“Slightly Underwhelming”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
New York City, New York
“Slightly Underwhelming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

The Ocean Club was a very quiet, beautiful experience but my husband and I felt a little underwhelmed by the room and, at times, the service. Perhaps our expectations were too high from what friends have said but our room, which was the lowest level garden view, but still quite expensive, was not as impressive as we thoughts. We've stayed in much larger, more comfortable rooms at hotels less reputable than One & Only. The room was average size as was the bathroom, at the Four Seasons the room was at least double the size of this one. More importantly, the bed was extremely uncomfortable, very, very soft and the springs actually creaked when you moved. We did not have very restful nights. The only other qualm we had was that although the service was extremely friendly, often the staff was a little unprofessional, especially when amongst each other. Although I totally gave them credit for the more laid back atmosphere, quick service was not expected.

Aside from that the Ocean Club is VEEEERRRYYY quiet and relaxing but you can go over to the Atlantis for the exact opposite. A Chevy Tahoe or Suburban will take you anywhere you want on Paradise island and the Atlantis and when you want to come back, just have the Atlantis people call the Ocean Club and it'll come back to pick you up. The pool area is very nice, it is a big, deep pool (12 feet), overlooking the "Versailles" gardens where we saw multiple photo shoots and wedding over the course of the week. We strolled around the family pool and the tennis courts and the grounds are really stunning. The fitness club is tiny and the bathrooms are nice and have steam rooms.

The Ocean Club does provide a lot of perks other than the transportation. Free champagne is available all day in the lobby along with fruit and coffee and tea in the morning. Also, if you're in the room, champagne and strawberries are delivered to you in the early evening. The internet is free and can be accessed via your television but it is difficult to navigate and the television makes you agree to a fee (although you wont be charged for it.) It is easier to just go to the lobby and rent a free laptop and check it in the library. Also take advantage of the free bug spray in the room near the mini bar when you go out at night or you will be bitten up! Free Crystal Geyser water is handed out at the pool and left in your room as well. The beach is also very beautiful and chairs are set up.

We also ate at Dune, which was a very good meal. The menu is diverse and the service is very good. Overall, the One & Only is a very romantic, quiet place if you're looking for that and have a lot of money to spend but I preferred the Four Seasons overall.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kimberlynyc120

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2009

Despite some other reviews (I can't really comprehend how anyone can not like this place), as per the title, I absolutely love this hotel, the property, and the people that work there.

**NOTE*** You are in the Bahamas! Their way of life is not the fast paced New York City lifestyle that many Americans are used to. Life is slow, relaxed, and peaceful. If simply fast service is what you're looking for......go somewhere else. Everything they do in the Bahamas and the Ocean Club is slow-paced and relaxed....albeit always done with a smile.

This was my 4th trip to the O&O and I love it more every time I visit. As a very well seasoned traveler (you can read my other reviews), this is personally my favorite place on Earth. While it is not the most over-the-top or glamorous place….to me it defines peaceful and relaxing.

The grounds are just perfect......the gardens, pool, and views from the room are to die for. I actually picked bananas each morning on one of the walkways for breakfast every morning. The place gives off a sense of calmness and serenity. The plantation-type feel is perfect for a true Island Experience.

Rooms: I have stayed in both the Crescent Wing and the Hartford wing and both are very nice. All rooms in the Hartford were just redone with plasma TVs and hardwood floors. The balcony is extremely peaceful.....be it in a garden or ocean view room (either way did not matter to me). The bed is VERY comfortable.

Pools: The pool is a great place to relax during the warm sunny days. The pool service is very friendly (sometimes slow but always good and friendly). The pool temperature was very nice and I used the floats everyday to relax. I did hear some other guests complain that the family pool water was far too cold.

Dining: My favorite aspect of the O&O. The Dune is always top-notch and the views are the best in the islands. I highly recommend the Chef's tasting menu. The Black plate appetizer and the White Plate dessert are also a must. Dined at the Terrace for Thanksgiving and it was a fantastic evening. The food was an A+. Off the property I dined at Nobu (great), Sun And (very good local food), Mesa Grill (average), and the local fish fry (I never miss that one........Seafood Heaven or Twin Brothers).

Service: As stated above.....you are in the Bahamas. Amazingly, they remember me by name every time I go. It has been almost two years since my last trip yet they all remembered me like it was yesterday. The people seem to love their jobs and have always been nothing but friendly to me and my friends.

Went to the Atlantis casino most nights......pretty fun for some afternoon entertainment. I stayed away from the Atlantis pools (fun for families but not for me......see my review of The Cove).

A special note to fantastic service from our Butler, Prince, and to one of the friendliest maids I have ever met (Antoinette).

