“Great for young children and tweens (not so much teens)”
Review of Dolphin Cay

Dolphin Cay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Sometimes the best way to describe something is by saying what it isn't. Dolphin Cay isn't an aquarium, it's not an entertainment facility, and it doesn't stage marine shows. Opened in 2007 in response to a need to provide a safe haven for 16 stranded dolphins whose home was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, Dolphin Cay is one of the world's largest open-air, man-made marine mammal habitats. Located on the west side of the Atlantis, Paradise Island property, the 14-acre environment includes an 11-acre lagoon complete with coves and sandy beaches, 7 connected "residential" pools, a state-of-the-art education center, an animal rescue-rehabilitation hospital, an animal pharmacy, a quarantine, and a separate sea lion center. Dolphin Cay is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums (AMMPA), and the International Marine Animal Trainers' Association (IMATA). Through its partnerships with the University of Florida's School of Veterinary Medicine and University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, Dolphin Cay plays an active role in the development of the advanced research and knowledge about marine mammals. Every visit to Dolphin Cay supports the Atlantis Blue Project Foundation, creating and promoting solutions for a wide range of marine conservation challenges from coral reef degradation to marine species in decline.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My 11 yr. old girl loved it but my 14 y r. old boy - not so much. It was short and very expensive so make sure your children are very excited. For my daughter, swimming with a dolphin was incredible!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We just visited Atlantis while on a cruise and did the Dolphin Cay shallow water experience. It was pricey but I am glad we went. My 10 year old daughter loved it. I would say the trick is which trainer you are with. Ours was OK but I could tell one of the other groups had a much better time.

1  Thank TeocaliJeepin
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I were concerned about the price of the Dolphin Deep Swim adventure (~$200 per person for 30 minutes of activity), but decided to go for it anyway.

Absolutely worth it. We had fantastic and fun trainers guiding us through, brand new snorkling sets and bag that come free with our adventure, and the experience of being pushed by a dolphin while clinging and screaming with fun on a boogie-board.

We were all given opportunities to pose with the dolphins, kiss them, and pet them as we snorkeled and water scootered alongside of the dolphins.

We wish the photos weren't so expensive ($70 for the cheapest set), but they were worth the buy at the end. So much fun!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had done a swim with dolphins experience before in Mexico, but it really wasn't much of anything, so we wanted to do it again at Atlantis. Dolphin Cay did not disappoint. We did the deep water swim and it was amazing! You get one on one time with the dolphins and the photographers take amazing photos to capture the experience. There is a private beach for family or friends who are not participating to relax on and the changing facilities are top notch. There is a reason this is a world class facility.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am so happy we decided to have the shallow water Dolphin encounter, it was such an amazing experience. I highly recommend it to anyone!