“Very Chill-Very Relaxing”

Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have stayed at Sunrise Beach club twice now and if you want to relax this is a great place. Close enough to Atlantis to walk in 5 minutes, but far enough away to escape the insanity. The staff at Sunrise Beach is fabulous. They make you feel so welcome and they do their best to make sure everything is perfect.
The units are very clean and in good working order. The pool is quiet and clean. The restaurant is good for breakfast and lunch. Nothing fancy, just good food and great drinks.
I've already booked for next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank toybuscookies

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have stayed in different properties on both cable beach and cabbage beach and this was my 2nd stay in two years at Sunrise Beach Club and Villas. The property is nicely situated steps from the ocean and boasts two nicely kept pool areas, (with plenty of lounge chairs) along with a full service restaurant serving breakfast lunch and dinner, along with drinks. Our trip consisted of a number of longtime friends, and we rented directly from the owner of Unit 12A, a fully equipped, 2nd floor 2 bedroom, 2 full bath beautiful unit that has a balcony that overlooks the pool, with an ocean view. Our stay was phenomenal! Between the wonderful accommodations, the poolside/ocean lounging, the afternoon snacks, pre-dinner cocktails, and the laughs, the relaxing and fun was endless. The ocean/beach area is remarkable. The Restaurant/Bar (privately operated from what I understand) at night was lively with nice locals after our walk back from dinners/shopping at Atlantis. Bartenders/waitresses friendly and fun. If you are a traveler who despises waiting 20 minutes for an elevator or walking 15 minutes to a pool, ocean, or restaurant, amongst a crowd of people, this is the place for you. The property is staffed with security so any wandering sightseers from the cruise ships/other hotels are persona nongrata and are treated as such. On a final note, and as a relatively seasoned traveler, my preference at this property are the poolside/oceanfront units. Unit 12A was without a doubt a great spot, appropriately advertised, and did not disappoint. Thank you John (owner) for making our lives simple with the ease in the process, so we could focus on spending time with one another, creating more memories, and laughing a lot. Thanks for sharing your slice of Heaven with us! We will back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank lake471
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I don't know where these negative reviews are coming from!!!!!!!!!!!! We got engaged in the Bahamas October 2012 we visited some friends that were staying here and fell in love with place so much so that we decided to have our wedding here October 2013...
It was amazing the staff was great Regia, Leo, Jackson and everyone that worked there. I can't say enough good things about them they took care of everything little thing that we needed. We were not a small group either 50 people attended the wedding and stayed for the week..
We rented rooms out front through the hotel as well as Villas through private owners 12,12A,9,9A and 15. They were all very clean and updated. Kitchens are equipped with everything you could possibly need. Plenty of things with in walking distance Atlantis, beach, shopping and dining you name it...
If you want a great vacation look no further this is the place!!!!! Can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank 1deena3
Reviewed January 2, 2014

If you're considering a stay at this facility, I encourage you to read this entire report. Regardless of your decision, you will at least be well-informed.

For two years we planned and saved for a family vacation after Christmas. This included 8 adults and three children. We booked two condos - Numbers 204 and 208 - about 8 months in advance. We had communications about these specific condos as recently as two days before arrival.

When we arrived, we found that we no longer had Condo 204, but had been moved to Unit #1. The clerk could not explain why the change was made but only showed us a note that the manager had done it. This was on Thursday evening and the manager would not return until Monday morning. The office closes at 7 p.m. and no manager was on site during the Thursday - Monday period.

There were no problems with unit 208.

When we arrived at Unit 1, we were dismayed. As we inspected, it only got worse. In terms of preparation, the food we had ordered in advance had not been taken to the room (and some was apparently stolen as it was left outside the office). There was no potable water jug (which we had ordered). The beds were not configured as we had requested. Internet service did not work. Phone did not work

However, those were mere annoyances. The real problems resided with the condo itself. Every shower had mold. Every metal fixture was rusted. Exterior screen was torn. Ceiling plaster in a bathroom was falling. Windows were very dirty. Oven didn't work consistently. Light bulbs were missing. The wooden frame of the exterior sliding doors was rotten.

It's important to keep in mind that this is a condo for which we're paying $1,000 per night.

The staff did what they could to address minor problems, like the internet and phone. However, they were never able to come up with a stand for the potable water and they couldn't even provide water on Saturday and Sunday so we had to go to a store about 1.5 miles away and get 5-gallon jugs back to Sunrise.

More on problem-solving later.

The beach is very nice. It's not far from the Atlantis resort. However, it's also where cruise ships bring people on beach excursions, so it can get pretty crowded by early afternoon.

Sunrise is about a half hour cab ride from the airport and transportation is fairly expensive. There is a small shopping area, with a restaurant and Dunkin Donuts within walking distance.

Sunrise has an open air bar/restaurant on the property. It's OK, but nothing special. Prices are reasonable for the area.

Now for the most fun part of our Sunrise experience. When the manager arrived on Monday, she was expecting me. The staff was very aware of our dissatisfaction. The place was full, so we had no opportunity to move to another condo.

When I met the manager, Sharron, I reiterated our dissatisfaction and gave her a list of our complaints/problems. I asked her why we were moved and who had made the decision. She said she had no idea (I knew, though - she did). She asked me to give her a few minutes to investigate.

I returned in about 15 minutes. She said she had been very busy and said she would call me in the condo within five minutes (Lie #2). After 20 minutes I returned. She said she was still investigating. I asked if she had determined who made the switch. She said she did not yet know.

