“Paradise on Paradise Island”

Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Burlington, Wisconsin
“Paradise on Paradise Island”
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Just back from my 3rd trip to this wonderful resort. This time we had 22 people in 3 condos and everyone had a wonderful time. We take full advantage of the condos and bring much of our own food and drink so that we can stay close and enjoy the pool and the beach without having to go out for all of our meals. Condo's are well stocked with cooking supplies and even a blender for making those island drinks. We took full advantage of the beach, the pool, the hammocks and we rocked Viola's on a nightly basis. The rooms were great and the staff was very helpful, beds in 208 were like sleeping on a cloud. Will definitely be back again, could not ask for a more relaxing vacation. Be sure to check out the massages offered on the beach.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank BahamaMama46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Everything was excellent at the Sunrise Beach Club. Rented villa 206 for a week with my wife. Had initially booked villa 205 but due to being caught in a website / villa update cycle, the description was incorrect on the website. SBV quickly corrected that by changing the reservation to villa 206. Everything was clean and as described. Viola's was a fine place to eat & drink. Pools (we never used them) looked clean and nice. Beach was unbelievable. It helped having perfect weather for the week, but even if we were stranded inside for days at a time it was as comfortable at home. I would love to head back in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sphopkins
ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2010

After reading all the great reviews about Sunrise...we were looking forward to a quiet stay on paradise island. Arrived Sat afternoon. Friendly staff. pleasant and .helpful. Unit was clean, carpet worn and thread bare in a couple of places. Spiral staircase is narrow and steep..a little bit of a challenge to get bags up to bedroom. TV limited channels....unable to watch college football...had soccer on instead..which..was a little disappointing but... I am in the Bahamas after all. Property looked well kept and very quite. After that...it kinda goes downhill. At Viola's...asked for an ice tea..."don't have that" later asked for a Mojito...'don't have that... not even..."we just ran out...but if you come back later..we will have more"...just plain and simple... we don't have that. period. and was tossed a drink menu my way and I was told I would "just have to pick out something else". . Food and drinks at Viola's could not be charged to our room...and credit cards had a minimum amount....$12 or $15.. Surprise!!!!! Walked down to check out the bar on the beach...more of a shanty than a bar...with music so loud...almost had to yell to have your order heard. Saturday night.. awakened at about 3am with an insect bite... turned on lights and peeled covers off bed...could not see or find anything..except the 50 cent size welt on my leg. Awakened at 730 am on Sunday to the sounds of hammers and circular saws. After breakfast off the resort... walked to the beach...very crowded and like the other reviews I had read....nothing to sit on unless you brought it yourself., so decided to spend time at the pool instead, very quite except for the hammering and circular saws. Went to the Casino at Atlantis until late afternoon...construction workers had gone. Dinner off resort. Sunday night...awakened at about 4am with another insect bite...again pulled off bed coverings...found nothing other than two separate quarter sized welts on my other leg...wife had nickel sized bite behind her ear. Monday am...checked out... five days early. Did not come to Paradise island to get chewed up while asleep. Wrote email to Chantisse......of course they have never had this happen before....and had unit checked by exterminator and found nothing but had place fumigated......so of course next couple that stayed there the following days had no issue....REALLY????? Why would have they had any issues??...the unit was fumigated AFTER we left. It was supposedly sprayed just before our arrival....but not sure what is was sprayed with...but whatever they used..it did not work. . I was very disappointed with our stay. This was our forth trip in four years to paradise island and our first and last stay at Sunrise. Very disappointed. I guess you get what you pay for.....but insect bites are free.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank gasserjcp
SBVSunLover, Owner's Representative at Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Dear Gasserjcp,

We are happy to hear that our staff continues to be pleasant and helpful. While Viola’s does serve a large variety of drinks, we are sorry that your favorites are not currently part of our menu. We appreciate hearing ideas from guests on a popular drink to consider adding to our list and thank you for your contribution.

Construction of new buildings was indeed underway and this short lived inconvenience has come to an end for this season.

Our manager was concerned that a guest found it necessary to check out because of bugs and personally visited the villa for an inspection immediately upon your departure. She also “found nothing”. It is very common in The Bahamas for no-see-ums to bite during the day and the welt not occur until later. No-see-ums are much the same kind of pest as mosquitoes are in the United States and indiscriminately choose their victims, with some people never receiving a bite and others receiving many in season. Upon our inspection, we believe that you may be the unfortunate recipient of the wrath of these uncontrollable pests. This villa remains on our diligent pest control cycle so that no guest need fear bed bugs, but lie down to a refreshing nights sleep.

