“Beware Budget Car Rental Nassau”
Review of Nassau

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Weston, Florida
129 helpful votes
“Beware Budget Car Rental Nassau”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Budget in Nassau rents cars that would not be allowed on the road in the US. My last rental had a badly cracked windshield and bad brakes. One of the bald tires went flat and had to changed by the side of the road. The jack handle was missing so changing the tire was a real pain. The spare tire had a slow air leak so we could never pass a gas station without filling up the tire. The folks at the hotel told us about stories about bad rentals from Budget.

When we returned the car, they tried to charge us for a new tire and jack handle! Bad cars, surly staff, rotten service.

8 Thank DPB123
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
15 helpful votes
“Cruise to Bahamas”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I just came back from a cruise to Nassau Bahamas and I had an awesome time. The food and people were great. I went on Norwegian Jewel ship. The beaches were beautiful.

1 Thank coolcolors32
Orlando, Florida
59 helpful votes
“Great lil getaway!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Nassau is a lovely city that still maintains a friendly warm atmosphere. We went on a short (3 day) cruise out of Port Canaveral, Florida on one of the Carnival boats which I'll have to detail in another post (overall it was "good"!) Nassau is a completely walkable town to most areas of interest for most travellers.
We walked to Ft. Findlay and then behind the fort is the queen's staircase that leads you down into an open area with some of the standard local fare (read t-shirts and beads). We enjoyed the fort very much- later, we went to Atlantis- be forewarned! The taxi drivers charge you $6-$9 ea. way and WONT tell you that Atlantis now charges for a "vistior" pass of $20- which is really sad on their part- as it is a lovely hotel that they should show off to others and maybe garner some needed business? . I refused to pay for this pass andsimply walked in from the outside- avoiding the "security" guards posted up near the front. The aquarium in the lobby is really something- but not worth a "visitor" fee. The beaches near Atlantis are top notch and free- a little walking however is required. I'd also tell you to just avoid the straw market- located near the cruise ship entry / exit point. They all sell the same stuff, and personally- I dont want to haggle and argue the price of a t-shirt while on vacation. Nassau is a great place to buy rum and other spirits, just be sure to look around and compare a little bit and buy BEFORE you get back on the ship - makes for less weight lugging around a bunch of hooch- Also ask for some free samples- there is alot of variety in Bahama rum!

2 Thank wrenvander_11
Citrus Springs, Florida
74 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We recently went on a cruise that took us back to Nassau. We have been there many times, and since we don't do water sports or gamble, we decided to at least get off the ship and walk the town.

They still haven;t cleaned up the mess from the fire, so it still looks very bad. We walked to the Queens staircase, and were saddend to see that the waterfall has been "turned off" due to low water pressure. All the beautiful flowers and fauna that used to be there are also gone. What has replaced it is tacky souveniers and hairbraiding.

We then walked to the water tower as we were told it was now open, and for 50 cents you could take the elevator to the top. Nope, Padlocked shut since the last time like 5 years ago. We also were going to visit fort fincastle (which used to be free, and you could walk around for photo opportunity. Now it costs $1 (not much) , but they seem to rush you along if you're not on a group tour.

Headed back down Bay Street, and then back to the ship.

Unless you are a shopper, gambler, ar water person.. skip this port, you'll enjoy the ship more.

2 Thank sasysutler
Orange County, CA
16 helpful votes
“Should have stayed on the ship”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was truly a disappointing destination. It appeared that the main attractions were either going to Atlantis Resort or a "cultural" tour with cab drivers. I opted out of going to the resort, as I like to learn about the country that I'm visiting and I decided to go to the landmarks on our own.

Once we made it up to the historical landmarks, the condition of the area was quite disappointing. The landscape was uncared for, the hardscape was uncared for, and I was unsure which guides were providing the correct information, as I heard two give distinct information about the same landmark.

It's sad to know that tourists provide so much to the local economy, yet the money is not used to preserve the richness of the island.

If I were to return, I would not get off the ship.

3 Thank karlaro

Been to Nassau? Share your experiences!