“will go back forsure”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
St. Cloud, Minnesota
“will go back forsure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2004

This trip to Comfort Suites could not have turned out any better. We got married on Paradise Island in Feb. 2004. We had 30 guests travel with us and the hotel handled all of us perfectly. The location is awesome. The guy at the bar is hilarious!! A few of the things we didn't like were that the pool bar closes early and there isn't much room in the morning to have breakfast plus they run out of things fast. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The excursion desk had a lot of good information and was very helpful in our planning. It is very easy to use everything at the Atlantis. I didn't think we'd spend as much time there as we did. It's so big and there is so much to do that I just didn't want to leave. We hung out at the beach in front of the Atlantis and thats were we went parasailing-they also have cots there for everyone to use.

8 Thank Brooke2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2004

In my previous post, I forgot to mention the best tip of all. Explore every inch of Atlantis!!!! The number one reason to stay at Comfort Suites is that you get full access to all the benefits of Atlantis. You get your wrist band at any pool hut by showing your CS card they give you at check in. Definetly explore every inch including the Aquariums and The Dig, which has the best aquariums I have ever seen with a 10 foot wide Manta Ray named Rose. What till you see her! There are tons of other smaller pools with turtles and Rays and Sharks, see it all. Even if you don't gamble, defenitely go thru the Casino to see all the beautiful glass sculptures. Atlantis is magnificent. Enjoy without having to pay full price for it! Email with any further questions -
dunl2763@bellsouth.net

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2004

I thought Comfort Suites was a great place. I went my senior year of highschool, and went back last year. It is a lot cheaper than all of its competitors, but has the same things. I love it, everything about it. Not too crowded...awesome.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2004

This hotel is a great deal, probably the only good deal on Paradise Island. It does try to nickel and dime you for everything, but it still ends up being a good deal. Expect to pay an additional $7.75 per person, per night for housekeeping and energy surcharges. We weren't told about this in advance and over 6 nights, it added up to about an extra $100. We were charged this even during the three days of Hurricane Frances when there was no housekeeping and some power outages.

Also, several hotels on Paradise Island credited their guests for up to 3 nights during the Hurricane, but CS didn't even take off one night. The actually charged us an additional $30 for a tuna sandwich and soda for lunch and one scoop of rice and 3 fish sticks for dinner. The hotel was barricaded for 3 days and we couldn't leave to get other food, so we were stuck. The other thing that irritated me was that the staff of the hotel brought all of their friends and family to stay at the hotel during the Hurricane and they were actually allowed to eat before the paying guests. They took boxes of food away while guests watched. Guest meals were strictly portioned. I felt as if we were the poor during a war. I'm 28 and very careful about how much I eat, and I was starving after each meal. Once I even asked for more and was told no.

The hotel is clean and very well maintained. The rooms are beautiful, new paint, nice furniture, large TV's, etc.

The free breakfast is a great deal. They provided bagels, bread, english muffins, donuts, muffins, cereals, juice, coffee and fresh watermelon.

Everything on Paradise Island is mucho expensive. Water is $3 a bottle. Dinner for two at any of Atlantis' gourmet restaurants is about $150 (without wine), but the food is excellent. Drinks are delicious everywhere.

We were there during the Hurricane so we didn't get to try as many activities as we'd hoped. We loved the Dolphin experience. It was worth every penny. I've heard only good things about the Powerboat Tour.

Atlantis is an incredible place. Too beautiful for words. We wandered around for days and didn't see everything. The beach is amazing, crystal clear water and powdery soft sand. Impeccably clean. The slides and pools of Atlantis are great.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2004

Just came back from a Paradise Island, and the Comfort Suits and this was so much better then staying at the Atlantis (which I've stayed at before)

The Comfort Suits are at least $75 less then the Atlantis, and much cleaner!!! When we arrived our room was ready and we can check right in. Unlike the Atlantis that rooms aren't ready till about 6. And not just on check in day. Every day just about

We had a Garden View Room with 2 Double beds, a couch table and chairs and a mini fridge.

The staff was friendly, the hotel had that Inn feeling to it, small lobby, it was not crazy like at the Atlantis

Part of the deal is you get to use all the amenities at the Atlantis, and get to walk across the street to peace and quite. We obtained our card from the Comfort Suites that allows you to get your writsband and get towels and use the slides at the Atlantis. You are also able to charge back to your room any drinks and food while at the atlantis.

