent as much on a couple of drinks and appetizers as we would usually spend for an entire meal in any of the other large cities we have visited. As such, a couple could easily spend over $500.00 a day in meals without trying. And I am honestly not talking about eating only the type of fare you would expect from the great kitchens of the world. As an example, when we ate at one outdoor location overlooking a series of pools, two sandwiches with drinks and sides were over $70.00 including the forced automatic 15% tip added before the bill was presented. I traditionally tip better than 15% for good service. But the service at every restaurant was anything but fast. Stateside such service would be lucky to garner a 10% tip. I think they force the tip because they suspect they would get little or nothing if they were not working in such an environment.

Overall I would say the trip was enjoyable. I did go diving while there. If not for the diving I would probably downgrade the experience to “a nice time”. I would probably go back to the Bahamas for the diving if for no other reason. Yet there are a lot of other really great places out there to dive. If I did go back to the Bahamas I doubt I would stay at Atlantis as I just did not find the entire experience worth the price. A couple of days at a well designed local water park would be just as nice and a lot cheaper.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank PScott1956
CT
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Two family's went to the Bahamas and stayed at the Atlantis. We rented the condos to fit more people. We had a great time. The condos were very nice and clean. A little pricey to into town for shopping etc, but defiantly worth it. Very nice place to vacation. We plan on going back in 2015 to stay at the new one being built closer to the airport. The water rides are so much fun and my daughter and her friend swam with the dolphins which they said was the best part of the vacation! The boys went on the jet skiis.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 3kids3dogsCt
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We spent thanksgiving on a 4 day cruise, one of the stops was Nassau. In doing research, I learned that there are only a few ways to get passes to Atlantis. I chose to rent a room at Harborside so that we would be guaranteed to get tickets. What an awesome day! It could not have been better. Our ship got in at 7 am and we were over to Harborside by 8 am. We took a taxi because its faster and the ferry is not running yet. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with very, very pleasant check-in staff and we were inform that our room was ready. We had already been informed that check in isn't until 4 so we were prepared to just grab our passes and go. Instead, we quickly dropped our stuff off in our one bedroom deluxe overlooking the water. We took the shuttle over to Atlantis which takes about 5 minutes. Went into the Dig, aquarium, the beaches, and of course, the water park. The weather was great and the lines weren't too bad. Pretty much stayed there until closing. Note, the water park closes at 5 pm so this itinerary may not work for all. Also, it can be expensive if your ship leaves early. Because RCCL does not leave until midnight, it was perfect. After a full day in the sun and sand, we took the shuttle back to Harborside, took showers, and threw some food in the microwave. The teens then walk around the resort, while the adults sat on the balcony facing the water and drank wine until about 9:30. We then went to the check out desk, check out email in the lobby (free), and requested a taxi to return to the ship. The room, although we didn't stay in it, was very clean and spacious. The staff was tremendous. Truly a great day.

Room Tip: We were in 4187. It faces the water.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank kjjesq
Alexandria R, Guest Relations Manager at Atlantis - Harborside Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Lots of cruise ship visitors want to experience Atlantis' waterpark and renting a room at Harborside for the day is a great way to do it, as your review highlights. Thank you for making Harborside a part of your family vacation and we are glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us. As there is so much to experience, we hope to welcome back for another phenomenal stay. But most of all, we appreciate your positive review.
united states
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed at the Harborside resort during Thanksgiving week. I will try to provide as much information as possible because I find that reviews are helpful in helping plan for vacations. The weather was great. It wasn't too hot or too cool, and it we only received small quick showers. The wind made it a little cool some days, but most days it was low 80's. We had only one day where it was too cool to swim or go to the water park. The ocean was really rough the entire week, so we didn't spend much time on the beach. Some days it was so rough, the lifeguards weren't allowing anyone in the ocean.

