“a great meal enjoyed by joyce and allan h.”
Review of Virgil's Real BBQ

Virgil's Real BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a great meal enjoyed by joyce and allan h.”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

not a big meat eater.asked to see chef(chef fred demers,by the way is a world class chef).he put together fresh vegtables with the best fish ive ever tasted. beer battered onion rings were great.the drinks were great and were refilled at no charge.
we were blown away by the smoked ears of corn,not one kernel was left on the cob.coupled with the more than generous sized servings it was a meal to remember.
thanks to chef fred d. and his wonderful staff

Kentucky
“Good food, not so good service.”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We ate there on Friday night. There were four adults in our group, we didn't have reservations, but were seated within 5 minutes.

The server explained the portions were very large, made to split between 3 people. We split the corn muffins (delicious), and onion rings (ehh...just okay). Two of us had wine, the other two soft drinks.

We then had the pulled chicken, potato salad and grilled veggies. The chicken was delicious and we had enough left over for the next day. Potato salad had a lot of veggies in it and was great. The veggies were very good, but not as plentiful as I would have expected. Again, there was enough from the side dishes to eat the next day too.

Splitting the cost, it was $90 per couple, so a total of $180. They add 15% gratuity automatically. The problem with that, our server NEVER came back after our food was served, until she brought the check. And it was not busy there at all. Normally, we would add to the tip; we did not at Virgil's.

My husband and I tried to go again on Sunday night, one of the two double doors was pulled over at 8:30 pm. He went inside to inquire as to eating there, even at the bar if necessary. The woman at the hostess station was very abrupt and said they were closed. "Due to an emergency,", not sure what that was about. There were many people disappointed that were headed that way. And considering the mini-monsoon that was going on outside, not many people wanted to leave Atlantis to find food.

All in all, it was probably the best deal in Atlantis, considering the amount of food (you can split everything) and the quality was very good. The service was ehhh...

Chalfont, Pennsylvania
“great food”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The food at Virgil's was the best we had there. The service was average just as all service in the Bahamas but the portions were large and the food was delicious.

Visited May 2012
New York City, New York
“Bad Waiters/Bad Food and Overpriced”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I should have know better than to make a reservation at Virgil’s, but when I called for a reservation at Carmines ahead of time they were sold out so the Atlantis Operator suggest Virgil’s as they had plenty of seats. Red Flag one I missed. Second issue before I got there, no 800 number to call restaurant, no way to make reservations on-line and they had a menu on line but no pricing.
But since it was the night of a big milestone birthday and my family wanted to take me to a nice place to eat I booked it anyhow for dinner. .
The restaurant looks nice, even overlooks the pool. Interesting once you sit down many of the seats has partitions blocking view. I guess they want to turn over tables and not have you admiring the view.
Our waiter Delon was rude.. First he took our order extremely quickly, I was basically yelling to him as he ran away I think my wife ordered too much. He kept going and came back two minutes later with a pile of cold ribs and cold chicken, small veggie platter and small order of mashed potatoes. There were enough chicken/ribs to feed 12 people and I was at restaurant with wife and three little girls. I guess he gets 15% of total so his goal was to overcharge us. Food was so so. Ribs were the big fat cheap rips you see on sale at the supermarket, not the tasty baby back ribs. The pile of chicken was cold and the veggie platter and mashed potatoes for table was a small amount of food for price. My wife mentioned it was my birthday. The waiter eventually brings out an extremely tiny cupcake not even frosted for me alone and does not even take the rest of the desert reservation. My wife asks him for a candle, he runs off and never returns, my wife chases him down again and he said no candles, then she asks for a match at least so I have something to blow out, again he is gone, wife chase him again and then he said no matches allowed, also no birthday song allowed or nothing. Wife then orders desert for her and three kids and there I sit with a tiny cupcake while everyone else got big deserts. He did not even ask if we wanted coffee with desert. Then at next table all the waiters gathered around to sing that table Happy Birthday, Really. My wife told our water Delon it was a big milestone birthday and he made it a horrible experience. We left with a $237.48 dollar bill and a ton of cold food I had no use for. In order to be fair I tried to contact restaurant before I published this I was able to email them through Virgils website. I did get a voice mail back from Lamas the Manager and he told me they took some corrective actions to make sure this type of thing does not happen again. He left me a phone number to call him if I wanted but it was a long distance number. I had no desire to run up my phone bill calling the Bahamas and also it is what it is.

Surprisingly , the same company that owns Virgils owns Carmines. I had a reservation there two days later, the meal was excellent, the waitress advised us on right amount to order, they put out a free bread basket and service was good. Go figure. I have no clue why Virgil’s is Family Style. Carmines in New York is family style Virgil’s is not. Virgil’s in New York actually has reasonable prices and gets good reviews. I don’t understand why Virgil’s in Atlantis is so horrible. Hopefully, they go on some reality TV show that specializes in Restaurant Nightmares and get a free makeover.

Toronto, Canada
“Lovin flat hotdogs!”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We had a great time here, decent size meals, very inexpensive for Atlantis, almost everything was under $20!! Good food, great staff! Overall was pretty good!