“Been there and will be back!”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
South Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2003

Booked a 4 day/3 night package Apple Vacation thru Vacationkeywest.net for 2 adults & 2 children(6,8) which included airfare/hotel(Royal Towers)/ground transport from&to airport/hotel gratuities for less than $200 night/per person.

Check-in time is 3pm but hotel holds your luggage and there is a transit lounge with showers and lockers(free) so guest can use the facility immediately. No problems encountered with check-in; staff are polite and seems to be efficient.

Food prices are reasonable for a resort. Lunch at Dive-In shack is - $26 for a burger, chicken wrap, 2 tropical icee's and a soda.
MarketPlace(Royal Tower) all you can eat buffet offers a lot of good food for an adult - $39 each which includes beverage & coffe.
Seagrapes(Beach Tower) buffet $29 is a better value if you don't mind children - kids love this place for food & entertainment. Great Hall of Waters dining is so-so;food is expensive and too many folks walking around looking at the aquarium to enjoy a quite dinner. I quess Fathoms would be better but we are unable to make reservation for a reasonable dinner time.

The Atlantis ground is awesome especially if you love water and its creatures. There is a salt water lagoon for snorkling with a lifeguard.
Great water sides too for all ages. Pool hours are up to 7pm in the summer(tho signs say 5:30 without season referrence).A lot of shops in between the hotels if you're into shopping(expensive to moderate). Our room is of good size and clean - as expected for an expensive Hotel. We requested a small ref and got one without any problems. Towels are reflenished once a day if needed. There is also a Spa which my wife used and recomends. The kids participated in the Discovery camp and loved it. A shuttle is operated between the 3 towers and Harborside resort if one tired of walking.

We also took part on some excursions outside the resort. The powerboat adventure to the Exuma Islands was execellent. The tour runs the entire day - you get to ride the boats for about an hour each way, feed the Iguana's, stingray & sharks and of course snorkel. Lunch (steak,hotdogs,cheese, fish(grouper), etc), snacks and all beverages are included. Book this trip online or directly from powerboat to get 10% off. The Dolphin Adventure was also nice but expensive for the amount of time spent with the dolphins. We also walked around the straw market in Nassau. Taxi to/from Nassau & RT is $8 1st person + $3 each additional.

Overall experience is A+, too bad it was too short but we will be back!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

detroit, MI
Reviewed July 27, 2003

i had the best time of my life at the atlantis resort. at the time i was 17 and i loved it because there was somthing to do for every age group and i would deffinantly reccomend taking the family.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2003

My family and I just returned from a 4 night stay (July 22-26, 2003) at the Atlantis Resort. I must admit I was quite apprehensive after reading some of these reviews and was really worried about what we would find.

Weren't we pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Atlantis Resort.
We had booked a ROH (run of the house) room in the Beach Tower and were expecting a parking lot view. Upon check-in my husband was asked if he would like a smoking or non-smoking room. He replied, whichever room has a better view (and he didn't even slip the clerk a tip). We couldn't believe our view from the third floor. Our balcony was directly over a lagoon full of hammerhead sharks and sting rays. We had a view of the pool and the beach and ocean.

Frozen drinks from the beach and pool bars were an average of $6.
Ordered 2 large sodas, fries, hot dog and ice cream for the kids one afternoon from Shark Bites Express - $12. Not bad after reading that they were charging crazy prices for food. We were on the MAP meal plan and had plenty of choices for breakfast & dinner. We had booked under a special where our two boys (6 & 11) ate free because we booked by a certain date. The four of us had breakfast & dinner every day for $110 under the MAP.

Honestly, I do get tired of buffets. Atlas Bar & Grill ($60 dinner for 4 w/o alcohol & tip) and Murray's (especially for breakfast) were great alternatives. The Marketplace is the best buffet option. Try to get there before 7pm to avoid a long line at the stir fry station (absolutely delicious). Meal prices are in line with Disney World and New York.

Are the people rude? Maybe you are! Staff was friendly, but reserved.
If you greet them with respect and a smile, you'll will receive the same in return.

The slides are awesome and The Dig is a sight to behold. Our 6 year old was mesmerized by all of the sea creatures. True, not much to do in the evening if you have kids with you. Would have liked to been able to enjoy a drink in the evening at the Lagoon Bar but it unfortunatley closes much too early (5:00). We were happy just to stroll the grounds after dinner or people watch on a walk from the Royal Towers back to the Beach Tower. Good choice of movies playing at the theater, but never had the time to enjoy one. The kids never wanted to leave the grounds! And actually, neither did we. Nassau itself does nothing for me. However, Atlantis is a feast for the eyes!

