“It is simply beautiful!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Brasov, Romania
“It is simply beautiful!”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I found a sanctaury of peace in Nassau on one of the finest beaches, in the middle of a tropical garden. A warm staff welcomed me and helped along the way to setlle into a stay of joyous practice and blissfull relaxation. The lodgings are pleasant and simple then the cleanliness of the facilities is impressive with a constant remider to environment care.The nutritious vegetarian meals are made according to yogic dietary principle, using fresh fruits and vegetables displaying a large variety. The yoga program including workshops, meditation, exercise, health diet boosted my enery level, and truly felt rejuvenated and vibrant. The dedicated ashram's staff made a difference to my visit by showing lovely care and high dedicated service. I would greatly recommend the ashram not anly for a yoga vacation program but as well for yoga teachers trainings courses and karma yoga program, self service in ashram. I find a place of harmony where musical festivals, poesie, creativity , traditional ceremonies merge in a beautiful way being presented by great names in the spirituality international world. I plan alreay my return to the ashrams as a student of yoga TTC :-)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank FlorinaF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I've been to this ashram a few times to recharge and get back to basics. Within a few days, I am feeling so peaceful and focused. When I get back home, I don't turn the TV or radio on for months because I am in a different state of mind. I feel a peace and harmony that no Atlantis will ever give me for their $500/night charge versus $85 or so charge at Sivananda (all inclusive).

Before you attend a Sivananda ashram or center, you need to learn about their practice. Then you will understand why the beds are basic twin beds, basic vegetarian meals without spicy onions or garlic, karma yoga as part of your stay, the regimented yoga practice of meditation then chanting then yoga twice a day. Go to their website.

I've read the negative reviews here and this is my response --
--yes some of the staff may appear unfriendly but there are different staff throughout the year and why not approach them and be the friendly person? I noticed it the first time I went there but decided to talk to them and chat with them. Now they are my friends and I look forward to seeing them again.

--yes, the food is 100% vegetables and grains. Some of it is good and some not depending on what is available to them but I don't expect much when I pay $85 or so total per day for the room, food, yoga classes, daily, classes, and meditation/chanting. You can pay $85 for one meal at Atlantis.

--yes, you have to share the bathrooms and rooms because this place is not a luxury vacation destination. It is an ashram where funds are short, a nonprofit organization, and a place where they teach their yoga practice. I am picky about this sort of thing too if I am paying big bucks at a luxury hotel but I know what I'm getting into when I decide to stay a no frills yoga ashram.

--yes, they have some old sheets or old things, but if you ask them for another room or exchange the sheets or whatever, they will be happy to help you. Perhaps you can donate to them.

--yes, you are asked to help wash your own dishes but some won't so I help wash other people's dishes. It takes only a few minutes of my time to give back to people. I think it is worth it. But you don't have to do it, if you don't want to.

--I've been doing Sivananda yoga first when I was in my twenties living in NYC then again the last few years. It is hatha yoga and each specific pose massages your organs and glands. No one has ever been injured. The corpse pose, in between the poses, centers one's mind and you will see if for yourself. When you are done with the yoga class, your head/mind feels clear and rested even though you had just done a series of wonderful poses that heals and stimulates blood to your body. I lose weight every time I do their yoga because of the breathing exercises during and before the poses. At this ashram, your classes will be a little longer than the usual 1 1/2 class from their tapes/CDs. It will be more like 2 hours because they let people rest more in between the poses. I don't mind that at all. I'm not in any rush to go off to a bar.

Overall, it is a great place to get yourself back to what yoga is meant to do for your soul. It is not a luxury, full-service hotel -- go to Atlantis and pay their fees for that. I have done that at times too when I want that kind of vacation. It all depends on what you are looking for with your time off. I make the most of where I am and I choose to see the beauty that is there. That is probably why I live a very happy life and enjoy myself wherever I am. If you are unsure, just check out the place whenever you are in the Bahamas. It is walking distance on the beach from Atlantis. That way you won't be disappointed and know what to expect.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank Gail1040
mgewant, Manager at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. You really clarified things about the ashram for others who have different expectations. Hope you keep coming back!
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The staying was wonderful: a unique place to relax and to recharge yourself.
The Yoga pratices plus the wonderful beach site makes the place unique for peace of mind and recharging your energy.
It has a almost private beach with beautiful natural envoirment and you can either go deep in your yoga pratices or start it! :)
All the satff are very nice and it has a quiet and joyful invironment.
Don't miss it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2011

This is the place for you if you want to take your children somewhere warm without the ongoing nagging and distractions for things to do, TV, computers, etc. You can create a daily rhythm with them based on simplicity - the beautiful beach, reading, walks, snorkling. Hanging out with other children in a safe environment. A great opportunity for them to learn to just be with you and others without being entertained. Live simply and learn a different lifestyle.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Omkari
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I have stayed at the Ashram 6 times in the last 5 years and it has been one of the most important experiences in my life. I learned YOGA; mind, body & spirit (which is very different from the fitness club excercise yoga) and YOGA is now part of my life.

The Ashram is NOT a hotel it is an Ashram - the rooms are clean, comfortable and simple. The food is vegitarianan, delicious and you clean your own dishes.

The people you will meet will help you in your personal developement.

The setting is BEAUTIFUL. The beach is BEAUTIFUL and I am excited for my next visit!

Tom in Columbus, OH

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 23, 2011

In daily life and mostly through out our life, as humans, we are so far away from our true selves. Some lucky ones might know or think that they know what they truly want from life or what to give to life, although many of us are totally lost.
Going in vacations with the purpose of relaxing and getting in touch with our selves really doesn't work in deep levels and we are almost more lost after each vacation.
This beautiful retreat works wonders; shines bright mirrors on your face to show what you are at that moment and how you can be once you get in touch with your spirit.
Your stay there will always be a life changing, positive experience, no matter how much you enjoy it. You'll understand why life brought you there :)

Ocean, sandy beach, trees, flowers, birds, healthy vegetarian food, yoga seances, workshops, beautiful people, chantings are all magical.

As far as the cabins and accommodations goes, there is a variety of selection for every need. Check the accommodation types from their web site before you reserve.
Personally I prefer taking my own tent with me and pitch it close to the ocean. So lovely to sleep with the sound of waves with fresh air, watching stars write before falling a sleep :)

If yoga and outdoors is your life style, you'll probably know what to pack. Though if yoga & nature is gonna be your first experience than make sure to read "what to bring" part from the web site before you pack your bag.

To find a no alcohol, no loud music place in beautiful Bahamas is a great treat !!!

One more thing; I've seen some negative reviews about stuff.
Would like to mention that, been working in hotels around the world for 15 years.
Believe me all those friendly, helpful, stuff you meet in the other hotels are so fake, they smile to your face, as soon as you turn your back they curse and make faces after you.
The Stuff in Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat will always be true and sincere to you !

Enjoy your Stay,
Blessings,
Ishwari Eda

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
woodbridge
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We found this is an idyllic vacation spot for our family on the beach near Atlantis. It is a yoga retreat with a daily schedule of outdoor yoga practice, music, and swimming. It is clean and a sunny spot on Paradise Island, Bahamas. It is very peaceful, healthy, and beautiful with wonderful family style meals with easy setting for meeting other people. We felt very peaceful and healthy after leaving. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family