“Ridiculous Policy!!”

Mandara Spa at Atlantis Paradise Island
More attraction details
Owner description: The resort is located on Paradise Island, near Nassau and features fresh and salt-water pools, lagoons, waterfalls, and a marine habitat. The spa is a 30,000-square-foot facility with 32 private treatment rooms, two couple's villas, and two couple's spa suites with private bathing amenities. There is also a unisex relaxation lounge, a retail area, a salon, and men's and women's locker rooms with warm and cold plunge pools, steam and sauna rooms, and showers, with an aromatherapy room in the women's locker room and a plasma TV in the men's lounge room. Treatments include facials, microdermabrasion, cellulite therapy, teeth whitening services, body scrubs, salt glows, sunburn therapy, manicures, pedicures, makeup applications, hair services, waxing, wraps, bridal services, and therapies for men and children. The spa includes a 15,000-square-foot fitness center offering personal training, body composition analysis, nutrition and fitness analysis, yoga, and Pilates. Ancient techniques from Asia, traditional European spa therapies, and natural spices, fruits and minerals indigenous to The Bahamas meld together to provide the most unique treatments and the ultimate rejuvenating experiences. It is a divine sanctuary that escapes the limits of time. Sumptuous massages, rejuvenating facials, soothing wraps and exotic scrubs headline the roster of tried and true therapies. Brides can prepare for their special day, by spending the day in the spa with one of our many spa packages, in the event time is limited, just have hair, make-up and nails for the bride or bridal party. Advance reservations are recommended.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have been travelling to the Atantis for many years. The Mandara Spa has gone thru many changes over time - removal of the amazing thalosotherapy pool which was amazing. The most ridiculous policy of late is that women are not able to choose a male therapist for their massages. There is no spa in the world that has this ridiculous prohibition. Of course, men can select either a male or female therapist. Isn't this gender bias? According to rumours, this policy evolved because a guest chose to have an inappropriate experience with her male therapist. I am still not sure why Mandara feels that all of their female guests will behave in this manner, but it is completely insulting. Once I have paid for a service, I expect to be able to select the most competent therapist not be subjected to some ludicrous policy enforced by someone with a limited focus. I will never go there again, but this just to advise women who are looking to have the best massage experience with the most competent therapist that this will not be available because of your gender. Wake up, Mandara! This is not the Dark Ages. You should not punish entire gender because of one bad experience.

3  Thank mercy29

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Let me start with a few positives...the overall facilities are quite nice--very well decorated, relaxing music and clean. Unfortunately, the whirpool/jacuzzi was out of order, although it looked quite nice.

I had three services: the Pro-Collagen Quartz Lift facial was quite nice and by far displayed the expertise of the technician. Very relaxing and well done.

The second service was the Balinese Massage...and it was Not. As a note, I have been to Bali and Indonesia several times and base this on previous experience! None of the traditional acupressure or pressure points were included, nor were was there even a suggestion that the technician was familiar with these pressure points. This service was basically rubbing oil into the skin repeatedly with a limited massage component. Further, the "head massage" is not supposed to be a "head scratch." There was absolutely no massage involved, and as was the case with the body massage, she clearly had no idea whatsoever on proper technique. This was nothing more than swirling my hair around into knots.

The last service was the Reflexology....and this showed even less experience and knowledge than the massage. Also, I have had Reflexology before, including in Asia.The technician clearly had no idea what to do. Not a single pressure point or technique used in Reflexology was applied....ever. This was not even a decent foot massage, just rubbing in gobs of oil !!!
My little niece does a far better job.

Overall this was an Absolutely Disappointing experience. Worse, there is a 20 percent gratuity automatically applied to all services....no opting out.

The staff needs to be properly trained before they expect return customers.

2  Thank ozdc
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My overall rating was 9/10, with my massage rating being a 9.5/10. My husband's was an overall 6/10, with his massage being an 8/10. The average of our overall ratings is 7.5/10. The women's area was very clean, and they gave me a tour, and took me upstairs before my treatment. The men's area was clean, except for the hot tub, and my husband didn't get a tour or get old how to get upstairs to wait for his treatment. He was just told to go and wandered around until he found it. Even when he arrived in he lounge, he was not greeted or told where to go. The massage therapists we had were very friendly and helpful, though they should be trained to ask prior to the treatments if people have medical or other needs they should be aware of before starting. They did tell us to let them know if anything hurt.

We paid for our treatments in advance.

I was very pleased with the overall experience and would go back.

You can see my full review on my blog at http://spaandresortreview.blogspot.com/

1  Thank Nicki S
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very beautiful setting, staff was friendly and massage was great...very relaxing. Get a service that's $99 or more and get to use the gym for a nice pre massage workout and the wall rock climbing too. You also get to use the waters which is nice to relax in before the massage. I did a workout, then waters then a massage.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've visited many spas before; but it was a first for my husband. We each had a 50-minute massage in a couples room. The facility was very relaxing and well-equipped for a luxury spa experience. The price ($125 pp + $25 tip pp) was comparably priced to past spas I've visited for similar services. We both walked away completely relaxed and were disappointed when we tried to book a repeat visit the following day but found they were fully booked.

1  Thank Natalie S