Thank you for your review which helps us to evaluate our property and continue to work toward providing the best possible stay for each and every guest.
Waterford, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 8, 2010

The place was amazing, the Vilas we just spectacular. We just minutes away from down town. The staff even more amazing, their kindness and catering to our needs went above and beyond, they really made sure we had a great time, it was my 45th birthday and my first trip to the Bahamas and I will definately go back again and highly recommend Sunrise Beach Vilas, truly a special trip to remember.

2 Thank zoosareus123
Rio Grande, New Jersey
Reviewed November 6, 2010

My husband and I have visited the Bahamas many times but this trip was one for the records. We got married at The Cloisters but almost all of our friends and family stayed at SBCV. My husband, wedding party, and myself stayed in Villa #17. IT WAS FANTASTIC. It was very modern, full of great amenities, and offered plenty of space. We were very fortunate to be able to stay directly on the beach and are anxious to return again for a Villa 17 reunion party. Though it is hard to see there are a few minor things we would like changed in the unit. For the money, I expected a little more privacy. We would be sitting on the deck in the late evening and would see security by the palm trees on our deck or walking past our windows, it is a little freaky. I was upset that there was no direct beach access from our unit. When you are staying beachfront, I don't want to leave the villa to get to the beach. Lastly, only 1 of the 5 bedrooms had a TV. Though there is a TV in the living room, loft, and suite living quarters; it caused a battle for rooms.
The SBCV was great. The staff was awesome and very accomadating. We were a large, rowdy and loud group but we welcomed, in stead of reprimanded.
My rehersal dinner was on the beach at the SBCV, Violas catered and did a great job. It was a little costly and almost equaled the amount at Lucianos for my wedding reception, but well worth it.
Violas was awesome. Being at the locals hang out was neat. The food was great and the $2.00 tacos were phenominal. Service wasn't the best at Violas. It was very slow...... we thought it was because of our large groups but it was slow when 2-4 of us were eating there. Work on improving that for our next visit. I am all about being on vacation and being relaxed and layed back but 1 hour and 45 minutes for 3 tacos is absurd!
The front desk did an awesome job as our consierge. Chantisse worked with my group and I very well to make sure all of our needs were met.
There is sooo much too type but all in all. I will be continually visiting the Sunrise Beach Club and Villa.

3 Thank trendykp
Berlin, Connecticut
Reviewed October 30, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here 10/16-10/23 and it was a timeshare exchange. First of all, we loved Paradise Island; however, Atlantis has it all locked up and there are few resorts that aren't part of Atlantis, which is very expensive. Sunrise Beach Villas was perfectly adequate. It was a great location - 5 minute walk from Atlantis on the street and some villas were on the beach (not ours). I liked the setup a lot - LR, DR, 1/2 bath and kitchen downstairs, and a spiral staircase leading to a large bedroom and full bath upstairs. The only reservation I had is that it would use updating. The carpet was worn a bit and the appliances were old. However, it seemed that there were new tile floors. The staff there were very friendly, however, and helpful. The woman at the desk can make all your reservations for you, etc.

As for dinners, we stayed away from Atlantis restaurants because they were so outrageous so we went into Nassau a lot (mostly walking). Highly recommend Luciano's and also Montagu Gardens (taxi there). Also liked Cafe Matisse. Then we went to Anthony's and Columbus Tavern, the only 2 restaurants in Paradise Island not associated with Atlantis and they were both good. Anthony's is great for breakfast; however, we discovered the best breakfast (and the best deal) in town was Viola's right at the resort!

A must-see is Versailles Gardens inside The One&Only Ocean Club right near Atlantis. It's beautiful!! And it's also free. You can get there from the street too.

We would go back again and we heard they're always doing renovations too.

2 Thank meow5834
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 27, 2010

This was my 5th trip down to the Bahamas, and without a doubt, the Sunrise is thee best place to stay on the island. By far the cleanest place I have stayed on the island. The entire staff was friendly, caring, and went out of their way to meet our needs. I would highly reccommed The Sunrise to anyone planning on going to Paradise Island!! I didnt want to leave, and I cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection

Been to Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas? Share your experiences!