“great vacation at a bargain”

Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed February 3, 2006

we had a lovely time during our week stay at comfort suites. because you can use ALL the facilities at atlantis and even have stuff charged back to your room, it's like staying at the guest house of the atlantis! i'd go back tomorrow. we had read most of the reviews listed here and so many of them were helpful during our stay. we had the continental breakfast (english muffins, bagels, muffins, toast, cereals, donuts, fruit, coffee and juice, everyday and there is a microwave in that breakfast area that you can use anytime if you have leftovers from a meal at any of the local restaurants. Food is VERY expensive. Taxi was $45 for 3 of us from airport which included $10 for the driver to stop at a supermarket so we could buy some snacks, bottled water, and soda for the room. check in is a strict 3 pm, so we sat poolside and had lunch until our room was ready. we were nice to the people at check-in and they were nice to us. rooms were adequate and clean. there's a dollar/day charge to use the safe in the room. we ate at carmine's (atlantis marina village) which was excellent and served family style so two meals was more than enough for three adults. we spent all our time in the atlantis pools and at their beach but the walk over there is a good one. bring plenty of singles because the pool attendants find you chairs and set up your towels on the chairs and you are always tipping someone. music and dancing in the dragon's lounge in atlantis casino on friday and saturday with a cover to get in, but free for comfort suite guests (just bring your ID card with you all the time - it is only paper so it is a good idea to put it in a little plastic sleeve or small zip lock bag) The library at atlantis allows free 15 minute internet access and you sign in and the wait is never long ... can't go in there with wet bathing suits.
we didn't bring a roller cooler, but we always carried a small collapsable 6-pack size cooler with water and soda when we went to the pools or the beach..it saves you a bundle. One night to Senior Frog near the straw market (over the bridge - cab is $4 one way per person) for dinner ... place is a party haven on tues, fri and sat nights with $7 cover charge (my 18 and 24 years old daughters loved it)... but quiet rest of the week and no cover. Best place to eat at atlantis pools is "the cave" (a little better than "sharkbites") the "cave" has the best selection and all the "fixin's" to put on top of your burgers or franks. another night we ate at seafire in marina village expensive but worth every penny .. bring sunscreen (it was $13 there) everything is expensive as it has to be shipped in from the states. Ate at Conch Fritters in Nassau .. don't bother. atlas grill in atlantis casino not too good either, but murry's deli at the atlantis is great and you can sit outside at their little bistro tables and watch all the beautiful yachts of the rich and famous in the marina. bamini road was okay (in marina village) but not as good as seafire or carmines. there is a small mall across the street from comfort suites and liquor is just as cheap there as over the bridge in Nassau, somethings even more reasonable. also in marina village is Hagan Daz ice cream (1 scooop $3.80, 2 scoops $6 and $9 for 3 scoops), and starbucks . on friday and saturday nights, we saw the beautiful dancing marina band parading and dancing with all the tourists in the street. drinking and gambling age is 18 in the bahamas. (my 18 year old thought she was in paradise -- and she was!! we all were, for a week)

27  Thank thelauros

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 21, 2006

I stayed at the Comfort Suites and I have no complaints. It was exactly what I expected....a room to sleep in so that we could spend our time and money at the Atlantis. You can not expect to stay at the Comfort Suites and be impressed by the hotel. It is the Comfort Suites, not a luxury hotel. If that is what you are looking for than you should spend the extra money and stay at the Altantis. You get what you pay for.
Check in was very easy and the staff was really friendly. Just as other reviewers have said, it's all about how you act. If you are nice to them, they are nice to you.
We stayed in the old wing which we liked better because it was closer to the Atlantis. The room was clean and functional. We didn't go on vacation planning to sit in our hotel room, so it was perfect for what we needed. Each day we woke up, got ready for the beach/pool and went over to the Atlantis. Came back only to change for dinner and then left for the Atlantis again. It was so worth it to pay half of what we would have at the Atlantis and use that extra money on dinners, spa, etc.
We didn't use anything at the Comfort Suites, except for our room. We didn't even bother trying the free breakfast or anything. We stayed there only for the purpose of being able to use the Atlantis facilities and it was worth it.
I honestly have no complaints about the hotel. If you are extrememly picky and want to sit in your hotel room the whole week and complain, this isn't the place for you. However, if you like to have a fun, active vacation with a positive attitude....you will have a great time and you will be glad that you had some extra money to use on other things.
I would definitely stay here again.