• Stayed: July 2003
23  Thank MJ&Ty
Reviewed July 26, 2003

My husband and I stayed at the Beach Towers July 12-17. We had a wonderful and exciting time staying at the Atlantis hotel and going to Nassau. Our room was very nice and big and we got a upgrade ocean front view by being nice to the reservationist. We would love to go back to Atlantis in a couple of years. The food is very expensive. Market Place Buffet is $40.00 per person, We love the variety of food they had to offer. We ate kid meals at the pool side stands for lunch $6 - $8 dollars. Drink plenty of water, it's very hot down there! Water cost $5.00 - 7.50 per bottle, soda cost $1.00-$2.00 a cup with ice, not a can. We packed 1 suit case with 2 cases of pint size bottles of water, soda, chips and cookies. We saved so much money not doing the meal plan they offered. There is automatic 15% gratuity taxed on to your bill for buffet, pool side stands, express food and of couse restaurants. The servers are pleasant and nice to you but they don't go out of their way to treat you like a King or a Queen because they automatically get a 15% tip. I will say if get a really good server let the manager know because they have a incentive program where the server is rewarded with points and prizes. On our last day, Ava at Murrary's gave of the best service ever, she went out of her way to treat us very special. Taxi's cost $12.00 - $15.00 to go to Nassau or you can take a Ferry for $6.00 round trip. If you are interested in fried seafood go to Nassau to the FISH FRY you get alot of seafood for your money. The Island is very safe only 8% crime rate. Bring plenty of cash for extra tipping. This vacation is at the top of our list for the most fun in the sun.

10  Thank whitts
Hummelstown, PA
Reviewed July 22, 2003

Attached is the text of the letter we sent to the Sr. Vice President of the resort. We never received a reply.

Dear Mr. Sawyer,

I am writing to express our dissatisfaction with our recent stay, April 28 through May 2, at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island. It was our 10th wedding anniversary, and we came to Atlantis expecting world-class service. Instead, we were greatly disappointed with our accommodations, and somewhat surprised by other, minor inconveniences (see attached). I was definitely not "blown away" as one of your resort's core values would promise.

At the root of our concerns were our accommodations. We requested the Coral Towers mainly for the favorable view, central location, and opportunity to enjoy the scenery from a small deck. We booked the trip through Liberty Travel four months in advance and we paid incrementally for a "water view", because we particularly enjoy sitting on the deck, listening to the water, and taking in the view. This became especially important given the unfavorable weather during our stay. Also, as a married couple, we requested to have a king-size bed rather than two doubles.

Upon checking into our room (8210), we were greatly disappointed with our view. We have enclosed pictures for your information, and ask you to consider personally visiting the room to see for yourself. The prevailing view was of the wall of the 2nd Coral Tower, not of the Lagoon, or Ocean as paid for. In addition, the room was directly over a receiving area with truck-traffic most of the day. Each morning, we could hear breaking glass as trash was being handled, and the beeping of trucks that were backing into position to load and unload. To top it off, directly underneath us, there were workers applying tar to re-seal, and repair the roof.

When we raised our concerns to your staff, we were treated politely, but with indifference. Apparently, it was impossible to give us the view we paid for, and a king-sized bed. I asked to see a manager, who treated me the same. Another employee, who overheard the discussion, quietly offered your name. I attempted to reach you, by name, via telephone. Your representative answering the phone had no idea who you were. I was routed several more times to various people who were polite, but not able to help. As a last resort, I turned in very unfavorable responses to both your customer satisfaction card, and your online, in-room survey. Neither generated any type of follow up.

We were not guests at either convention, or casino rates. We paid "full fare", including the incremental difference for the water view. Our package included airfare, but we estimate the hotel portion of the package for 5 days/4 nights to be $1600. While we will never have the opportunity to re-live our 10th anniversary, we request that you refund the portion of our charges that were paid incrementally for the water view. Based on your website rates, we estimate those charges to be approximately $60/night for four nights, or $240 total.

We had hoped to return to the resort one day soon with our three children, but based on our experience, I'm not sure we will.
Additionally, there are many friends and family who are anxious to hear about our trip, in anticipation of their own potential future trips to Atlantis. I only wish I could tell them that the service was as breathtaking as the magnificent facility you've built.

Thanks for your consideration.

[signed]

Attachment Other items observed during our stay

These are provided in an attempt to help you improve your service. We do not expect a response on these items.

1. We felt as if you catered to day visitors at the expense of your paying guests. Many times, we were interrupted, and asked to show our room keys as we casually walked through the resort. In some cases, we were asked multiple times in the same general area. While I understand the need to be compensated by the visitors touring the facility, you should not do so at the inconvenience of your paying guests.
2. On our first full day, we did not receive maid service until after 3:00pm 3. We booked a snorkeling cruise at your excursion desk. They accepted neither a room charge, or a credit card. They only accepted cash. For safety reasons, I don't like to carry more cash than is necessary. If this is necessary, it would be helpful to have a cash machine available at your excursion desk, rather than having to walk to the casino and back.
4. The request to consider touring your time-share facility was very aggressive, and was not done with our permission. We requested a map of the facility, and had to sit through the sales pitch to get the map. If only your staff were as diligent, and passionate about other aspects of our stay as they were about trying to get us to view a timeshare.

33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed July 19, 2003

I just want to throw in a positive review; I have read so many negative reviews and I want people who have upcoming vacations booked at Atlantis to be able to relax and look forward to their trip!