We had to leave for a boat excursion, so she said she would leave information at the desk. I told her that was not acceptable and I wanted to talk with her in detail and I said we expected significant compensation for this outrageous situation.

When we returned about six hours later, she again said she understood that we had requested the change. I told her that was absolutely untrue and that I had copies of every communication we had exchanged. She quickly backed off and said she had no idea who had made the change. She apologized for the problems and said she could deduct $250 from our bill.

Wow! How generous. This was on a total bill of about $10,000. She seemed surprised that I did not think that was sufficient. She said we were already getting a great benefit because unit #1 has a list rental price of $1400/day and we were getting it for $985. I nearly choked on that logic and told her that was their choice - not ours. When she ultimately got to a credit of $985 I gave in out of frustration and exhaustion. She did admit that they have had many complaints about that unit and that it is privately owned and Sunrise merely manages for the owner. She said they have regularly encouraged the owner to bring it up to standards, but they have no control over private owners.

Note to management: If you know it's in poor condition, stop renting it!

We're pretty sure that the change was made because someone else checked in, saw the condition of Unit #1 and demanded to be moved. Unit 204 was open because we hadn't arrived yet, so they moved that group. By the time we arrived, everything was full.

No, that's not the end of this saga.

When we went to settle the bill, we went through the charges and signed the bill. When we came back to get our copy of the credit card charge, we found that they had added $55 above the amount we had signed for.

When we questioned the manager, she said it was for internet charges. She said two people in our group had come to get codes for the internet. In reality, two members of our party went to the office to report that the internet connection was not working (it took most of the day to get a defective router replaced and we were told there would be no charge for the internet. We said they would have to remove that charge. By this point, we were in a hurry, because transportation to the airport had arrived. When we got a new copy of the credit card charge (which they resisted giving us), we saw that they had removed $44, rather than $55. We asked why and the manager said we could contest it with the credit card company if we wanted to. (We will).

We are not yet sure, but we may also have had a duplicate charge on another credit card. We initially gave them one card, but told them to place all charges against a different card when we checked out. We tore up the charge authorization on the original card. When we got home, we found that they have made one charge on the original card and one charge on the second. We're not yet sure if there has been a duplicate charge, but we know they didn't follow the instructions we gave them.

Hold on! It gets even better...

When we got home, my wife and I both found that we have extensive bites consistent with bedbugs - straight line bites in series of three. We're pretty miserable with severe itching. Our memories of Sunrise continue to be with us.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

Room Tip: It doesn't seem to matter what you choose, because they reserve the right to make changes.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
42  Thank littletm
SBVSunLover, Property Representative at Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Horrified! That is how badly we feel that a guest feels their experience was not top notch. We immediately instigated a bed bug investigation and none were detected. Sand fly bites from the beach often are misconstrued as bed bug bites, as the sand flies are so small they cannot often be seen, therefore their nickname of Noseeums.

Both units #1 and #208 were reserved in March of 2013, whereas unit #204 was not reserved until September of 2013. Our staff noted that the decision to book unit #1 was based on it being a ground floor unit, whereas #204 is a second floor unit. They recalled that this mutual decision was agreed upon by all in March when the reservation was booked, because some older family members would be better served if they did not have to climb stairs.

Our dismay does not end there and we have contacted the owner to review each and every deficiency you have presented to us and resolve any which may exist. Unit #1 is currently under a long term rental for four months and no issues have been brought to our attention. We thank you for review which we have presented to the owner.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

We did not stay at this resort, but this was the closest restaurant to where we stayed. Came here for dinner our first night. I had the cracked conch dinner and my husband had the cracked conch burger. The food was fantastic. The restaurant is open air and is a bit of a sports bar with TV's showing different games. We came back to Viola's for breakfast and had the cheese omelets. Another fabulous meal. Later in the week we came back and I had the barbequed ribs - wow, they were some of the best I've ever had. The waitresses were wonderful and lots of fun to chat with. Friday night is karaoke and we had a great time. The bartender also did a super job with some Long Island Ice Teas. Prices were reasonable for the area. I think the most we spent for the rib dinner, hamburger dinner, 3 drinks and a coke was $70.00. Breakfast was about $20.00 for the two of us. Definitely a must do while on the island.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Ate here thanks to reviews on TA. Overall, it was decent. We ordered the cracked conch with fries, foot-long hotdog and a side of coleslaw. Reasonably priced, especially compared to other Altantis area restaurants. Great outdoor seating- there was a lovely breeze the night we went. We took the A- shuttle (Atlantis shuttle) to Beach hotel and walked the couple blocks from there. The hotdog was good enough, but the bun was a little hard. The coleslaw was good and so were the fries. The cracked conch however was extremely bland and wasn't much better with conch fritter sauce ( I ended up not eating most of it). I would try them again on a future trip to Paradise Island, but will get something else.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I are not a fan of going out to eat all time. We were pleasantly surprised Sunrise Villa. Our one-room villa (114) had a full kitchen with living room/dinning room/kitchen combo and bedroom upstairs. Perfect for us. When our a/c died, we didn't say anything for two days. The staff was wonderful and said we should have said something sooner. They fixed it immediately. When we go back to the Bahamas, this is where we are staying again.

Room Tip: We went in the off-season so it is hard to tell. But 114 was perfect.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
#14 of 14 in Paradise Island
2 mi away
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection

Been to Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas? Share your experiences!