26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 20, 2006

After reading the reviews on this site after I had already booked the Comfort Suites, I was expecting the worse. However, we have just returned and it is like some people were staying at a different hotel!

Rooms: Our room was very clean, spacious and everything was in working order. Remember this is only a 3 star hotel, you get what you pay for and I was very impressed with our room for the price paid.

Access to Atlantis: This is by far the best thing about this hotel, being able to use all the facilities of the Atlantis and not have to pay the expensive price. Atlantis is at the most a 3 minute walk away so don't believe the reviews complaining about the distance the Atlantis is from the Comfort Suites. One negative point (although this is not against the Comfort Suites), there are no lockers at Atlantis so unless you want to walk across the road in your swim suit, you will have to take it in turns to go down the slides. I went with my husband and we could not go on some of the rides because we had no-where to store our bags while we were swimming and it is not much fun going on the rides by yourself!

Breakfast: Remember this is complimentary so I don't understand why people who have given a bad review of this hotel expect so much. Or what people normally have for their breakfast! There is something for everyone in the buffet and you can go up and help yourself however many times you want! There is a selection of cereals, toast, bagels, muffins, doughnuts and fruit (watermelon or fruit salad). Excellent.

Staff: The staff at the Comfort Suites are very polite and friendly. I must say that this does differ from other people on the Island! I thought the people in the Bahamas were supposed to be friendly! I found them to be very rude, talking under their breath when they were serving you and just their overall manner. Even at Atlantis, I found the staff rude.

Expense: The resort is very expensive but there are restaurants that you can eat in that are resonable. One place I would recommend for value is Murray's Diner in the Marina Village. However, be prepared, the portions that they serve you are enough for two! Especially the desserts, I have never seen such a big portion of chocolate cake being served!

Overall: I did enjoy my holiday to Paradise Island but I would say that a week is plenty of time to explore everything on the Island. We took the ferry over to Nassu and Nassu is horrible and run down. We didn't feel comfortable at all walking around the straw market with people trying to sell you things and braid your hair so we quickly got the ferry back again. Atlantis is expanding so we may return to see what else they build. The aquarium at Atlantis beats sea world hands down - very impressive.

22  Thank PDundee
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed January 14, 2006

Ok so here goes my review.
Check-In
Was quite quick. The person checking us in gave us everything we wanted. I wanted a room only on the second floor that was non-smoking and as close as possible to the Atlantis. It was done no questions asked and no trouble given. In the Bahamas its the way you ask that makes a difference. I saw a person being rude and their demands were not met.
The Room
I saw rooms in the beach tower and the coral tower at the Atlantis. To be honest they are smaller then the Comfort Suites but costs almost 3 times as much. If you dont spend much time in the room I dont think it matters where you are as long as you get to use the Atlantis ameneties. I was worried after reading the reviews of air conditioners and fridges not working. People wrote to get a room in the new wing I saw no reason for it. The walk to the Atlantis is faster from the old one and the rooms are just the same. Everything worked fine.
Staff
The cleaning ladies were pretty friendly but not worth the $8.00 charge that was added to my room for every night I was there.
Electricty Surcharge
If they charge you eight bucks a day you would hope that the electricity would work. One day there was a power outage and the back up generator would go on and off but that only happened one day.
The Breakfast
I wouldnt say that its much of a breakfast. It would be nice if they added scrambled eggs at the least. The cereals were a little bit stale. The breads were decent and enough to tie you over until the expensive Atlantis lunch. The only friut they had while we were there was Watermelon.
Overall
It was worth it to use the Atlantis property but not pay the Atlantis prices. Remember if you will be kind your kindness will go a long way in the bahamas. Unless you can afford the imperial or royal towers save the money on the hotel room by staying at the comfort suites and treat yourself to a Spa treatment or an expensive dinner at the Atlantis.

