“Locker theft at Aqua Park”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Locker theft at Aqua Park”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Myself and my husband were guests on a cruise chip which docked at Nassau. As a birthday present, he bought tickets for the Atlantis Restort Aqua Park. At approximately 10.30am were bought the locker via credit card and was issued with a wrist band. After a ride on the lazy river my husband realised that his wrist band was missing. We then notifed one of the Locker Room attendents who asked us where we lost the key and if we didn't find it by the end of the day we would be fined 50 dollars. She then told us to go back to the lazy river and ask the lifeguards if anyone had handed in the key. We went around the lazy river twice asking every lifeguard but to no avail. By 1pm we went back to speak with another locker attendant and asked him to open the locker and by that stage my bag had gone with our passports, credit card, wallet, camera and ipad. We had to go to the local police station to report the theft while the security team at the resort checked the surveillance cameras. To cut a long story short, after returning to the ship my bag had been found with the money and credit card taken but because the passports were reported stolen the British Consulate had to cancel them. Eventually we got home to Northern Ireland (thank god) especially with the help of dedicated staff of guest services of the Carnival Sensation.

Looking back now whenever we initially notified the locker attendant that our key was missing she should have checked the locker immediately to see if the contents were still there instead of sending us away to look the key ourselves. Now I am not going to run down the water park as I didn't get the chance to use it much but it did look beautiful but what should have been a once in a lifetime experience turned into a day sheer hell.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank 611Marie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Lafayette, California
Reviewed November 16, 2013

First, I will say the grounds of this hotel are beautiful as is the lobby. The rooms, however are very tired. Our clock had been ripped out of the wall, actually looked like the wires were cut and it was replaced on our third day. Our sink was backed up the wakeup service called us 45 minutes late and the rooms are hastily cleaned. We found paper under the dresser, etc.
The place is outrageously expensive, $20.00 per day for wi-fi, $5.00 plus tax for a muffin. The casino is very smoky and you have to walk through it to get to the shops.
Lastly we had lunch at Pisces on the beach and it was completely inedible, cold, greasy, tasteless, and more than $25.00. Worst meal ever and we travel often.

Room Tip: I would ask for a lower floor although your view will not be as nice. It is so large that the elevat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Carolyn S
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed on the wonderful Paradise Island in October. There were some events that occurred which tainted my stay. Please understand that my 2 year old daughter and I enjoyed the beautiful property but were not made to feel like we were very welcomed on your facilities.

To begin we arrived to Coral Towers around 10:30am at which time I had no expectation of our room being ready however it was. I have a stroller, 2 bags and a toddler in tow and I get to the bell desk with my room number and am asked if I need someone to bring the one suitcase to my Beach Tower accommodations. What a ridiculous question. I obviously needed help at arrival or I would have taken it from the cab myself. We arrive to our room and the door is wide open with a housekeeping manager inspecting the room. I work in the hospitality field so I completely understood that somewhere the wires were crossed and I should not have been sent up to the room. The manager assured me it was fine to enter ( I believe she apologized). She did not leave immediately in fact she continued to inspect as we marveled at the view. I then open the minibar to get some water only to find a half open bottle of water in the fridge. Walking around I notice the room is dusty, strange considering it was passed for us to check in. After I call to inform the desk of the open Dasani we start to clean up from our hours of travel only to find hair on the shower walls. Hair shavings, not a strand, like if someone was shaving and hit the razor against the wall. Then a stained pillow case and bath mat. Considering I had just arrived and heard such marvelous things I was appalled at the standard of your housekeeping. I alert the front desk via telephone and head out to explore the property. Upon returning, I attempt to turn on the lamp in the far corner of the room and it falls over. I have to prop it up on the table. What is happening here??? I once again call the desk feeling like a pesky guest. Apologies extended and promises of all issues to be fixed upon my return from dinner. Nope, the lamp is still leaned over. Funny enough I have a voicemail asking if everything was ok with the lamp. I requested it be fixed the next day.

Day 2-I wanted to take my 2 year old to “Splashers” and I read there is a shuttle that is available every half hour. I head to the front door and ask how long for the next shuttle to which I am told the kids water park area is a five min walk (from coral towers) and there was no need to take the shuttle. Also I need to get to a desk and tell them what I want and not let them talk me into anything more as well as obtain wrist bands. I am confused as I thought a hotel guest does not need these things. On my way to exit I run into another employee and my mind tells me to ask the same question. This gentleman gives roughly the same response so I ask “even if I am a guest?” He says “Oh no your staying here?” His entire demeanor towards myself and toddler changes. But notes that I SHOULD have told the door man I was a guest…he never asked. We start on our trek which I am sorry, I do not think even without my toddler would have taken me 5 minutes. Every now and again upon seeing an employee I am asked for my room key, which I did not see many others doing. Once again strange. At the end of the night I let the front desk agent know of these small issues I had just to let someone be aware. I wish I had asked her name, I believe her name tag said Sweeting. She was so pleasant and clearly well trained at empathizing and service recovery.

Day 3- We want a quick something for breakfast. I looked up something called Voyagers. As I step off the elevator the attendant gave me directions. After the most unnecessary long walk Voyagers is closed. I say the walk was unnecessary because I had ventured over there the first day and there was a much quicker way to arrive at that destination. I speak to the concierge and she tells me “It’s BEEN closed why would he send you here? I am so sorry for that” I wish I had gotten her name (very short hair and average height) she was very nice as well and offered options for my daughter and I. I decided to walk back over to the elevators and inform the gentleman since he was more unaware of the property than I was. He gave a nervous smile upon hearing his error and barley uttered an apology for wasting my time.

