“Super fun place and the staff was excellent! Would love to come back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Lynnwood, WA
“Super fun place and the staff was excellent! Would love to come back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed here with my husband and 2 kids- age 8 and 10. We absolutely loved the water view from our 7th floor room. It was beautiful to wake up every morning with the sun and waves.... that was one of my favorite parts. I thought the Beach Tower was a great location, it was a quick walk to the beach and right by Seagrapes, which was where we had breakfast every morning.

Our room was bright and clean, so we had no problems with it. Location was great for us since everything was a simple walk away......we got to know the inside of the hotels very well since we were there while hurricane Irene went through. The management staff of the hotel did a really good job keeping thousands of vacationers busy through the hurricane with lots of activities...we watched 2 movies and watched some of the games going on in the Beach Tower lobby. We appreciated the complimentary meals during duration of the hurricane which was very nice.

We really enjoyed the hospitality and friendliness of every staff memeber working at Atlantis....anytime we ran into a staff member, whether they were working inside or outside, they always greeted us with a "Good morning" or "How are you enjoying yoru stay?". We really appreciated the friendliness of everyone....a big KUDOS to the staff for helping to make our stay enjoyable.

The kids were a bit overloaded with Aquaventure--- there were too many pools and rides for them and they just wanted to jump from one thing to another (I guess that is a good thing). Also loved all the animals in the park--- the Predator Tunnel was great! We got to see a huge saw shark up close which was amazing.

All in all, we loved staying at the Beach Tower in Atlantis. If you have kids- you can be sure that they will never be bored here as there is so much to do! The only downside with Atlantis, is the food is so expensive, but that is just part of being on vacation. I found the best place to grab a quick eat was an outside venue by the beach...can't remember the name but it had seating by the beach. You could get gigantic focachia sandwiches made with ham and swiss or tuna for $9. There was literally 2 inches of filling in each sandwhich wedge. I wanted to try Mesa Grill but could not go since we had kids.

Overall it was great- if you have kids this is a GREAT place to go. Would definately be back and would not mind staying in the Beach Towers again. Always get the waterview rooms!

1 Thank Green98

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Hi I just wanted to start off by saying that we had prepaid for our trip and when Hurricane Irene was on her way to Nassau,so were we!!!!! There were 5 of us that went and I was very scared to go...So we get there and the next day Irene hit....I want to give much love to all the employees at The Resort...They did a FANTASTIC job .... We could have not asked for anything more... The food was great and they had activities for the kids ALL day long..The best part of the hurricane was that everything was FREE!!! yes they had free food and prizes and drinks all free............ We had the best vacation ever!!!!!!!! Next time A huricane comes ..you can bet that we will be heading to Atlantis!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: the room was average
Westport, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We were very much looking forward to our 2nd trip to Atlantis. We went last year and had an amazing time.

We left JFK Monday morning August 22nd after talking with the people at Atlantis about what was at the time tropical storm Irene. We were told that we only close the pools if it gets really bad outside or if there is lightning and where the resort is in the Bahamas they have not seen a hurricane in many years...

Monday even though it was a travel day we had a rocking time. Tuesday too. My girls are 7 1/2 and 5 1/2. I even convinced my oldest now tall enough to go down the Leap of Faith. I'm sure that will cost me in therapy later but my wife snapped a great picture of her going down but I can't say she'll be doing it again soon.

So day 3 Wednesday. Now Hurricane Irene is on it's way. Watching the weather channel in your room is NOT recommended if your about to get clobbered by a hurricane in the Bahamas. They seemed to only use the the words Armageddon, immanent peril and mortal danger.

The day before (Tuesday) The resort started taking in chairs and shutting down rides. Oddly the Current ride was still open but we were chased out of the Lazy river because "a hurricane was coming". We are not really chair sitters and just need a chair to plop our stuff on so we did not care...

Wednesday was a bust. They opened the pools for about an hour then closed them. It was beautiful out no wind no clouds no rain--now what am I supposed to do with my girls play slots?? the winds did not start to pick up until around 7pm.

So I try get information from the concierge and true to form the concierge at the Beach Tower had a different information then the concierge at the Coral Tower. Every so often we'd get a random communication letter under our door. I say random because they did not put the letter about potently having to evacuate from your rooms, pack all your stuff, put your luggage in the plastic bags and then in the tub and wait in your room from 2pm-3pm for further instruction letter. We herd about this letter from people we saw in the lobby. When I asked the front desk about why we did not get the letter or a call about this the front desk person said the letter was optional--WTF?!? I have my wife and kids here and you want us to be prepared to evacuate and THAT LETTER WAS OPTIONAL?? After asking other guests about the letter about 50% got the letter under their door....

