“Rude, Unhelpful Staff - Overrated/Overpriced!!”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I visited the resort during a cruise intending to attend the waterpark and the sea lion encounter. After arriving at the hotel at 11:30 am with 4 children aged 4-6 and my mother in her late 60's, I asked for directions to a restaurant for lunch. I was first directed down a very long hall-way to another section of the hotel to a group of restaurants. I was then told by the hostess of the restaurant that they only served breakfast and the only place to get lunch was outside. There was construction at the closest entrance, so we were directed to follow the hallway back and then outside to follow a path and cave to the restaurant. After walking all that way, the restaurant was completely closed and I was accosted by a staff member telling me that I had to pay to get to this part of the resort. I attempted to explain that I was sent there, but she continued to just tell me that I had to leave. I then asked for a manager and again explained that I just was sent back and forth to find lunch for my kids. She finally explained that the only place to eat was in the Marina and instead of simply escorting us through the pool area so that my kids and mom would not have to make the long trip back, instisted that we walk the entire way back. Then on our way - again accosted by another staff member telling us we had to pay to be in the area we were in. I have no problem paying with services/amenities offered by the hotel. We intended to purchase services at the hotel; we just wanted to feed the kids first. As a Florida resident, traveling to the Bahamas is very inexpensive and easy. If we had enjoyed our time there; I would have happily returned for a weekend stay. After the rudeness and complete unwillingness to take responsibility for their staff's mistakes and allow us to walk through a pool area - NEVER!!!!!!!

10  Thank Ruby D
Write a ReviewReviews (3,879)

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I traveled with my 2 young children (1 and 4) to meet family and we had a great time. There was plenty for us to do with small children and it worked well being able to park at one of the splash pad areas while other family members went on waterslides etc. The days were full between the waterparks and aquariums as the property is huge (bring a stroller). The Beach Tower is not the nicest place I've stayed but we were only in the room to sleep at night. The food is expensive and nothing special (although we went to the casual dining restaurants). Because I was traveling with kids we brought breakfast foods and left them in the fridge. The staff was always friendly to us. We'd go back again.

2  Thank AndreaFiji
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We just returned from a trip to Atlantis from 3/19/14- 3/23/14. We were originally scheduled to stay through 3/25/14 but decided to leave early. I can barely begin to describe my disappointment with the entire stay at Atlantis "resort". To begin, when I booked the trip, I asked the Atlantis customer service agent what would be the best room/suite for my family of 5 (I have 3 children ages 7,2 and 1). She suggested we stay at the Coral towers, as this is a centrally located tower. Unfortunately, the only rooms available there at the time were terrace view but I went ahead and booked anyway, thinking that I'm sure the rooms had to be beautiful considering the cost ($342/per night).

When we arrived we were given a room on the ground floor (room 2315) with no view but that of an overgrown garden which completely obstructed any sunlight. Additionally the room reminded me of a room at a Howard Johnson...old, musty, cheesy decor. I couldn't believe that I had spent so much to stay in such a horrible (and did i mention TINY) room. Also, because the room is on the first floor, it was a main hall leading to and from the pool area, high traffic and very noisy. Bear in mind I have young children.

My husband called to have our room changed or upgraded (we would have paid for an upgrade) and were then shown to a room on the 4th floor (4315) and told this was our only option as the whole resort was sold out. We took this room primarily because it got sun and the view of the overgrown garden was slightly better.

Other than the marginally better view, this room was atrocious and downright gross. Apart from being tiny, and obviously not well maintained or updated, the overall cleanliness of this room was clearly lacking. Our bathroom had black hairs from a previous guest all over the floors, walls and counter, the faucet handle leaked, the under rim of the sink was black moldy and the mirror and furniture had finger smudges.

The staff of the hotel always passed the buck when asked very simple questions and we were usually passed to at least three people before we could get any type of answer.

Besides being completely overpriced, the food in the restaurants we ate at (Bimini Road, Marketplace) was not very good. The only exception to this being Nobu and Carmine's.

Overall I'd say that I'm was extremely disappointed in our stay at Atlantis and will not be going back. If you are planning a trip to the Bahamas, wait until December when Baha Mar opens.