Feel free to email me with any questions (I always respond and I'll always be forthcoming)

Regards,

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank andrew_branham
Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

We have read about the Ocean Club in Conde Naste magazine for many years and so we had high expectations. The hotel is very expensive- from food to accommodations to spa services. Despite having an ocean view, the rooms were just average-- nothing special by any means. The food also was only average however the prices charged were astronomical (6 oz. mixed drink = $18 plus taxes and automatic gratuity of 15%). By 2:30 pm, the two pools were totally shaded from the trees. Housekeeping was awful- forgot turndown service, neglected to replenish toiletries, etc. Although the internet service is free, we had to call maintenance every time we wanted to use it because the connection kept failing.

2 Thank AlexaR
Metuchen, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

Just like the review before mine, I was a little nervous about spending a lot of our hard earned money on this luxury hotel....( after reading some of the previous reviews). I do not regret for a minute this splurge!

My husband and I stayed at the Atlantis for two nights to experience all their "hype", then booked three of the most relaxing days at The One and Only. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful our entire stay!!! Butler service was there if you asked and needed. When we called they were there and delivered whatever we desired. We stayed in the Hartford Wing-Garden View, there were no upgrades available. Bottom floor room view was a peaceful beautiful garden. It has a patio with table, chairs and two recliners.

Complimentary coffee and tea served daily in the lobby/library. Complimentary laptops and internet access. Beach service was excellent, chairs set up for you along with complimentary bottled water. Breakfast at Dune Bar overlooking the ocean was perfect.
Beautiful pool, magazines and lotion were provided n/c!!!

The grounds here are immaculate! We enjoyed walking througout them every day and could appreciate all the time put in to take care of them!! It was very quiet Tuesday -Thursday, then weddings came and the hotel got a little louder.

Lastly, yes it is true the food is very expensive. We knew that going in. Expect to pay $50 for breakfast or lunch. $120.00 plus for dinner (no alcohol)... Hot tea was even $10!! All food was very good.

Cab ride back to airport for around $35.00 cleanest taxi ever!! (--)

Overall, the nicest place we have ever stayed with the friendliest staff!! Cant wait to return!

3 Thank NjBeachgoer
Aberdeen, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

Where to start?? OK the beginning..I read a good majority of the reviews for this property in the days leading up to my trip. I became very skeptical based on reviews. Needless to say, I can report "don't believe all that is printed in these reviews". In many cases they are plain wrong. The staff, grounds, rooms, atmosphere were all excellent. From the time we arrived, and were upgraded to ocean view room, to the time we departed, the staff was there for anything. All professional, well versed in the operation, outgoing, and personable. On this note to my fellow travelers,,talk with the staff, get to know them, let them know a bit about you. You will be amazed that they are very personable, fun and have a sense of humer.
Our Butlers, all 4 of them, were first rate, and there when we needed them, Again, talk with them they can make your stay very enjoyable. Met and spoke with 2 managers and had time with the General Manager. All were there to help and did listen to your comments.
The food was excellent. many comments on being expensive...well figure everything is imported and by the time it gets to the resorts, there are 2-4 charges on top of the import price. You will find this pretty much throughout Carribbean.
The Ocean Club Golf Course is great course. After 1 pm NOW the rates go down. This changes by season. Course is very well maintained. Cart path ONLY!! No carts allowed on fairways.
Rode bike, available from fitness center, daily, ocean water was comfortable for this time of year, outdoor pool very satisfying as well.
Staff recommended restaurants in Nassau and all were very good.
All in all, a most plesant experience and will go back again next year.

2 Thank Noblehouse47
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

The OOOC possesses a certain ambience and genteel, understated luxury that exists at very few hotels in the Caribbean (Sandy Lane in Barbados comes close). This sort of atmosphere cannot be manufactured at any cost: it's developed over time.

I have been staying here for 40 years - ever since I was a child, and every time I return I'm overcome with the same sort of emotions that I had when we used to spend endless magical summer vacations here. I do not like the new Crescent Wing - despite being more expensive and a little closer to the beach, the Hartford Wing Courtyard rooms are what I prefer - get an Ocean Front Hartford Wing suite for its location, and feel part of the whole British Colonial mansion experience.

That being said - you will feel the impact of the ZOO down the beach - Atlantis has taken over the island, but the OC is amazing in its ability to maitain the feeling of a private oasis away from the crowds just a mile or two away. When you return to the club after an evening of dining out or checking out the casino at Atlantis, you'll breathe a huge sigh of relief and realize that you could never stay anyplace other than here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank MTSINC370
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

Just returned from Ocean Club we went there with high expectations being that we vacationed in the One and Only Palmilla in Cabo last May. Palmilla was the ultimate experience ever!! Ocean Club feel short of the One and Only experience. So called Butler service barely existed. The rooms were noisy we were able to hear full conversations outside of our room at 7 am mind you. Not good! When you are paying top dollar for a vacation you should get what they say you will get. We travelled with two other couples all with the same butler service and we all had a different experience. Inconsistent service is not a good recommendation when you sending someone you know to a resort. My recommendation is spend the day and fly to Cabo the hospitality and service is out of this world. You gain three hours and still get there for lunch!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
#9 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!