“Bad room nice pools”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Sarasota, Florida
“Bad room nice pools”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed at Beach tower. The room was old and smeller bad. High moisture in the hotel and in the rooms. The carpet smelled.
Due to visible fungus in the room we hot another room somewhat better.
Despite high price there were no fridge nor coffee machine in the room.
We had an International dining plan. On Olives however it was not possible to book a table the whole week. It was fully booked the day we came for the whole week. Pools were nice, but loud music on many of them, even pools for children. Aquariums were great. Food also good.

Room Tip: Bach tower: Seventh floor better Thank fifth floor. Many smoking rooms. They tried to force us to ta...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

1 Thank Aslak L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Returned 4-19-14 - First I agree the food is way over priced but I knew that going in. The staff where friendly to my family, however we where friendly to them (funny how that works). The rooms are average but we only slept there (comfortable beds). The grounds where well maintained as well as the pools. My daughters 10 and 12 felt very secure exploring alone as long as they where together. The key I think was being prepared and bringing certain things such as snacks, blender, insulated thermos, and cups. We made smoothies in the room for the girls and rum drinks for us. Across from harbor village is a small grocery store and liquor store for supplies.
We stayed in the beach tower and had access to everything so not sure about the comment stating couldn't access other pools.
We won't return but it's only based on the fact that we saw it and now will find another destination for next years vacation.

Room Tip: If you want a view get a beach side room or all you'll see is the roof of the convention center.
4 Thank KJSHARRER
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Will never come back to any of these places. Everything way overpriced they make you pay for everything from the moment you get in. Security guards block you from entering other areas of pools because you are staying in the wrong tower. Sorry but there is nothing good about this place. Will never come back. Highly don't recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014
9 Thank Pilota4re

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Menifee, California
Reviewed April 19, 2014

As others have said this was an incredibly beautiful hotel with a water park and aquatic exhibits to envy. We expected sky high prices on incidentals and were prepared, although they did hit the stratosphere. $7 for an ice cream bar, $25 for small sunscreen, $155 to wait your turn to be photographed with a dolphin. We had budgeted lots and didn't blink.....very hard, anyway.

But their underhanded tactics on every way they could cheat you simply took your breath away.

We had booked this trip through the Auto Club/Pleasant Holidays and received, as always, some activity coupons as part of the package. We have used them many times before without a problem at other hotels. Atlantis refused to honor $150 worth of credits saying that they were not good because we did not have our Auto Club card with us and that we were there during a "black out" period. (It was not crowded.) We let it go because we didn't want to ruin our vacation with bad feelings.

On our first day we needed to rent WiFi time ($21.95 per day) to reach family back home. We used it once and made it clear upon purchase it was a one day use only. Halfway through our stay we checked our bill and noticed they were charging us for it every day. We called and someone kindly removed two false charges. But they didn't stop charging us for it. On check out we showed our bill to the clerk and told her there was yet ANOTHER charge for WiFi that we did not use and it needed to be removed. She refused to do so, and with thinly veiled hostility told us of course we had used it or it would not be on the bill.

Seriously, we have spent thousands for a short stay at the Atlantis and we are trying to cheat them out of $21.95? We were stunned. We asked for a manager, she said none was available. This left a really bad taste in our mouths and was the final straw. What we originally thought of as gentle misunderstandings began to appear as calculated dishonesty.

When we arrived home we emailed the hotel and did not receive the courtesy of a reply.

We would not stay here again.!

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room is don't stay at the Atlantis.
10 Thank Anne H
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was stayed in the Beach Tower for 2nights as part of a conference group. My business paid most of my costs so that was good as I could not believe then number of " hidden" costs due to incidentals that I noted on check out. My room had a nice view over the ocean, but you can tell it was an older building. I received no assistance by a bellhop on checking but still had to pay $6 at check out, even when I tried to tell the woman I carried my own luggage. If I had known there were automatic charges to the room I would not have left a tip for my housekeeping. Also wifi was $29 per day plus 15 hook up, whatever that means. Since our meetings went to 5 pm each day, we could not use the pool which closed at 5. The food was only mediocre at the meetings. The only breakfast places that we could find were buffet and very over priced for what we would want to eat, so bought coffee and muffin at Starbucks in hotel. I did enjoy walking on the beach and through the aquarium area. If you want to spend, it seemed to have plenty of entertainment for kids. I do not enjoy Casinos, so that area did not appeal to me. My biggest disappointment, however, was that the charged my credit card twice and when they credited it back it was at a lower exchange rate so their error cost me $26. I complained by email when I saw my credit card bill to the hotel quality assurance group and they have never responded. Very poor customer service. I rated this place 2 only because of the beach and aquarium.