• Stayed: January 2006
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boca raton fl
Reviewed January 14, 2006

This was by far the worst hotel my wife and I have ever stayed in. We booked the deluxe room from jan 12th- jan 15th at 265$ a night. When we checked in and got to our room we were disgusted. We tried to get another room but they were all booked. We trie devery hotel and everything was booked so we were stuck at this dumpster hotel. The room was dark, smelly and worked over. The molding was peeling, there was dust wads hanging from the ceiling, the sliding door was next to impossible to open and close and one of the lamp fixtures was just hanging out by the wires. We were afraid to leave even our clothes in this room for fear that something might get ripped off. To cap things off, on the first night we got there the power was going on and off right when we were trying to get ready to go to Atlantis. The sink and bathtub were not only filthy but were rotting and stained with god know what. We didnt even want to walk bare foot on the carpeting. Just filth everywhere.

Not only was the room awful but the whole property was either in disrepair or it looked like it had not been kept up for the past 20 years. The staff was either rude, had no clue as to what we were talking about or were simply too busy talking with the other employees.
I urge all who are reading this not to stay at this hotel. Paying either 265 or even 215 for this hotel is a joke. I would not pay 50 to stay in this place if it was in the states. Horrible!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2006

We recently returned from a 5-night stay at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island. It was a very nice hotel. We were surprised at how clean it was. The staff was friendly. The complimentary breakfast was good. Our room was larger than expected. We had two double beds plus a sleeper sofa that pulled out to a double bed, so each of our sons had a bed of their own. The refrigerator was not working while we were there, but the manager very kindly adjusted our rate because of that. It was very convenient to Atlantis - just out the door and across the street. Everything in Nassau is way too expensive but aside from that we were very pleased with our stay.

12  Thank chirzel
Reviewed November 28, 2005

We just returned from Paradise Island on Sunday, Nov. 27th. We were there from Wednesday, Nov. 23rd - Sunday, Nov. 27th for a Thanksgiving family reunion and stayed at the Comfort Suites. We booked our trip way back in August and specifically requested a NON-SMOKING room in the new side(EAST WING) which we didn't get!!! I even called 3x's a few weeks before to confirm. Well, we get there(my in-laws, my husband and myself) and we're told that we don't have a room in the EAST WING and no NON-SMOKING room!! They said it's upon availability!!! STRIKE 1!! Needless to say it pissed me off!! I wasn't told that when I had called to confirm a fews back. So, we go to our rooms and the hall stinks! It smelled of stale smoke in the hall right in front of OUR ROOMS! DISGUSTING!! by all means. We get in our room and I use the bathroom and the toilet didn't flush. STRIKE 2!! We had construction going on in front of our sliding door. The next day I take a shower and the light in the bathroom just fell to the floor smashing in a million pieces missing my head by an inch. We called maintenance and they never showed up! When we got back to our room around mid-night that night, the smashed glass was still there!! STRIKE 3!!! The room wasn't anything to brag about. The people are very rude also at the front desk. We had the continental breakfast the next morning, it wasn't good at all. We ate at the "MARKET PLACE" at the Atlantis the rest of the week for breakfast and dinner. EXCELLENT!!! If you're planning on going to Paradise Island soon, I would spend the money and stay at the ATLANTIS! Well worth it. We spent all of our time at the ATLANTIS. There's sooo much to do there. BEAUTIFUL place. We are planning on coming back to Paradise Island for our next family reunion, but next time we are staying at the ATLANTIS!! I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING AT THE COMFORT SUITES AT ALL!! I read the review before this one (NOV 28TH from New York) and I don't know where that person was, but it wasn't the comfort suites!!! We will NEVER stay at Comfort Suites again!!

• Stayed: November 2005
12  Thank JBJ01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau

Been to Comfort Suites Paradise Island? Share your experiences!