“People with Disabilities, PLEASE Read This”

The Beach at Atlantis
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed December 12, 2006

I waited to retire to go on this trip and after reading some of the reviews, I almost didn’t go. Let me address some misconceptions, this will be long try and read it through.

1) “Not recommended for the disabled or elderly” Not so, I do admit there is a lot of walking to get from one location to another. If you are disabled or elderly try to get moved to the Royal or Coral Towers (just not on the 2nd or 3rd floors of the Coral Towers, you won’t get a view and you’ll want something to look at if you’re not up to going out.) I am disabled and was moved from the Beach Tower (long walk to just about everything) to The Coral Towers. Ask the receptionist to move you and let them know that you are disabled; they will offer you a handicapped room if you feel you need one. They will do their best to accommodate you. You may or may not have to pay more per night. My receptionist told me that if I’d take 2 Queen Beds instead of the King I could have a room in the Coral Towers without an additional charge. I did tip her $30.00. The 1st room I was assigned was large and beautiful but right over the corridor and a waterslide. I could see more of what was happening in the Library than anywhere else. I immediately called guest services and got assigned to a similar room on the 7th floor with a spectacular view of the Royal Towers, Mayan slide, and the ocean. Sophia from Guest Services took me up to the room herself and made sure I was going to be okay there. She also told me that a company provides 3 and 4 wheels scooters for the disabled at $45.00 a day and that one could be delivered to my room the very next morning! There are ramps and/or elevators for the handicapped.

Sophia and all the Guest Services staff became an invaluable resource during our stay. They made dinner reservations, told us which restaurants would be open that day for breakfast, lunch, dinner (not all restaurants open everyday) and their dress codes. They’ll lend out umbrellas and a wheel chair if needed for short periods. Even if you have the room you want, make going to Guest Services one of your first stops. Pick up the Atlantean from their counter; it will let you know what events are planned for the next several days. Get a map and put it in your beach bag.

2) “Staff is rude” We were a party of 5; none of us was treated rudely at any time. Everyone greeted us warmly and with a smile. When you come in there is a group of that will try to get you to buy a time share. Politely let them know you are not interested, if you’re not. They will still ask you every time they see you but will not annoy you, remember that they are just doing their job.

We did get asked at several locations to show our guest card, this can be easily remedied by getting a wrist band every day at the towel concession near any pool or beach area. BTW the food concession stands will only take a room or credit card for drinks and food. If you use a credit card, be prepared to show some other type of ID with a signature on it.

3) “Everything is overpriced and gratuity is added on” yes, you will pay dearly for everything in Atlantis because everything is brought in from somewhere else. My suggestion: leave the premises, shop at the mini-mall where Anthony’s is located. OR go downtown and bring back basic things like water, juices, and snacks. If you stay within the confines your best bet is the buffet meals. The Water’s Edge has an incredible breakfast buffet for 19.99 per person. They also have a dinner buffet that I did not partake in. Seagrapes has a dinner buffet for about 40.00 pp. If these prices sound high, trust me they are not. At The Marina, Johnny Rockets is a 50s style malt shop with sandwiches, burgers and shakes. We had most of our evening meals at Bimini Road, the food and service were always good. No real dress code here, casual was fine.

Treat yourself to at least one high end dinner as another writer suggested. We went to The Seafire Steakhouse, where I had the most generous, delicious Prime Rib I’ve ever eaten. The menu shows items A la Carte but if you order a steak it will come with a serving of crispy string fried potatoes and arrugula. That, along with the generous cuts they serve will make it impossible to eat the mashed potatoes (delicious) and any vegetables you may have ordered. At both Bimini Road and Seafire, leave room for dessert. Seafire has a dress code but we saw many people there in regular street clothes, call first to verify or ask Guest Services.

One last thing, if you need a cab, get one with a yellow plate! They are the legit ones and will charge only what they are allowed to (usually $4.00 per head or other pre-set price).

