“Final word on Atlantis Resort and Casino”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Westport, CT
Reviewed March 22, 2004

I hope many of you who intend on vacationing in the Bahamas read this posting. Forget about all of the negative reviews this site has accumulated. I intend to set the record straight.

First of all, I have been to the Atlantis Hotel well over 20 times in the past 8 years. I have traveled with only my wife, with my family of 9, including children who were 2 years old on their first visit and are now 10, and with groups of 12 adults. Each and every time the experience was not only wonderful, but seems to get better with every visit. I will do my best in describing all facets of the hotel as best I can as well as giving some helpful advice if anyone cares to use it.

I have stayed in rooms in every tower, including the villas in the middle of the property. Each tower has its possitives as well as its negatives.

The Beach Tower is an older building that has been recently remodeled.
It has the least expensive rooms available. They are simple rooms with simple accomodations. They are clean and are closer to the beach, river pool, and childrens pool. In the Beach Tower you will find the Seagrapes Buffett, a few shops, bars and lounges. It is also the tower closest to the comedy club, movie theater, and the childrens/teen club.
A long coridor connects the Beach Tower to the Coral Towers. It is in this coridor will you will find some of the higher end restaurants, such as the Bahamian Club, Mama Loos chinese restaurant and the italian restaurant Viile Este.

The Coral Towers is where you find the medium priced rooms. There is a nice bar and lounge area in the lobby as well as a library with free internet access, free book rentals and board games. The tower is centrally located in the resort and it is a short walk to all the ammenities available. The Coral towers has a pool that is wonderful for adults, as it doesnt become overly crowded with children. The Coral Towers has a wing attatched called the Reef Wing. It is only 4 floors and is the closest hotel to the beach. All you do is go to the end of the coridor, down to the first floor and out the door and you are steps away from the sand. I highly recomend this hotel area if you love the beach and have children. The Coral Towers is also where you will find the childrens Discovery Camp. It's a great place for mom and dad to bring the kids when they want some alone time. The camp has wonderful educational programs and activities, provides lunch or dinner included in the cost. The children are well taken care of by friendly and experienced staff. This can be expensive. If my memory is correct, it will cost $60 per child for 4 hours. The Coral Towers connects to the casino and shopping arcade through yet another coridor. You are now entering the newest part of the resort.

At the other end of the casino and through another shopping area is where you will find the Royal Towers. A beautiful upper lobby with incredible paintings and art work and marble tile and spectacular decore is a site to enjoy. The Royal Towers is the most expensive area in the resort to stay. There are 2 towers, an east and west. Both have very nice rooms with great bathrooms and tubs and ammenities. It is in the Royal Towers where you will find some higher priced restaurants such as, The Cafe at the Great Hall of Waters(lower lobby), Fathoms(entrance is outsideside on lower level in the Dig) as well as a wonderful, yet somewhat expensive buffett, The Market Place. There are a number of bars and lounges throughout the tower where coffee and breakfast pastries are sold in the morning as well as sandwiches in the afternoon.

The casino is beautiful, complete with glass sculptures and chandaliers. Plenty of slot machines and table games are available. In the casino you will also find the Five Twins restaurant(expensive and worth it), the Atlas Bar and Grill( least expensive with a menu that can please all, including a childrens menu). Also in the casino is the disco with DJ music. The Royal Tower coridors is where you will find access to the Marina and Murrays Deli and the icecream shop(all on the lower level, with an outside entrance). Murrays has a deli menu with great sandwiches and dinners as well as one of the only places to get breakfast from a menu(recommended if you dont want a buffett breakfast). Also in the Royal Towers is where the there is an entrance to the Dig( the lost city of Atlantis with aqariums and artifacts from the Atlantians). Okay, enough about the rooms and towers. How about the resort.

