“Natural style and excellence”

Marley Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Malibu, California
“Natural style and excellence”
Reviewed September 23, 2009

My daughter (17) and I stayed 4 wonderful, relaxing days at this terrific boutique resort property. From our greeting upon arrival, to pool-side service and the upscale dining experiences... Everything exuded style, class and sophistication without being pretentious. The grounds are spectacular, rooms beautiful and the superb service is Caribbean style--unhurried but pleasing. Spa has the same beautiful decor and low-key Caribbean style but extraordinary services and masseuses.

This resort is for those of us wanting peace, serenity and service...The hustle & noisy, mega-resorts and energy of Nassau is just down the road. (In fact, we continued our stay in the Bahamas at that which has no name :) You can see my review for that property also.)

One of our more enjoyable moments is starting a mini-trend of dragging the comfortable lounge chairs into ankle/calf deep water for tanning. If you want the unhurried Caribbean style combined with superb atmosphere & service...Three little birdies and a natural mystic blowing at the Marley Resort and Spa

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank SanMo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
san luis obispo, ca
Reviewed August 18, 2009

This is abosilutly the very best place I,ve ever been to in my life. The staff was very accomodating and friendly, always had a smile on their faces. The grounds was amazing. The food was fantastic. I loved it an am planning to returen in November and as often as possible there after.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank calvarez
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 11, 2009

For the area, it’s a nice hotel, but I certainly wouldn’t go back to this place. Cable Beach isn’t quite what we were expecting. We had envisioned a nice quiet, expansive beach—it’s quiet, definitely, but going for a walk down it will take you approx. two minutes. You’ll have to get in your car and drive somewhere if you want a nice beach for snorkeling or anything else.

Although the rooms are spacious and nice, I would not pay the money to stay here again. If I were going to the Bahamas again, I’d pick one of the out islands—this area is simply run down and overpriced. Whatever activity you decide to do, expect to pay a lot and feel disappointed.

The staff is not particularly friendly, though they aren’t rude and do provide some assistance when asked, they certainly don’t go out of their way. The concierge was somewhat helpful and available. There’s supposed to be coffee ready at the outside patio every morning at 8, but I wouldn’t count on it. Most days we had to go hunt someone down for it and when you do get it, it’s going to cost you $10 a pot. The food is good at the hotel but expensive—but honestly, everywhere is expensive so it’s not any more expensive than any of the nicer restaurants in the area. There is a bus stop in front of the hotel that comes every 10 min. or so up until early evening, so that’s a great thing to take advantage of to go into town or to the ferry to go over to Paradise Island.

If you go on a snorkeling cruise, avoid Barefoot Sailing, the one that the hotel recommends—the guy who runs it is angry and a huge wet towel. It is entertaining how odd he is and how he lectured guests about various things, but I can imagine some might not want that kind of entertainment on vacation. The lunch sucks—he BBQd chicken/ribs and there was so much kerosene on it my husband and I were burping kerosene for several hours (I’m not sure what would have happened if we were around an open flame :o) The snorkeling is okay but he makes you wear little waist floatation devices (I’ve been on dozens and dozens of snorkeling tours all over and have never had to do that, sure, it’s offered for people who want them but not mandatory) which is kind of a bummer if you like diving down (and of course he lectured us about touching the reef which is common knowledge for anyone who snorkels).

Bottom line: don’t waste your money on a vacation here at this hotel. The articles and press for this hotel led me to believe it was going to be a great little getaway but I’ve never been so disappointed and spent as much for a vacation I enjoyed so little.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CritiquerCA
England
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband and I travel a long way to celebrate our honeymoon in Bahamas. Went we got to hotel there it was ok except for a bit dust on furniture. The room was nice but the television did not work. When we arrive we took lunch in the restaurant we waited hour and half for food that was not taste well and cost too much. We ask for ice cream but you did not have. We wanted a massage but no masseuse or masseur for two times, awful. I was very disturb when I got to the pool there were lots of children playing and toys and clothing were scattered every where. The hot tub was running over. Not what I espected. the toilet at the pool was untidy and not attended. the morning we had breakfast and the food was not properly placed on the plate. they did not take off the linen we use to have the beds change every day when we travel to five star hotels.

The night when we return the television was not fix. It was OK. The lady at the desk moved us to another room. In the morning we got thrown out off the room. The lady said that we had to move back because a very important gueest , " Mr. Marley" is coming to this room. My husband was upset because we paid more than 500 us dollars for one night and were on the honeymoon. Why did they kicked us out for the "owners" I thought this was nasty and not accomodating. My mother is the editor at "Bertrand Vancances" this is French travel magazine. I can't wait to tell her. I tried to call her from the room the the telephone does not work. We check out and spend a few days at the Atlantis . We should have stayed there the entire honeymoon. This was a total disaster. Except for the nice people always smile and greet. Only two beach umbrellas, and you have 16 rooms. We don't mind paying but it must be nice and worth it. We had to buy soap????We got one when we arrive and one bath I was finished we ask the housekeeper she said that we can get it tomorrow we just arrived.

