“It is perfect if you let it be”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
New York City, New York
“It is perfect if you let it be”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have been to the Ashram several times. It is not for everyone, but I will always go back. This is not a luxury vacation. It is a place to reflect and nurture...to grow, to learn and to just...be. It is paradise. Truly. Do not go here if you want to be pampered. Go here to reflect, to grow, to learn. It is perfect if you let it be. It is structured...so, if you are like me, in a crazy corporate world, and younjust want to detach and grow, it is beyond perfect. If you are going to be "pampered".... Go somewhere else! This place is too coll to deal with primadonnas

Room Tip: I enjoyed a single room with a/c - it's perfect for sleeping and catching up on home
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Diana G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect when I arrived at Sivananda, but overall it was a good experience. I went to the yoga classes everyday. One teacher I enjoyed was Vashista, this older man whom unlike any teacher I had before, had an amazing presence about him. He made me feel confident in class. I went alone to the ashram, but most people do. Its safe and comfortable. I stayed for 10 days. I would go for at least 5 days to truly relax. Share your good karma, transform your bad karma, and some karma yoga in the kitchen will help.
They perform rituals at the ashram. I am a practicing Buddhist and it was nice to see things from a different perspective. This is a very special place. Come with an open mind and an appetite for connecting with yourself and the divine, as well as some very delicious food!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Sandra S
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Super friendly staff, very organized,
Amazing meals and a true escape to an environment of relaxation, peace and serenity. I am new at yoga and all the instructors were so helpful. The location is superb and nothing was ever too much to ask. I arrived a stranger and left with a healthier body, a stronger mind and some new friends. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Tracyatsea
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

It was beautiful to be back in the fold of the Sivananda family although my first time at this ashram. The combination of ashram life on a beach ( clean fresh warm water!) was irresistible. I was hoping to shed some kilos but the amazing food meal after meal meant that wasn't going to happen. The accommodation is simple but adequate and if you can get a single room with ac. Do it! My other tip would be to get involved in karma yoga..it's the best way to meet people and really immerse yourself in the practice..Can't wait to go again- hopefully next year for 4 weeks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Emanuel V
Ny
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Amazing relaxation experience. My visit was short, only four days but well worth it. Next time I plan on staying at least 5-7 days. Rooms are simplistic, but it's an Ashram. The staff is friendly and surprisingly the food was tasty. The grounds need more upkeep though. The beach was amazing but since this is not your typical vacation there are no beach chairs. The daily yoga classes were routine but good, different instructors put their individual spin on the class. If your looking for a relaxing, spiritually filled vacation this is the place. Life changing!

Room Tip: Ac with private bathroom
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank martinyy2
UK
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was my first experience in an Ashram/yoga retreat and I have to say its one of the best trips I have ever made. I joined the beginners yoga course where i learnt in detail how to do the 12 yoga positions (including a headstand which i had never done before). My teacher Narayani was very good, patient and excellent in explaining positions and showing us how to do them without causing an injury. I also joined yoga classes int he morning and evening led by Yogi Piyush who again was an excellent and a skilled teacher. The food was amazing, all veggie meals cooked fresh on a daily basis and the rooms were very clean and nice. Staff and the atmosphere is very calm and it is complete bliss on Paradise Island. I'm already planning my next trip!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank salma Z
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The ashram is the best place for healthy, relaxing and regenerating vacation.
This is a very sane mode of living, great, tasty vegetarian food, daily yoga classes and meditations fills us with peace and inner calm.
Paradise is the name for that place, but it is not only a name. Staff and guests are joyful and very pleasant. No alcohol, no drugs, no meat, no extra spending on material, (except for the snorkeling outings, which I strongly recommend), but lots of love, smiles, and a very luminous spiritual place.
I especially appreciated the silent walk, as a morning meditation on the beach at sunrise.
I strongly suggest this type of holiday for yoga lovers, early birds and spiritual people.
It could also help a broken heart, facilitate communication between adolescents and parents and offer just a different way of life to any stressed person.
Come back home with great memories you will never forget and tools to go through your daily activities in a state of inner peace, love and gratitude. Not only a holiday, but also a great gift.
Various types of accommodations for lodging are available from the simplest to the spacy big two double bedrooms with bay windows facing the turquoise ocean. I love to fall asleep at the sound of braking waves.
Don't forget bathing suits. Snorkeling gear is a plus for the 5 free hours in the afternoon.
I have never had such a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Go according to your budget, but the ocean view rooms are tops. Strongly recommend A/C during summer...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family