“Don't Stay Here”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
new york
“Don't Stay Here”
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I just returned yesterday from a stay at this property from Sept 2 -5. It was lousy to say the least. The rooms smell musty, the pool is cloudy, the lounge chairs are rusted and the breakfast is horrible. the linens are so low quality it makes you itch. there is no one to help you with luggage, if you want to check your flight you must use a pay phone. the desk won't call for you.
I traveled with my 6 yr old daughter and i am used to nice hotels but i fiqured i can grin and bare it with her. If you are a Ritz Carlton type of person-- Don't stay here. Yes the amenities at the Atlantis make it a good deal but still in my opinion not worth it.
I requested a new room but didn't get it. Check in is a strict 3 pm. which is rediculous. some rooms should be ready prior to that but they won't release them. All the food is very pricey .
You must rent jet skis , i went to blue lagoon island there are private inlets whre you can park it on the sand and swim in shalow water. it was the highlight of my trip.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everthing
  • Tips/Secrets — go to blue lagoon for a private romantic time
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank suki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2006

We stayed here August 23-30, 2006 and enjoyed our experience. I requested the newer East Wing and got a non-smoking room with double beds (instead of the King we asked for). The room and amenities were very good, except for the sofabed mattress which was in need of replacement. The room faced the construction area, but it was never a problem for us in regards to noise as others have mentioned. I would definitely stay away from rooms on the second floor of the older West Wing, which is the main corridor to get to Atlantis.

As others have suggested, you should laminate your Atlantis pass with plastic or sealing tape to preserve it for the week. We also used a large mouth plastic jug to fill with ice to take to the pools.

The free breakfast was very good, unless you are low-carbing it, and there was always plenty to eat. For other meals we tried Anthony's Grill, Green Parrot, News Cafe (all on PI) which were in the "affordable" category. We headed to Nassau one day for the fish fry and a few souvenirs, which we cheaper than PI but you need to factor in the cost of transportation.

Atlantis is huge, so make sure you get a map and explore all of the pools, slides, and marine life. The kids enjoyed feeding the sea turtles and stingrays nearly every day!

We snorkled with Stuart Cove's and had a great time. This included a swim with non-man eating sharks!

In general I recommend CS for your trip to Atlantis.

• Stayed August 2006
13 Thank homeryah
Miami
Reviewed August 25, 2006

The staff members at the Comfort Suites are extremely nice and friendly. My friend and I went to the Bahamas to celebrate our birthdays (being born a day apart.) From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated like royalty. It was a great experience.
The bed bugs are true, I had a few bites and so did my friend. I noticed little red bumps after the first night and seeing as how I just got back and I noticed that I have few new ones.
I think it's time for them to change the mattresses. September is there slow season so hopefully it will be on their list of things to do.
Nonetheless, the price is right, the breakfast is decent, and taking advantage of all the Atlantis amenities is priceless.

• Liked — Location next to Atlantis
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs and Noise from Construction
  • Tips/Secrets — Negotiate price on everything.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank kacao
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 18, 2006

We got to the hotel about 12:30, and as previous reviewers have stated, they are very strict about their 3pm check in time. We got some lunch and went to Atlantis (with the card CS gives you), but after an hour of walking around, we were tired and wanted to go to the room. We did get in a half hour early, but only after someone else made a pretty big deal about it. The room was nice and spacious, but it smelled a little when you first walked in. Our room was located right next to the vending machines, the pool, and the door that most people went out to get to Atlantis. So although it was pretty convenient for us to come and go to the beach, we had some issues hearing everybody else come and go to the beach past our room. We also had issues with the staff making excessive noise in the morning (we like to sleep in).
Talking about noise, the construction outside our room started at 7am with the airhorn, letting workers know that it was time to start their day. On one morning, we had some heavy machinery working very close to our patio door.
While noise disturbed our mornings, the luxury of having full access to Atlantis' amenitites made our stay in Nassau enjoyable and relaxing. Our recommendation is to stay at comfort suites, but to make sure that you call ahead and request a room away from the construction and noise. Please remember as you walk the halls to be courteous to others.

• Liked — Location, Price
  • Disliked — noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Call in advance for a room away from construction
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank gromit407
Eagleville, PA
Reviewed August 15, 2006

We visited the week of August 6-12. Two of us plus our 2 1/2 year old son. There was a lot to like, but it was mostly the Atlantis.

