“needs updating!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Boston, Massachusetts
“needs updating!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

hotel rooms needed major upgrades- old rusty fixtures, leaky shower/ bathroom faucets. needed to change rooms 2 times because of that and broken air conditioner. Check-in took forever and front desk never answered the phone, and when they did they were less than pleasant (probably because of all the complaints they seemed to always be receiving!) On the flip side we found the food to be surprisingly good, the staff in the restaurants and bars very friendly and helpful, and the pool and pool deck were very clean. Dinero (front entrance) was exceptionally friendly and helpful! We were looking for a vacation to hang out by the pool, and relax (and not have to pay a boatload of money to do so). we had no issues with drunk college/high school kids- in fact there were quite a few families there. we would definatly try this hotel again (after the rooms are renovated!)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank jodi D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

First off this entire hotel needs to be shut down and renovated COMPLETELY! From the lobby to the rooms and the pool. Our room was filthy! Our bathroom was equivalent to a gas station bathroom with rusted and old fixtures, broken ceramic tiles and low water pressure. The so called restaurants serve the same withered up food every day. Who wants to eat the exact same thing everyday for 7 days, that's how long our stay was at this hotel. Each time we went down to eat, there were 5 to 7 cats that would freely walk in and out of the restaraunt. The small man made beach was full of trash and beer cans. The pool was filthy. Just dont stay here if you're looking to relax and enjoy your vacation. This was the worst experience we've ever had on vacation.

7 Thank hellokitty7776

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We ended up changing hotels in the end, that is where I will start ! All inclusive! What was included was a dirty hotel with drunk high school/ college age kids passed out in the lobby! A one hour checkin, a dirty room with a broken faucet in the bathroom, oily feeling on the floors that were dirty, rusted expised pipes, super creaky and poor mattress with a dirty mattress cover, dirty hallways, etc! The manager wouldn't cover our taxi fare to another hotel since we were checking out. He was very rude, it took almost three hours to check out of this ****hole. We found out this hotel was closing for a remodel the very next week fir more than a year! Staff didn't care about the hotel, and it showed. Ir was a special week for students, and the lack of decency showed,. Even after their remodel I wouldn't stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: Do not stay!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Laurie B
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Worst place Ever. Carpet was dirty, bathroom shower rocked from all the music. High school kids ran around naked and drunk(grad week, and We were not informed by the staff when booking). The elecator ride took a long time, you will stop at ever level(drunk kids will act kool and press the call button at ever level). One kid even urinated in the elevator. The burgers outaide by the pool were covered by flies, pool water was merky, and smelled. Needless to say we left after 3 hours because the sound of drunk kids yelling and the stairway door slamming constantly was unbearable.
Why did trip advisor delet my other review...?

4 Thank Daniel L
Lorenzo S, Manager at Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Every Guest is a Valued Guest. We were delighted to be your chosen hotel during your recent stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our special guest at Paradise Island Harbour Resort.
All of us at Paradise Island Harbour Resort strive to provide an enjoyable and relaxing guest experience and we were disappointed to learn that you encountered many shortcomings during your stay and the fact that we did not live up to your expectations.
We appreciate your business, and hope your travels will return you to our door.
Warren
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The room wasn't ready on time. The phone didn't work, towels were not available for two of the four days we were there. Hotel was overran by high school grads that ran naked in the halls and kept everyone up all night long. The pool water was covered in algae 3 of the four days we were there. This will be a source for jokes the rest of my life.

2 Thank Beachsurch
We appreciate your business, and hope your travels will return you to our door.
new castle, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I will breakdown my experience in categories:

BOOKING: CC I always book with; convenient, cheap, helpful, etc. This includes the shuttle service, customer service, etc. Prior to leaving for vacation, I found out some aspects of my hotel had changed ( see below ) so I emailed CC who informed me that all aspects are subject to change. That is my only complaint with CC, but will continue to book with them.

CHECK-IN AT PIHR: Prior to leaving, I knew it was ‘grad week’ with Student City but I figured by the end of June/beginning of July this would have ended. I was wrong. HS kids everywhere, yelling, being rude to the front desk to check in, etc. Mind you, nobody’s rooms were ready (This was a mixture of probably the prior kids refusing to check out and confusion on the hotel end). I know some people waited hours to check in, we reluctantly waited an hour or so. But, we were able to go to the lobby bar and take shots of tequila until we didn’t care anymore. We also walked out to the pool where there was a beer chugging contest going on. So I was a little freaked by first impression. I also requested to be far from the HS students and we were moved to the 10th floor. We were lucky that we were chosen a decent room, very clean, but definitely out dated. But I felt comfortable enough to walk around without shoes, shower, etc. Only issues room wise; we request King bed and got double (possibly because of the last minute room change) and our bathroom light flickered. We also would’ve liked a balcony, but none available. Our view overlooked half junkyard/half harbor/Atlantis. It was beautiful regardless.

FOOD: One of the changed aspects was that only 1 restaurant was open, the buffet. I understand the hotel was closing days after this, but the info should’ve been changed on the website. Despite this, you were still able to make reservations and order from a separate menu and be waited on in the buffet area. The food was good, sometimes cold on the buffet, but I ate every time. The bar food was delicious, conch fritters to die for! I ate at the bar every day at lunch time. I look forward to the food options after the reopening.