The Comfort Suites hotel serves a continental breakfast at their only resturante called Carusos. This was perfect. I myself only went one day, but if I would of went sooner it would of been perfect to grab and head back to the room while the family is getting up. Muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee, tea, juice, cold ceral. There other menu wasn't very price $8 for eggs with sausage and bacon, compared to breakfast at Murrays in the Atlantis, $50 or more for a 2 adults 2 kids ages 4 and 8.

If you can get your self away from the slides and pools at the Atlantis, we couldn't with our two kids, but the comfort suits pool is empty, (everyone is across the street at the Atlantis) clean and they have a swim up pool bar. I will make use of that next time.

My Family and I will be back thats for sure. If the Atlantis doesn't buy up all of Paradise Island.

Rumor has it that they have bought Club Med, and are making an additional 1,500 rooms and a water park on the grounds. They can't handle what they have already, can imagine.

I recommend it highly.

Just one thing to remember. It is alot of walking no matter which location you stay at Suites or Atlantis Its like being at Disney.....

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2004

My 8 year old son and I stayed at Comfort Suites Paradise Island from August 16-21st. It is true that Atlantis is kid paradise, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. Comfort Suites was a great solution--got a good deal through American Airlines vacations for 5 nights, for less than the airfare alone would have been separately. CS was fine--you really don't spend time in the room with the splendors of Atlantis and the Caribbean beach at your doorstep. Our East (newer) wing room was a sunny tangerine color looking into palm fronds, very clean, tile floor, cable TV. The AC and fridge worked fine, although I heard someone complain they had to change rooms due to AC problems. The included breakfast was just fine, compared to spending between $10 and $20 per person at Atlantis. Watermelon, cereal, bagels, English muffins plus donuts and sweet muffins, all fresh and good. Perfect for kids, and quick when you just want to get to the pool. And you can be in beachwear with a coverup.
Comfort Suites are indeed as convenient as the Atlantis towers, depending on where you are headed. If going to the Mayan temple slides and western beaches, exit the CS, cross the street and veer left to Coral Towers and walk through the lobby and downstairs. If going to the Lazy River and east end of the beach, exit CS and turn right, walk 1 block down to the Beach Towers and go left through the lobby.
Food generally was blah, but we did not try the high end Atlantis restaurants where you can easily spend $75 per person and up. Seagrapes buffet at Beach Towers was pretty awful for $35 per adult, but the made to order pasta bar was good and they have a decent mini buffet of kids' food like mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, etc ($12.50 per kid). Anthony's across the street from CS was slow and pricey too, but the black bean soup and quesadilla appetizers are tasty and filling for less. Also you can get cold grilled salmon on a mixed salad for $14.50, while other fish main courses are much more. Quizno's subs next door was a good lunch solution--around $15 for 2. At Atlantis, we liked the Pisces bar near the beach main bridge entry--freshly made delicious fish & chips and conch fritters & chips for around $7. Tropical cocktails too, same price. Atlantis makes it easy for you to drink everywhere, anytime, at a price. I felt ripped off at the Water's Edge circular outdoor restaurant, $9 for a glass of white wine! We also had a decent lunch at the Conch Fritters restaurant in downtown Nassau. Also ordered from Domino's one night, not bad, good buffalo wings, but avoid the Pizza Hut, much slower delivery and gamey pepperoni. Supposedly Conch Fritters also delivers, we discovered too late.
Downtown, we liked the newly restored Slavery and Emancipation museum next to the Straw Market. Enlightening for a coddled tourist to see the context of slavery and artifacts from a sunken slave ship. Also, a cool boutique up the winding stairs with beautiful crafts imported by a Bahamian from west and central Africa--I bought several beautiful necklaces for under $50 each, one for $8.
You can get pretty good deals at the Straw Market if you bring cash--hats, bags, Tshirts, carvings and kitschy souvenirs. Also bring cash for taxis, tips (although everywhere adds 15% gratuity so tips are fairly rare--say for a beach helper who goes out of his way), Atlantis jet ski ($60 per half hour-ouch but wild fun) and banana boat for those not up to jet ski ($12 per person for a 10 minute ride).
Stuart's Cove snorkeling was a fun outing --half day $48 adults and $24 kids, covers transportation and equipment. You can sign up at the Atlantis water toys booth run by Neptune's at the lagoon beach. You make 3 stops including one where they chum to attract sharks and you get in the water above them--my son loved it, especially at the end when they threw grouper into the water and the sharks went nuts and one 10 footer got stuck in
the boat's ladder for 20 seconds or so, thrashing like Jaws.
The aquariums and water slides are awesome, the beach sand like sugar, the water crystal clear. Tropical fish visit even in the shallows of the beach. Even mom did the slides but not Leap of Faith.
We were not interested in the casino--plenty of smoke--but did like the Dig aquarium.
My son wants to return next year. If we could afford it we would like to stay at one of the Coral Towers low rise villas overlooking the beach. If you can swing a trip to Atlantis, your kids will never forget it--my son thanked me several times for making it happen. Just make sure a kid who will want to ride the slides is 48 inches tall, because that rule is strictly enforced and we saw some tears when kids were turned away, although there is a "baby" slide/pool. Try to go!

