“Amazing stay - just hope I can afford to return again someday soon”

One & Only Ocean Club
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Husband and I splurged for a very special getaway to celebrate milestone birthdays and our anniversary. It was also our first trip ever without our children so we wanted something very special - quiet, romantic, relaxing, pampering. We got all of that and more. Now - for full disclosure - we have never stayed in a hotel of this level and we are busy, tired parents who were away on their own for the first time (so we were probably easy to please), but we were delighted by every aspect of our stay.

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted by name and taken to the lobby for check-in while we sipped lemonade and looked out at the gorgeous grounds and the sea. I booked a garden view room in the Harford Wing (the older wing, which is connected to the main lobby building and spa) honestly because it is significantly less expensive than the larger ocean view rooms in the Crescent Wing (the newer building). When we arrived at our room (in the Hartford Wing), we were absolutely ecstatic to find that we had somehow been upgraded to an ocean view room! Absolutely stunning view with a balcony. I decided right then I never wanted to leave! We found our room - although very small, to be comfortable and spotless (maid service 3x a day and they never missed anything). We then met our Butler, Prince, who told us all about our room, the property, and everything available to us. He even offered to unpack for us! A fruit basket was awaiting us. Later that night (and every night), we received champagne and delicious chocolate covered strawberries. At night, you return to your room to find turndown service, Belgian chocolates on your pillow, and a candle lit on your balcony.

The grounds, pools, and beach were wonderful, as were the gardens. You also have full access to Atlantis (and private shuttle transport all day), which is fun for a bit - but trust me, you will be glad you are staying here after all the crowds and noise.

Every staff person we dealt with was great - approachable, helpful, delightful to talk to. I felt like a pampered VIP throughout my stay. Dinner at Dune was very good but not great, though the views alone are fantastic. Strawberry martini at the bar was heavenly - and the bar itself is a great place to sit with a cocktail and enjoy the view (though you will pay dearly for that cocktail). The beach was amazing - there were never more than 8-10 guests on it during our stay. I loved having the chairs set up for us - complete with a side table and plenty of water. The water was clear aqua and very calm with soft sand. Made for great swimming. We even saw a small sting ray and a school of silver fish.

This was a VERY expensive getaway for us, but we had an absolutely wonderful time and I would not hesitate to return here as soon as I can afford it again and can secure a babysitter!

Room Tip: Crescent Wing rooms are newer, larger and all oceanfront, but are priciest. Hartford Wing has sma...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jenabelle1973

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just returned from a very relaxing and romantic 24th anniversary getaway at the One & Only. The property is absolutely beautiful and located right on the most beautiful beach in the Bahamas. We had a lovely ocean front room, complete with our own butler, Perez, who did a wonderful job taking care of our every need. We were provided a delicious fresh fruit basket each morning, along with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne every afternoon. And Perez went above and beyond all expectations when we returned to our room after our anniversary night dinner at Cafe Matisse (excellent restaurant, see separate review). We opened the door to our room to find candles lit all around the room, rose petals leading from the door to the bed, rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bed with 2 "swan towels" kissing, along with a bathtub full of bubbles, surrounded by more candles and more rose petals floating in the tub ~ so romantic!! Truly an unforgettable experience at O&O :)

Other notables about this property: 2 excellent restaurants (Dune and Courtyard Terrace);
Best fitness facility, complete with every piece of equipment you could want (even an inversion table and Power Plate machine); Beach staff, especially Darren, takes care of your every need at the beach, including setting up your lounge chair, & making sure you have plenty of cold drinks. Sunscreen and magazines provided as well. Entire staff at this property is very professional and courteous, and always addresses you by name. Superb property all the way around ~ highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are a little more but well worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank js2236
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I checked in on May 10th for a romantic long weekend as I was in Nassau for 3 1/2 weeks of radiation treatment, so this was supposed to be a special weekend. Disappointing doesn't even begin to describe the experience. First let me point out that this place in NOT cheap, at $600/night though hotwire for a 5 star property, one expects 5 star accommodation and service. Perhaps because we were not paying the $800++ rack rate, we didn't experience the 5 star service.