POOL/BEACH/ACTIVITIES: I read previous reviews on how dirty the pool was. I saw people cleaning it every morning, but it being a big pool and many people going in it, of course I saw some dirty things in there from time to time like hair, etc, that caused me to get out, but then I went to the large beach/sand area and the sectioned off harbor area and dipped in the fresh salt water. Good enough for me. The DJ blasted music all day long, probably for the kids in general, but every adult I talked to enjoyed it; especially the traditional Bahamian music played. Another aspect that changed were some of the activities listed on the site. Again, I understand they were closing soon and I’m sure they will have much more to do after reopening. But there was always music, day and night, sometimes karaoke, movie night, game times, etc. The beach bar got busy a lot because the HS kids were only allowed at this bar (Lobby bar 21 over), but it was never extremely difficult to get a drink or food. Overall, the outdoor beach/pool experience was very enjoyable. I was never bored at our resort.

HOTEL CONDITION: The hotel closed on 7/7, a few days after we checked out, so we were there for the end of the old hotel. I believe they are reopening January 2015? Of course, the hotel needed major renovation; new elevators, beach furniture, floors, etc. we expected much, much worse from the reviews, so we were delighted to get there (after the nightmare check-in) and enjoy ourselves. For the price we paid and our experience, the hotel was just peachy to us.

STAFF: The main reason why we will come back and visit PIHR after renovation is because of the STAFF! From the cleaning staff to the bartenders, entertainment, buffet staff, etc, everyone was phenomenal to us. I couldn’t have asked for better customer service, not only at the resort but island wide. Despite the staff losing their job in the following days, they never were rude, unhappy, unhelpful, etc. They made it an even better experience than anything else. Specific shout outs to the outdoor bar staff; Icelyn and all bartenders, the DJ/entertainment all day and night and never complained (Terrible T), the maid staff who left our room sparkling (despite us not having bath towels at check-in), and to the buffet worker who made the omelets every morning for hours on end, always happy.

OVERALL: This is why I gave a 4/5.. We went in with the expectation of having a terrible experience because of the students (who stayed respectful for the most part all week, but I would never book again with them there, maybe PIHR will drop their contract or whatnot with StudentCity) and despite the hotel condition (again, we expected a dump, but were very satisfied), we will definitely be back. We actually are really looking forward to coming back next year post renovations, see our old staff/friends who made our week so fun, and enjoy the new PIHR! I highly suggest all interested to book with them once they reopen!

P.S. If going to Paradise Island at all, book a day trip with Party Cat Cruises to Rose Island. $75 and greatest experience ever!

Room Tip: Balcony, floors 8 and up!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank liza719nc
Thank you for your recent stay at Paradise Island Harbour Resort and for sharing your ever so nice comments with us and to the world. We’re happy to note that you would surely return, this will be most welcomed with open arms. We also took note of all your comments with regards to our clean rooms, we’re happy that enjoyed our food and beverages, along with service and the friendliness of our staff. You made us all feel very special. We also acknowledged that there were some difficulties and shortcomings you encountered during your stay. We thank you for bringing the same to our attention as they can only serve to assist us to improve and develop our product to serve you better.
At Paradise Island Harbour Resort, our team is dedicated to providing our guest (s) with truly memorable stay experiences.
After renovations, our hotel will reopen in time for season 2015; we extend an invitation for you to return. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and hope to see you again soon.
Bowie, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Just returned from this "resort." While I realize you get what you pay for, you'd think it would include having a working phone in your room. It didn't. Check-in time was 4:00 p.m. We didn't get to our room until almost 6:00 p.m. only to find that while the room was adequate, it had no working phone. After going back down to the front desk, we were offered a change in rooms with a working phone the next day, but we couldn't get the room until after 4:00 p.m. We really just wanted to get settled in order to start our vacation. When we tried to meet with the day manager the next day, he had no time to spare to talk to us about our concerns. It would have been nice if we had been offered some type of compensation for our inconvenience like a room with a balcony or a free cab ride into town or something, but that didn't happen. In fact, we were offered nothing to compensate us for our inconvenience. Ultimately, we decided to stay in the first room because we didn't want to experience another long check in process.

The food was plentiful, it not inspiring. For the most part, the staff was very helpful, which was greatly appreciated. We'd been looking forward to this vacation to relax and unwind. We didn't get it. The hotel was overrun with students who were rude, loud, obnoxious and drunk. We didn't realize that student city and grad week were going on. It was a very trying experience.

The hotel is closing for much needed renovations. I hope the renovations include the elevators, which constantly break down, have an 8 person capacity and are very unreliable. Hopefully, when it reopens, it will be better place to stay -- as long as it's not student city or grad week.

Don't think I would stay here again even after the renovations are complete. It was a very trying and disappointing experience.

Room Tip: I can offer no tips on getting a good room. We were told we'd been upgraded to a room with a wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
Lorenzo S, Manager at Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this letter regarding your recent stay at Paradise Island Harbour Resort, Nassau, Bahamas. We appreciate the time you devoted to assists us in our efforts to continually improve and address specific guest issues.

Obviously your concern mentioned in this review indicates that we did not live up to your expectations. Please note that your concerns will be address with clear and precise directions.

In July of this year, the hotel will undergo full renovations and reopen in time for season 2015.
We hope that this will spark your interest for another visit and see the new product we will display for you when we reopen.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort when your travels return you to our door.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#12 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 stars 4,336 reviews
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to Paradise Island Harbour Resort All Inclusive? Share your experiences!