Very pretty furniture and nice view for the beach room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maxmax72
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Upon your arrival the reggae music puts you into the mood for the relaxation you so do need. We immediately felt at home, with the staff who are so genuinely caring. The beach is very private and has the beautiful white sand. The staff knows your name, it is a small property and a smile is always a greeting. We played backgammon, drank plenty, ate wonderful food, and had breakfast on our patio each day. I have been a visitor to Nassau for many years, and this is my favorite place to stay, and I would recommend it to all of you who like to have a special place to get away from our busy world we live in.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife and I visited New Providence Island (Nassau) in early July and decided to spend all 5 nights of our trip at Marley Resort and Spa based largely upon all the positive tripadvisor reviews/forum comments on the place. Bottom line, we weren’t disappointed at all. We’d definitely stay there again and would have no qualms recommending the place to friends/family/etc. Attached are some pics of the resort not yet seen on tripadvisor or the resort's website I believe.

Pros (in no particular order):
- given its size and location the place definitely feels private and secluded, though a short bus/cab ride puts you easily enough to everything (5 mins ride to Casino @ Sheraton/Wyndham, 10 airport, 10 Fish Fry, 15 DT Nassau, 20 Atlantis/Paradise Island, and 20 Stuart Cove);
- it’s new and was done w/ quality in mind, so everything from the landscaping, linens, rooms, bathrooms, pool deck, bar/restaurant/beach furniture was clean and appeared to be in great shape;
- all the staff was great to us, very helpful and accommodating when needed, otherwise left us to ourselves;
- pool decks, pools chairs, hot tub, towel service were all great and completely adequate for this size resort;
- beach adjacent to the resort was smooth, clean, and provide plenty of space to spread out, water was crystal clear and you could walk out atleast 6-7 feet deep w/out worrying about alot of rocks/coral (rocks/coral further straight out for good snorkeling though);
- it’s a public beach with public access adjacent to the resort, but we never saw more than 10 or so total people on this beach at any one time;
- resort provides 6-8 very nice lounge chairs and a couple of umbrellas out at the beach;
- 5-15 mins walk from the resort gets you multiple grocery stores (5,10), Bally’s Total Fitness (5 – and it’s free for MRS quests), scooter rental place at Land Shark Divers Resort (5), Poop Deck (5 – overrated IMO), Sbarro (10), Capriccio (10), some British type pup (10), Indigo Café (15), liquor store (15), dive/sport stores (15), Burger King (15), Sandals Bahamian Resort (15), etc., etc.
- Cable Beach 10 bus takes you anywhere from DT Nassau up past Compass Point for $1.25/person each way;
- Bose wave music system and +/- 32" LCD flat panel TV in the room were nice;
- catching the Bob Marley biography movie in the memorial room of the main building was pretty cool way to kill time during an afternoon thunderstorm; and
- Bob Marley tunes playing gently in the background throughout the resort, which was particularly great when at the pool, hot tub, beach);

Cons (in no particular order):
- no loaner snorkel gear available at the resort;
- no coffee maker in our room, had to go down to the bar each morning and pay for a cup of joe;
- only two small windows in our room (Talking Blues) so there wasn’t a ton of nature light in the room during the day (but this was a positive for sleeping in);
- no gym on site, Bally’s is free for MRS guests and an easy enough walk not to be annoying but an onsite gym would have been better;
- no convenience store/mart on site, one has to walk to the grocery/liquor store if they don’t want to pay the onsite bar/restaurant prices for everything like regular/adult beverages/snacks/etc.;
- no mini fridge in our room (they are provided in other more expense rooms I believe), but w/out the convenience store/mart on site there really should be a mini fridge in every room IMO;
- wireless internet was not reliable in our room, some days we got the signal great, other days we weren’t able to connect at all (resort has a desktop w/ wired internet access in the main house available for guest use though);
- hot tub is almost too hot, wife/I couldn’t last more than 10 mins in that thing, definitely the hottest hot tub we’ve ever felt;
- built in gratuity on every meal/drink bought at the resort, but that was pretty much standard island operating procedure; and
- approx. 12% room toll/levy and 10% service charge per day added to our final booked room rate upon checkout and final payment, came to another $65/night for our room (wasn’t too difficult for me to stomach because I had read about all the crazy Atlantis add. fees/charges and the Sheraton/Wyndham resort fees before we booked).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed July 3, 2009

My husband and I booked directly from the resort last minute as we needed to sneak away for a quick weekend getaway. We left Friday and returned Sunday so we did not miss any work so a resort close to the airport was a priority. The resort is only 10 minutes away from the airport.

We felt like we were staying at a very rich relative's home rather than a resort. The pool is small but lovely and the direct access to the beach is great. It is not a large beach but it is private. There was no drama with getting a lounge chair and we did not have to play the towel game as you need to at other resorts. The bar and restaurant was perfect and simple. The spa was also beautiful and the couple's massage was great! We enjoyed the little room that has Bob Marley photos and videos. The rooms are gorgeous and bed's comfortable. We had the Positive Vibrations room and loved it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
Sandyport Beach Resort
Sandyport Beach Resort
#3 of 37 in Nassau
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Marley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!