The room was OK, about what you would expect, overall. We encountered the following (mostly minor) problems, but they do add up a bit . . .
1. Check-in was a bit of a pain. When they say check-in is at 3:00, they mean it. Lots of people milling around the lobby waiting for 3:00 so they can actually get to their rooms. Then a big line when the clock strikes 3.
2. We had bugs. Not tons of them, but we saw at least 1-2 every day. Not a huge deal for us, but I know that it is for a lot of people. Just from experience, if you want to avoid bugs in the carribean, get a room above the ground floor (2nd floor is the ground floor here, which is where we stayed).
3. The icemaker on our hall never worked. we had to go up to the 3rd floor to get ice. Plus, the vending machines were only about half-full (not that we would have used them, but maybe this is a big deal for smeone out there, and it did add to the overall impression of average-ness associated with this place).
4. We came back to the room every day for my son's nap at about 1:00. On one of the days, our room hadn't had housekeeping yet. No problem, really. When we left a little before 4:00 I noticed they were still cleaning on the 3rd floor (since I wanted some ice for our water bottle before we left). So I hoped they would get back. They didn't. Still, no problem, I wasn't really expecting it, I was just hoping. The problem was the next day. In the morning I went to the front desk to ask if they could get us done before noon and If I could have the $8 housekeeping charge deducted from my bill for the previous day. What a hassle! You would think I was asking for a refund on the room! I was immediately told that there was no fixed schedule for housecleaning and that by being in my room when they came to clean my room I had "declined" housekeeping for that day. When I didn't accept that answer, I was taken to the manager. It's like I was buying a car or something. Eventually, I got taken care of, but I did (and still do) resent the fact that they made me work so hard for a fairly simple request. I am not a complainer, and I hate that they made me be one!!! And then at checkout, I noticed that they didn't actually take off the housekeeping charge. They didn't give me a hard time when I pointed it out, but still . . .
5. One one of the days, we lost our power several times. The alarm clock was blinking 12:00 when we came back to our room in the afternoon, and while our son was taking his nap, it must have gone on and off at least 3 tmore times. I think it was due to the construction (which we could hear, but it didn't really bother us overall).
6. I just read the previous review complaining about bedbugs. IMy son did get a bit of am odd rash at the end of the week. I can't say that that's what it was, but I have to wonder now . . .

All that said, the room really was OK overall, and a heck of a lot cheaper than it would have been at the Atlantis. The distance is not that much farther (although I have to admit, with a 2 year-old, that extra distance seemed a lot farther that it would have otherwise).

Some more observations about the Atlantis, etc:
1. Make sure you go see all the fish! They are all over the place, they are awesome, and they are all different It's not just the Dig. Cross the rope bridge and look down at the full-grown hammerhead sharks. Wow! We didn't even realize until we got home that we missed the lagoon with sea turtles :(
2. The week we were there the beach was unusable for most of the week due to jellyfish. The signs on the beach indicated that it was "jellyfish season," and they weren't kidding. I'm not sure when jellyfish season runs, but if you want to swim in the ocean, you might want to do some research so you can avoid it.
3. The pools are great. If you have kids, make sure you go over to the far side to check out the kids' pool over there. It's really on the edge of the resort, so you might miss it if you're not looking for it. It's got a huge water playground apparatus. Great fun!
4. Yes, everything is expensive. Just be prepared for it and don't fret over it. Eat breakfast at the hotel (it's not great, but it is free). I found that I preferred to go ahead and get the expensive meal. If you're going to spend too much anyway, go ahead and spend $38 for a good steak or a piece of fish, rather than $25 for a plate of penne pasta. We liked Anthony's (the food was pretty good, the entertainment was bad, but our son loved it anyway). The Italian place in Hurricane Hole was pretty good too.
5. Atlantis is a great place if you have kids, especially if they're a little bit older. But I wouldn't go there if you're looking for peace and quiet or a romantic getaway.

• Liked — Inexpensive way to enjoy Atlantis
  • Disliked — Just a bunch of little problems
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
18 Thank Steve888
louisville, ky
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We just got back from a 7 night stay at the Comfort Suites. We had been to Atlantis before and were familiar with the location of the Comfort Suites. We also knew that the hotel offered the use of Atlantis amenities to its guests. Thinking that this would be an economical alternative to Atlantis, we decided to try it out. Although our stay there was reasonably satisfying, (The rooms were spacious. The complimentary breakfast was convenient. The Atlantis amenities were fabulous, as always.) when we got back we noticed the development of literally hundreds of insect bites on all of us. These were diagnosed as bedbug bites. (Apparently, they often times show up only days after the initial bites) To give further credence to this review, I want you to know that I am a physician, myself. I have two young children, ages 5 and 8. It is completely miserable watching them go through this. Furthermore, all of our luggage is still sitting in the garage, for fear of bringing any of these bugs into our own house. Although bedbug bites are largely considered a simple annoyance, I will tell you that being bitten hundreds of times transcends an annoyance. Furthermore, my kids are scratching their bites, and I am concerned that they will become secondarily infected. I consider this hotel a health hazard and would never stay there again.

29 Thank familytraveler1
New York
Reviewed August 2, 2006

Before the trip, i was obviously nervous about the hotel. I was torn between booking at atlantis and comfort suites...in the end, after reading the reviews, i decided to book at the comfort suites expecting nothing. when we got to the hotel, hotel staff was warm and friendly and check-in happened without any problems. We got the room on the East Wing which was newly built/renovated, and i would recommend travelers to go for that. our room was very nice, better than what i expected. obviously, one big advantage was that you get to use all atlantis facilities...and we did just that. we never used comfort suites pool. other thing was its complimentary breakfast which was very good...i had read some reviews complaining about it...but it is not. also, the walk from CS to atlantis is no more than 10 mins. one disappointing thing was that the water in comfort suites smelled...but i found out that this was the problem at atlantis too. and that s why bottled water is a big hit all over the island! overall, we had great fun at CS and Paradise island...and i wanted to thank all the travelers who wrote their own reviews about the hotel and the island itself. That helped us a lot!

• Liked — great location, complimentary breakfast, good for budget travellers
  • Disliked — smelly water
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
17 Thank Saumin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to Comfort Suites Paradise Island? Share your experiences!