“Favorite part of our Atlantis experience!”
Review of Dolphin Cay

Dolphin Cay
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Paradise Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sometimes the best way to describe something is by saying what it isn't. Dolphin Cay isn't an aquarium, it's not an entertainment facility, and it doesn't stage marine shows. Opened in 2007 in response to a need to provide a safe haven for 16 stranded dolphins whose home was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, Dolphin Cay is one of the world's largest open-air, man-made marine mammal habitats. Located on the west side of the Atlantis, Paradise Island property, the 14-acre environment includes an 11-acre lagoon complete with coves and sandy beaches, 7 connected "residential" pools, a state-of-the-art education center, an animal rescue-rehabilitation hospital, an animal pharmacy, a quarantine, and a separate sea lion center. Dolphin Cay is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums (AMMPA), and the International Marine Animal Trainers' Association (IMATA). Through its partnerships with the University of Florida's School of Veterinary Medicine and University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, Dolphin Cay plays an active role in the development of the advanced research and knowledge about marine mammals. Every visit to Dolphin Cay supports the Atlantis Blue Project Foundation, creating and promoting solutions for a wide range of marine conservation challenges from coral reef degradation to marine species in decline.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 27, 2017

I surprised my mother with a trip to swim with the dolphins, a 20 year dream of her's and this experience was no disappointment! Well, except for one hiccup.

I booked our shallow water experience at 9am, we had to book it from our Coral Tower hotel room all the way to the Dolphin Cay. We RAN and it took us almost 20 minutes to get there. We made it a few minutes after 9 but were then told we were scheduled for 9:25. I checked my email again to make sure I wasn't delusional, sure enough I DID book 9am but there was no notification to alert us our time had been bumped, we could've slowed our roll a little.

We waited a few minutes outside watching the dolphins train across the way. Once the rest of our group arrived, we were given wet suits and sat inside a room watching an informational video about how the dolphins were brought to Atlantis. After a couple loops of that video, Caleb came in and began getting us pumped up about seeing the dolphins! He explained the rules on how to handle them and gave us a bit more info. We then headed outside again to get started!

Our photographer, Ashley, took photos of everyone in their groups before the dolphins were brought over. I wish I could recall our two dolphin trainers names, they were AWESOME! I was so overwhelmed and excited I completely blanked when they told us. They were sooo kind and funny! Our group was pretty small so we all had many opportunities to pet the dolphins and get our pictures with them, we also got to give them their fish treats or as our trainer called them "Scooby snacks!" Haha! It was all around such a wonderful experience that the trainers truly made even better. The dolphins are so adorable and skilled!

At the end we went to shower off and retrieve our things from our lockers before going to the gift shop to look at photos. There's several different options but we landed on purchasing 6 digital images for around $90. The photos were so cute and what better way to commemorate your experience with such magical creatures? We can't WAIT to go back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,125)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"disney cruise"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed September 25, 2017 via mobile

We got to the Cay and everything is as it should be and we go to the beach because we were early. I was literally 3" in the water and the 'lifeguard' say to get out of the water. Excuse me, I said. She said 'You can only be in the water when you do your interaction'. I said 'So I have access to the beach all day but... can't get into the water??' She said that was right. I was not happy, at all. 'I asked her if I could have my $537 back because access to the beach without being able to get I'm the water was totally worthless.' We planned the whole day around the Cay... just don't get in the water. Total, 100% BS!! It's like having all day access to Aquaventure water park but not be able to actually use the waterpark. Amazingly we didn't see anyone else who decided to take them up on their offer and why actually have a 'lifeguard' if... nobody can get in the water?? Don't choke on the sand, the lifeguard will save you?? Terrible. First time we got ripped off anywhere at the Atlantis. Stay another night, pay for a flight back, pay for your meals the enitre trip just don't get ripped off... or pay $190 for pictures because you can't take your own.

1  Thank Brian C
AtlantisBahamasTeam, Manager at Dolphin Cay, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2017

Hi Brian C, We are disappointed to hear about your experience at Atlantis. We listen to all of our guest feedback and we will be sure to share your comments with our internal team as we look to maintain Atlantis at the highest standards for all of our guests. We do hope that you will consider joining us again on future trips. - Atlantis Management Team

Reviewed September 20, 2017

My friend and I had an awesome deep water encounter with Hercules. However, the line for ordering photos (you are not allowed to take any of your own, which stinks!) was very, very long. So, my friend and I went and ate lunch and came back to a shorter line. The person who helped us failed to give us the card to access our photos. We didn't know we were supposed to get one. So, after waiting to receive an e-mail for several days, I contacted them and got a prompt response and access code. But, they sent us the wrong pictures! Have e-mailed and called several times now with no response. So, we spent $90+ on pictures and do not have a single picture to remember our experience by! Very disappointing!

Reviewed September 16, 2017

We visited Dolphin Cay during our visit to Atlantis while on a recent NCL cruise. The excursion was very expensive but well worth it! Atlantis is beautiful and, contrary to what we had read, the employees were very friendly and helpful. Our family of four was part of a group of 6 which spent a good amount of time with a 22 year old male dolphin. We got to pet the dolphin, swim with it, hitch a ride on its fin and have it push us through the water while on our back. We even got to feed the dolphin and of course pose for great photos which we purchased. Each person also got a free mask, snorkel and gear bag as well as lunch.

We then spent the rest of the day on water rides including the surge, current and leap of faith. They had jet skis and snorkeling also but we ran out of time. We liked it so much we are considering a direct trip to Atlantis.