“Travelling to the Bahamas with an 18 month old”

Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Long Island, Ny
“Travelling to the Bahamas with an 18 month old”
Reviewed January 28, 2005

I just returned from Paradise Island with my wife and 18 month old baby. Hopefully this (long) review will help those staying at the Comfort Suites with a baby...

The first thing to know is that in the Bahamas there is NO car seat law for babies in the taxi, so we didn't bring one. However, you DEFINITELY want to bring a stroller that has a good amount of holding space for bags. This will come in handy for holding your day bag with a change of clothes, drinks, and snacks. The bad news is that it seems as though there is also NO law in the Bahamas for accomodating the handicapped so be prepared to carry your stroller up and down stairs at a lot of places. By the end of the 5 day stay, we did find a lot of the ramps, but they are really out of the way.

We enjoyed the Comfort Suites a lot. The staff was friendly and accomodated my request for a room in the new wing (thanks for all the advice from the previous reviewers). There was no odor in any of the halls, and our room smelled fresh. The breakfast is adequate with bagels, muffins, cereal, and donuts, BUT you will definitely want to supplement it by packing a few ESSENTIAL things since there was no protein in the variety. We brought a jar of peanut butter (for the english muffins/bagels with jelly) and I saw someone else bring a bunch of oatmeal packets (damn, why didn't I think of that???). Other foods/drinks that you should pack are 4 bottles of water, lots of snacks for the kid(s), and juice boxes. We brought a cooler pack and filled a ziploc with ice every morning to put in it. As previously recommended, buy large bottles of water at Hurricane Hole and keep filling your 4 bottles of water (the fridge at CS holds about 5 or 6 bottles).

The restaurants: First of all, don't expect ANY of the restaurants to deliver anything more than average cuisine (if you're lucky)!!! The food was generally bad and the prices were a bit pricey (though we weren't shell shocked being from NY). Across the street from the CS, we went to Anthony's Caribbean Grill and the Blue Marlin, and the fresh fish at both places reminded me of my elementary school cafeteria fish (yes, it was BAD!). I finally learned my lesson and stopped ordering the fish! We found that if you wanted a good dish, it had to be something fried...it really was hard to try to eat healthy at all! We also went to the Arawak Cay one evening and went to Twin Brothers. The food was average there also, but the Conch Salad appetizer was great. This area was full of locals, and some started getting rowdy near the end of the night, so this might not be the best place to go too late in the evening. If you feel like you want to go to a Florida-type place, then head across the street from the CS to the Green Parrot, where the burger was truly good. At all places, you can at least rely on a nice cold Kalik (local Bahamian beer).

The Atlantis: WOW! This place is HUGE! When I read other reviews whining that they had to walk a lot, I just thought they were large people and out of shape (lol), but really, this place IS HUGE!!! There are about 10 of pools to choose from, but for the babies, there are 2 great choices. There is one with an umbrella type fountain next to the Lazy River (a circular tube ride) where we spent most of out time, and another one on the other side of the property by the Mayan Temple (this one has a slide for babies). Both are perfect for little kids and the water was MUCH warmer in them than the other pools. For the adults, I went on the Leap Of Faith slide, and it was awesome (though your butt WILL hurt from it!). The aquariums are nothing short of spectacular, and our kid particularly liked the touch pool in The Dig. DEFINITELY check out The Dig! For food at the Atlantis, I would recommend any of the express-type stands at The Cave, Shark Bite Express, or a small fish fry stand on the beach path. The restaurants in Atlantis are geared for high rollers so they are all a ripoff. Once again, the Kalik's are icy cold ;) I could swear that the casino is fixed, cause it seemed like every dealer in Blackjack was pulling 21's out of their butts, but I won't get into that :p Most evenings with the family were capped off with an ice cream at the Atlantis pier...there really is not much more to do for little kids. Fortunately we went during a slow week, so we didn't have any problems finding chairs by the pools, but on our last day (Friday), it was MUCH more crowded and chairs filled up fast. The towel huts open at 9am (some at 10am), so try to get there at 9am to get towels, your Atlantis access bracelet, and chairs (just throw some stuff and towels on them).

Extracurricular: I went on the shark dive at Stuart Cove (on the other side of the island), and it was AWESOME!!! I would highly recommend it for you thrill seekers (it truly made my trip)!

As for the prices, here's a quick summary:
- Taxi to/from airport: $27 each way + $3 each additional person
- Taxi to/from Arawak Cay: $12 each way
- Hotel additional charges & taxes: $35 each night (or more)
- Room safe access $2/day
- Wireless internet access at the CS (AWESOME!) - $10/day
- Shark Dive $135 plus equipment rental charges
- A great vacation with the family - PRICELESS! :)

Have a great time...I'm looking forward to returning next year!

46 Thank RoboTC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Greek first
New York, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2005