Do not let a disability deter you from this trip, you will enjoy it.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18  Thank Elly56
Write a ReviewReviews (3,924)

Reviewed December 10, 2006

My wife and I spent 6 days at the Atlantis Hotel the first week of December. We stayed in the Coral Towers with a view of the Marina. The Royal Towers are the exclusive towers with a magnificent lobby. The hotel property is magnificently maintained. The gardens, walkways, pools and grounds are superb. The marine life (50,000 species) is kept in a variety of pools, lakes, and aquariums. The staff is constantly sweeping, painting and cleaning the property. The staff is also extremely courteous and concerned about your stay and always ask if you need anything. The five restaurants we ate in for dinner were four and five star. We included the Gourmet Food Plan with our stay. The Seafire Steakhouse was our favorite with Fathoms coming in at a close second. The dinners are very expensive (take the meal plan if you want to fine dine). There is a less expensive meal plan (MAP) with more casual restaurant options. The lazy river is a hoot as well as tubing through the predator shark aquarium!!! A must do vacation, if only one time. The Ocean Club Golf Course is magnificent but pricey at $225 for a round.

Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank emquad46
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Atlantis has a reputation for being the nicest resort in the Bahamas. Not so. I've stayed at two other resorts that were a lot more accommodating with nicer rooms (the Marriott in Nassau and the Wyndham in Freeport) and for half the cost. We stayed in the Coral Towers which resembled a rundown, outdated version of a Super 8 Motel. For the rates they charge and the reputation this resort has, we expected well appointed rooms.
Upon check in, we were met with a rude woman. All that came out of her mouth was "no". We had booked many months in advance and asked for two rooms, high floor, king bed non smoking. We got 3rd floor and two double (not queen, even) beds. We asked if they could comply with our requests she said NO. No apology, no explanation. Just NO. We asked if the room had a fridge, she said we could rent one for $15 a day. This again, is Atlantis, the most expensive, supposedly classy resort in the Bahamas. The nickel and diming went on from there. We got to our musty room and we were further disappointed. The bathroom had a hole in the ceiling and there was rot and mildew everywhere. There was a hairdryer that I think may have been the first hairdryer ever invented. It was like a vacuum hose that burned your hand as you held it if it took you more than 15 seconds to dry your hair. The safety lock on our door was broken and glued back into place. The decor was extremely tacky and did not match. We had a terrace with no chairs or table...but it didn't matter anyway since the terrace overlooked another building. In short, the room was dump.
I read many of the reviews and it seems people were more preoccupied with the cost of everything to even notice how awful their accommodations were. It is true; it is extremely expensive there. But here is the kicker...when we got our final bill there were many undisclosed charges on it. In addition to room taxes, you pay a one time bellman fee of $13. You pay a pool charge fee of $1.50 per person PER DAY. You pay a $20 PER DAY fee called "gratuity". Mind you, everything you buy already has a 15% gratuity factored into it. When we went to dispute the charges, you can guess what the answer was...NO. We told them we never even used the bellman, didn’t matter. We also told them we didn't want to pay a $20 per day gratuity. After all, gratuity is something you are at will to pay. Not at Atlantis though, they mandate it, even after you had been bled your entire stay by them with such outrageous prices and built in gratuities. It is disgusting that such a "classy" place nickels and dimes you and treats you like you don't matter. Will we ever return to the Atlantits? The answer is NO.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
23  Thank fleamd
Reviewed December 9, 2006

I was a little nervous about staying at the Atlantis after reading several mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. My fiancee and I (40 M & 29 F, respectively) arrived on Saturday Dec 2 and stayed for a week in the Coral Towers Garden Terrace Room 2424. We arrived at 3 pm and our room was ready. However when I asked for a map of the resort the front desk clerk told me to go to a side desk where I was given a map and a salespitch for a timeshare/condo on the property. This was annoying and other people have mentioned these sales pitches on Tripadvisor. We had these sales-vultures approach us on several occasions when we passed through the lobby.

The Coral Towers are centrally located and our room was a good size and nicely furnished. The sheets and bedding were of superior quality and there were extra pillows in the closet. The room also had a safe. The bathroom was a bit of a disappointment. The sink and shower fixtures were dated and the shower could have been cleaner. The hairdryer was one of those wall mounted antiques from the 80's (bring your own the electricity is the same as in the USA). Overall the bed/living area of the room was nice, so we didn't think about the bathroom too much. Also our room did NOT have the musty smell that some people have reported on this forum.