44 Thank slcmama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2004

My family of 4 spent 10 days at the CS from July 26th-August 4th. It was a nice option to be able to stay here for considerably less money than if we were to stay on the Atlantis property. However, keep in mind that, like many of the other visitors mentioned, the CS is more simple, and less finely furnished with a lot less care put into details than the Atlantis. We stayed in the newer section and found our room to be ample-enough room for each of us; it was relatively clean; the a/c worked very well; the fridge, although small, worked well enough to keep the few things that we stored in there cold and fresh. I used the coin laundry one night and found it to be just fine. The food at their restaurant was good but limited for lunch (I'll discuss the continental breakfast later.) The pool (although a bit small in comparison to Atantis' pools) was a nice convenience to have before we left for the day and at the end of the day when we wanted to unwind a little. Having the swim-up bar was a treat and the staff was quite friendly. The pool was clean and there were always plenty of towels and chairs. There were also plenty of cabs outside to take you wherever you wanted to go (beware, however, that some of the cab drivers were not the most honest and would try to charge more than others for the same trip-if you happen to get a taxi driver named Karen, she's terrific and very interesting to chat with.) Going over to Atlantis was simple-approx. one block walk and you were supplied with a wrist band each day you went onto their property and were free to do anything and go anywhere you wanted. Meals and gifts could be charged back to your room-you were treated just as if you were staying on the property. Atlantis was beautiful (yet obviously crowded). There is truly something there for all age groups and tastes. Pools were fun, clean and quite refreshing(please note that it is true that if you get there after 9AM, it is difficult to get beach chairs. However, if you tip the pool guys a little bit, they're happy to locate some for you and bring them over.) The beach was fabulous. My personal favorite was Cove Beach-much quieter than West Beach. The water at both locations was clear, aqua colored, and the most perfect temperature. One could observe plenty of fish all around. Restaurants ranged greatly in prices but all were quite costly. Some were worth the expense but certainly not all. Although Seagrapes came highly recommended by other visitors from this site, apparently one of the cheaper buffets, yet still costly, we found the choice of foods to be fair. Great for my 12 year old but the choices of dishes were not of the best quality for what they charged (plenty of pizza, simple pasta dishes, cotton candy and popcorn for the kids, to mention some of the options) not worth the approximately $150 that we paid-keep in mind that the drinks, particularly the soft drinks (soda, coffee) were not even included in the price. Personally, we really enjoyed the Cafe at the Hall of Waters-again, very pricey, but beautiful atmosphere and delicious food.

I wanted to mention a few minor points but certainly not enough to deter most people from this trip:
We had a problem with tiny ants by both of our sinks. We kept no crumbs or sugar to attract them but yet they kept returning no matter what we did. They stayed only by the sinks, however, so we dealt with it. Also, in the entire suite, there was only one small garbage pail by the bathroom. I felt that the CS was skimping here as the room was large enough that there should have been more than one in a room. Also, there was a knob missing which controls the ceiling fan. Again, a minor thing but something that should have been replaced if not before we got there, then certainly during our stay. The continental breakfast, although appreciated, got quite boring after a while-all carbs, and the same exact offerings every single day. The rare exception was regarding the fruit offered-8 out of 10 days, we were offered only watermelon. During the other 2 days we were offered cantalope one day and mixed fruit the next. As I said, these were some of the few minor issues, but something to be mentioned so that you got a fuller picture of what you might expect.

Overall, a truly enjoyed trip by all of us.

• Stayed July 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,703 reviews
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,661 reviews

Been to Comfort Suites Paradise Island? Share your experiences!