The letter also stated that all the restaurants and store will be closed and that they will keep open the three buffets Market Place, Sea Grapes and another one... So we rush back to the room pack up our stuff and wait for further instruction.... IT NEVER CAME. I went down stairs at 3:30, a half an hour past the "further instruction time" and asked the front desk and she said, "you don't need to evacuate" and I politely asked, how am I to know that if I was told to wait in my room for further instructions... she said " well I'm telling you now". Now as you might imagine that kind of does not work for me or my wife but we were stuck as soon as we got to Atlantis on Monday flights were booked coming home and there were no fights anywhere available.

So after they announced free buffet food I knew what this meant long lines... THEY WERE OVER 2 HOURS LONG AND LITTLE TO NOTHING LEFT WHEN YOU FINALLY WERE SEATED. The market place line was all the way to the casino. And to top it off I already paid for the meal plan so it was not free for me.

At about 3pm on Wednesday we all were locked in the resort with little to do, except wait in the buffet line to eat, go to the casino, just walk around or hang out in my non-evacuated room.

Then came the storm--in my room in the Beach Tower the siding glass windows were bowing under the winds, the room would shake in the gusts and water poured in from the sliding glass door NOT FUN but at least we did not have to sleep on the convention center floor like many people who were evacuated.

Fast forward though the long food lines and the storm to find out the pools will be closed for a day or so after the storm and my kids and I are just stir crazy from walking around the casino and the one sundries store that was open.

After waiting on hold for about an hour with Jet Blue I got a Flight out for the day after the hurricane Friday at 9:46 not knowing if the air port will be open or if I could get transportation to the airport.

Now I've learned to ask at least 4 people that work there and 2 guests the same question and look for a patter and that's probably the best answer. Concierge was useless is finding out if the airport was going to open or if ground transportation will even show up if the airport does open. One Concierge person told me it was not opening another told me they might open at noon but none of this worked for me as my flight that I just spent an hour rescheduling was for 9:46am. I also asked who do I talk to about my having to leave early, my awful experience and I got a bit of a run around but finally got the number of the quality assurance department to call when I get home

As luck would have it air transportation did show up and the airport did open at 7am and my 9:46 flight left safely with me and my family on it around 11.

I called and called and called... the Quality Assurance department which I was almost certain was just a phone ringing in a dark closet somewhere and again I got the runaround. They will talk about my issues to senior management and get back to me via e-mail in 7 to 10 days but she did not ask any questions, nor did I hear her typing out my concerns, nor did she give me a tracking number so if I have to call back again I would not have to reexplain my Atlantis experience all over again.

I have to say that this will be our LAST annual trip to Atlantis

3 Thank Greg s

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Rockledge, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We will never stay at the Atlantis Hotel, Nassau again. If you think the lines at Disneyworld are bad you will be overwhelmed by the long lines at the Atlantis, including the check-in line. A 3 oz tube of Panama Jack sun screen cost $16.99. Food was equally expensive and the quality was poor. The room we had, at about $400 a day, was small town local motel quality. Save your money and your disposition. Don't go to this hotel!!

Room Tip: Local small town motel quality
3 Thank tahotart
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed for 6 days in Atlantis, Bahamas in August.
First, the good things:
1. the Dolphins experience - that's an awesome experience, but buy it before arriving to the resort, as it will cost $130++ once you are checked in.
2. You will likely spend whole days at its 20+ pools, that are ranging in size, water type, etc. Some water activities are great.
3. The activities for the kids are pricey but worth it, especially the Kids Club and the Pottery. A free movie theatre is great

Now, the areas of improvement:
1. Most of the staff seems to have a good time, chilling out. It is nice to see, but don't expect them to be particularly attentive to your needs. At one water slide, the staff did not arrive to open it as scheduled. We complained and asked for a manager, and some "Jay" dude appeared, saying "hey, chill out mon, probably my coworkers are late, it just happens. Hey, high five!!" We complained to another lady, and she just said "I keep calling 3 managers, but none of them answers". Finally, we left and went to another slide. It's just a shame that the most staff seems not to care much about you as a customer.
2. Atlantis systems are grossly unreliable. It took us over an hour and a half of intence discussions with the consierge, the registration desk, the call centre, etc... to confirm that we have prepaid for the dolphins. We had several times similar complications with the prepaid arcade cards, and with other systems issues.