All the employees, bartenders, maids, service people were very nice. Everyone always greeted us in the hallways and asked how our stay was.

The property is large. There is something for everyone. Shopping, waterslides, a "lazy river", several pools, restaurants, a movie theater, casino etc. There are lagoons with sharks, stingrays, and various other sea-creatures that we didn't even know existed throughout the landscape. The Dig is also a must -see--lot's of sea creatures there!

The swimming pools all close at 5 pm. It did seem that all the hottubs were shut down for "repairs"--in fact we did not see any functioning hot-tubs..

We spent alot of time on the beach. You can get drink service from the Atlantis or from the independent guys selling drinks in real coconuts. The Atlantis drinks are basically slurpees (corn syrup, food coloring and ice w/ a little cheap booze ( 8 dollars for a pina colada and you can charge to your room ). I would get the drinks from the independent guys--10 dollars (cash only) for a drink in a real coconut and much better!---So bring some cash to the beach.

The water was great and there are towels and beach chairs provided. Vendors walk up to you to push their necklaces, hairbraiding, baskets etc...a polite "no thanks" gets them moving along.

The Atlantis could use a decent nightclub. Club Rush is for teenagers up to age 17 only. There is a bar and small dance floor in a part of the casino called Dragons. It is free to guests and 30 dollars to non-guests. There was some good dance music there and it was lively on Friday night. However a resort on the scale of the Atlantis should have a real nightclub. (Try the Green Parrot across the street in the Hurricane Hole Plaza for some good nightlife)

We did not try any restaurants at the Atlantis because they were all overpriced. We went across the street to the Hurricane Hole Plaza for breakfast (around 10 dollars a person for waffles, eggs & coffee versus 15 dollars for just an omellete at Murrays at the Atlantis) For dinners we went across the bridge to the Poop Deck (great Bahamian seafood place--even met some nice locals there). Another good restaurant was an Italian place called Luciano's of Chicago just across the bridge on Bay Street. Luciano's of Chicago had excellent entrees in the 20-30 dollar range. The atmosphere was of a top restaurant --very elegant and on the water too! I highly recommend these two restaurants. There is also an Outback steak house across the bridge, but we didn't eat there so I can't comment on it.

I recommend getting off the property and exploring Nassau. Downtown is very touristy--lots of jewelry stores, etc. Try the Ardastra Zoo or the Bacardi Rum Factory. Since my fiancee and I like to experience local "culture" and are adventurous, we hopped on a local bus ( only 1 dollar) and rode around on Nassau. We saw how the locals live....it's a good way to see the island on the cheap! Everyone on is really nice---the locals always great each other with a warm good morning or evening!

Overall we had a nice experience at the Atlantis. However, we wouldn't go back for two reasons: 1. because we are the type of people who like to experience new places & things and 2. it was expensive. We don't regret spending the money on this trip and felt that it was worth it, but next time we want to see something different .

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank Bedhog
Reviewed December 7, 2006

My wife and I and our 9 and 5 year old daughters visited the Atlantis property from Nov 30 - Dec 5. The property is incredible with more to see and do than you can in 6 days. Instead of repeating what you have already read in the other reviews, I thought I would share some tips to make your trip better:

For $30.00 you can take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. We took the free shuttle on the way in, and with all the stops at the Cable Beach resorts, it took well over an hour to get to Atlantis. On the way home we took a taxi (Lincoln Towne Car), and it took a mere 20 minutes in comfort to get to the airport. You will appreciate the quick trip especially if you had a long flight.

When you check in, smile and be polite, and then ask for a upgrade if possible on your room. We were supposed to be in a waterview (not ocean) romm in the beach towers, and without hesitation, were upgraded to a Villa between the Beach and Coral Towers. The Villas are more private and you get 2 queen beds instead of 2 doubles. You also get a free fridge in your room so you don't have to rent one for $15.00 a day.