The Villa
We rented a 1 bedroom deluxe villa in phase II from a owner through redweek.com for a really cheap rate. We were in building 3 facing the courtyard. It was a good view for people watching in the morning while sitting on the balcony. My husband and I shared the bedroom and our 2 kids shared the pullout sofa bed. This unit was more than enough of space for the 4 of us. We requested a corner unit and we were granted this request at check in. The corner units are a little bit larger and they are the only 1 bedroom deluxe units that has a balcony. The villa had a kitchenette and not a full kitchen. However, it is definitely sufficient for preparing small meals like breakfast and snacks. There was a two burner stove, a refrigerator, and a microwave/convection oven. There is a small dining room table that seats four. The villa also has a small washer and dryer. (Note: Bring your on detergent if you plan on washing clothes. We purchased tide travel packs from Target). You are only provided with enough detergent to wash one load of clothes. The villa was clean and most the furnishings and carpet seemed to be in good condition. The elevator was broken when we checked in and it wasn't fixed until the following day. It was no fun carrying 4 pieces of heavy luggage up 4 flights of stairs. Our door lock also was broken one day, but it was fixed within 30 minutes. These are only minor complaints and no way negatively impacted our vacation because the issues were addressed promptly.

The resort grounds were clean and nicely manicured. There was one pool at Harborside, but we didn't utilize the pool on this trip. We received our wristbands and towels from the poolside towel hut at Harborside instead of waiting until we arrived at Atlantis. There was usually no lines or long waits at Harborside. I was disappointed that the villas didn't have wifi, but you are allowed 15 mins per day to use the computers in the lobby area for guests. Wifi is only available near the pool and lobby and it was $20 a day. We mostly used the shuttles to travel to and from the royal towers, and we never waited any longer than 10 minutes for a shuttle. We walked to to Marina Village nightly. This is a nice scenic walk to admire the lovely yachts. They are beautiful at night.

The staff was professional and friendly. I was impressed at the level of service they provided and they all were genuinely nice. This means a lot to us because customer service determines the mood of our vacation. It was nice to see smiling faces and workers with pleasant attitudes after a long day of travel(Delta and Atlanta airport need I say more). Two thumbs up to Deandra at the front desk. She was awesome.

The Atlantis resort was spectacular. The water-parks, the Dig (aquarium), and the beaches were all magnificent. We spent a lot of time at the Atlantis. There is so much to see and do here. I will say its nice to return back to quiet Harborside in a nice spacious villa after visiting Atlantis during the day.

Okay, this is the negative part of my review. Most of the food we ate at the Atlantis and in the Marina village was terrible and super expensive. Fortunately, I did my research before traveling and checked a suitcase of breakfast foods and snacks. I ordered other items from foodstoretogo.com and they delivered it to our room. The lunch items by the pool were reasonable($10-$14 for a combo), but all the food we tried was tasteless and bland. I didn't eat lunch anymore after the first day. Dinner was just as bad. We tried two dinners in the Marina Village and it was awful also. The best meals we had was away from the resorts. We walked to Anthony's. We took a cab to Goldie's one day in the Fish Fry area, and we walked over the bridge one day to Twin Brothers.

We would go back to this resort and recommend to others. It will take a little planning it you are on a budget, but it's well worth it. I will most likely rent a larger unit with a full kitchen next time and prepare more meals since we found it difficult to find food that was reasonably priced and tasted good.

Room Tip: Request a corner suite of you are renting a 1 bedroom deluxe.
10 Thank luv2travel4ever
We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation with us at Harborside and are grateful that you took the time to give our property such an excellent review. Aside from the access to the Atlantis waterpark, the full kitchen is one of the biggest draws for Harborside owners and guests. Once again, we thank you for your review and hope to see again soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We just got back from our first trip to the Bahamas (family of 3). We spent most of our week playing at Atlantis (free access) and we are so glad we stayed at Harborside. This much smaller resort is only a 5 minute shuttle ride to Atlantis and is quieter and much more family oriented. We never saw the rooms at Atlantis but talked to some families that we met there who said they wished they'd known about Harborside when they were making their reservations. The rooms at Harborside are fine but not luxury but the kitchen or kitchenette makes up for it. We had heard from friends that the food is very expensive here and they were right! So we checked a suitcase with food in it - crackers, applesauce, cereal, peanut butter, jelly, protein bars, granola bars, beef jerky, Crystal Light, chocolate milk straws, etc. When we got to the island we had our taxi driver stop at a grocery store on the way to the resort (there is one very nice one just outside the airport) and got milk, bread, water, pop, and fruit. Each day we ate breakfast in our villa, packed sandwiches, drinks and snacks, and headed to Atlantis. Nobody cared that we had our own food and it saved us a ton of money. You can easily spend $50 on lunch for a family. The food that is near most of the pools/slides is just your basic grill food - burgers, chicken nuggets, fries, pop. Nothing special and not only expensive for what you get but doesn't do anything for your health. Then we would take a shuttle back to the villa, clean up, and half the nights we were there we made dinner in the villa and ate by the pool with a gorgeous view of the harbor and cruise ships. The other nights we went back to the marina village, got sandwiches or pizza, and ate at one of the tables looking at the gi-normous yachts and the lights of the Atlantis casino. Most of the restaurants are incredibly loud and crowded and were not relaxing so we preferred to eat outside with beautiful views and the ability to hear each other talk.