• Stayed: March 2014
10  Thank Legallybij77
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Okay. Atlantis is a huge property with 5 different hotels. Priceline uses a bait-and-switch with the picture of the hotel that's actually different than the hotel they book you in. For instance, my reservation had a photo of the Royal Atlantis - but in small print, I was actually booked in the Beach Tower. The staff at Atlantis said it was my problem, and that I should take it up with Priceline. No need, that was the first and last time I'll ever use Priceline.

The Beach Tower is a dump. Rusty fixtures in the bathroom. Dirty carpet. Sticky shower curtain. Elevators that make very strange noises and are super slow.

I ended up spending about $500 per night (without meals) - and would have felt cheated at $200. Internet is $22 per day. There's a $75 resort fee that is a total scam. Taxes and extras on a $345 dollar room came to $150 per night.

To be entirely honest, I don't understand the appeal of the place at all. It's like a giant theme park at 10x the price. It was very crowded; so I imagine there's some appeal to a certain group of people.

The food was good (but expensive) and the employees were generally helpful and courteous.

If you do go there. Stay in the Cove or Royal hotels. However, I can think of a dozen other way better places to go for $1000 per night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
9  Thank amtann
Reviewed March 21, 2014

After literally just getting home from a trip to Nassau, I have to say: DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE. The service was horrendous, we were treated very poorly, and much of the (male) staff was extremely rude. When we arrived, we were charged additional fees on top of the $1000, for utilities, a bellman (who helped once), pool staff, daily access to the beach, and additional charges for the wifi ($20) and gym ($15) per day... which begs the question, what was the thousand dollars for?! Not to mention these charges weresz explained to us using a calculator and a paper pad, severely undermining their legitimacy, and we were all charged different prices for seemingly unaccountable reasons. The food was, for the most part, heinous and extremely overpriced. A drink and a sandwich generally game to around $35 for lunch. The water bottles in the room were $7, and out of the room were $8.50. The beach tower itself was clearly turn of the century architecture, and looked very cheesy. They are out to rob you for ALL you are worth for service and hotel quality that is extremely below par. Not to mention, the lobby smells like straight poop, for lack of a much more appropriate word.

Room Tip: If you are below the 9th floor (which, might I add, is the top floor) you will probably be looking o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Adeecee
Reviewed March 16, 2014

First the good: The waterpark itself is wonderful. Probably the finest lazy river there is in the world. Beach is also top notch. Breakfast buffet at Seagrapes was pricey but the food was quite good. Most staff members were also very polite and friendly. IMHO, the good ends right there.

Value for money: this has to be at the bottom end of resorts. I stayed in the "budget" building in this complex and for 2 rooms for 3 nights, it was still $3K. This was for 2 rooms that you would not distinguish from any Super 8 and had a view of the cement roof and ventilation pipes. That's the start. For absolutely every single other thing it is an extra charge. $9 to rent the smallest locker there is at the waterpark, $7 for a bottle of Dasani in the room. $21 for internet per day. I could go on and on and on. I won't be back and for anyone that does any amount of traveling at all, they will instantly realize the very low value for money that this resort offers.

10  Thank crazylegs0664
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband and myself had the misfortune of staying here overnight due to our flight being delayed overnight. The room that we had was filthy, dust, hairs, crumbs and rather nasty looking staining on the carpet not to mention the grubby walls. The bathroom was just as bad if not worse, there were hairs (short curly ones) all over the bath and floor as well as long dark hairs on the tiles above the bath - it clearly hadn't been cleaned! The TV appeared not to be working until on further investigation we realised that the plug had not been fully pushed in (perhaps a money making trick - call reception to complain and they send someone to check and fix which will cost you the expected 'tip') The public area of the hotel is very smelly and smoky and noisy. The Olives restaurant was smoky on account of it being in the casino (it was the only restaurant that was open when we were there) and the food was so over salted it was inedible - I'm aware that this is a fairly common practice to make you buy more to drink, but this was way over the top! This hotel is an absolute hell hole, dirty noisy smoky and seedy - I don't know how it can be described as 'family friendly! - Never again!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!