The resort has activities for all to enjoy. A river ride and pools/childrens pool are near the Beach Tower, surrounded by lagoons and pools of water animals. The Coral Towers has a pool, smaller water slides as well as lagoons and pools of animals. The Royal Towers is by far the hub of activity. The Suncrest pools(great for adults) and a lagoon with a beach, and water activities, such as, peddal boats, floats and much more. The Temple pool has the larger,faster water slides as well as slides for smaller children. There is a great childrens pool on the backside of the temple. Also on the backside of the temple is where you will find the paths to the health club, sports center(tennis courts) and a miniature golf course( $18 a round I believe). The health club is great with suanas, steam room, whirlpool and outdoor lap pool. In between the east and west Royal Towers is where you can find the spa. Also in the Royal Towers area is where the Dig is. A watery wonderland of all kinds of ocean wild life and Atlantis artifacts set in an archilogical discovery of the Lost Empire of Atlantis. You feel as you are Indiana Jones on one of his discoveries.

All of the pools have activities run by staff throughout the day.
Activities such as trivia games, bingo and really fun group games and contests. I recommend you pick up a copy of the Fish Bites Newsletter to see whats going on and where for the day. These are available in all the lobbies and other locations. There are great little bars and snack bars and carts are all over the resort. Great places to pick up a hot dog or hamburger or even some Conch Fritters, sodas, etc.

There are beach activities gallore wich cost extra and are nut run by Atlantis. Vendors strool down the beach offering banana boat rides, jet skis, parasailing rides as well as boat trips for scuba and snorkeling.
Something I highly recommend is getting one of the fresh coconut drinks offered by men selling them on the beach. I think they are $5 to $7 with $3 refills. There is nothing more tropical then sitting on the warm beach drinking one of these cool rum filled cocktails. Heck, take your drink into the water with you and enjoy the experience.

Now for some other things. I have never experienced rude or bothered staff. The men and women who work on the property have always been friendly, helpful, kind and courtious. Always with a smile and a "hello". Security is great with security guards posted throughout to make sure only guests are on the property. I have never seen one of the towel hutches ever run out of towels. My rooms have never been dirty on arrival and maid service is prompt. remember, there are over 2000 rooms so you cant expect your room to be cleaned an hour after you leave.
Check in can be busy and can take some time. Your room may not be available until 4pm, but that is what they say in any resort. Food may seem expensive to some but in any resort you pay a premium, so dont be surprised. There are ways to cut costs.

Here are some hints I have learned over the years and I hope they help.
Pack one bathing suit and lotions in a carry on so when you check in and your room isnt ready, you can change in one of the changing rooms, check your baggage at the bell desk and then enjoy the beach or pool.
It also helps to pack the essentials in your carry on just in case the airlines lose your luggage. Bring an inexpensive blow up raft for the water. The towel hutches will blow it up for you and then just pass it off to another guest when your vacation is over. Bring a suitcase filled with your own snack, especially if you have children. Go across the street to shopping center and buy your water. Why pay $6 for a bottle of water on site when you can take a short walk and buy it for less than $2. Bring your own travel coffee maker and coffee, that way you dont have to walk down to the lobby in the morning for that am pick me up. I dont recommend the meal plans because of the cost. If you dont need huge meals at every seating I dont see the point. For example...coffee(if you dont bring your own) and a muffin is maybe $10.
Lunch at one of the pools side snack bars would cost $12 for hamburger, fries and a soda. Dinner at Murrays Deli or the Atlis bar and Grill can cost from $10 for a hamburger to not much more than $20 for a complete dinner. Even pizza from Pizza hut can be delivered to the lobby in the tower your staying. But you get my point, if money is a concern, there are ways to keep the food costs down while still enjoying each meal.
The buffetts are good though Seagrapes is good for families with children, the Market Plce is much much better with a much better selection from sushi to Belgium waffles with icecream and hot fudge.
Other restaurants will run around $75 for 2, up to $200 or more for 2.
I recommend trying Dune at the Ocean Club(shuttle provided).