We checked into a garden room. The room was disappointedly small and came complete with a rollaway bed installed? Why, there were only 2 of us...clearly it had belonged to the previous tenants as the floor underneath hadn't been swept properly which led us to believe it had been in that room previously. Does housekeeping not do an inspection or the duty manager with check-ins verifying the rooms and the occupants coming in? Clearly not. As there were so many things wrong I will point form list them:
- the toilet bowl in our rooms was not totally clean
- no hot water in the shower
- champagne and strawberries to be delivered nightly and if not in the room when delivery is taking place a note was to be left - neither happened on night number one
- Dune Bar (not the restaurant side) on the Saturday night, we sat for ages waiting to be served, nada...so we left and went to the restaurant
- ground floor rooms with railings? We were told it is part of the "colonial look" whereas the newer part of the hotel did not have railings on the ground floors
- Room move on the night of May 10th - tatty old furniture on the patio - dirty marks/spots on the cushions and clearly they had been painted over and over again covering up the rust spots... but chips were off the paint on parts of the furniture
- a huge gaping rip in the screen door which we noticed next morning, which I had to call reception about as clearly housekeeping missed this daily as they walked through same door onto the patio to light the candle!
(the room they moved us into had clearly not been inspected prior to moving us)
- complimentary slippers which cannot fit any other man other than one with small feet, same with the robe...surely they have varying sizes - we did ask many times
- I did yoga 3 days in a row - on the white chair by the telescope there was an overturned take out coffee cup with spilled coffee on the chair for 2 days...by day 2 it had hardened onto the chair - I went to reception and told them - does no one walk the property and check for cleanliness?
- Monday am after breakfast - cigarette butts in the lawn as we were leaving the breakfast restaurant
-swimming pool area - louver/shutters broken on the side of the building so lying in your pool chair they were clearly visible
- steam room by gym - not working on the Sunday when we were there so they had to call engineering and by the time it was finished we had left - also only hot water in one shower in the changing rooms by the gym

I have probably forgotten a few things, but I think you get my drift... the place lacked supervision, TLC and accountability for the enormous amount of money they were charging.

From the point we checked in we were disappointed and upset and it kept compounding. For $600 night I would have expected the GM or Duty Manager to have contacted us to make sure things were sorted out - but it never happened until someone intervened. We were at Sandy Port in the wine store and recounting our story of disappointment to the owner of the store, who in turn knew someone at Atlantis who might be able to make things right. On Sunday night (the day before out departure) we got a phone message from one of the duty managers saying they understood we had been having some issues and wanted to make sure it was all resolved (the day before we left??? We now know it was due to the lovely gentleman from the wine store as he sent us an email on the 14th copying us on the email. Had he not sent the email, we would not have received that call.

After a call from another Duty Manager, as we were out all day and another one called, I proceeded to recant all of the above I have mentioned here and other small things which happened. He was most apologetic and offer to credit us back one room night. So for $1200++ we had a very mediocre experience in a seriously overrated "5" star property.

I think what I find the most annoying and unacceptable is the room credit and call would not even have taken place had we not encountered the fellow in the wine store. There seems to be a great deal of miscommunication between housekeeping and reservations/reception. Are rooms not inspected prior to check in? Quality assurance and all that good stuff? For $600/night I would assume that's the norm?

The grounds overall are beautiful. The staff friendly. Dune restaurant was fabulous, food and service wise. The deep tissue massage I had at the spa was superb, I think the gal who did my massage was Zantag or something like that, but she was wonderful!

The old part of the hotel where they put us is dated, tired and unacceptable at $600 or more/night - imagine people pay alot more for this in the high season! The newer part of the hotel, I understand which they called "contemporary" as opposed to the old part "colonial" is nicer, roomier and no railings on the ground floors. We wouldn't know as it was never offered.

If you are going to pay this kind of money - go to the Cove or the Reef and just go to Ocean Club for a meal.

