“Atlantis...Everything i thought it would be”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Denver, Colorado
“Atlantis...Everything i thought it would be”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have always wanted to stay at Atlantis and finally got the chance to a couple of weeks ago. My husband and I planned a trip that consisted of 5 nights at the Sheraton and 2 nights at Atlantis. This was a SUPER budget trip for us. We were able to pay for the Sheraton with points, but I watched deals like a hawk for the Atlantis portion of the trip. With how expensive it is, I didn't want to blow our budget with just two nights. With that said, I scored a deal and got an "island view room" at the Beach Towers.

Since we only had two nights, we wanted to make every second count at the Atlantis. We left the Sheraton at 10:30 am and arrived at the Coral Towers (where to check in for the Beach Towers) at approximately 11:00 am. One look at the check in desk and I groaned. There were TONS of people. It was almost culture shock since we had just spent 5 glorious relaxing days at the Sheraton with zero crowds. However, I was very impressed with how quickly the line moved. Since we were there 4 hours before official check in times, I wasn't expecting a room to be ready. I just wanted to find out where the "transit area" was, so that we could store our bags and change into our swimsuits so we could play. However, to my surprise a room was not only ready, but it was a water view as well. We were very impressed with the view. It was heaven.

The bed in the room was so comfortable. Even with a very painful sunburn I was able to sleep comfortably. The room did have a funky smell that beach properties tend to have, but I would forget about it and not notice it pretty quickly. I've stayed in a small budget motel in Hawaii and a private beach front condo in St. Thomas and they have all had that funky smell. No biggie.

The resort is amazing and almost overwhelming. There is just soooooo much to see and do. We could have walked around the resort for days just gazing at the fish, sharks, turtles, rays, etc. My husband got a real kick out of the rope bridge that was over the lagoon that housed the hammerhead sharks.

The first day we were there, we just pool hopped. I really wanted to go to the grotto pool because of how cool it looked on the website. It was definitely neat, but soooo crowded as it seemed to be more in the center of the action. We had a blast on the Current and went around on the loop of that several times. Hands down my favorite pool was the River Pool. Not nearly as crowded as the other pools and was connected to the Lazy River. I could have stayed in this pool all day everyday. The second day we pool hopped some more and went down the Serpent Slide. It was SO fun. I wasn't too fond of the last little bit when you're going through tunnels surrounded by sharks, but it was still fun.

The food at the cafes around the resort is decent enough. It's expensive, like we expected, but not as expensive as I thought it would be. Having already been in the Bahamas for 5 days by the time we got to Atlantis, we had eaten at Fish Fry almost every day and were craving something other than fish. The pizza at the small cafes hit the spot. It seemed outrageous to be spending $10 for a drink, 1 slice of pizza, and fries....but when you consider you're in the Bahamas and the slice of pizza is HUGE, it almost seems like a budget meal.

For the fine dining, we ate at Mesa Grill once. I'm a huge fan of Bobby Flay, so this was a must for me. Loved it! The view from the restaurant is so beautiful, as is The Reef (or is it the Cove...can't remember) where Mesa Grill is located. The other night we ate at a steak restaurant in the Marina. I don't know if it was because I loved Mesa Grill so much, but this place just seemed so so and was actually more expensive than Mesa Grill.

The Marina is SUCH a fun place to be at night. The music, people, steel drum players, all just create the most wonderful ambiance. My husband and I were in awe of the yachts docked at the marina. Holy money batman. Truly amazing.

Overall, our experience was great and we really don't have any complaints. Sure, there were hiccups along the way, but we are pretty laid back/casual travelers. We're the type that would be as thrilled to be camping on a beach than we would sleeping in the Ritz. Basically, we're not picky.

A tip to get around quicker...If you are staying at the Beach Towers and want to get to the heart of the water park quickly, walk along the walkway by the beach. SO much quicker than navigating your way through the park.