Word of advice - keep a good track record of everything you have paid for.

Finally, be ready that the food is extremely expensive everywhere but in a few places: the Pizzeria, Starbucks, Plato and the Deli are the only places where a family of 4 can eat for under $60/meal.

P.S. this is a smoking hotel, but only 1 in 200 people is smoking inside the hotel. You will see people smoking while walking down the halls, it is annoying but not too bad....

Room Tip: a lot of excellent activities are close to the Beach Towers
Macomb, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

My family and I stayed at Atlantis for 5 days and while we had a good time i still dont think we would go back. We traveled with a 9 year old and a 9 month old. Some of our opinion could be due to having to ride Hurricane Irene out. I think that the resort has a lot of amazing qualities and were very fun. But this resort would not be a spot to pick unless you got a great travel deal like we did.

PRO: Amazing marine life is all over the resort. Underwater tunnels such as "The Predators Cove" and "The Dig" offer great underwater views of this marine life. There are also many other viewing windows around the resort.
Lots of pools and water activities for all ages. Atlantis has lots of water slides and each one offers a different experience. The pools all looked very well maintained and clean. There are some that have waterfalls around the outside of them and have sitting areas inside the waterfall.
The beach had very nice sand and beautiful water. There were some small islands off of the coast that made for some good scenery.
All the staff was very friendly. They always asked how your day was and if they could help you with anything. They were very helpful and understanding during the hurricane too.
There was a free movie theatre located in the beach tower that had some good movie. They played movies the while time during the hurricane which gave our 9 year old some entertainment.
The dolphin experience was very cool. My wife and 9 year old got to swim with and touch a dolphin.

CONS: The price for everything is very very high. I know that this is on an island and the prices would be high (I have been to Hawaii 3 time so i know first hand), but i thought things were very out of line. A locally brewed can of beer was $6. I would suggest getting a meal plan (we did) if you go because the cheapest buffet was $115 for breakfast. Pictures for the dolphin experience were $149 or 5 picture and a cd with 20 pictures on it.
The resort was not very stroller friendly. There are lots of stairs to the tunnels and to various other things. They have some ramps and elevators to things but they are not well marked and hard to find. Some pathways along the outside only have stairs and with a stroller that got old fast.
Service at the restaurants that we went to was just ok. I know they were just buffet style, but servers would stop to pick up used plates and you would have to ask them for another drink or you wouldnt get one (kind of made the automatic 15% gratuity frustrating).
Everything closed at 7PM. All the pools, water slides, tunnels, and even the beach closed at 7pm every night. i couldnt believe it the first day. We arrived at 5 pm so we ate and then got ready to do the water park only to find that all of it was closing.

While the resort has some amazing features it would not be a choice of mine to return to. You can get the same beach experience from lot of other island and can get all inclusive.

2 Thank superbird2
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Took my wife and two kids (7 and 4.5) to Nassau for eight nights so we picked the Atlantis Beach Tower for the last 2 nights and, on balance, were very happy with the choice. Before I begin to give all the details about the positives and negatives about this property, I feel it’s important to say that I knew in advance that the Beach Tower was the least expensive hotel option at Atlantis and as such my expectations were not very high. I got this room essentially because we wanted to see and experience this amazing resort and getting this room was much cheaper than buying four day passes for my family (which I will discuss further below).

POSITIVES:

- Aqua Adventure: While technically not part of the Beach Tower it was the reason we wanted to stay at this resort and it was really, really amazing! It does have some downsides but before I get to those lets talk about the fun stuff. The slides (I think there are 8 of them) are really fun, the only bummer is on days that the cruise ships are in the lines take exceedingly long (up 45 minutes) for a ride that lasts about 30 seconds. The lazy river/rapids is AWESOME -- you can just walk right in, grab a tube and go -- it takes about 30 minutes to float one complete circle and the ride is exhilarating as you go over rapid and through a portion with large waves. They also have a designated kids are with three small slides and another area with a series of small slides for the little ones. The main negatives were the crowds and the fact that anyone under 48 inches (even if by an inch) no matter how old or proficient a swimmer they are is not allow to ride any of the slide and they are VERY STRICT with this rule. Which was a real bummer for my 4.5 year old.