Room Tip: Ask for beach view and do not stay in the Beach tower.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Karen B
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I give this hotel a 2 star rating. If I was just rating it for beauty and attractions it would be a 5 star but you should expect alot of surprises when coming to the Atlantis.

Suprise #1:While checking in they told me I needed to put a deposit of $150 a day so $750 for my 5 night stay on a credit card at first I was thinking how could i spend that much....dont worry you will, there is no arguing it and if you do you will not win....

Nowhere at the Atlantis do they acccept cash (except the casino!) Which is nice and has everything but poker.

Every single spot at the Atlantis has built in gratuity of 15% no matter where your eating, the pool side bar or the ben and jerrys ice cream spot. !5% for scooping my 9 dollar ice cream cone was pretty outlandish. The breakfast buffet with tip was 58 bucks at seagrapes and 64 at the buffet by the casino. Very easy to spend $200 a day on food for just 2 people. I could not imagine if we brought our kids with us. I promise you if you bring a family of 5 your food will be more expensive than the airfare or the hotel itself on a daily basis. Absolutley insane! By the way if you want internet it is only $21.95 a day!

To save money on food take a taxi to where the cruise ships come in you will spend 5 bucks a person on the cab but most definitely cut your meal costs in half.

The rooms at the beach tower were not very well kept. We got a good deal so I wasnt expecting the Taj Majal but it was definitely dated and obviously older. That being said the beds were very comfortable so I was happy about that!

Once you get past the raking you over the hot coals on everything you can think of let me tell you what you will like. The grounds are beautiful. The beaches are well kept and clean with amazing white sand and crystal clear water and you will be offered everything from drugs to parasailing and wave runners. We did do the wave runners which were $70 for a half hour or $140 for an hour and the price will change from when you are first approached til you walk over the wave runners.
The pools are awesome (although the pool by the beachtower was shut down for a couple hours because someone pooped yes you read that right pooped in the pool.)
The lazy rivers, the watersides and all the other outdoor attractions were really nice. As you walk along the paths you will see everything from turtles to hammerhead sharks and stingrays.

We did do the Dolphin Cay experience. They make it seem like you will have alot of interaction with the dolphins but all you do is give the dolphin a quick kiss and get a photo and then hold it for one more photo. My wife and I did it and it was $155 bucks each. Not worth it for a total of 25 seconds of dolphin interaction. We wanted to buy the photo but it is $70 bucks a picture or $129 for the package of 5 photos. We decided it wasnt worth it!

After all of my ranting the truth is I would go back only if I was bringing my 3 kids because I know they would love it. As a couple I will never go back to this place but if your bringing children I am sure it would be memorable. HAve a cab take you to a grocery store and drop a few bucks on fod there is a small fridge in the room.

A majority of the waiters and waitresses were extremely nice and friendly so that is definitely a plus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bob S
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Sorry, but this place is a letdown. Its so super expensive that I couldn't get past that part. $7 for a bottle of water, $9 for 8 pieces of fruit, $58 for lunch for 4 of hamburgers and hot dogs, and my biggest disappointment, $22 per day for wifi. Never again will we come to Atlantis. We have spoken to many guests that are all in agreement.

Right next door is the Comfort Suites, who Atlantis bought the beach rights from, so also get access to all of outdoor Atlantis, for under $200 per night. Free wifi and free breakfast. Winner. Would never come back. $6.95 for a large bag of pretzels......actually cant wait to check out. People are wonderful and place is beautiful, but half of it is closed and more than half of the people you see walking around are staff. We are here prime time in April, the weather is fantastic and the beaches are beautiful, but all of the beaches in Nassau are beautiful. If u can do without the water park and the aquariums, stay in Nassau and come here for a day.

Room Tip: Royal tower is way too crowded, coral tower is the main in and out hub, beach tower is quietest but...
11 Thank Kim E
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!