The Beach at Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island(Paradise Island)(Great Value!)
$322
$251
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive(Paradise Island)(Great Value!)
$320
  • Pool
Bay View Suites Paradise Island(Paradise Island)(Great Value!)
$150
$179
Travelocity
Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas(Paradise Island)(Great Value!)
$221
Towne Hotel(Nassau)
$104
  • Breakfast included
3,997 results
All reviewsbeach towermeal plancoral towersroyal towerslazy riverwater slidesocean viewper personcave grillmarina villagebimini roadmurray's delimarine lifeclub rushfriesmayan templemovie theater
A TripAdvisor Member
Hummelstown, PA
Reviewed July 22, 2003

Attached is the text of the letter we sent to the Sr. Vice President of the resort. We never received a reply.

Dear Mr. Sawyer,

I am writing to express our dissatisfaction with our recent stay, April 28 through May 2, at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island. It was our 10th wedding anniversary, and we came to Atlantis expecting world-class service. Instead, we were greatly disappointed with our accommodations, and somewhat surprised by other, minor inconveniences (see attached). I was definitely not "blown away" as one of your resort's core values would promise.

At the root of our concerns were our accommodations. We requested the Coral Towers mainly for the favorable view, central location, and opportunity to enjoy the scenery from a small deck. We booked the trip through Liberty Travel four months in advance and we paid incrementally for a "water view", because we particularly enjoy sitting on the deck, listening to the water, and taking in the view. This became especially important given the unfavorable weather during our stay. Also, as a married couple, we requested to have a king-size bed rather than two doubles.

Upon checking into our room (8210), we were greatly disappointed with our view. We have enclosed pictures for your information, and ask you to consider personally visiting the room to see for yourself. The prevailing view was of the wall of the 2nd Coral Tower, not of the Lagoon, or Ocean as paid for. In addition, the room was directly over a receiving area with truck-traffic most of the day. Each morning, we could hear breaking glass as trash was being handled, and the beeping of trucks that were backing into position to load and unload. To top it off, directly underneath us, there were workers applying tar to re-seal, and repair the roof.

When we raised our concerns to your staff, we were treated politely, but with indifference. Apparently, it was impossible to give us the view we paid for, and a king-sized bed. I asked to see a manager, who treated me the same. Another employee, who overheard the discussion, quietly offered your name. I attempted to reach you, by name, via telephone. Your representative answering the phone had no idea who you were. I was routed several more times to various people who were polite, but not able to help. As a last resort, I turned in very unfavorable responses to both your customer satisfaction card, and your online, in-room survey. Neither generated any type of follow up.

We were not guests at either convention, or casino rates. We paid "full fare", including the incremental difference for the water view. Our package included airfare, but we estimate the hotel portion of the package for 5 days/4 nights to be $1600. While we will never have the opportunity to re-live our 10th anniversary, we request that you refund the portion of our charges that were paid incrementally for the water view. Based on your website rates, we estimate those charges to be approximately $60/night for four nights, or $240 total.

We had hoped to return to the resort one day soon with our three children, but based on our experience, I'm not sure we will.
Additionally, there are many friends and family who are anxious to hear about our trip, in anticipation of their own potential future trips to Atlantis. I only wish I could tell them that the service was as breathtaking as the magnificent facility you've built.

Thanks for your consideration.

[signed]

Attachment Other items observed during our stay

These are provided in an attempt to help you improve your service. We do not expect a response on these items.

1. We felt as if you catered to day visitors at the expense of your paying guests. Many times, we were interrupted, and asked to show our room keys as we casually walked through the resort. In some cases, we were asked multiple times in the same general area. While I understand the need to be compensated by the visitors touring the facility, you should not do so at the inconvenience of your paying guests.
2. On our first full day, we did not receive maid service until after 3:00pm 3. We booked a snorkeling cruise at your excursion desk. They accepted neither a room charge, or a credit card. They only accepted cash. For safety reasons, I don't like to carry more cash than is necessary. If this is necessary, it would be helpful to have a cash machine available at your excursion desk, rather than having to walk to the casino and back.
4. The request to consider touring your time-share facility was very aggressive, and was not done with our permission. We requested a map of the facility, and had to sit through the sales pitch to get the map. If only your staff were as diligent, and passionate about other aspects of our stay as they were about trying to get us to view a timeshare.

33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed July 19, 2003

I just want to throw in a positive review; I have read so many negative reviews and I want people who have upcoming vacations booked at Atlantis to be able to relax and look forward to their trip!