Frankly go to Compass Point - initially I wanted to stay there but my boyfriend wanted to spoil me at Ocean Club. As I was in Nassau for 3 more weeks after this, I visited Compass Point on many occasions. Naturally it is not a 5 star property, nor do they pretend to be - but it's quaint, ocean front, great staff, great food and great atmosphere. At $278/night I would have had a vastly superior guest experience than I did at $600/night.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view or ocean front and the newer rooms in the hotel NOT the colonial part attached to...
10  Thank MarilynCooper
Reviewed May 27, 2013

O&O is Paradise in every way! We were looking for a resort that was close to home...less than 2 hour plane ride from BWI. We had an amazing experience in Hawaii at the Four Seasons last year and wanted something similar on the East coast...we def found it!
I don't understand how anyone could rate this resort anything less than Spectacular. We found the staff to be wonderful. I agree it is not The Four Season's, but I don't care for staff to be in my face every second and trying to up sell everything from food, accommodations and experiences which the Four Seasons loves to do. The Bahamian people treated us like VIPs all week.
We also liked the option of the Atlantis property for the water park amenities.....loved the rapid river ride....so much fun.
The lush landscaping, pool and pristine beach far exceeded expectations. Room was fine...ocean view amazing. Thanks O&O for an amazing week!

Room Tip: Must do ocean front
1  Thank ErikaH11
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I took my mother for Mother's Day. The staff handled all of my pre-visit requests seemlessly. I choose a ground level luxury king room with ocean view patio. The accommodations were exactly as depicted on the website.

The butler was eager to please and did a great job anticipating our needs/desires.

Service is top priority here. The cost is high but worth it when serenity is your goal w/n a highly developed island.

Room service was timely with well appointed table settings.

The grounds were well manicured and offered multiple areas for lounging, hammocking, and sitting.

This is not the property for beachside water sports or partying.

The downside, and I am stretching to find one, was a small gnat-ish bugs that entered the room when the sliding patio doors were open. Also, the doorbell was alarmingly loud.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Cove (at Atlantis) but went to Ocean Club for lunch. The property is stunning, the beach- to die for, and the grounds immaculate but with far too many Eurocentric garden statues. For a Caribbean property with a plethora of Bahamian icons to draw upon, the imposition of European elements felt gravely insensitive to the culture. We came to Bahamas to appreciate the people as part of our visit.

The staff were friendly but the food service was uninspiring and badly in need of a talented chef.

When the bar could not make a satisfactory Margarita we tipped the waiter $10.00 for trying and departed. The ones at Mesa were PERFECT by contrast.
If you desire few distractions and not much to do, this is a great retreat. The setting suggests however that you pack your preppiest duds for this very stiff and pretentious colonial throwback. If you fancy a Ralph Lauren cardigan tied around the shoulders, designer everything else, penny loafers - no socks, you'll love this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Erika S
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the one&only ocean club after hearing and reading AMAZING reviews of the hotel. The most consistent thing we heard was how incredible the service is there. Our expectations were quite high of course. Let me start by saying the hotel setting is incredible. A nice contrast form The Atlantis (sister hotel). Extremely relaxing and gorgeous ocean views. The gardens and pool were also quite magnificent. Unfortunately, the amazing service was not apparent to us! First of all, there is not really a front desk staff/concierge readily available. Upon asking the on-duty concierge to make dinner reservations at some atlantis restaurants she was unsure which ones were open that evening. This should be something the staff knows immediately. After calling the atlantis concierge to find out, she proceeded to tell me the restaurant I wanted was closed. Never did she ask me if I wanted a different night or if she could make other reservations for me. Some of the staff was friendly while others were quite aloof! The beach staff was GREAT! My husband and I mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary and his birthday and the hotel did NOTHING to acknowledge either occasion until I mentioned something our last night. Mind you, we ate dinner there 3out of 5 nights. WE have stayed at Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton's all over the Caribbean and have always experienced amazing service. We were definitely surprised at the lack of consistency at OC. Also, a pipe broke and we had no water in our room and management again did nothing until we inquired. There should have been some notice updating us about the situation. I would also mention some rooms are MUCH nicer than others. We stayed in the "older" section with small rooms which could use a makeover. If possible I would request the newer section which we were unaware of. The restaurants were incredible albeit extremely PRICEY!

Room Tip: request newer rooms!
1  Thank FrankandEstelle
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!