We went during our kids spring break (my boys are 10 and 8 by the way), the week of March 14, 2003. I booked a basic package on the Atlantis site and paid approximately $1300 for 4 nights in the Coral Towers.
This also included our airport transfers and some other little discounts here and there.

We arrived with the throngs of spring breakers and they were mainly high school seniors. Apparently it is legal to drink and gamble at age 18 in the Bahamas, hence the large numbers of young people! At check in, the lovely young lady behind the counter winked at me and said, "you aren't with the spring breakers, are you?" and she said she would get me a nice room, and quiet too. (at this point I slid her a cash tip, nothing big, but I wanted her to know I appreciated her efforts) My booking was a 'super saver rate' which meant they could pretty much stick me anywhere in the Coral Towers; I was pleasantly surprised to see we were set up in an ocean view room. Yes, the rooftop of the lobby was the first thing you saw when you stepped out on the balcony, but beyond that we viewed the pools and ocean; just beautiful.

The room was immaculate and I am very picky. I even pack Lysol wipes to do my own cleaning when I stay in a hotel; I did a quick wipe up of the bathroom and the wipey was spotless so it really was immaculate. Our room stayed clean and well stocked with extra towels each day, again, I left a small tip for housekeeping.

I have to say this, just being friendly to the hotel staff, saying "good morning" or "hello" with a smile before you start asking directions or getting their assistance with something goes a LONG way and a few bucks here and there doesn't hurt. And I will also add that every single staff member we encountered was pleasant and seemed to be enjoying their work.

One thing I highly recommend doing is making your dining arrangements before you come down. I thought I could wait and do it when we first arrived, but the 'nicer' sit down restaurants were all booked for dinner until 9 and that is when I wanted the kids to be getting to bed.
That said, the other casual restaurants were wonderful and I think quite reasonable, especially for resort level dining. I mean, it was perfectly in line with prices at Walt Disney World (our home away from home!) The Atlas Bar and Grill (just off the casino) serves a fabulous Mahi Mahi dish with rice and veggies for about $23. Kids meals were reasonable too. We also dined at Murrays Deli...quick dinner one evening and then a terrific breakfast on our last day. Drinks at the pool cost $8 (that is total cost, with the tax and mandatory tip) , same as you would pay at any poolside resort such as Vegas, or even those close to my home (Marriott at Sawgrass for example!)

We did pack a small suitcase of snacks; I brought along lil packs of tuna for my breakfast, poptarts and cereal for the kids, along with juice boxes and soft drinks. This way, the only thing we had to spend on breakfast was $5.50 (total cost for 2 coffees) I also packed crackers and peanuts to tide the kids over before dinner. You are so active at this resort, so much walking and water play that you will work up an appetite!

We had a ball at Atlantis; the pools and waterslides are so much fun.
My husband and 10 year old son braved the Leap of Faith; the younger boy and I stuck with the other slides and we all enjoyed the lazy river by the Beach Tower. We headed out to the main pool by the Royal Towers early...by 8:30 am to snag good seats without having to tip the workers! You see, about that time of the morning, the pool workers will mark off *some* good location chairs so they can assist late arrivals (who will tip them when they waltz down to the pool at 10 when it is getting quite busy)

We never had any trouble getting good loungers up until about 9am (the hotel was booked solid that week, so take that under consideration as well) so if you are a late sleeper and want a lounger by the popular pool, bring some dollars with you! Otherwise, get there by 9 and you won't have any trouble fending for yourself.

We would spend the morning at the Royal Tower pool doing the shark tank slides and then have lunch at one of the many outside eateries and then we'd 'pick up stakes' so to speak and move it to the beach or the Beach Tower pool and enjoy the lazy river or the the pool over there. We never had trouble getting 2 chairs at the Beach pool come afternoon.

We enjoyed watching the feedings of some of the fish; we planned on doing more of that, but sometimes we were just too busy floating in an innertube, sipping a strawberry daquiri!

Have a great time, everyone!

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2003

My husband & I just spent 5 days at the Atlantis. This is not the place to go if you want peace & quiet or for couples with no children. We stayed in the Coral Towers & paid extra for a waterview room. We had a waterview if you looked far enough, but were right over the air vents and Kitchen fans. There was no way to sit out on the balcony without being overcome with fumes. Staying in the room was no pleasure because the walls were paper thin and we were next to a family that had 4 WILD kids. They screamed, blasted the TV and ran in & out of the room slamming doors. The prices were out of sight! Get a meal plan, it helps. The food is so-so. We found the Atlas Bar & Grill to have good food. Drinks are different prices at every bar. We paid $7 for a pina colada at one pool bar and $5 for the same drink at a bar on the other side of the pool. The pool was crowded with kids screaming and splashing. I've never seen so many baby carriages at a resort. Other than the casino there is absolutely no night-life here. The entire outdoors closes down at 6:00. No outdoor bars, no entertainment, just a kids club and ice-cream parlor. Other than walking around, there's nothing to do at night. This is a great place for families (if you can afford it) but definitely not for middle-aged couples looking to get away. I love kids but as a teacher need a break from so many of them.
This was not the place.

The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!