“Fantastic”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Courtice, Canada
“Fantastic”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We rented privately with John Fitzsimmons, who was extremely informative and accommodating.
We stayed in unit 12, and it was a great location as it was an end unit with a beautiful patio, and a lovely view. It is an extremely quiet resort, and a great location for everything, such as shopping, casino, marina village, dining, all within walking distance. The beach is the best, with no overcrowding, and if you want seadoo rentals, they are half price after 4 in the afternoon.
About $35.00 plus a tip for 30 minutes, which my daughter and I did, and it was fantastic.
The beach is clean, with warm calm water, and not the overcrowding of the beach area by Riu and Atlantis. You can have a massage or drink on the beach by local vendors if you want.
Violas was okay, I loved my breakfast but my husband found the bacon portions skimpy 2 small pieces, and the drinks are expensive at $9.00 each, so have so liquor in you unit and make your own. Be prepared to spend about double on groceries, but it is still cheaper to cook yourself than going out every night to overrated restaurants. Example Lays potato chips $4.95 a bag American. The ferry to downtown in within walking distance also, and it a fun narrated trip for $4.00 per person. Cabs are expensive but readily available, and try a set a price before you get in as they do vary between cab drivers. The bus service is great in downtown Nassau and $1.25 each, with lots of them going all over Nassau. The cab drivers will also wait for you if you want to shop if arranged before with the charge being set before you go. Also, have patience as you are on Bahamian time which is very slow.

Room Tip: If you can rent one of John's unit any one of them you will be pleased, as I think he has 4.
2 Thank heather c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were on a 4-night getaway from the snow. Neither of us is into the largeness of an Atlantis-type resort - this one is perfect: on the same beach, smaller property, right on the beach, with a small pool, beautiful grounds, one restaurant if you want to eat out, but stay in :) We were in 102 - a corner room. 2 storey with bed upstairs. Really good set up. Careful with the stairs tho - it's steep and goes in a circle so if you have vertigo, it will be a no-go! Clean. Great maid service. We got groceries and had breakfast in every day plus a couple of dinners in……can't say enough good things. Staff is friendly as well - which is a huge plus for me. Met the lovely David- the gardner and he made me a very very happy person with the gift of some fresh water coconuts. OMG. Oh and we had a patio for sitting out all hours of the day or night. NO BUGS….I don't know how that happened, but no mosquitos. Just awesome:) Paradise Island…..yes we were in paradise:)

Room Tip: Maybe try for a villa with a balcony - that might add to the air circulation up stairs (although it...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank geetap
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed in villa 7 at Sunrise for 6 nights and it was a perfect setup for a family visit. The property has a nice pool and provides easy access to a gorgeous beach. It's a short walk to Atlantis and it's nice to be able to leave Atlantis for a mellower, less crowded space. Our unit had a kitchen that was well-appointed and two full bathrooms. We also had nice outdoor space with a table & chairs and bbq. Carla at the front desk was terrific and very helpful arranging transportation and answering questions about PI. The restaurant staff is also very nice and accommodating, though we only grabbed tacos there.

Room Tip: There's one villa with a balcony overlooking the ocean that seemed pretty primo!
2 Thank Lizzy K
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My family of four just returned from staying six nights in unit 108. We enjoyed the location on gorgeous Cabbage Beach and the quiet atmosphere that was still walking distance to restaurants in Marina Village and all the fun of Atlantis (we got day passes there for one day).

We rented the property through an independent owner through vrbo.com, though, and so the staff here treated us horribly. When we arrived last Saturday, after getting up at 4 a.m. and traveling for 12 hours, there had been a miscommunication between myself and the unit 108 owner, and he had forgotten to give me the code to the lockbox where the key for the unit was stored. My husband and my two young daughters and I hauled all our luggage and our groceries to the unit and began trying to solve the problem. First, my husband went to the office, explained the problem, and asked if there was a master key from housekeeping that they could use to let us in, after verifying, of course, that we had reserved the unit. They said no, which is understandable; I get that it's a privately owned unit and they don't manage the rental situation.