If we were to go back, just the two of us, we'd definitely stay at the Sheraton. It's just more us...low key/laid back. However, if we went back with family/friends, we'd be open to staying at Atlantis again. There is really something for everyone there!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jsdragonfly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Michigan, North Dakota
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I read the some good comments in tripadvisor and advertisements on TV and I thought it was a good place to relax for a few days. WHAT A MISTAKE! The restaurants are just fast food places. The staff is the rudest I have met. I spoke to many guests and they all had the same opinion about the staff. The pools are good, but very crowded, especially on weekends with the people coming from the cruises. It is not worth the money you pay. It was not what I expected. They are very far from what they claim they are. I travel a lot and I have never seen anything like this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Heather T

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

miami
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Too crowded. Too expensive. Some restaurants are not included in the All-inclusive plan, check on this before you go. There are better places in the U.S. as far as water park, food, rooms, SERVICE, etc. The so-called water park is just a few water slides. Most of the staff members are very rude, it looks like they are not there to provide any kind of service. After 2 days, there is nothing interesting to do. My kids got bored and I feel I wasted my money going there.

6 Thank Ann R
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just got back from a 6 day trip to celebrate a destination wedding at the Atlantis. Not as impressive as it looks on tv but still beautiful.

The Good
1) The Cove - We stayed in the Beach Towers but some of the wedding party was in The Royal Towers. The rooms on that side are better. I visited The Cove and it was GORGEOUS. The adult pool is amazing with beds and nice canopies, loud club music, and tables with live dealers located by the pool. It is like a Vegas style pool party - very cool vibe for younger, single people who enjoy a good party.

2) There are a ton of pools and water attractions. You can go to a different pool everyday and the lagoon inside the hotel grounds is really cool. You get the real ocean water and beach area to hang out in but inside the hotel property. The waterslides are plentiful and fun to ride. There is a Rapid River ride, which is like a lazy river but with waves and stronger current. One of my favorites there! The pools also have DJs there and they play a lot of popular music and hip hop.

3) Marine Habitat - There are different areas that have big pools with different marine animals in it. On the Beach Tower side, there is a sting ray area that the SeaGrapes restaurant overlooks. You can watch them swimming while having breakfast. There is also sea turtle area on that side as well. Near the Royal towers, there are all kinds of animals, sharks, sawtooth fish, sting rays, colorfish fish, etc.. Very impressive the way it's laid out.

4) Dolphin Cay - We had a dolphin interaction and it was wonderful. The trainers are all very nice and do a great job with the dolphins. We were able to kiss, hug, and pet the dolphin. She had a lot of personality and did a flip she wasn't supposed to do. They called her a diva.

The Bad
1) The Beach Tower - Not very kept up, seemed old and more like a 3 star hotel I would stay in at Myrtle Beach. There are 3 slow elevators there, with the middle one being psychodelic. It would close but not go to the floor you press, so you had to get out and board another one. The elevators also bumped hard and just felt like old, old elevators. The bathroom had dirty, black grout on the bottom. It didn't seem clean at all. The tv didn't work and the door didn't lock when you closed it. You had to put a key in it to lock it back, which I have never done elsewhere before. We called for help, and they didn't fix the tv until a day later, and even then, it was showing duplicate, grainy images. The door guy fixed it that evening, but the next day, it was doing the same thing. I called for blankets and they transferred me 3x and didn't bring them until the next day. The room was very unimpressive so it was a good thing the view was nice from the 7th floor.
2) The Prices - REEEEEEDICULOUS!!!! You get nickel and dimed and EVERYTHING is expensive. You get nothing for free except for beach towels and air, as another guest said. The water there is nasty tasting, so you have to get bottled water for $4 or so each. If you get the meal plan, it doesn't come with bottled water. If that is all you drink like me, you are going to be running up a huge bill. Wifi is $20 a day and doesn't work everywhere. All meals are expensive and the food is not even that good. The buffet is the same thing everyday.

The UGLY
1) THE STAFF - TERRIBLE.. I cannot overstate how terrible most of the staff is. Rudest people I have ever encountered. They act very entitled, angry, and treat you like you are inconveniencing them even when they are there in a service role. With all the money you are spending, you would expect a little better service. I get better service by the local McDonalds by my house! The casino staff is the WORST. I just sat down at the casino and wanted to watch the table for a few spins at the Roulette table. They wanted me to move if I wasn't playing right away, so I put $ on the table to get some chips, they kept telling me to move if I wasn't playing. I said I am, here's my $ and she acted like she didn't want to accept it. For NO reason, nothing to provoke such attitude. Overall, they are super slow at all restaurants, very rude, and they need a serious service overhaul. Atlantis is like the water Disneyworld or Las Vegas for kids but the service doesn't even compare to those places. EMBARRASSING. Several other vacationers there complained about the service as well.For that reason alone, I'd rather go somewhere else.

