“Comfort Suites- Good and Bad”

Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed July 4, 2004

Just returned from a June 24-29 stay at the CS. We were very glad that we had read the earlier reviews contained on the site - it helped to set our expectations and prepare for the positives and negatives.

The positives:

- great proximity to Atlantis - the reports of excessive walking due to staying across the street are inaccurate.

- our room (in the 5th floor of the East Wing) was clean and a good size.

- excellent value for the room especially in light of the Atlantis rates.

- friendly, although not extremely helpful staff.

- access to continental breakfast was somewhat positive, although the food selection resembled a bread convention.

The negatives:

- we really did have a water outage; there was no water from both the sink and shower on two occasions during our 5 night stay.

- our AC did not get below 77; despite several complaints this was not addressed by the hotel staff.

- if you get a room in the older wing or on the second floor of the hotel you may have a noisy and/or musty room. By all means, request the East wing while making reservations and follow up prior to arrival.

Tips about the area:

- we found one good Italian restaurant (Zio GiGi's in the Hurricane Hole shopping area 5 minutes away from the hotel). In the same area was a good deli (News Deli?) that had good fruit and sandwiches.

- Anthony's Caribbean restaurant across from the hotel was a major disappointment. Slow and indifferent service and poor food.

- day trip snorkeling trip was very good although due to high demand we were limited on our selection of tours/ times. Book ahead!

- Atlantis was a great experience for our family - the Dig, the water slides, snorkeling were great. If you eat lunch on site, eat early as food seems to run out. Make sure that you wear pool shoes/ sandals as the decks/walkways get very hot.

- leave plenty of time for departure from the airport. The traffic is unpredictable and the procedures at the airport are time consuming.

Overall: The Comfort Suites is a good choice provided you get a room in the right area.

6  Thank Cfennelly
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Paradise Island

Reviewed July 2, 2004

Just returned from 5 nights at Comfort Suites. Sorry to say, it was somewhat disappointing. I will try to be brief. If it is the only way to afford going to see Atlantis, then you must decide if its for you. For $175/night (AAA rate), it was cheaper than Atlantis, but I expected an adequate level of service. We booked non-smoking, they gave us horrible smoking rooms (go up to the room without luggage to check it out, they didn't warn us at the front desk that they were sending us to smoking rooms), they had me wait in the room (!) while they looked for other non-smoking rooms. After a while, I went down to the front desk and they were chatting and no one was "looking" for anything for me. We ended up spending one night in one smoking room and they switched us to a non-smoking room for one of the rooms. The next day we had to check out, "lock" up our luggage and return after 3PM. The room you put your luggage in is not secure at all and when it became overflowing, they had people putting their bags in an unattended guest room. When we returned later in the day, we just walked in and took our bags, we could have taken anyone's bags. My kids had a room with no remote for the TV, the patio door lock was broken, there was no sheer 2nd curtain on the patio door, and there was a dead roach in the room. My husband and I fared better. We were in the old section after the room change. It was for the most part, clean and I was not aware of any particularly musty smell. What we found the most annoying is that there is no way to call home without charging to your room ($25.00 for 10 minutes approx) and when you go over to Atlantis, you cannot call back to your room at CS. This is difficult with a group, esp. teenagers on a diff. sleep schedule. You do not have the luxury of the house phones and the payphones at Atlantis took my change and told me the phone number for CS was disconnected! It made for a frustrating number of days, trying to plan and being stuck in one place until the group met up. Of course, no cell phones work there. Tips are automatically added to all food service at Atlantis including fast food service by the pools. I had a spa service and although the therapist was lovely, the front desk staff and locker room attendant were brisk and abrupt and lacking. Atlantis is something to see, a truly beautiful property, but between the lost luggage and lines for customs and bargaining with taxi drivers, we will not be back. Drinks were weak(tips added to all bar bills as well). My 14 year old enjoyed Club Rush, but only because it was a place to meet other kids his age. There were not enough computer terminals and if you went on there was pressure to move along for someone else to get a turn. The movies they showed were not kids oriented. As another reviewer noted, you can charge food and beverages to your Comfort Suites bill using the little paper pink cards they issue you, but you CANNOT charge any merchandise or products to your room from any Atlantis location. Make sure if you use an ATM that you are getting US dollars. We got Bahamian $100 bill and the cashier in the Casino would not change it. We went to a table, bought a $100 chip and returned to the cashier for US change. Vacation shouldn't be this difficult. Not enough to do at night either. Went to Comedy Club one night, they had the same comedians every night for 2 weeks, so that was only a one night option for entertainment. We won't be back sorry.