Just returned from a three-day stay at Comfort Suites. Hotel was quite adequate for our needs - we weren't looking for the all-inclusive Four Seasons type of experience, or for the jaw-droppingly tacky, gaudy Atlantis resort (although it was fun to visit it for a bit - on the OUTSIDE! Do check out the aquariums and the beach. Stay away from the inside - it's one giant, overpriced mall. Yuck.) We just needed a home base for island exploration. Liked the pool and the bar - bartenders are just as warm and friendly as advertised. Place was clean as a whistle, maid service prompt and thorough. Didn't eat there, so we can't speak for the restaurant on the property.
We WILL speak for our dining experience at a lovely French restaurant called Chez Willie's in Nassau. From the valet out front who leapt to open my door and escort me by the hand to the inner courtyard (the same gentleman who inquired as to what direction we would be leaving the restaurant, then brought our car around and physically stopped traffic in both directions so that we could depart safely), to the tuxedoed and gracious staff inside, it was a truly spectacular evening. First, we were led into a comfortable living room area (by Willie himself), where we perched on overstuffed couches and had a few pre-dinner cocktails. So relaxing. Our dinner orders were taken there. When we were ready, we were led into the cozy dining room to begin our meal. Good Lord. I haven't eaten like that in YEARS. Every single thing we ordered was perfectly prepared and absolutely delicious. If you go, do try the peppery tomato-based conch chowder (local favorite). I had the surf and turf - the most tender pieces of lobster and beef you can imagine, with a lovely bearnaise sauce and blanched baby vegetables. My boyfriend's chicken Diane was no less tasty. We finished with a chocolate soufflee and creme brulee. I cannot recommend this place enough. It's worth packing the one suit/pretty dress in your suitcase amidst the bikinis and shorts, just to go here one night.
Avoid Anthony's. The food there was virtually inedible. Like a really, really bad Fridays. Scary.

10 Thank merry1
Reviewed January 22, 2005

We just came back from a 4 night stay at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island. We requested a non-smoking room in the new wing and were placed in an exceptionally clean room on the 5th floor (#592). The king size bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked well (almost too well). The furnishings were tasteful and the bathroom was clean and fully functional. I have stayed in much more expensive hotels in the states that were not nearly as high in quality. All the staff were kind and friendly. The free breakfast was limited, but helped reduce costs (be aware that Paradise Island is an expensive place to eat).

Having full access to Atlantis was wonderful and makes the Comfort Suites a terrific bargain. I do not recommend the trip to Ardastra Gardens because the actual gardens were disappointing. We enjoyed many wonderful meals on Paradise Island (Blue Lagoon, Zio Gigis, as well as Murrays Deli and Cafe at the Great Hall of Waters in Atlantis). Be prepared to spend money--or go to Quiznos and don't complain. There are plently of restaurants in walking distance. We also saved money by going to the supermarket at Hurricaine Hole Plaza and buying water and fruit. The refrigerator in your room can hold plenty of water, etc.

The library in Atlantis has computers with free internet access (15 minutes at a time). This saved money because we could email home instead of calling. Also, when the weather turned cold (as it did during our stay), the upstairs room in the library was a comfortable, quiet place to rest or read.

Don't miss the spectacular aquariums throughout Atlantis.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 4, 2005

This was the worse vacation ever! We chose the hotel based on the favorable reviews on this site, but we were so disappointed! The hotel is filthy, the stuff is rude, the prices are outrageous - we will never be back there again! Please, do yourselves a favor - go someplace else!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 29, 2004

I leisure travel quite often & live in CA and I found that the hotel lacks true ambiance and the pool area is an unattractive dud. The staff are pretty polite (as they should be) but the hotel shamelessly nickle and dimes the begeezes out of you! It's obnoxious! Also, obnoxious is the blue carpeting that some of the other poor guests had in their room. Yuck. The second floor hall by room 248 sometimes stinks like puke it's true. We stayed in a newer, lovely room #382. Sadly, guests do not use the pool at CS because the water is really very cold. It's cold at Atlantis too but prettier of course. Luckily their hot tubs are fun and hot over there. On the up side the pool bar at CS has a few fun, cheerful staff members who gladly let you get nice and drunk :O) A couple of the mumbling, less than focused front desk ladies are cranky. The access to Atlantis makes it worth it (since you are already there). The dolphin encouter on a nearby pretty little island is great. The ocean and beach at the Atlanis are not nearly as pretty as others around the Nassau area so if you are like me and love postcard scenery take the time and effort to see the colors of Cable Beach waters and then ask about Orange Hill Beach and any other beach that has the crystaline waters in the area that are unadvertised but you may invision and expect. I found that the Yucatan (Mexico), European beaches of the Riviera, Hawaii Islands & Jamaica etc. have been much more of a true "paradise" culturally and otherwise and are honestly worth the expense. The out islands in the Bahamas are much prettier but it's $156.00 to get there each day and back and there's no night life. Overall---Not worth the final $325.00 per night or so unless you are a water park fanatic with hyper kids. Also watch the weather forcast. Lots of lobster was nice...mmmmmnnnmm.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed December 27, 2004

This trip to Comfort Suites could not have turned out any better. We got married on Paradise Island in Feb. 2004. We had 30 guests travel with us and the hotel handled all of us perfectly. The location is awesome. The guy at the bar is hilarious!! A few of the things we didn't like were that the pool bar closes early and there isn't much room in the morning to have breakfast plus they run out of things fast. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The excursion desk had a lot of good information and was very helpful in our planning. It is very easy to use everything at the Atlantis. I didn't think we'd spend as much time there as we did. It's so big and there is so much to do that I just didn't want to leave. We hung out at the beach in front of the Atlantis and thats were we went parasailing-they also have cots there for everyone to use.

8 Thank Brooke2004
Reviewed November 30, 2004

In my previous post, I forgot to mention the best tip of all. Explore every inch of Atlantis!!!! The number one reason to stay at Comfort Suites is that you get full access to all the benefits of Atlantis. You get your wrist band at any pool hut by showing your CS card they give you at check in. Definetly explore every inch including the Aquariums and The Dig, which has the best aquariums I have ever seen with a 10 foot wide Manta Ray named Rose. What till you see her! There are tons of other smaller pools with turtles and Rays and Sharks, see it all. Even if you don't gamble, defenitely go thru the Casino to see all the beautiful glass sculptures. Atlantis is magnificent. Enjoy without having to pay full price for it! Email with any further questions -
dunl2763@bellsouth.net

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to Comfort Suites Paradise Island? Share your experiences!