2) The casino - Small compared to Vegas casinos and poorly run. Dealers for the most part are VERY rude and act angry. Some were very pleasant and I like the pit boss, Julian. He sounds like Austin Powers and is very good natured, but everyone else - ugh. Not nice.

TIPS
1) The Meal Plan: I wish I had forgone the meal plan. So not worth it unless you are a huge eater and need appetizer, entree, and dessert every time you eat. It only includes breakfast and dinner. It is about $25 for buffet breakfast and dinner varies. Buffet dinner is about $50 and at the restaurants, you pay around $30-$60 on entrees. Salads are about $20 or so. The value meal plan is $80 a day and the higher one is $130 a day. If I were to go back, I would definitely NOT do the meal plan. You can go to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts or across the street to order an egg sandwich for less than $5, for lunch, you can buy bread and peanut butter for less than $10, bottled water for $3.50 for 50 oz., and for dinner, go to the Point where entrees are $25 or so for sandwiches, pasta, etc.. I don't eat huge meals like that and felt like I had to stuff myself to get the value of it. Also, they add 15% gratuity for your meal plan for the value of your food. Guess that's why the service sucks so badly. I could have easily eaten for under $40 a day.

2) The Comfort Inn - It is right beside the Beach Tower (less than 1 minute walk) and comes with priviledges to Atlantis, has free wi-fi, and free breakfast. Cheaper and much better value. No free wifi is terrible.

3) Water is a commodity there. They serve the bottled water in a champange bucket - LOL.. The only place you can get bottled water for free is if you are doing the dolphin interaction there, or at the casino. I'd advise going to the casino and ordering water to drink if you want bottled water. I am not a soft drink person, so this was the only way I could stay hydrated. You can buy bottled water at the grocery store across the street for $3.50 a bottle, which is cheap compared to on the property.

4) Wi-fi or cell plans. Turn your phone off before you get to the Bahamas to save yourself international fees. Wi-fi is $20 a day there or you can get 15 minutes of access in the library a day. It is very hard to get in touch with each other since you can't really call cheaply. I would advise you to buy an international plan for this purpose, get an international calling card, or download Tango or Facetime on wifi to make calls back home.

Overall, it was a nice trip/place, but the service leaves a lot to be desired. I would probably not stay there again unless work sent me there or I had a ridiculous discount.

Room Tip: Beach Tower is like a value hotel and not that nice. It does have a nice view of the grounds and bea...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank sbward02
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The water park at Atlantis is unbelievable. We stopped here on cruise and spent the day at Atlantis in the resort area. Food at snack shack was very good and reasonably priced for what we expected. Drinks were very good and again price was reasonable considering we saved Anton of $ by booking a room next door at Comfort Suites which came with four Atlantis passes for $250, thru ship would have been $600 and on site would have been $400. Your kids will never want to go to the local water park again after they visit Atlantis.

• Stayed September 2012
Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2013

1) As water parks go atlantis is a major disappointment - The water park in Williamsburg has many more and better rides. My kids were bored after 2 days.
2) If you love looking at fish behind glass it is super place
3) Be prepared to pay big time for everything.. I mean really!
4) It can get crowded and spaces with any shade are very limited - (Hey Atlantis) palm trees do not afford protection from the Bahamian tropical sun.
5) The lazy river is on the far side of the part so it is rare a 'lazy' guy or gal is willing to walk that far.

We spent the first 4 days of our vacation at the Sheraton were water toys kayaks, water bikes, pattlewheel and snorkeling equipment were free. There were umbrellas for shade and a long killer beach. The huge glass enclosed lobby and free internet service were a bonus. They had bingo, free movies etc., The only thing free at atlantis are towels and air! (I understand they are think of charging for air next.)

All in all way too expensive for way too little.....

