“Pleasant meal in the Islands”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Skans - CLOSED

Cafe Skans
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bahamian, Seafood, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Rochester, New York
1,910 restaurant reviews
“Pleasant meal in the Islands”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Our entire family decided to dine at Skans after consulting a local police officer, who recommended it highly. Skans is a unpretentious luncheon restaurant (owned by Mr. George Skandaliaris) located right on Bay Street in Nassau. It features a lot of the local dishes that you hope to find there, such as conch fritters, conch soup, and lots of fish salads. It's got a large (relatively) dining room, so it can fit a lot of the diners who filter off the cruise ships in search of a local meal.

For my lunch, I ordered an appetizer of conch fritters for the table, and a large bowl of conch chowder for my main course. (Can you tell I like seafood?) The fritters were nice, and a very large portion. The conch chowder was only mediocre, and didn't taste much like conch. My wife had a conch salad that was very nice-looking, and not mayonnaise-based. Very nice!

The entire bill came to only $81.00 for six of us, including appetizers and drinks, which was a very good bargain. I'd gladly recommend this place for anyone looking for a sit-down lunch in downtown Nassau.

• Visited November 2013

Owensboro, Kentucky
“Good food on Bay Street”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Cafe Skans is a clean, decent sized cafe righ on Bay street (the main shopping area) in Nassau. We were there for a late lunch. There are Carribbean and 'merican options available if you are wanting to eat away from your resort or cruise ship.

The Good: The Bahamian food here is pretty darn good. I had a fried grouper that was fresh (as it tends to be in Nassau. My wife had Ribs that were fall off the bone tender although they probably were baked instead of grilled. The peas n rice were comperable to most places in Nassau which is always good. There was a side dish that I absolutely fell in love with that consisted of potatoes and vegetables cooked in a tomatoe sauce that had a lot of Bay leaf and Thyme in it. It was so good I'm still trying to recreate it at home ha ha! Our friends had burger and fries, they said they were just ok, but still better than resort/cruise fare.

The Bad: well, It's a restaurant in the Bahamas, so service is very slow and inattentive. Just expect that at most places unless you find a hole in the wall where the owner is the waitress or cook. Food is usually pretty expensive in Nassau but you will get a good portion size. And like most Bahamian places.....the gratuity is added on. Remember, there is no sales tax in the Bahamas.

Recommendations: Get a seat by the window so you can people watch as you enjoy your authentic Bahamian grub.

Visited April 2013
Essex
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Fed up of overpriced food by the hotel pool, we ventured out here. It's a great little place with plenty of caribbean and western type options - nothing overly fancy, just well cooked food. Air conned, decent value compared to hotels and some other restaurants and cheery staff.

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have visited The Bahamas several times and I must say I always make it a point to stop at this restaurant/diner. This place has the tastiest Bahamian food in Nassau, With a good selection of Greek and American food. Friendly service and a busy place.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Josh C
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Best Local We Visited”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We tried to avoid chains and eat mostly local. This was by far our favorite. We actually dined 3x here. Only warning is no free refills on drinks like we were used to in the States.

• Visited June 2013