We went during our kids spring break (my boys are 10 and 8 by the way), the week of March 14, 2003. I booked a basic package on the Atlantis site and paid approximately $1300 for 4 nights in the Coral Towers.
This also included our airport transfers and some other little discounts here and there.

We arrived with the throngs of spring breakers and they were mainly high school seniors. Apparently it is legal to drink and gamble at age 18 in the Bahamas, hence the large numbers of young people! At check in, the lovely young lady behind the counter winked at me and said, "you aren't with the spring breakers, are you?" and she said she would get me a nice room, and quiet too. (at this point I slid her a cash tip, nothing big, but I wanted her to know I appreciated her efforts) My booking was a 'super saver rate' which meant they could pretty much stick me anywhere in the Coral Towers; I was pleasantly surprised to see we were set up in an ocean view room. Yes, the rooftop of the lobby was the first thing you saw when you stepped out on the balcony, but beyond that we viewed the pools and ocean; just beautiful.

The room was immaculate and I am very picky. I even pack Lysol wipes to do my own cleaning when I stay in a hotel; I did a quick wipe up of the bathroom and the wipey was spotless so it really was immaculate. Our room stayed clean and well stocked with extra towels each day, again, I left a small tip for housekeeping.

I have to say this, just being friendly to the hotel staff, saying "good morning" or "hello" with a smile before you start asking directions or getting their assistance with something goes a LONG way and a few bucks here and there doesn't hurt. And I will also add that every single staff member we encountered was pleasant and seemed to be enjoying their work.

One thing I highly recommend doing is making your dining arrangements before you come down. I thought I could wait and do it when we first arrived, but the 'nicer' sit down restaurants were all booked for dinner until 9 and that is when I wanted the kids to be getting to bed.
That said, the other casual restaurants were wonderful and I think quite reasonable, especially for resort level dining. I mean, it was perfectly in line with prices at Walt Disney World (our home away from home!) The Atlas Bar and Grill (just off the casino) serves a fabulous Mahi Mahi dish with rice and veggies for about $23. Kids meals were reasonable too. We also dined at Murrays Deli...quick dinner one evening and then a terrific breakfast on our last day. Drinks at the pool cost $8 (that is total cost, with the tax and mandatory tip) , same as you would pay at any poolside resort such as Vegas, or even those close to my home (Marriott at Sawgrass for example!)

We did pack a small suitcase of snacks; I brought along lil packs of tuna for my breakfast, poptarts and cereal for the kids, along with juice boxes and soft drinks. This way, the only thing we had to spend on breakfast was $5.50 (total cost for 2 coffees) I also packed crackers and peanuts to tide the kids over before dinner. You are so active at this resort, so much walking and water play that you will work up an appetite!

We had a ball at Atlantis; the pools and waterslides are so much fun.
My husband and 10 year old son braved the Leap of Faith; the younger boy and I stuck with the other slides and we all enjoyed the lazy river by the Beach Tower. We headed out to the main pool by the Royal Towers early...by 8:30 am to snag good seats without having to tip the workers! You see, about that time of the morning, the pool workers will mark off *some* good location chairs so they can assist late arrivals (who will tip them when they waltz down to the pool at 10 when it is getting quite busy)

We never had any trouble getting good loungers up until about 9am (the hotel was booked solid that week, so take that under consideration as well) so if you are a late sleeper and want a lounger by the popular pool, bring some dollars with you! Otherwise, get there by 9 and you won't have any trouble fending for yourself.

We would spend the morning at the Royal Tower pool doing the shark tank slides and then have lunch at one of the many outside eateries and then we'd 'pick up stakes' so to speak and move it to the beach or the Beach Tower pool and enjoy the lazy river or the the pool over there. We never had trouble getting 2 chairs at the Beach pool come afternoon.

We enjoyed watching the feedings of some of the fish; we planned on doing more of that, but sometimes we were just too busy floating in an innertube, sipping a strawberry daquiri!

Have a great time, everyone!