Next, I went to the office. I had written down the owner's phone number for emergencies such as this, but we hadn't purchased a calling plan for the Bahamas, so I couldn't use my cell to call him and get the code for the key box. I apologized for bothering the staff, explained our situation, and asked very nicely if I could use the office phone to make the phone call to the owner. The woman at the desk refused. First, she said that it was because the unit was not managed by them. When I asked again, she said that she would let me if it was a local call, but not if it was long distance (it was). Of course I immediately said I'd be more than happy to pay for the call, and she still refused. I stood there dumbfounded. I explained that we'd been traveling more than 12 hours with two young children and we were standing outside the unit unable to get in, but this problem could be solved with one quick phone call. She still refused.

We ended up getting into the unit a few minutes later, after going up to a random stranger and asking if we could use his cell phone. He immediately agreed, and we reached the owner, who told us the code for the key box and apologized profusely.

We went on to have a warm, sunny week at Sunrise Beach Club, but I still can't get over the way we were treated so horribly by the office staff. If Sunrise doesn't want its owners to rent their units, they should change their policy. We were made to feel like we'd broken some law by renting through a private owner and I can't imagine what kind of service Sunrise staff provides to their guests when they wouldn't let a family in need make a simple, one-minute phone call and instead left us standing outside helplessly until a stranger gladly helped us. Unforgivable from a customer service perspective.

9 Thank Stephanie D
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We spent a week here during February and would go back. We stayed in a 2 BR villa which was comfortable and had everything we needed. Our 2 kids made use of the lovely swimming pool and we were only steps from the beach. The beach is public though so you do get regular entreaties by roving entrepreneurs to purchase things like parasailing riding a banana boat, and a session of hair braiding. Also, invitations to get "coco loco" abound as local guys troll the beach exhorting sunbathers to stop thinking and start drinking. Back to the accommodations...the staff was always friendly and helpful and Carla at the front desk seemed to be invested in us having a really good stay. The housekeeping was a nice perk and the sheets/towels very comfy. The TV/cable selection was slim. Just basic cable and on one of the TVs the remote didn't really work. We aren't big TV watchers but if we were this would have been a drag. We were a little disappointed with the onsite restaurant/bar Viola's. The food was just ok - kind of bland. Not one veggie except a simple salad was available. And conch seemed to be the only fish available, whether fried, chopped or made into a patty for a burger. It would have been nice to look forward to a meal at Viola's rather than seeing it as the last resort when you just don't feel like cooking or going anywhere. The location of the resort is great. A less than ten minute walk to Atlantis yet feels completely removed it. You do need to deal with getting daily Atlantis passes though, and you can't do that via Sunrise or anything.

Room Tip: we had a villa on the edge of the property and it was quiet and felt private. There are some units...
1 Thank travel2unravel
Milwaukee WI
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was our first time at Sunrise Beach Club. It is a fantastic location with a beautiful beach and nice pools. Very relaxing!! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The on-property restaurant /bar is convenient and fun and Atlantis is walking distance. Our unit was clean and well appointed. Couldn't ask for more. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LKMilwaukee
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We spent 3 nights here in Jan. and had a great stay. Nassau is not my kind of island, I prefer remote and the less people the better but we had a 3 day layover and made the most of it. Sunrise was super close to Atlantis without being in the mass of humanity and the place had a very relaxed vibe. The people at the front desk were all very nice and our unit was very clean and well appointed. The beds were comfortable and the AC worked great, as did the wifi, which I wish was free but at least it was fast and they gave me a great discount when I paid up front for 3 days. Plenty of nice beach towels at the desk and a quiet pool.

Room Tip: I liked being up on the second level.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
One & Only Ocean Club
One & Only Ocean Club
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas? Share your experiences!