Overall, we loved our vacation and can't wait to go back. The reason I gave Harborside 4 stars and not 5 are for the following:
1. The resort is nice but some of the rooms are a little tired and need updating.
2. There is a big difference in the views you get depending on where your room is. The best ones are looking at the harbor, pool, or the casino. If you can't get one of those then try to get anything except one on the side of a building - try for the front of a building.
3. If you stay anything less than 7 nights you don't get any cleaning or towel changes without either asking for towel exchanges or paying extra for cleaning. If you stay 6 nights - no cleaning. But there is a small washer/dryer in each unit so that was great for drying clothes and suits each day. Wish I would have packed some Tide pods though because laundry detergent there was outrageously expensive and the Harborside only gives you one single use box. We

A few other small details - some phones don't work on Paradise Island, so check with your carrier. You can get wi-fi for the week for like $130 or $20 a day, which is the way to go. However, there isn't wi-fi in the rooms, so you have to sit on your deck. It does have a good signal at the pool and at Atlantis. It's the same login access so it's actually better to just do that and then make sure you and your friends/family use something like Google Talk to text over wi-fi since you may not have service. Atlantis is cash-less at all the food places right on the resort. You use your room card to pay for food. Or you can use a credit card but they are strict about checking your ID every place you use a cc. There are also not many lockers there so we didn't bring anything of value to Atlantis each day. No iPad, cell phone, or jewelry/watches. But we also didn't experience any problems or hear of any thefts. It's a very safe area but just so you know you can't depend on a place to lock up your valuables when you're in the water.

Hope that was helpful if you're planning a trip there. It's a beautiful area and the people are very friendly and helpful. Harborside makes it much easier to not blow your budget or waistline and still have the same fun as if you were staying in one of the Atlantis hotels.

Room Tip: Get a view of the harbor, pool, or casino. Corner rooms are good too but avoid the ones on the side...
6 Thank pbnj4eva
Thank you for such a wonderfully positive review. We are glad that we have made such an impression on you that you want to return and vacation with us again. This is the greatest compliment and the one we always hope to receive from our guests. Most of all, thank you for choosing Harborside as your vacation destination.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were so excited for our vacation at Atlantis. we decided on Harborside because of the kitchen. (still wondering were the stove was). Everyone we encounted at the resort was awesome. Our plane was over 3 hours late arriving so our car service was messed up, they dropped us off at the Royal Tower instead of Harborside. Everyone there was very helpful getting us over to the correct check in and getting our luggage delivered. The check in was speedy and efficient and very friendly. Our room was beautiful. We had a view of The marina and Royal Tower ( palm trees were a little obstructive). Housekeeping was excellent. We had a roll a way delivered (not a long wait). The Housekeeping staff checked in with us everyday making sure we had everything we needed. The were very understanding when we were not quite ready for them to clean our room (teenagers). really enjoyed the shuttle to the grocery store. Staff was very helpful getting items to my room. The shuttles to the other parts of Atlantis were very nice. We never had to wait very long. The shuttle drivers were great, and super friendly. Harborside was a quiet setting also. We never even heard our neighbors. I would definitely stay at Harborside again as every staff member we encountered was very pleasant, friendly and professional!! The room was awesome. the beds (including the pull out sofa) were comfortable. did not feel like a hotel at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Briandme1994
We appreciate you taking the time to write this review for Harborside. We are glad and you and your family enjoyed your time at the resort. We hope that you will return soon.