At some point I called for the minibar to be replenished and was informed that they are removing the minibars from the Coral Towers so she would see if someone could come in the morning. The entire stay it was never refilled.

Everywhere my daughter and I went on property asked for a room key yet no one saw it necessary to let us know that we should get wrist bands so they wouldn't stop us. I assumed the people I was seeing with wrist bands had been the visitors not the other way around. I wasn't until the day before I was leaving that I was told this. Which clearly now was pointless. I also wanted to say thank you to Julian who assisted us with directions after more faulty information. Also Edward from day 1 was very helpful, friendly and always knew what I was talking about and where to send me. Edward seemed to be the only person who recognized us walking around the property. I decided to stop asking for help as it was only causing me more trouble and disappointment in my experience. One ridiculous time in Royal Towers ready to see the amazing underwater ruins and we are directed to an elevator. Upon entering and pressing buttons nothing lit up and it did not move. I assume we are in the wrong lift. I walk a little further and run into an employee which asked me if I pressed the button. I pressed all buttons…I know how to work a lift!

Coming from a hotel background I am dismayed at the customer service and lack of attention to cleanliness on your property. You can clearly see that if the assumption is you are not a hotel guest I do not need to show you kindness. If I were alone maybe I would have been upset but not as caring. Being that I was with my toddler on her first international trip and this is how we were treated on a so called luxury property was a slap in the face. I would have rather taken her to Miami and been treated like royalty in a budget hotel.

I emailed the department I was told is "dedicated" to guest issues and I have yet to receive any type of response. What a way to make me want to return...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
15 Thank Crystal S

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Ontario
Reviewed November 11, 2013

we stayed at Atlantis the last week of October ...it was our third time there. It was our 20th wedding anniversary and my husband went out of his way to make it a special trip. We enjoyed the usual things like great dining and the dig. Beach is amazing. Avoid Johnny Rockets if you want a quiet meal, way too loud. A little disappointed that a few of the restaurants were closed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay up until the second last day. I was on the rapid river ride,....I have been on this ride many times before,...I was in a double tube with my daughter making sure all parts of my body were tucked in. A wave hit us and we were thrown up against the concrete wall,....my husband and daughter dragged me out of the pool, i hit my head very hard...I received first aid (ice) and rested awhile. I was DONE. We flew home the next day,...I have been to the doctor I have a concussion. I have contacted Atlantis and reported that I was injured. Unfortunately after a few emails back and forth I feel like I have been forgotten about! 3 weeks later I am still in a lot of pain and is going to a pain clinic now. Be very careful on the ride it is dangerous!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank angandchrisOntario
Long Beach, California
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed in July 2013 for a week and from the moment I arrived i was amazed. food was great. great service. Aquaventure was a lot of fun. enjoyed the dig. didn't get to snorkel the ruins but i went snorkeling off the coast of Nassau, which was awesome. beach was perfect with soft white sand and clear tuquoise water.

Would I come back someday?
Yes!!! Definately!!!

Room Tip: beach tower is the cheapest hotel in the Atlantis resort. book the package with a refund in case of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Adrian M
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2013

i wish there is an option of minus 5 stars. this place is a joke and waste of money. A run down smelly hallways leads you to Murry deli!!! are you kidding me, Murry is turing in his grave, the worst food and very very expensive. Drug dealer on there beaches and all kind of shady characters selling weed/smoke, smoke, like walking in Washington Square Park, NYC. the staff are really laid back, i dont know maybe weather and too much sun ,but the only way they will move if they see the $$$$$. Never again Atlantis....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank abemimi
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've stayed here twice in 2011 for a birthday/wedding planning and the actual wedding. Once in mid April for 3 nights and another in late August.

This place is "luxury." I was lucky enough to be part of the wedding family and the room stay was paid for. With that being said, I still spent over $1200 in 4 days. This doesn't include any money won or spent at the casino. If I had not won any money, I could have easily spent over $2500.

After a good night (first night) at the tables, I offered to cover dinner since, hell, they paid for my expensive suite. 6 guests, 2-3 drinks each, and burgers and fries...$750 including gratuity. I cam in to this dinner hoping to exhaust no more than half of my accrued chip stack but ended up going all in and out of pocket.

The following days and nights were basically the same experience with my winnings supporting lunch and dinner. I personally never went below the amount I started with. The dealers (blackjack) were some of the most helpful dealers I've ever met. I wasn't always so inebriated while gambling, but the advice given and chance to reneg my call was always given.

The food was exceptional, but in my opinion, not worth what they've charged. There is a variety of places to eat with TOP CHEFs on the roster (like actual Top Chef or Iron Chef winners/contestants).

The rooms were really something else. Top notch and I really wouldn't expect anything less since it's a younger upscale resort. If I didn't have to get out of bed, I could have laid on that thing forever.

The waterpark was nothing to get too crazy about, but it was still very fun, especially if your lucky enough to have a day without the cruise guests crowing the place. I suggest bringing beach shoes if your stay is in the summer, unless the ground is always that hot, then bring them just in case. Don't miss the mayan pyramid water slide, it shoots you right through the shark tank for a glorious 5 second view.

Again, I suggest only staying at the resort if you have the cash flow to have a good time. To save money on the rooms, I've heard the Marriott or whichever the hotel is right across the street from the resort's gate also gives you access to the casino and waterpark.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!