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2003

My husband & I just spent 5 days at the Atlantis. This is not the place to go if you want peace & quiet or for couples with no children. We stayed in the Coral Towers & paid extra for a waterview room. We had a waterview if you looked far enough, but were right over the air vents and Kitchen fans. There was no way to sit out on the balcony without being overcome with fumes. Staying in the room was no pleasure because the walls were paper thin and we were next to a family that had 4 WILD kids. They screamed, blasted the TV and ran in & out of the room slamming doors. The prices were out of sight! Get a meal plan, it helps. The food is so-so. We found the Atlas Bar & Grill to have good food. Drinks are different prices at every bar. We paid $7 for a pina colada at one pool bar and $5 for the same drink at a bar on the other side of the pool. The pool was crowded with kids screaming and splashing. I've never seen so many baby carriages at a resort. Other than the casino there is absolutely no night-life here. The entire outdoors closes down at 6:00. No outdoor bars, no entertainment, just a kids club and ice-cream parlor. Other than walking around, there's nothing to do at night. This is a great place for families (if you can afford it) but definitely not for middle-aged couples looking to get away. I love kids but as a teacher need a break from so many of them.
This was not the place.

6  Thank NYmember
Reviewed July 19, 2003

We took our children ages 12 (girl), 12 (boy) and 8 (boy) to stay a week at the Atlantis Resort and Spa on Paradise Island from July 4th - July 11th. It was their first time and our second. We weren't disappointed and neither were they. Yes it was expensive, yes it was a once in a lifetime experience because of the expense, but we enjoyed staying in the Imperial Club of the Royal Towers. The staff treated our children with warmth and respect each time we were in the IC for either breakfast, tea or dessert in the evening. As a family we played scrabble in the IC on the occasional evenings we wanted to kick back and relax. The children learned to play tennis with us on another evening. Their most favorite vacation memories were riding the jets skis and swimming with the dolphins. They all enjoyed the freedom of going to Club Rush on a few evenings from 4:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. ,a place where other children their age played video games, watched a featured movie, talked on the internet to their friends back home, danced or just kicked back and relaxed with peers. It was a way for them to reconnect for a couple of hours with what they normally do at home. The fireworks show on July 4th was better than the one we enjoy each year in Washington, DC or have seen in Las Vegas. There was also a Bahamian Independence Celebration the week we were there and their fireworks show was just as spectacular but started after midnight on July 10th. The lunch and dinner food was delicious, with generous portions and a value for the money both by the pools and at Murray's Delicatessen (service here was a bit slow). The weather cooperated (high 80's and mostly sunny with 5-10 mile/hour tradewinds) so our week couldn't have been more perfect! The clear turquoise ocean water is indescribable. The children delighted in picking up almost perfect little shells or seeing stingrays and colorful fish swim by them on occasion when they were swimming with their goggles on. Staying in the IC afforded us the opportunity to have somewhere to go in between our time in our rooms, at the pool, ocean or other activities to take in the gorgeous view of the whole resort area on one of their five balconies with tables and chairs 19 stories high while having a snack (apples, oranges, cheeses, chips, etc... and feeling pampered by the waitstaff who talks to you about your day's activities while offering to get you more to drink (pidgeons on the railing can sometimes be a nuisance). The restrooms were very clean everywhere. The Dig was interesting and educational especially to our sons who love animals and mammals alike. Although there were thousands of people at Atlantis that week we were never treated as if were just one of the crowd. Sure we were in a resort that caters to their clients, but we noticed that if you smiled and greeted the waitstaff, housekeepers, room service, towel persons, lifeguards, security, etc..they were genuine in their greeting back to you. Security did an excellent job of courteously keeping you at arms length if not further from their celebrity visitors. Our children were delighted to see a number of basketball icons, including Michael Jordan walking amongst them during the week, at the pool, walking through the casino and during a dinner. Tip: ask to stay on the Harbor side. During the day and in the late evening you see more than on the ocean side after dark, ie the ever changing cruise ships, the water taxis, the seaplanes, the yachts, the fountain in front of the hotel, beautiful sunrises, the tennis courts, lap pool, the end of the island, etc.. The whole trip was delightful because we experienced the joy of our children enjoying the resort and what the Caribbean has to offer through their eyes.

14  Thank SWCarlin
Reviewed July 19, 2003

Just returned from Atlantis, stayed in the Coral Towers. Average room, nothing special. I would try the Comfort Suites for less $. Unlike many reviewers, we found the staff very friendly. Food was a problem. LONG lines for the buffets, LATE LATE or NO availability in the other restaurants, and no place to just get a burger by the pool. The outdoor restaurants close early. The spa features either didn't work or weren't temperature controlled properly. Massage was great. Property was beautiful, smell sometimes ugly. Try Hurricane Hole shopping center for pizza, sandwiches, etc. Highlight of our trip was snorkeling with Stuart Coves. Top-notch equipment, boats and staff. Great Fun!

11  Thank cantwait2go