If you like to drink, and don't want to spend $6.00 to $15.00 a drink, simply pack a collapsible cooler, and after check-in, walk out the front of the resort to the Marketplace just down the street (its across the street from the Marina Villiage), and there are 2 duty free liquor stores. A case of beer is about 35 dollars, and you can get bottles of rum etc. for about 12 dollars. It is perfectly acceptable to bring you own drinks to the pool or beach. Everyone does it, so if you are ok with that you can save big bucks over the course of your stay.)

The meal plans do not seem worth it, considering it would have cost us about 1200.00 for the 6 day plan. We spent a total of 1500.00 over the six days, and that includes everything from top of the line restaraunts to all alchohol and tips.

There are many nice places to eat in the hotel (Bahamian Club, Nobu, Mama Loos, Fathoms, etc), but they can be very pricy. The next step down in price (not quality) is the Marina Village. It's just a few hundred yards walk from the entrance of the Coral Towers. Some choices there are (Bimini Road, Seafire Steakhouse, Carmines and Johnny Rockets). There are also many places to choose from just over the bridge in Nassau. It only costs about $15.00 round trip in the taxi, and can easily save you $75.00 for a family of 4. All in all the cost of food is comparible to any nice beach resort in the states and cheaper than Disney was.

If you are not staying in the Royal Towers, and you have kids, walk down to the water slide pools there. They have 5 really nice water slides and some little ones for the kiddies. I was surprised, but there were really No lines, and the resort was crowded.

If you have kids, between the Coral Towers and Beach Towers, next to the lazy river, are several water habitats that are really neat to see. One has about 10 nice size nurse sharks. Every morning but Monday, between 8:00 and 9:00, they feed the sharks, fish, rays and turtles. It's really not advertised like the big aquarium at the water slides. My girls got to actually touch the sharks as you can stand rigfht with the feeder at the edge of the water. He will put the fish on the ledge and sharks actually come out of the water. It's a neat experience for the kids.

My last piece of advice, open your mind and have fun. If you have any problems, just dial 38 on you room phone and within 1 hour, they will fix anything or get you what you need. I tested this service several times and was very pleased!!!!!!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: December 2006
17  Thank Dan00
Reviewed December 6, 2006

Four of us just returned from staying in the Coral Towers of the Atlantis. The negative reviews were a concern before we arrived, but we did not experience any problems worth mentioning. We had a wonderful time, and all of us would return. We had decided before arrival that we would eat small meals, and there were several choices for moderately priced food. Anthony's, off-property, was one place we enjoyed, both for the friendliness of staff and quality of food. The Atlas Grill inside the Casino was another good place for lunch. The property was clean and beautifully landscaped. The staff was very gracious and friendly. If you know about the timeshare people when you go there, just keep your distance and they do not bother you. Get to the beach in the morning. For those who had numerous complaints, all I can say is, you are on an island, things are a little different there. We hope you go with an open mind, and enjoy!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank DaleCat
Reviewed December 5, 2006

Just returned from the Atlantis--having stayed in the Beach Towers--with my husband and two boys (12 and 9 years). Having been at the Atlantis five years ago without children, we returned when the boys were old enough to enjoy....and DID THEY EVER! And yes, the resort is pricey but on par with what you would spend at Disney.

The Beach Towers is located closest to the ocean...and for beach lovers this is prime location. Rooms are average...if possible, get an upgrade to the ocean side as it will add to your stay. We had to "tip" $20 to the concierge on two separate occasions to get this done...but it worked and was worth the $40. Remember...you are not really there for the rooms.

The property is exquisite...something you will never experience again based on the size and scope. The pools are very nice, though jammed packed. My advice, head to the beach and venture into the pools as you'd like.

Food...yes, everything is expensive with the quality ok. For those watching pennies...visit Anthony's in the plaza outside the Atlantis. For a really fun time all around, Bimini Road in Marina Village is very nice. Do not miss the Carnivale parade in December that runs in the village at 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Bottom line...resort is outrageous with its activities and amenities and well worth a trip. Once in a lifetime is probably enough. Great for kids as they will never run out of things to do. If you don't have disposable income, this is probably not the experience for you.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family