Room Tip: save your money stay at the comfort inn and get free access at the water park.
4 Thank Raymond M
Van Nuys
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Okay, here's the deal. I am really easy to please and I found this hotel in need of some serious help.

First off, the Terrace View absolutely blows. It is downright depressing. I booked my trip thru Cheap Caribbean.com and was told to try to get an upgrade on the room once I got there. If the first person at the desk says "no rooms available", try another clerk later. I got my upgrade for no cost later on even though they had screwed up my room. I guess suddenly a room magically opened up for me on the Beach View side after they royally messed around with me and my friend's rooms. They printed the wrong names on the wrong cards and it became a task to get beach towels and wristbands the entire stay because of that snafu. But we muscled through it.

The rooms are nice enough, but the bathrooms were horrible. The wallpaper was peeling off in all three rooms and the pipes under the sink were rusted, corroded, mildewy and had roach traps attached to them. Nasty to say the least. The hallways have tired and worn carpeting but since it is the lowest budget accommodations of all the Atlantis resorts, I figured this would be the case.

Down below in the aquarium walkways, the trash that had been piled up and not picked up by the employees was shocking.

But overall, it is in a decent location and Coral Towers and the casino are readily accessible. The higher thrill theme park rides is a haul to get to, but again, the Beach Tower was the first one built so it makes sense.

The biggest problem with the entire Atlantis experience is that EVERYONE and their brothers want tips. We must have spent at least $200 on tips alone. We had stopped at the grocery store on the way to the resort and the kid who absolutely insisted on taking our bags to the van actually TOLD us we needed to tip him. Crazy.

If you are ordering mixed drinks, I assure you, they skimp severely on the alcohol content. Do NOT tip these people coming to your beach chair only because they tack on 15% gratuity on EVERYTHING including that drink you just bought. You give them another couple bucks and you are tipping upwards of 24% which is nuts. The casino however includes a generous amount of alcohol in their drinks and if you are gambling, they are free.

Before leaving, I had researched that the food prices were astronomical. That is an understatement. I implore you, buy a suitcase from Goodwill to ultimately leave there, load it up with everything you need for breakfast and lunch and just eat dinner out. Paying the extra $35 to get the extra bag to Atlantis is going to save you HUNDREDS in the long run. Also bring a collapsable cooler because this comes in very handy when lounging at the beach and poolside. Just to give you a menu idea of prices, Carmine's had meatballs for $45. And that wasn't even in the hotel; it's in the village area. Our last night, eight of us went out for dinner and ONE BOTTLE of wine and it came to $535. You get the picture.

We were told as we were leaving by a local to hit the Green Parrot for a VERY reasonably priced dinner right outside of Atlantis so I suggest you seek it out.

The beach is accessible and quite nice. Bargain with the local hustlers on parasailing and jet ski rental. They are all looking to milk every red cent out of you. HUGE turnoff.

One day, we got dirty towels, but they replaced them after we complained. Also, they only give you two packets of caffinated coffee and two decaf so if you want more, hunt down the housekeepers and get more. One day, our regularly soft sheets were replaced by 120 grit sandpaper. What's up with that?

The bottom line to Atlantis is they have done everything to make you never want to go back, not because it is not fun or it's ugly. It's because it is too expensive. People that go back more than once are just too chicken to venture out to somewhere else on God's green Earth. It's fine if you want a ready-made, no hassle vacation, but you will definitely be paying deary for it. For five days at Atlantis, I literally could have gone to Greece for a month!

If the resort people are reading this, PLEASE do not neglect your resort. From the balcony on room 7134, you can see the trash down below in between the trees and on the roof. How about developing that awful ugly roof on the terrace view into an arboretum or something nice to look at? How about a mural? ANYTHING! IT IS UGLY PERIOD!

Atlantis will soon have to step up because other resorts are being built close by. The trash lying around, the tired interior and the constant mooching all needs to be addressed soon. Would I stay here again? No way. Once was enough and tolerable. Twice would be downright dumb.

P.S. As for excursions, take the all day Barefoot Sailing Cruise. It is worth every penny of it!

Room Tip: Skip the Terrace View and get the Beach View. Bring your own food!
4 Thank GreekGuy9999
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!