- Pools: There are tons and tons of amazing pools. The beach tower has several pools, the coral tower has different pools and main tower has several pools and there are additional pools spread out throughout the Aqua Adventure. All of the pools are SPOTLESS. Plenty of places to lay out and plenty of umbrellas for shade. My one tip is that the lounge chairs around the pools in the Aqua Adventure fill up very early (before 8am), so if you want a prime location you will have to get up early and put some magazines or towels on the chairs you want to reserve.

- Beach: Very pristine and scenic beaches. The sand is the consistency of sugar and powdery white. Beautiful. Lots of lounge chairs to lay on. The only downsides is one of the days we were at the beach there were a number of employees warning that it was jellyfish season and we could actually see small (donut sized) jellyfish in the water. The positives were that the employees we trying to net them so that the guests could safely swim in the water. We stayed out of the Ocean opting for the pools instead.

- Casino: Again, while technically not part of the Beach Tower it is part of the resort. The Casino is beautifully designed and full of slot machines and tables of all limits but, having said that, the low limit table are not very plentiful. Its a huge Casino, far larger than the Casino at the Wyndham on Cable Beach and it is very nice.

- The Aquarium: Again, while technically not part of the Beach Tower it is part of the resort. The indoor Aquarium is called "The Dig" and it is AMAZING. My kids spent hours in there watch the eels, seahorses, clown fish and especially looking at the Manta and Sting Rays in the Large Aquarium. This aquarium itself is comparable to many "stand alone" aquariums in the States like "The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach" and the best thing is it is FREE for guests. The outdoor Aquariums are huge and my kids loved exploring the property, looking at the sealife and watching all the big Sharks from the "Predator Tunnel." You can literally spend 4 hours walking around looking at all the aquariums at the Atlantis.

Price: I found an online deal for $299/night which with taxes and resort fees cost around $380. Our deal included kids eat free for breakfast, lunch and dinner and free breakfast at certain restaurants for the adults. I found this to be a very good price considering that day passes to the resort just for the waterpark and aquarium were $120 per person, meaning that for a Family of 4 it would have been $480. IWhile $380 is more than I usually spend, I was not disappointed with this price for the three days and two nights we were at the resort.

NEUTRALS/NEGATIVES:

- Location: The beach tower is a FAR walk from the main pools and Aqua Adventure. 20 minutes in fact at a moderate pace. I knew this coming in so it wasn’t a huge disappointment but the Beach Tower is a considerable distance from all of the "action"

View and Balcony: We were on the 8th Floor and our room had a view of the roof of the convention center. However, that was acceptable because I knew in advance I hadn't paid the upgrade to have an ocean view.

- Room: It was standard sized but the decor was severely dated. The bathroom had creepy fluorescent lighting and seemed as if it hadn't been remodeled since the early 80s. The shower had bad water pressure and didn’t maintained hot water long enough to take a decent length shower. The mattress was lumpy and not all the confortable (and could definitely use replacing). The furniture (which was probably 25 years old) was badly worn, scratched and dented by years of abuse from families with small children. However, the room was clean and you don't go to Atlantis to spend a lot of time in the room so it was adequate.

- Lobby: Nothing really stood out. No character, no real places to hang out only a couple places to sit. It did have a video arcade for children. The breakfast buffet attached to the Lobby (Seagrapes) was fairly decent.

- Crowds: The Atlantis is crowded!!!!! There are lines to eat, lines to go on slides, lines to get snacks, lines to use the restroom, lines EVERYWHERE. It is especially crowded between 10:00am and 4:00pm when thousands of people from the Cruise ships in port who have day passes descend on the water park and pools. Of the two days we were there one day had 4 ships in port and the crowds were almost unbearable. The other days had only two and the crowds were far less. I am told Sunday and Monday are the most crowded days due to cruise ships.

Food prices: As many people report, food prices are exceptionally high at this resort and in the Bahamas in general. However, we found the meal deals at "Shark Bites" the cafe in Aqua Adventure to be the best bargain in all the Bahamas -- Hamburger, Fries and a drink for $8 or $9.

SUMMARY:

The Atlantis as a resort is AMAZING. The Beach Tower is worn, dated and in need of a facelift but provides a cost-effective way to stay at this amazing resort. Despite its flaws, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank thekld
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,529 reviews

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!