Well, I know I have not included everything, not even close, but I hope this has helped. I cant say enough about this resort. A beautiful hotel, wonderful activities, wonderful people in a wonderful tropical setting. Feel free to e-mail any questions you may have. I will try to help if I can. I have already booked a 7 night stay for June and will be going again in August(best time actually, water is warm and pools are warm but beware of the jelly fish)

46  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Boston, Mass
Reviewed March 21, 2004

I went for a vacation to the Atlantis Hotel and fell inlove with the surroundings. For kids it a paridise, for parents, they can gamble, swim, jetski, parasail, and much more. If you are thinking about going to the Atlantis Hotel, don't think anymore, BUY THE DARN TICKETS! Take a chance, you won't be sorry.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed March 20, 2004

The Atlantis is beautiful, but waaay overpriced for the rooms. There is no balcany to enjoy the great ocean & pool views. I could never get a reservation at any of the acclaimed restaurants without pulling some strings. PLAN AHEAD! The beaches are beautiful, however and the staff is very nice. Plan on bringing your platinum card with you though, its expensive!!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2004

My wife and I went here to get away from it all and found ourself at a beautiful 5 star resort. The beach was great the food I have to say could hold it's own anywhere in NY the casino was wonderful and farly large you really don't get that in the carribean. all in all we had a wonderful time. The hotel is pretty expensive so bring a nice size knot this is not the $5.99 buffet breakfast at the local Howard Johnsons.

2  Thank Islandhopper
Lucas, Ohio
Reviewed March 19, 2004

We visited the Atlantis in January of 2003 for 8 nights. We were very disappointed with this resort. We have traveled to many carribean islands and this was the worst we had ever experienced. If you weren't in the new tower, it was just like staying at any "hotel." The staff was very rude and not all that accomodating and we didn't feel welcomed. We don't expect much, but a little smile and welcome would have been nice. The weather was very cold and I'm sure this didn't help with our review of the hotel. I understand that there was a cold front going through, but come on, are telling me a place like that can't afford to HEAT their swimming pools. The entire stay, they were too cold to even get your feet into them. Our young daughters, 3 and 4 at the time, cried when we made them get in. I just don't understand that part of it. The man-made islannd is wonderful and it sheltered us from some of the cold, but still the ocean was even cold. Hot tubs were not even warm let alone hot (we can even heat our hot tubs in Ohio and get in them when it's snowing!) The water slides were alot of fun, but you have to climb alot to get to them. I don't recall any "kids camp." Again, the staff was very rude and didn't really care if you got that extra towel or not. I would not suggest going here because it is far too expensive for what you get. The physical structure and architecture of the grounds is definitley worth seeing. I would suggest just stopping by on a cruise to visit for the day or stay at that other inexpensive hotel that gets Atlantis priviliges. I think it's the Days Inn. The only real neat thing from this vacation was that Oprah's magazine was there doing a swimsuit make-over and I signed up, was chosen, and then I appeared in the May 2003 issue. Never expected that.
That was the last day there and it was sunny. All in all, we wouldn't go back unless we were guaranteed warm weather so that we could at least swim. You may email for additional questions or info.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 16, 2004

Once you get over the fact that Atlantis is overpriced (at least for the rooms) you will have a vacation of a lifetime!

I stayed in the Royal Towers. It is a very basic room with a small balcony and you pay a lot to get this room.

However, the resort itself is fabulous! I had one of the greatest trips that I have ever had. The food is wonderful and I highly recommend getting the meal plan (it will save you a good deal of money). There is so much to see and do that I did not even see it all in my seven nights. The pools and beach are beautiful. I think that I probably had a drink at nearly every bar and club on the property and everyone was good. The comedy club was a fun experiece too!

Make sure you stop next door at the Ocean Club for dinner at the Dune.
I have eaten at many fine places but this one was of the best. It is one of Oprah's favorite places.

Also, if you like to party, make sure to visit Club Waterloo on a Saturday night. Very fun. The Dolphin encounter was also a worthwhile side trip.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2004

Our family travels frequently and were very dissapointed with Atlantis.
Our room was dirty. There were holes in our sheets, shoes under our bed and black dirt on the bathroom tile. The room had dust all along the baseboard and the furniture was in need of repair. The staff was unfriendly and everything had a price tag on it. I found most of the public areas very nice. The beach area was great. Overall I think there are far superior hotels in the Caribbean that offer great service, food and accommodations. Everything you look for in a vacation.

2  Thank pengins
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!