1  Thank coppertopmom
philadelphia, Pa
Reviewed June 26, 2004

just returned from 5 nights at the comfort suites June 19-24 2004. It was very nice. It is directly across the street from the coral towers lobby. The walk to the farthest attractions (slides and sport center) is the same as from the beach tower. The room is plain but functional. Couldn't get the temperature below 74 degrees which was fine during the day but a little warm for sleeping. It had 2 full size beds not Queens and the springs creaked alot. I admit i didn't sleep great but it had many compensations. There were 4 of us and the fold out bed and extra space were great to have. The complimentary breakfast saved us lots. It is only cold cereal juice coffee donuts but it buys you enough time til lunch and it's free and plentiful. We were in the new wing and it was fine. Water pressure was not great but we never had it stop as some people have written. You walk through the old wing to go out and the halls did have a musty smell. The hospitality room was dim and musty but hey it got the job done. Your comfort suite card gets you everything at Atlantis but you need a swipable credit card for the cashless food places by the pools and we tried to buy t-shirts in the logo store and they would not charge it to the room or take a crdit card without photo id. Not a big problem and next time we knew better. Also jet skis and other beach adventures only take cash You cannot charge it to any room so bring cash to do these things. We paid $60 PP/ 1/2 hour for jet skis. They would only bargain for an hour ride. If you have a family that is a lot of cash to walk around with so be warned. Jet skis were terrific providers were alittle intimidating but turned out to be friendly and helpful. Food was expensive. We were 4 and 3 nights it cost us $250 for dinner at Mama Loos, Hall of Waters and Water's edge, but this included 3-4 drinks. Murrays Deli was good and big servings for $90 for 4. Water's edge was a buffet and it was chaos. Hard to get a drink hard to get a refill hard to get coffee loud busy disorganized. The lobster tail and steak were great , so were the desserts so the food saved it. Still the food was fabulous at the hall of waters and the atmosphere was 100% better and the bill was only $10 more. The Bahamian club was too expensive for us $48 for steak $9 for mashed potatos $9 for asparagus that's not counting coffee dessert appetizers so we didn't go there. There are lots of choices including pizza delievered to the room. The property is beautiful and clean. The staff was helpful. Nassau is a dump so we didn't bother to go off property. The fish and sharks and pseudo ruins are fantastic. The slides were great the water was great. Got a couple of bug bites while standing on the beach watching my guys jet ski never needed to use the "off" spray i brought. Loved this vacation. Would go back in a minute. Would definitely stay at comfort suites again.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 24, 2004

Just returned from 7 days at Atlantis/ Comfort Suites. Last year we stayed in Royal Towers and enjoyed Atlantis so much it was an easy decision to return. We read all the reviews on Atlantis and Comfort Suites, and decided to give the Comfort Suites a try. Excellent choice. First of all, I would like to address the reviews about Bahamians being rude. Since there has been so much written about this, I made it a point to observe this. Over the course of the week, I NEVER had anyone be rude to me. It was easy for me to see that if someone was treated rude, it was because they were an obnoxious tourist and were treating the Bahamians rude. If I started off respectful to them, I got anything I needed, nothing to compain about like all the other reviews. These are my tips if you are considering a trip to Atlantis:

1. Stay at the Comfort Suites, the rooms are bigger than the Royal Towers Ocean View, you get all of the benefits of Atlantis exactly as if you were staying there. The savings is significant, both in the room cost, but also meals. The free breakfast was very adequate, we would have lunch poolside at Atlantis, and then eat out or bring in food from the nearby resturants off the Atlanis property. Last year we ate 3 meals a day at the Atlantis resturants and it was costly. Plus you get the Comfort Suites pool and bar, which comes in handy open until 8 pm and not crowded.
2. We used some of our savings to go on the Powerboat Adventures to the Exumas. This was a fantastic break from the pools and slides in the middle of the week. The trip, scenery and food are fabulous. Highly recommended. Take LOTS of suncreen. Ride in the front of boat if you are a boater and like adventure, ride in the back if not, although you may get an occasional saltwater spray. We upgraded to a stretch limo instead of a cab. We used other of our savings for the Casino donations.
3. Do ask for a room in the new section at the Comfort. There is an odor of mold in the hallway of the old section. The refrigerator we had was weak, but adequate to keep food and drinks nearly cold. There is no microwave, somehow I had an impression there was. Take one of those folding coolers if you want to keep drinks colder in your room, fill with ice. We used another reviewer's advice - go check your room before you take all of your luggage up. Check the fridge, tv, shower, everything. Fortunatley everthing was fine for us, but I do believe if something is broken, you probably will go without during your stay. If you haven't moved in, you can request another room easier.
4. Anonthy's Carribean Grill is next door to Comfort, extensive menu, reasonable. Bloody Ceasar's are excellent! Murray's at the marina at Atlantis is close by, good variety and good food, you can stock up there or at the stores next to Anthony's for your room. There are other resturants in the same plaza.
5. Take really GOOD surf shoes or sandals. We all had blisters 2 years in a row because Atlantis is so huge (and getting much bigger). Next year I am taking a pedometer just to see how much walking.
6. All of the expansion won't be completed until 2006, we saw plans - spectacular.
7. When leaving Nassau, get to the airport 2 hours before your flight. Lines are long, customs, security, etc. We tried it in an hour, and made our flight by 30 seconds with help rushed to the front of the lines. I fly all of the time, and misjudged the slow taxi driver and long lines.
8. If you have never been to downtown Nassau, it is also an interesting break for an afternoon, but that is about it. If you are into shooping for jewelery, etc.
9. June is a good time to go, weather generally great, and it is the supposed slow period, although you would not know.

11  Thank Mountaineer45
Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 23, 2004

I stayed in Comfort Suites from 6/17/04 to 6/20/04. This hotel is across the street of Atlantis Resort, you can use all Atlantis pools, slides, restaurants, facilities etc. You can also charge your drinks and meal to your room in Comfort Suites. This hotel offers you a full Continental Breakfast that is complementary and it's really nice. I stayed at Atlantis on 2002 and definetely Comfort Suites fulfill my expectations. They do not have restaurants at night but in front of the hotel is a mall with quite nice restaurants that offers you different choices for dinner.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Acworth, Ga
Reviewed June 22, 2004

What ever you do do NOT FLY BAHAMAS AIR. This is the worst airline I have ever been on. We were suppose to leave out of Orlando on the 14th at 1:00 we were suppose to be on a jet. We left around 3:00 on a prop plane that one of the exit doors had duck tape holding it closed it looked like. Everyone on the plane was upset and not happy. Then on the 19th we were to fly out again on a jet leaving from Nassau at 1:00. We left at 3: or 3:30, no one would tell us what the heck was going on as a matter of fact they left their station because everyone was upset again. SO What ever you do DO NOT FLY BAHAMAS AIR.

