“Incredibly kind staff but underwhelming spa”

Mandara Spa at Atlantis Paradise Island
More attraction details
Owner description: The resort is located on Paradise Island, near Nassau and features fresh and salt-water pools, lagoons, waterfalls, and a marine habitat. The spa is a 30,000-square-foot facility with 32 private treatment rooms, two couple's villas, and two couple's spa suites with private bathing amenities. There is also a unisex relaxation lounge, a retail area, a salon, and men's and women's locker rooms with warm and cold plunge pools, steam and sauna rooms, and showers, with an aromatherapy room in the women's locker room and a plasma TV in the men's lounge room. Treatments include facials, microdermabrasion, cellulite therapy, teeth whitening services, body scrubs, salt glows, sunburn therapy, manicures, pedicures, makeup applications, hair services, waxing, wraps, bridal services, and therapies for men and children. The spa includes a 15,000-square-foot fitness center offering personal training, body composition analysis, nutrition and fitness analysis, yoga, and Pilates. Ancient techniques from Asia, traditional European spa therapies, and natural spices, fruits and minerals indigenous to The Bahamas meld together to provide the most unique treatments and the ultimate rejuvenating experiences. It is a divine sanctuary that escapes the limits of time. Sumptuous massages, rejuvenating facials, soothing wraps and exotic scrubs headline the roster of tried and true therapies. Brides can prepare for their special day, by spending the day in the spa with one of our many spa packages, in the event time is limited, just have hair, make-up and nails for the bride or bridal party. Advance reservations are recommended.
Reviewed September 27, 2017

Before I get into this, I want to make a point to express how friendly and nice the staff is. I don't blame them for any of the downfalls of this experience.

I took my mother here for what I booked on the phone as a Mother/Daughter massage for a little over $100. I should've known that was too good too be true. When we arrived we were told Mother/Daughter massages were for children under 12 and we would be bumped to a couples massage which is 2.5x more. I explained they didn't tell me that on the phone when I thought it was clear I'm a bit over 12 (Ha!) but oh well. I accepted the charges, we were in desperate need of massages after a long travel day.

I was then told if we were there earlier we could've used the spa facilities but since our massage was ending at their closing time we wouldn't be able to. I explained no one told us that on the phone when I booked so they extended us a slip to come back the next day to spend more time.

We were led to lockers to store our things, given a robe but no slippers til we asked. I understand we were traveling at a slow time so forgetfulness is not a big deal to me personally. We peeked in the spa to see a steam room and not much else, the spa itself is extremely limiting. If I had planned to spend a whole day there, I would be disappointed upon arrival. The spa itself is beautiful and kept up but there really isn't much more to it.

We went up an elevator to our room for the massage and were told it would be light/medium pressure and if we required more it would be an additional $15 charge. The massage was great, the staff again was so nice and did a great job. I felt so relaxed afterwards once the knots in my back were worked out and I forgot about my last minute 2.5x price increase. Haha!

Overall, I think Atlantis needs to update this spa or adjust their prices accordingly. I can sing praise for the staff but not really for the spa itself.

All reviews
"disposable"
"taxes"
"bahamas"

Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

Went to the spa for a blow out.

Nice spa and great service.

They wash and blow dry all at the same station. Very convenient.

I have a Keratin treatment and requested sulfate free shampoo. I was told they did not have sulfate free shampoo, they said they only had one shampoo and conditioner. I found that to be a little odd.

Anyway they did a nice job.

I thought it was quite expensive. Still better then I could do.

I will try again next time.

Reviewed September 12, 2017

My experience was so-so. It is a basic spa with steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and a cold plunge. I booked the $109 special through a weird website they send you to that was difficult to navigate. My friend thought she booked her appt but when we showed up she was not on the schedule. Also when you book the special in fine print the hours are limited and when you book online, the special price does not show. I had to call the spa and confirm that I would receive the special and was told "if it is still effective." So I asked when it would be effective to and was told "whenever the spa decides." When we arrived we were immediately charged the regular price plus an included gratuity of 15% and 7.5% VAT tax and had to show them the special in order for them to change it. My husband gave up his appointment so my friend and I could experience it. You are ushered in and sign a paper saying if you don't return your key you will be charged $50 but there is no key! The signature massage was ok. Even though it is supposed to be customized I was told I would be given a "light to medium" massage. It was more like a swedish massage. In general I feel that when gratuity is included, it affects the quality of the massage. My therapist was very nice. Overall I felt one visit was enough.

Brenda M, Marketing Director at Mandara Spa at Atlantis Paradise Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2017

Dear dolphin-anne,

Thank you for sharing your and your friends Mandara Spa at Atlantis Paradise Island experience. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased you chose our spa therapies.

We understand the frustration for the automatic service charge, this is charge is standard at hotels and across the hospitality industry.

If the service charge information was not conveyed prior the services, we apologize and will look into how we communicate the service charge to our guests so there is a better understanding of all charges.

For us to continue to better our services it is important that guests such as yourself continue to provide feedback. Our Spa Director Youlanda would very much like to discuss your experience with you. If you would like to speak with her, we kindly request you contact her at 242.363.3000.

We look forward to the possibility of hearing from you. We hope you and your friend enjoyed their massage. And we certainly hope you will consider us again for your future spa services.

Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

Had the opportunity to treat my sons 23 and 19 to their first massage. Both enjoyed the spa experience including the steam showers and hot tub. Since it was their first time they did not have any to compare it to. I Personally found the spa to be a bit dated and in need of some maintenance. The massage itself was average. Was a bit disappointed that a resort of this size did not have a higher quality spa. Price was as expected service and quality were mediocre.

1  Thank trinoja0924
Brenda M, Marketing Coordinator at Mandara Spa at Atlantis Paradise Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2017

Hi trinoja0924,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Mandara Spa experience. You have brought to my attention an area of needed focus and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write. We undoubtedly want your Mandara experience to be a memorable one.

We certainly hope you can afford us another opportunity to bring you the relaxation you deserve.

Namaste,
Mandar Spa

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

I've been waxing for 15 years and all over the world. I paid $100 for a Brazilian and had one of the worst experiences. She did not hold the skin when removing the wax and left bruises and pain. She also said she was done and when I looked about 20% of the hair was not waxed. Once home I realized she still didn't get most of that, so had to complete it on my own.

Nice facilities, but terrible service and massively overpriced.

Hi Gaeli,

Thank you for sharing your Mandara Spa experience.

I’m sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory experience and wish to extend our apologies. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.  We take our guest feedback seriously and I can assure you that I have looked into the issues you kindly brought to our attention. At Mandara, we do strive to uphold the highest levels of service and I must apologize for falling short of that goal.

Our Spa Director Youlanda is interested in speaking with you should you wish to have a conversation with her. Your feedback is invaluable and will assist us in our continued growth and development. She can be reached at 242-363-3000.

We hope you afford us the opportunity to bring you the relaxation you deserve.

Namaste