“Powerboat Adventure”
Review of Stingray Adventure

Stingray Adventure
Ranked #50 of 129 things to do in Nassau
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Was the best experience I have ever done. Beat the Grandcanyon by helicopter hands down. This is a MUST do when visiting Nassau.

3  Thank Jennifer H

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We signed up for the "stingray adventure" tour on our Royal Caribbean cruise. The cost was $47 per adult and I think about $39 for kids. We had a five minute walk from the pier to the shuttle boat. The boat ride to Blackbeard's Cay was about thirty minutes. Once there, we put our belongings on a chair and headed over to the fenced in part of the beach where you could get in the water with the stingrays. There were people there to help you with snorkel gear or if you wanted to feed or hold the stingrays and take pictures. It was so amazing to have the opportunity to hold one of these creatures in your arms. After about thirty minutes of playing with the stingrays, we headed back to our chairs. We went to the other side of the beach to do some swimming and look for shells. There is a bar and snack area on the beach. We got a cheeseburger, bag of chips and a can of Coke and it was $10. Some advice, there are people selling bottled water for only $1 before you get on the ferry. We got to spend about an hour and a half at the beach before it was time to get back on the boat to go back to the ship. We got on the boat at 10:30 AM, to the island around 11ish and had to be back at the boat between 1:15 AND 1:30 PM. Not a long day at the beach but it was enough time to relax. My five year old really enjoyed this excursion as well as the rest of our group. I would recommend this tour and would do it again next time I am in Nassau.

12  Thank jpatter471
Reviewed October 19, 2011

It was cool being able to swim and interact with the stingrays

12  Thank Shawn L
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My three teenagers loved swimming with the stingrays, petting, feeding and holding them. This provided unique photo experiences that they thought were great.

The ferry returns to Nassau at 12 noon, carrying the cruiseship passengers that must return to the ship on time. But it comes back and takes the rest of the adventurers back to Nassau at 4PM, giving you ample time for beachbumming, walking around the island, etc.

Recommendations:

- There are plenty loungechairs on the beach, but no umbrellas, so take yours.
- The lunch they offered as part of the tour is good (nice grilled hamburger, chips and a can of soda) but if you plan on staying until 4PM, by all means pack some extra sandwiches and drinks.

Enjoy!

6  Thank Cynthia R
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We booked this as an excursion with Disney Cruise Lines. I think that is an important distinction with other reviews because we were a large group, so we didn't experience difficulties that I read about in other reviews where people had a hard time finding the boat.

We disembarked the cruise ship, were guided to our boat, and took a short pleasurable ride to BlackBeard's Cay. There they let us hang out on their beach for a short time before calling us to the Stingray enclosure. There two guides had us put on float vests and put us in two parallel lines for feeding. The stingrays were obviously accustomed to this formation of people as they started swimming between the lines and even between the legs of people looking for food. The guides then gave out frozen squid to feed to the stingrays. I could tell that some guests did not know what they were getting into, as having the stingrays swim into them as they were searching for food really bothered them and they left the enclosure.

After this point, they let people put on masks and snorkels to swim in the enclosure to view the stingrays. My younger son, who doesn't swim, wanted to stay in the enclosure for quite a while. The guides held some of the more docile stingrays for people to touch. The guides were very nice to us (no doubt some influence of Disney Cruise being exercised here), and my younger son pretty much got 20 minutes of time to pet the ray by himself since everyone else left the enclosure for the beach.

The beach itself was nice. I did do a little snorkeling and saw a barracuda (swimming pretty far out) but little else. There are some rays swimming around the beach area too - we learned later that they release the rays when there are storms predicted for the safety of the rays. When the storm ends, they open the enclosure, and the rays return.
We didn't partake in any other activities offered, such as jet ski rentals.

The food served was nothing special, but at that point we wanted something to fill our bellies, so it served it's purpose.

I thought the company did a pretty good job and this excursion was a bargain price compared to some other offerings. One other big advantage was the accepted age range - our son is 4 and would not have been able to do the ray adventure on Castaway Cay.

4  Thank dukehuh