Now for the Comfort Suites. Great the only problem I had with them was the first day they kept sliding my credit card through trying to charge 1200 dollars to it. I have a block on mine where you can only charge up to $500.00 a day on it before it locks and you have to call them. The total bill was only 877.00 and I had all ready paid them 300, but they kept trying for the 1200.00 amount approval. They got and authorization for 500.00 but kept waiting approval for more. They ended up locking my card up and I had to call my credit card company which had a 1-800 number, but you have to pay for 1-800 number calls from there anyways. I was charge 26.00 for that call to get my credit card unlocked that they locked. I fussed about that when I check out and they took it off. When I looked at my first bill it was 1300 and some, I had to go over and got it down to 1,100.00. They charge for everything, if you make a local call 50 cents. It is very high over there. For a 1 pint bottle of water it was 5.75. I was smart. I loaded down one suitcase with 2 6 packs of bottle water, diet Dr. Pepper and Mello Yello and all kinds of Chips and snacks and stuff. That has to go onboard the plane we like to never got it in the over head but we did. If it is put down in cargo it can explode becaue the air pressure is not regulated in cargo. Anyways, right down from the comfort suites toward the exit bridge is a police station on the left of the bridge, they have 2 cokes machines on the side of the bulding and they have cokes for .50 cents. Everywhere else they are from 2 to 2.50 each. Also make sure you are not in your room between 12:00 and 3:00 if you are house keeping will not come back by to give you towels and clean your room. I had to go down and find towels 1 day. Make sure you take your own soap and shampoo, I did and was glade, it took 2 days for them to fill theres. You have to do the Stuarts Cover Sub dive it was increadble, Loved it the most. Loved Atlantis the beach was beautiful, the water slides and the fish were increadble. Be sure and get your Atlantis Braclets, they have a very tight security there and you have to get them first thing. They will stop you and ask you to show them your comfort suites pass. We did not eat on Atlantis to expensive. We walked across the bridge to OUtback and ate there. What ever you do be ready to walk, and I mean walk a lot. We walked over to the straw market on the other side of the bridge and everything is so spread out you have to walk or get a taxii which will cost and arm and a leg. Everyone was really nice there, if you treat them with respect they will treat you with respect. I saw 1 american which I was ashamed of. He was very disrespectfully to the Bahamain people and I was very upset over that. Whatch out for the drivers there, they are wild, and if you try to cross the street somewhere besides the cross walk you are on your own, they will run over you. I mean they make New York Taxii Drivers look like grandmothers. All in All we loved it but we were ready to come home. I hope you have a safe and great trip if you descide to go. The comfort suites is the best way to go Half the price of Atlantis rooms. We stayed in Room 215 and it was a non smoking room with a king bed, a little frige, and a couch that had a bed in it. Very clean and did not smell moldie or anything. If you have any qestions I will be happy to help you. AGAIN. DO NOT FLY BAHAMAS AIR.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 21, 2004

Just got back from staying three nights at the Comfort Suites. We had a great time, especially for the price.
I wanted to be able to get full access to the Atlantis and got it. The room prices at the Atlantis are outrageous. If you were to stay elsewhere, it would cost $25 a day per person to access the pools, dig, etc at the Atlantis. I obtained a fantastic rate of $154 a night through my companies travel agency.
This includes full access to the Atlantis and continental breakfast. This was an added bonus due to the extremely high prices in the Bahamas.
We had no real problems with this hotel. The rooms really aren't suites. We stayed in the old part of the hotel and the halls smelled but the rooms did not.
The front desk and service was great. Everyone was friendly and worked to accomidate us.

The hotel is right across the street from the Atlantis. In fact, it is closer to the pools than some of the the towers at the Atlantis. The pools, water slides and beaches were great. Prices are high, but what do you expect. Drinks at Atlantis pool bars were good and strong.

We ate at Anthony's twice, in the shopping center across the street from hotel. Food was great and prices reasonable. However, drinks were very week.

People on the island were very friendly and service all around was good.

Comfort Suites is the best way to go if you are on a budget.

1  Thank CFNOBIS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Comfort Suites Paradise Island? Share your experiences!